Blackfoot Forest bird song
Loner
243 Posts
Ooc — bee
All Welcome 
Atka's pale physique stuck out sorely as she prowled through the forest, her careless stroll disturbing the rather loud foliage under her paws. Her ears tilted to every sound, to the branches creaking, or bird song as her head hung low, hoping to identify the scents native to this area, an earthy aroma lingering in the air. The uneasiness she felt about packs inhabiting this territory began to ebb away as she'd been left unbothered for some time.

Once she'd picked up on the scent of what seemed to be a rodent of some sort, she slowed her pace, creeping across the forest floor that was littered with sunlight, filtered by the canopy. She gingerly placed each paw as she trailed the unknowing creature, her stomach grumbling.
[Image: dcm9zur-d3aafd96-e9dd-475b-8fff-3c9c9da5...N13Rk97sII]
Moontide
Beta*
721 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
Heph was wandering, slowly making her way around, caring more about exploring her surroundings than really choosing a direction though the fact that she kept moving indicated that she had at all times some sort of direction she was moving in. She did not try to move overly silently, but let herself choose the paths that most appealed to her, neither too easy nor too dangerous to make a smooth but exciting way. Like water over rocks. Her steps stopped momentarily when she thought she caught the scent of someone else moving around these woods, too fresh to have been there awhile ago, present. As she swiveled her ears and kept moving, though slower to accommodate her scan, she heard the sound of someone moving in the forest similar to her, carefree. She picked out the white of the coat on the stranger just as the sound disappeared.

Stopping Heph took a second to observe. She thought she smelled, amongst the layered signs of life in the forest, the scent of a rodent and as she took in the posture of the other wolf she let herself go still and silent into wanting to disrupt the hunt. The thought o making it a race crossed her mind, but she did not wish to spoil the snack for the both of them as that would require her to move with more speed than stealth and she thought that this wolf had a better chance of finding herself a bit to eat than Heph, she planned to make herself known once this stranger either succeeded or failed her task. 

let me know if you mind me plopping her in!
Loner
243 Posts
Ooc — bee
don't mind at all! <3

Atka's honey colored gaze remained straight ahead, not yet picking up on the lingering stranger. Before she could even lay her eyes on the rodent, the brush stirred, the squirrel retreating swiftly into a tree. She raised her head clicking her tongue. She decided she wasn't going to have much luck hunting in these woods, straight forward chases were more her thing. Dropping her glare at the tree tops, her eyes widened and she perked up as she recognized the scent of a stranger. Atka's ears pivoted to the wolf's direction before she finally turned to face the distanced figure. She stared at the stranger for a moment before opening her mouth.

❝Umm,❞ Atka stopped, trying to think of a proper response, preparing herself to spill out apologies if she'd strayed onto this strangers territory. ❝Hello there.❞

The white wolf cocked her head sideways as she waited for a response, giving a slight wag of her tail.
Moontide
Beta*
721 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
Heph heard more than saw the squirrel scurry away and only took a moment to feel her frustrating in sympathy before she could tell from the shift in the other wolf's attention that she had spotted Heph herself. For a moment she froze, unsure of what this stranger's gaze would bring, if she would attack, if she would flee, and perhaps a little bit worried about what she would see across the forest floor. She let the stranger's eyes stay on her, not meeting or challenging them though not casting her own eyes down, keeping her own posture easy and loose. Heph had no interest in trying to assert any sort of dominance or establish any submission unless this wolf proved particularly belligerent.

She noted the wag of the white tail with a certain amount of glee, and the feminine voice sounded more open and lent towards conversation than any sort of threat. Light danced off her eyes and into her mouth as it curved into a smile around her speech, just a touch too light to be anything sultry but a slowness that hinted at suggestion. "Hello fair lady." The wolf in front of her was exceedingly fair, Heph had splotches of white but this wolf looked closer to snowfall. Her voice evened out a bit, inviting and warm though still bubbling up into a question. "Or would you prefer something else?" She added onto the tail of the question her own name, offering it easily not wishing to come across as secretive or stingy with her own address. "I usually go by Heph." Her own tail began to lightly wag, but Heph made no move to close the distance not wishing to threaten with approach or get too close until she was more sure that this stranger would not mind, energy and excitement building in her at the short exchange of words with another creature.
Loner
243 Posts
Ooc — bee
Atka blankly stared in response before exhaling with a soft laugh, her tense posture finally relaxing once she picked up on the wolf's pleasant tone and wave of her tail.

❝Heph,❞ She said, trying out the name with a smirk, her gaze softly settling on the wolf. ❝I like fair lady, but sadly I go by Atka.❞

Atka's gaze didn't falter as she observed Heph, her medium build and dark coat. She felt comfortable in her presence, unlike what she was expecting in her encounters with strangers. Taking a few reluctant steps forward she committed to closing the distance between them, still leaving a comfortable space. She silently prayed she wouldn't alarm the wolf, though she knew she posed little threat.

❝I'm embarrassed you saw that...❞ She said with a brow quirked.

❝Wouldn't have been much of a meal anyways, running down a hare is more my style.❞ Atka giggled before continuing, ❝You know where an easier meal would be around here?❞
Moontide
Beta*
721 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
Heph nodded her head, and murmed beneath her breath, more to confirm to herself "Atka." It was a pretty name, started and ended with a similar soft sound giving it a kind of open quality to the speaking of it.

She felt Atka's gaze on her and took the time to let her own brown eyes flit over the other wolf. The other canine approached slowly no attack evident in her movements and Heph matched her speed making her own movements obvious enough as she worked to indicate that she was simply moving closer. Her nose stretched forward a few extra inches to catch the scent of the other wolf and she let her own posture stay loose and open once she had inhaled in case the other wolf wished to assess what she may. "No need, you were quite graceful, I don't think I know any wolves capable of scaling trees." Heph spoke with a smile, a light teasing quality there but no malice to indicate a lie, it was true Atka had been quite graceful. The black and grey wolf smelled of where she had been traveling, a more open plains, these forests, wading into the water and perhaps the mud on the banks.

Glad that they were both at ease enough to laugh Heph leaned into a joke, she couldn't help the slight tilt of her head as her voice dragged across the words, flirtatious and bubbly "Well I wouldn't consider myself easy...." But she was enjoying the other's company and so her voice took on a genuine even-ness to it as she answered the question in a more serious vein "I'm afraid I'm wandering through these parts and don't know where the best hunting is, but I would be happy to team up if you're interested in finding other prey?" There were many reasons a wolf might not be part of a pack, and some wolves (even if they were in a pack) worked better or preferred to work alone but Heph had learned both and found that she did not mind the give and take of the hunt shared with another if the fellow wolf was amenable.
Loner
243 Posts
Ooc — bee
❝I'd like that.❞ Atka said quickly, silently wondering why she was already so fond of this wolf, their words were smooth and tranquil which gave Atka a warm feeling.

❝You're right though, climbing trees is not something I can manage...❞ She said, letting out an exhale, not far off a laugh.

Atka trailed off, her honeyed gaze studying Heph again, blinking she cut herself off with a quiet cough. Taking a few steps away she turned back to face the wolf, her tail lowly wagging.

❝Sitting here and talking to with you sounds lovely, Heph,❞ she paused almost emphasizing a flirtatious attitude, which was rare for Atka, ❝but I'm pretty hungry.❞

She finished her sentence with another head tilt. Waiting for Heph to follow her beckon forward, she turned tilting her nose upward, nostrils twitching at the variety of aromas ingrained into the forest. Perhaps they could catch something larger, maybe even settle down for a rabbit. Atka, in silence, hoped this wolf would stick around after they landed a meal, she liked this new addition.
Moontide
Beta*
721 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
Heph smiled back, a little bit unsure about how Atka had taken her proposal when she moved away but the friendly wag of the lighter wolf's tail and turning back to face her made Heph think that she was not eager to part ways. A grin flitted across her features at the light almost flirtatious tone that Atka used, it was always more fun a conversation of push and pull when the other party was participating. While Heph enjoyed conversation which danced between two wolves it was downright awkward and silly to try and pull someone along who was not enjoying an exchange.

Wagging her own tail and moving in after Atka she tipped her head blinking slowly. If Atka wished she would lead the hunt, had been taught, in theory, how to do it but she had not been one of the best hunters in her pack and had more practice following and playing a supporting role. "Lead the way, I can admire you just as well on the move." She gave a slight wink but shook out her coat and lead forward and back to give her muscles a stretch. If they ended up chasing down hares then she would need it and if they chanced upon something larger though it would still need to be small enough for the pair of them to take down then she could not afford to tense up at a critical moment.

She scented the air and thought she smelled some cold trails, maybe a few hours old. This forest was bustling with life but nothing extremely fresh immediately stuck out with her. Looking around she said "I think I smell a few things, but nothing very fresh..." She trailed off happy to be proven wrong. She hoped that they would be able to share a meal and perhaps more conversation after that. While she knew that most loners were transient and moved around she found the conversation flowed easily between the pair of them in a familiar and friendly way even though she had never met this wolf before. While experience told Heph that a pair of loners probably would not end up sharing more than a meal a small part of her hoped that Atka wouldn't mind if she lingered.
Loner
243 Posts
Ooc — bee
Lead the way, I can admire you just as well on the move.

Atka seemed to be caught off guard at the comment before giving a small laugh in response, staring at Heph as she continued, her wagging tail not slowing.

I think I smell a few things, but nothing very fresh...

❝I'm picking up on a rabbit lingering in the area?❞ She said, nose in the air as well.

Atka took a few steps, trying to pinpoint any sort of direction, it wasn't far off. Luckily, the pair was downwind.

❝Should be sufficient for now, no?❞ Atka chirped, pivoting back to the scent wafting their direction.

She slowed her steps already, knowing that the ears of a hare were almost all knowing and the birds warnings would be rang through the air as well, and continued on. Atka wasn't necessarily stalking the creature yet, just aware of what her paws were stepping on, careful to make less noise. As the pretty wolf followed, she turned her head again to look at her, something akin to smirk gracing her expression as she turned back and they continued.
Moontide
Beta*
721 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
Heph wagged her tail as Atka laughed, she enjoyed the sound. While laughing was fun even if she had to do it alone it was more enjoyable when there was someone to share in the fun. She watched as the other wolf raised her own nose the air and was able to pick up a rabbit, lifting again and searching for that scent in particular Heph nodded her head "I can tell now." And as luck would have it they were downwind.

Grinning Heph replied, a little bit less loud than before but still confident and pleased now that her mind was shifting to being on the hunt. "More than." After that she kept her gaze on Atka. She had not been lying when she said she could admire the graceful quiet in how the other wolf moved, but she also made sure to take care with her own steps as Atka did and mirror her body language so that neither of them would give themselves away too soon.

While the lagamorph was not yet close enough to warrant a stalk she knew that too much disturbance or the sound of two larger creatures moving towards it would probably set it off. Besides she wanted to make a good impression on the other hunter who had picked out their quarry. She gave a smile of her own, but let a few teeth show, not in aggression, her body was still loose and her tail behind her not up high, but in reply to the smirk of the wolf on the hunt. Her blood thrummed. Both of them were predators and though they could converse lightheartedly with each other she knew that, at least for her, and she suspected perhaps for Atka as well, that did not meant that there was no thirst for blood or meat in her bones.
Loner
243 Posts
Ooc — bee
heph can finish off the catch if you'd like! btw i'm loving this so far they're so cute ^^

As the pair had traversed for quite some time Atka paused, inhaling a sharp breath, leaving a front paw hung above the ground. Her ear flicked as she lowered her body, only assuming Heph was doing the same. Atka's usual gentle gaze had converted to something much more intense as the two crept across the forest floor, eyes fixed on the unknowing hare somewhere about ten meters away. A simple error transpired, a twig snapping under Atka's paw, ruining their discretion, she cursed under her breath. Muscles tensed, preparing to take off as the hare raised its head from it's peaceful grazing.

It's eyes identified the two wolves, only a split second passed until the creature hightailed its way out, quickly followed by the pair of predators. Atka breathlessly laughed, bounding after the rabbit. She extended her body to its limit each stride, her lungs burned as the rabbit twisted and turned through the forest, each time interrupting her jaws destined clamp around it's frame.
Moontide
Beta*
721 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
Heph watched Atka lower her body and become, if possible, quieter as the pair continued to gain ground on the hare. She matched her own posture to suit, following intently with her tail careful not to displace any of the surrounding foliage or ground too quickly. Her paws mapped a quiet trail of her movements. She heard the sound of a twig snapping and then fixed her own gaze on the hare. She saw the movement of the hare's ears as it began to turn its head, and if she could see it no doubt the other animal would be able to see them the longer it looked.

She did not wait for that to happen, pushing her weight into her hindquarters and gathering up the muscles in her forelegs she leapt forward towards the animal, seeing a white blur in the corner of her eye to indicate that Atka had done the same. The snaps of the other wolf resounded in her ears and her maw swung open ready to make their own grasp towards the fleeing animal. She barely saw the details of the smaller creature, tracked its movement, her muscles and throat burned with air and with the hunger she felt only on the hunt.

Surging forward she snapped again, this time hooking her teeth into the back leg of the unfortunate rabbit, dragging the creature towards her she quickly readjusted her grip to crush its throat and head. Despite the frenzy of the hunt and her own enjoyment she had no intention of making the rabbit suffer and as soon as it went limp in her jaws she checked to make sure she truly had killed it before she let it slump to the ground. Her teeth still slightly bloodied and flecks of fur speckling her muzzle she turned a smile to Atka her tail wagging "That was fun." She looked around taking in their surroundings. While the rabbit might have been running to a burrow she was not sure she wanted to try and hunt it down on the off chance that it had kits. After all they had caught their prey.

eee me too :D
Loner
243 Posts
Ooc — bee
Atka simply nodded, tail wagging in response as she took a moment to catch her breath.

❝Sure thing,❞ She said, giving a breathless chuckle.

❝You know, I wouldn't mind if you stuck around for a few more hunts.❞ Maybe even longer, but Atka didn't say that, not wanting to come across as attatched.

She didn't yet meet her eyes, nervousness almost twinging in her belly as she waited for Heph's response. She then turned her attention to settling into the ground, waiting for the wolf to eat her share. Atka gazed at her, seemingly deep in thought, once she caught herself staring she cleared her throat and shook her head.

❝My interactions with others haven't been as...❞ She paused, trying to find the right words. ❝comfortable as our meeting.❞

Atka never meant harm where she wandered, no ill intent residing in her, but she felt threatened in her other encounters. However, this meeting lacked that, she felt relaxed, and safe. Her tail thumped the ground, unable to hide her contentment at the time.
Moontide
Beta*
721 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
Heph fixed the body of the rabbit half beneath her paws and tore half away with her teeth, throwing half to Atka's paws and using her own molars to sheer away the meat that she had selected into bit sized chunks. It felt good to fill her stomach and tasted even better. She was a bit surprised at the invitation, but answered quickly, too excited by the prospect to pass it up. Her smile was wide but genuine as she answered "I'd like that." Her tail swished across the ground in answer to the thumping of the ground. She had no idea where she was going next but she enjoyed this company far more than she had any other that she had come across. While experience taught Heph that wolves changed, that even packs and family who promised they would remain together would eventually disperse leaving her to go in search of nothing on her own, but while she had the chance, while it did not hurt and her heart beat a little faster but in a good way, she found it hard to let go of that.

Her tone turned a bit teasing, light and airy, the fun of the encounter all the more solid and the potential open now that they had spoken their plans. "They must either have bad taste or were flustered by your charm." Heph stretched out beneath the sun-dappled trees, relaxed, sated, but also pleased and a bit excited. This wolf made her feel safe, not because she was not capable herself, but because she seemed friendly and put her at ease in a way that Heph had not felt in awhile. "Did you have anywhere in mind? With such beautiful company I'll hardly care to notice the scenery." Her mind turned over the possibilities. They could head north towards the coast and perhaps be there in time for the colder weather when the ice might make Atka barely visible but for her eyes, they could go west towards the mountains and perhaps try their luck chasing the wily creatures capable of surviving the treacherous rocky landscapes, east where Heph thought she remembered wide open plains where there would hopefully be plenty more rabbits and maybe some other creatures, she was not sure what there was South but with fall coming that might be good as well.

I'd be down for any direction, Heph hasn't closely explored many places in Teekon!
Loner
243 Posts
Ooc — bee
Atka had a light expression on her face, giving the slightest tilts of her head and small smiles as Heph spoke, uttering a thank you as she provided Atka with part of the rabbit. She took bites in between Heph's kind words, it felt nice to have the hunger in her stomach eased, something to finally support her travels

They must either have bad taste or were flustered by your charm.

Her tail thumped the ground again in response, stifling a laugh, Heph was too sweet. She made Atka feel warm, not yet embarrassment but instead a light feeling dancing around her stomach.

Did you have anywhere in mind? With such beautiful company I'll hardly care to notice the scenery.

Atka playfully rolled her eyes before continuing, a small laugh leading her into her sentence, ❝The coast sounds nice, but then again my brief venture to the lands west of here were also beautiful, no lack of prey.❞

❝Honestly wherever you'd like to go, I'm sure we can manage.❞ She said in a soft tone, drawing her tongue out and giving an measly attempt at licking the blood off of her white muzzle.

Atka was simply happy to follow, no high ambitions set for herself, simply following her gut.
Moontide
Beta*
721 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
It was slightly strange to be making decisions again, purposefully but honestly Heph wandered with less reason than the wind, but was not opposed to giving herself some sort of direction just so that she did not end up going in circles. As she stayed in one place longer and longer she found herself wondering what more there was, unexplored nooks and crannies or expanses outwards. Smiling she took the West and North both into account. There was no need to rush and even if they took a more winding path and ended up in the Southeast she would be content. But at that moment instinct informed her and she spoke, the words rushing out in a large breath, careless yet grounded and honest, no deception or ulterior motive in the breath of them. "Let's split the difference and go northwest." Her eyes cast in that direction for a moment before alighting once more on Atka with a lightness in them.

Heph's gaze squinted slightly as Atka swiped at her muzzle. "At least until you tire of me." She teased, rolling over so that she could scoot closer to the other wolf, using her own tongue she attempted to clean off the blood. After her lean forward she let her posture relax back leaving a bit more space between them and her maw unintentionally curled wide into a yawn.

I'm good with continuing the thread or wrapping it up in the next few posts, but I might start making a few open and private threads to the northwest and tagging Atka if you're good with that or want to do the same?
Loner
243 Posts
Ooc — bee
sure! we can wrap it up whenever, and that sounds good to me! tag me in threads you'd like me to hop into, down for all, i'll probably tag you in some too

At least until you tire of me.

Atka exhaled a sigh, relaxed as Heph lay next to her. Her eyes closed at what felt like affection from the other wolf, even if it was the mundane task of cleaning her muzzle, smiling as she pulled back.

❝I'm not sure I can see that happening any time soon,❞ Atka said, amused with her response.

She shifted her hind legs out from her under to halfway lay on her side. She hadn't exactly pictured forming some sort of attachment so early but she enjoyed the company and light hearted jokes. Sighing again, she placed her head on her paws, fur still brushing against Heph's.

❝Mmph,❞ Atka grumbled in delight, the satisfying feeling of a full stomach almost lulling her to sleep. ❝Are you tired at all? I say some rest before heading out might be nice, but I can get on some extra steps if you antsy.❞

Atka didn't even lift her head, eyes closed as she spoke.
Moontide
Beta*
721 Posts
Ooc — Lepos
Heph was glad to hear Atka's words, they were soft yet light and comforting, she hoped, for the honesty in them as much as the truth and her lips curled up into a smile. She doubted that she could have anticipated such a meeting but she was glad for it more than she could have imagined either. The sigh of the other wolf she heard and felt as Atka laid down close enough for their fur to touch. It had been awhile since Heph had simply slept next to another wolf and she found it comforting, perhaps it was just Atka. While she would have hefted herself up to her paws if Atka had seemed intent on going somewhere that moment the soothing tones of Atka's voice alongside her full belly and the not too warm, despite the summer heat, feeling of the pair of them made her want nothing more than to take a nap.

Her voice was already half-sleepy and more sluggish than light, but still that huff of humor behind the intonation when she responded. "Mmmm laying next to you it's like I'm already dreaming." She let her eyes close, perhaps this was all a dream, Atka herself just a figment of her imagination that would be gone by the time she woke. Heph hoped not, ears still pointed vaguely towards the direction of the other wolf to catch any remarks as she began to drift out of consciousness.

awesome! I'm taking a trip and won't be back until Monday so I might be slower to reply but I am bringing my computer
Loner
243 Posts
Ooc — bee
awesome! have fun!

Atka lazily laughed in response, no clear words, simply adjusting further against the wolf, lulled to sleep at her breathing. It had been a long time since she'd felt this comfort. Where their ventures would lead them would wait until tomorrow as they simply enjoyed each other's company.