Hideaway Strath What if what you do to survive
-Dark of Soul, Strong of Body-
306 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
All Welcome 
Artok moved restlessly about the pack lands. He filled caches, urinated on the borders, but he could not stop the restlessness of his soul. He had always been this way, but it was growing worse again. He didn't want to leave, but he wanted something more. Something to strive for, something to do.

His limp was heavy as it always was, and for a moment he absolutely loathed his body, and he briefly thought of the wolf that had done this all those years ago, when he was barely out of his den. Yes he would forever remember her.

He bent his nose to the ground and began to sniff out a game trail. If he could do nothing else, he would hunt.
Artok has a permanent limp in his front right foreleg.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Beta*
1,054 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Medic
I've been waiting for this...

Arlette was familiar with the territory. She had lived in the Strath for a long time, she had given birth to her family here. But it was different with all the other wolves, and without the memories of past wolves. Still, she was determined to get to know the wolves that joined the Saints while she had been away. The female was not really out to meet all the members, but more see who she would run into while going through the territory.

The albino made her way through the forest out in the open of the clearing. Where she saw a male she had not seen yet. He looked older than the average wolf. It made her more interested. With age came knowledge. He looked also pretty battered. Arlette let out a chuff, trotting towards him with a friendly wag of her tail. She was the reincarnated version of her grandmother, save for all the scars that littered one side of her face. She was not embarrassed about them anymore.

"Hello," she greeted with a warm smile, as she approached. Her body showed that her life hadn't been easy, still her red eyes were warm and welcoming instead of cold. "We haven't met yet."
306 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger

Mature Content Warning

This thread has been marked as mature. By reading and/or participating in this thread, you acknowledge that you are of age or have permission from your parents to do so.

The participants have indicated the following reason(s) for this warning: Swearing
Oh Artok. You're probably gonna get a pretty emotional response out of him, but I'm not sure which way it will go :D <3 

Adlartok had smelled some new wolves throughout the hold. He had briefly met the newer young medic, dropped off some cobwebs for her, but then he had been on his way. His visit with her was an uneasy one, it reminded him of his own infirmary. For the rest of those that were here. He stayed away from them, on purpose. If he ran into them he supposed he would speak. Miss. Scarlett used to wonder at his outskirt wandering, but she had still loved him anyway. The one wolf who had loved him simply for him.

Artok heard a chuff and he turned, but before he could get a word in edgewise his heart rate kicked up a notch and he actually stumbled. He stared at her, ears to his skull. He closed his eyes and looked again. Shook his head all around, his chest hurt, his stomach hurt, his breathing grew erratic. He had to take a step back.

Holy fucking shit. He murmured.

She looked exactly like Miss. Scarlett, except she was clearly younger. He had to sit down, so sit down he did. He kept staring, he opened his mouth to speak and all that came out was more unintelligible drivel. Her voice rang out, kind and soft and warm, her eyes kind as well. She looked so much like fucking Miss. Scarlett it made his heart hurt. Finally, he gritted his teeth and spoke his voice clear as it always was, but none of it dripping with it's usually condescencion.

Hello. I apologize. You look like someone I knew once upon a time. I'm Adlartok Arrluk.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Beta*
1,054 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Medic
Poor baby :'( I'm excited!!

The other seemed to have quite the reaction to her appearance. The female look in his reaction with curiosity on her mind. At first she thought that the male reacted to her scars or her ghostly appearance. However, the way he reacted was almost like an over reaction. She was reminded of one that was seeing a ghost. She halted in her approach, not wanting to startle him too much. He cursed, but she wasn't offended or shocked by that.

He was staring at her. Arlette had to shyly look away for a brief moment. "I had a feeling that was be the case. I'm Arlette. Nice to meet you, Adlartok," she greeted with a dip of a head. She wondered if he might have known her uncle, she looked like him, she knew that. Or perhaps he knew her grandmother? She gave him another glance, she wasn't sure if he was old enough for that.

"You might have met someone of my family, perhaps? Apparently the white coat with red eyes appears at times in our bloodline," she offered, her tone still friendly. Though when she mentioned her family her eyes turned a little distant and sad. "My uncle Xan, perhaps? Although, my mother said I exactly look like my grandmother Scarlett, hence my name is Arlette." Maybe she was silly, and there were more wolves like her, and she made assumptions.
306 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Me too. :)

Artok felt like an ass, especially as he looked again and realized the girl had scars on his face, much like he did. Though hers looked bigger, more severe. He wondered at them for a mere moment, but then he began to spiral again. He couldn't quite get over her similarities to Miss. Scarlett.

She looked away shy, and he amost ghosted foward to touch, to soothe, as he would have done, for Miss. Scarlett, but he had to stop. He had not touched a wolf to comfort them, since Miss. Scarlett. He had to force himself to stay still. Then she said her name, and his heart began to beat hard again. He stared upwards and wondered if Miss. Scarlett was doing this. He had met Taqtuk, and now this wolf that looked so much like her. He couldn't breathe.

Her next words turned his insides to ice and he gave a small, whine. So she was from Miss. Scarlett.

I don't know your uncle Xan I don't believe, unless his given name was Alexander, but I knew your grandmother. She saved me, and raised me.

He motioned to the ruined leg of his, and pointed to the scars on his nose, the scars in his back. She put me back together again, and nursed me back to health. She never wavered. She was the best wolfess I have ever met. And she had been, and he missed her. Of anyone else in the world, he missed her.

His own eyes went distant. I was living there when she birthed the four younglings. Alexander, Desna, Nanook and Sesi, but i left soon after that.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Beta*
1,054 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Medic
Arlette knew for certain this man knew her family when he spoke of a woman named Scarlett that birthed Desna, Nanook, and Alexander. She hadn't heard a lot of this Sesi, but that might be an aunt her mother had never talked about. Her heart ached. Nanook. She had saved her. It seemed almost fascinating how history seemed to repeat. Perhaps that was the common thread in their family line, saving someone else.

Her eyes fell to the man's scars, and his leg. She figured something was wrong was it as she had not seen him move. Perhaps there was something she could do, but those injuries seemed old. He seemed to look back on that time as she had been. "My mother is Desna, or was known as Valette," she explained. "She changed her name. She told me a bit of my grandmother. My mother didn't have a lot time with Scarlett. When she was not even a year my grandmother died from her injuries inflicted by a cougar." Those terrible beasts, she had to shudder. "I'm sorry if you came back to find her. She hasn't been alive for a long time. I never got to meet her either. But the things you say about her, seem to be what I've also heard about her too."

Arlette paused for a moment. "Not many of Scarlett's descendants are alive. I'm afraid," she admitted. Arlette licked her lips. Her family had been a chaos, a mess of emotions. She still hadn't really progressed that her own mother was gone as well. There was still anger towards her. Anger for treating her the way her mother had, but also angry she would never be able to tell that to her. "My grandmother... was a medic too? Since she tried to heal you?" she asked curiously, pushing those thoughts away.
306 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Artok felt her gaze on his scars, and his leg. The muscle jumped in the leg as it sometimes did, and the limp was still pronounced, but he was healthy for his age, other than that. He had learned to use his disability as Miss. Scarlett had told him to do.

At the next words, his heart leaped. So she was Desna's daughter. The one he had favored over the others. Granted he had not had them long, but Desna, had been the one he most wanted to protect. Perhaps he could protect this one. Where he had failed with Desna and Miss Scarlett, with this Arlette he could stay near her, protect her until his number was up, which let's be honest. He was old So it wasn't far away.

Artok's chest tightened and a low, keen came from deep within, surprising even himself, and he spoke with such vehemence. I never should have left her. I promised her I would protect her. I promised.

He stood and moved about, the limp pronounced, but his gait as even as it could be. I didn't come back for her. I honestly don't know why I came back. Probably because this is where I spent the most time in my entire life. And it had been he had roamed before he met Miss. Scarlett and he had roamed after. He quieted his tumulteous thoughts and settled to his hindquarters again.

At her next question, Artok chuckled and shook his head. Miss. Scarlett was a mother. She was one of those wolfess's that just existed to care and raise babies. That was her main goal. She would adopt all us strays. Nea, myself and many others I am sure. She was a caretaker. And she was the best. She protected us, raised us, saved us. She was the best wolfess. I don't boast a love for many Miss. Arlette, as a matter of fact I loathe most more than I love. But Miss. Scarlett I loved her. Absolutely fucking adored her. I would have laid my life for hers in a minute. You are a lucky wolfess to be related to her with binds of blood, and to look like her. Prettiest she wolf ever. And you have her kind eyes.

He nodded in absolute conviction. He believed what he had say absolute truth. He was not one to make lies. He was more honest than he was not, and most of the time his truths were harsh and heavy and unyielding, but for this wolfess. This grandaughter of Miss Scarlett, well she would get his best. Because she deserved his best, because her grandmother was his mother.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Beta*
1,054 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Medic
Arlette watched the twitch in his muscle. She figured that if the male had the limp when he had been young, then he had gotten quite old with it. It was maybe a nuisance but at least the male could survive. Arlette's gaze softened when the male exclaimed that he shouldn't have left her. She shook her head. "Don't blame yourself. What I've learned about life so far is that it does what it wants. Even if you would have been with her, there might have been other consequences. You cannot always be around to protect someone. It isn't realistic," she returned quietly. She knew that all too well. She had lost so many over her mere four years of life.

Arlette was glad for him that he had returned for different reasons. She hated to disappoint him. It was never fun to hear that someone died, especially someone that was special for you in the recent or in the past years. She quietly listened to Adlartok and what he had to say about her grandmother. Honestly, she sounded wonderful. She was a little charmed that he addressed her with 'Miss'. It was overall extremely endearing to hear how fond he was of her grandmother. He even flattered her that he called pretty. She flushed a little but dipped her head in thanks. It was a nice compliment, especially with her face full of scars. "Those are really sweet words. If you wish we can one day travel to her final resting place as a way to give some closure?" She was not sure if he wished for that, or that it had already been a chapter he closed.

Arlette looked at the man with some new found respect, the way he talked about Scarlett. "May... May I ask why you left her?," she asked. She figured she might some more personal questions too. She was more than willing to open up. "It seems though, that life wasn't done with you in our lives. I'm really glad for it," she hummed. "The Saints, they have become my new family though. I was in this pack before. My... previous mate lived here. He was the General. They might be a rough bunch, and perhaps a little murderous, but each of them is truly loyal. Each one would die to protect the other." She might look like a weird fit but somehow it clicked. She was quiet and kind but it was sometimes exactly what these wolves needed. "Why did you join the saints?"
306 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger

Mature Content Warning

This thread has been marked as mature. By reading and/or participating in this thread, you acknowledge that you are of age or have permission from your parents to do so.

The participants have indicated the following reason(s) for this warning: Swearing

I am enjoying this emensely, thank you.

Artok had survived for years on his own. Even with the limp. I know that, but that is my biggest regret of my life. Was that I left her. And it was, if he could take anything back, anything, it would be that. He would have stayed, would have been the doting son, would have grown in the pack, and he possibly would have died next to her, or saved her. He wasn't certain.

Artok was actually surprised at his violent reaction. He had known Miss. Scarlett had a special place in his heart. Had realized this, she was the only one he thought of fondly and missed, but he hadn't realized how deep his affection truly went until just now. Hearing of her death. He thought about her offer and then gave a decisive nod.

I think I would like that. Thank you.

Artok's ears went to his skull and then back up as he thought of an answer. He wasn't certain why he had.Though one glaring reason was there.

I did not like her mate. He was not good for her. He didn't protect her. And she let him get away with shit she shouldn't have. But there was also upheaval in the pack, and by that point my opinion of packs had soured. I was in a pack, when a packmate gave me these scars, because I was not her child. But I was also young and angry and felt that she was better off without me. I was wrong.

He listened to her next words. That does not bother me. I am quite murderous and rough. I am quite literally an asshole, but I'm a loyal one.

Artok hmmed softly in thought. I have been a loner since I left when I was barely a year old. I decided that it was time to try for a pack again. When I met Warchief Fury, I liked her. She was no nonsense, straight to the point. I like that, Miss. Arlette. And I am an old man, now. The time of lone youth is done.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Beta*
1,054 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Medic
Omg same, it feels so nice to RP again. <3

Arlette offered a sympathetic smile to the older male. It made her think if she had regrets in her life. Did she regret saving Kaito from the cougar? Did she regret the hatred she had given her mother? She realized she didn't. Perhaps she regretted not standing up for herself enough throughout her life. "And the difficult part is that you can't really make up for that regret," Arlette sighed, getting the dilemma.

Arlette dipped her head, telling him that they could travel there when he would want to. Or when she was settled enough, and would be able to leave. His answer was so honest and interesting. Scarlett had a terrible mate? She remembered her own mother having trouble with her grandfather Kove leaving. Was that him? Probably. "I think your feelings about him were right. My mother was mad on her father for a long time for abandoning them. I don't know the details well. But he eventually joined our pack and they mended their relationship," Arlette explained. She hoped she wasn't throwing salt in the wound. Perhaps Adlartok didn't know that Scarlett was abandoned by them.

"When we are young it often feels the world is against you," she commented. "It is good that you can admit that you are wrong though." Arlette then chuckled. "Then you will fit right in. I can see why you would like the Saints." In a way she was a little reminded of her previous mate. His outlook, and calling himself an asshole. It made her smile, a more happy smile.

"That is interesting. Always alone? You never had a mate?," she asked curiously. "Fury is like that. I like that you joined this pack. Now you don't have to be alone anymore. I can show you all about pack life," she assured him with a smile. "Then you can give me some of your life wisdom in return."
306 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
It does <3

Artok didn't have any other regrets than just the one. And he wasn't even certain if it was a regret as much as it was yet another painful lesson, that he couldn't be counted on. Perhaps that was what all this proved. That he was indeed an infection as his uncle had often called him, that he was lazy and worthless, like many had thought, that he had the sneaking suspicion that the current male leader thought. Though, one thing was different. He was now at an age where he wanted to prove people wrong, even if it were too late.

You aren't wrong.

Artok let a small growl loose at the mention of the male Kove. He had hated him from the first time he had met him. Hated his absolute existence.

The only thing that Kove was good for, was giving Miss. Scarlett the one thing she wanted more than anything in the world, her own children and love. He gave her love however, backwards and self-serving it was. That was all she wanted. She often thought of herself as a monster and she wasn't, she absolute wasn't. There was not a lick of darkness in that femme. Nothing, she was just.

he sighed. Good. She was good.

He had nothing else to add about being young and feeling like the world was against them. He had every reason to feel that way. His mother died, his aunt was killed, his uncle abandoned him, the one time he found a place to stay on his own, and he was attacked. Then he was permanently maimed, his life was a series of the world is against you moments. She smiled happily, and it made Artok feel better. He had made her feel better for a brief moment.

He blinked an nodded. Always alone. I have never had a mate. I have had daliances. I may have pups out there, but the women wanted nothing from me, but that. Most i couldn't even tell you their names or their faces. Most of my daliances happened during breeding season, when no one is in their right mind. He briefly thought of the young male in the forest, but he kept that to himself for now, he was still going over it in his own head. He was a male of many stories.

He chuckled. I don't know if it could be rightly considered wisdom, but I will share it with you. And if you ever need anything, you ask.

He felt again the urge to punctuate his promise of sorts with a nudge, but he kept his body and muzzle to himself. This was not Miss. Scarlett, he couldn't be as familiar to her as he had been to her grandmother.

Why did you leave for a time, unless that is too hard to discuss? he did not know her story, but for the first time in a long time, he wanted too know someone else.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Beta*
1,054 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Medic
Arlette was interested to hear about Kove and learn about her grandfather in another way. She remembered how she met him in Bearclaw Valley, how she had brought him to her mother. She had been so excited to meet her grandfather. Her mother had not been that excited but after that the male had stayed. He had told her about his mistakes or regrets in life, just like Adlartok had done. "He admitted to regretting leaving her. But still, she didn't deserve to be left alone," Arlette admitted.

"It seems like a theme throughout our lives though," she started. "Grandma had Kove that left her. My father--- He left my mother as well. I don't know why. I can't really remember him now." All she knew was that he looked like her brother Merrit, or Merrit looked like him. However, she choose to just love Merrit as he was and how he looked. "And well, you guessed it. My own mate Derg. He vanished. I wouldn't say he left me, but I just know something happened to him," she sighed. Not sure why she was telling him--- Oh right. "So I don't think you missed out on a lot, on having a mate and all," she offered him.

"If I want to know something I will make sure to ask you then," she returned. Then Arlette cleared her throat at his question. She shook her head, not that she didn't want to tell him but because she honestly didn't know. "The Saints were in trouble. Lots of packs were after us. Nyra-- I mean Fury wanted me and my children to run. I refused. However, then one day I was hit on the head and things went black. I don't know how long I was out, but I was far away from the lands I knew." Arlette then paused. "I don't know what happened to my children... I eventually found my way back though. Hence why I returned. It is only recently I did. I hoped my children were safe, here. But they aren't," she ended quietly. Often she still felt like that young girl, not a strong and confident mother like her own mother always was.

"I'm now picking up the things where I left off," she admitted with a soft sigh. It was a lot to pick up on, remembering the news of Greyback and her Mother. Of Easthollow no longer existing. It was just all so strange. But there were some good wolves at the Saints, and she liked to focus on that.
306 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Artok listened and said nothing at furat. The he spoke. As he should've. He lost a good thing when he left Miss. Scarlett. But truth be told i left her too. So I have no right to judge him anymore

Artok shook his head. It's a shame. If your mother was anything like miss. Scarlett and you seem to be as well. You wanna fix everyone, and you have soft spot for the broken ones. Perhaps he hadn't missed much. He certainly didn't feel that he had. He wasn't really father or mate material as far as he could tell.

Artok frowned.
I'm sorry that happened to you. You want help searching for the pups you let me know.

He moved his leg, the muscle having tightened.

My understanding is we still have enemies. And well I've always like a good row. So they come I'm ready.::
Swiftcurrent Creek
Beta*
1,054 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Medic
Arlette realized she really liked Adlartok's answers and the way he was thinking. While he might not have liked her grandfather. There was little he could have done about it, or what he could do about it now. Plus he also left, so that was something that really struck with her. He wasn't hypocritical.

"My mother wasn't like my grandmother," she maybe spoke too quickly. "My mother had to lead Easthollow from before she was two years old, already losing her first love. My mother... She was strong. Always there for her pack. She did help a lot of others and was a Matriarch for many," she agreed. "My mother was not all sweet though. She spoke of grandma as too soft at times, too soft." She wasn't sure if Adlartok would agree to that.

"As for me. I guess I have that caring side too, perhaps also more timid than my mother. Getting my scars didn't help," she admitted. "The saints taught me they are to be admired." Arlette let out a soft shrug. "More happened to me over the years. I've learned that live goes on." She wouldn't think of this man as an asshole warrior now. She knew she was probably worried about him if a row broke out. She guess that she would never get over that. She would worry about Fury too. "Do you know who in particular?"
306 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Artok was many things, and he had gained some semblance of wisdom as he had aged.

Her words drew him pause and though a small part of him, the young child part. That inner child wanted to claim ignorance, that she was wrong about Miss. Scarlett, but she wasn't.

Miss. Scarlett was soft, sometimes too soft. She wanted to save everybody. Some aren't worth saving.

He was perhaps on that list, maybe she should have let him die.but if nothing else he could share her with her grandchildren who never met her.

I'm afraid I don't know. So i just watch and listen.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Beta*
1,054 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Medic
Arlette looked at Adlartok. She felt a little called out, not because of his words, but more in realizing that she was perhaps a lot more like her grandmother than she thought. "Kindness is free," she returned, that was something she had adopted over the years. She didn't say it too loudly, as being part of the Saints that wasn't the pack's philosophy. What a contradictory. It was a little silly.

"Let's do that. In the meanwhile, what were you planning on doing? Maybe I could help?" she spoke. Before she would exclude hunting from her skillset, but being on her own it had forced her into becoming one. She had had grudgingly remembered all her mother's lessons and had found some truth in them. Arlette also realized she would never be the fierce bison hunter her mother had been.
306 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Artok studied her as she looked at him. He could tell his words hadn't sat right, but she didn't seem upset, just a little disgruntled. Her next words drew him pause and he dipped his muzzle.

It is free to give, but what does it often cost you?

He had seen first hand how kindness could get you killed, or hurt or worse. Had seen how they had treated Miss. Scarlett in Duskfire, a she wolf who was kinder than anyone he had ever met in his life. They turned on her in a minute, because it was easy. Because they didn't like to face their own shortcomings when they looked at a wolf that was good and kind and sweet. They were ashamed, so they took it out on the one that gave their heart away freely.

He was kind, but only to those who deserved it. Like Miss. Scarlett, like Miss. Arlette, like Nala and Warchief Fury who had been kind to him.

I was going to fill the caches. I want to show my worth. Warchief Fury took a risk allowing me entry as old as I am. And I would repay that kindness ten fold.

Artok had always liked to hunt, even as a youngling. He had found solace in the trails he could follow, the ease with which his body responded, even ruined as it were. When he hunted, he could adapt and not be bothered. His scar was not an issue when he hunted.

He had even adapted his fighting style, but the simple fact was if utilized against him, the adaptation could also be his ruin. But he had determined the minute he enterered here. If Trouble came knocking. He'd throw the first punch figuratively speaking. With his death the others would get an advantage. It was why he had been the first at the borders to meet Tsunari.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Beta*
1,054 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Medic
Arlette opened her mouth to give a remark, but then closed it. She hadn't thought of it in that way. She didn't want to step away from her belief that quickly but it was something to consider. Then again, her kindness had gotten her places. The Saints had never abused it. "That is good wisdom." She would have a good think about it.

"Alright, then let me help. I feel the same way about Fury." She liked Adlartok, he had a realistic view and knowing he was connected to her grandma. It was also just nice to have some social contact again.

end here?
306 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ranger
Artok didn't wish the she wolf in front of him to change her kindness. Just have her be gently wary, that sometimes Kindness could kill you. He had always had a more cynical approach about that, and sometimes he wished he wasn't as such. But he had survived this long, so maybe there was some truth to it, or he was just lying to himself. A habit he had never really gotten over.

Gladly. Shall we? He stepped into movement, he would have to go gently at first, he had probably sat too long, socializing, but he hadn't minded. This Miss. Arlette could seek him out anytime she wished.

Yes