Ocean's Breath Plateau Why can't I cross this river?
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
All Welcome 
The red man moved with a weakness within his gait, but he moved, and he wouldn't stop until every last bit of him gave out.

There was blood caked to his hip and a deep gash there, left untended (unless mud counts). A raw swath of pink and mealy skin showing through the umber-red of his fur there.

A scowl set upon Reyes' face, one eye squinting against the beam of sunlight stabbing at his vision. He sought cover but there wasn't much to be found upon the plateau.

His heart was set upon home. His mind a jumble, though.

With a weighted groan he settled down in a shady spot afforded by a tree that looked half as tired and worn as he felt, casting only a thin bit of shelter across the edge of the plateau's stones, but it would have to do. He eased himself awkwardly to sitting and tried to inspect his wounds.
Riverclan
Star*
681 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
IT was with purpose the tawny and black thing walked. She had scented blood upon the wind, and despite that she was nothing like her auntie, in mannerisms, she was a healer at heart. At least sort of. She had a penchant for plants, both poisonous and non, and she figured she could be useful to her pack and other wolves, if she also healed.

So it was with that thought in mind, that inside her tiny set jaw she carried cobwebs, aloe, and bergamot. Three of her auntie's favorite things to heal with. Truthfully she preferred gold seal for wounds, but it was sparse around her. She had found some in the gardens left, but hadn't moved it yet.

Finally she came upon the beast with bloody body and strange fur. He was red as anything, it surprised her. 

She stopped some ways away from him and held herself tightly. Head lifted high, but body neutral. Tail against her rear. She settled her burden down.

Hello. Would you like some help?
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
The worst of his wounds, his hip and his rear leg, would need immediate tending but it was the kind of medicine Reyes was not skilled with. He could patch himself up with the bare minimum if need be, but nothing major. Infection had started to settle there within his hip and he felt the burn of his skin throbbing.

The stranger appeared as if from the mist itself, congealed, staring. At first Reyes thought he was imagining them — or that they'd come to finish the job by order of the mangy pirates he'd narrowly escaped — so he was at once on-edge and bristling.

What kind'a help? But even as he asked, he smelled the bundle the stranger carried and tasted the obvious medicinal quality it exuded. And what'll it cost me?
Riverclan
Star*
681 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
Ash Paw studied him with calm facade. The wound to his hip and rear leg were deep, and she could smell the infection even see the puss. She would need to scrape it and clean it. She wondered briefly if there was any fresh water about. She would need both sea and fresh. She could lick the infection, but she would need to then purge her mouth. She would see what she could do after she rebroke the skin. 

I can heal you, but it's gonna hurt. She spoke softly and then she met his gaze. I don't ask for price. All I ask is you pass the kindness on, someday.

She would not ask for price for this. She didn't even know what she could ask for. Were it something no so terrible, she could have asked for meat or herbs in exchange, but that it had infection worried her. Because even if she did her very best, it could still turn on a dime, and kill him, quick as you please. For that reason it wasn't a perfect healing.
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
No cost to himself? That was a suspicious deal, of that he was certain. Reyes was in need of help though and could not say no to such an offer; even if he was not the kind to spare kindness to strangers, he could at least feign agreement until he got what he needed from the medic.

Alright, he agreed. He stepped closer and showed off his face to her first: there were a myriad of cuts and tears to the flesh of his muzzle and across his head, as might be apparent after a large-scale scuffle between wolves. One of his eyes had swollen to the point of being uselessly shut.

Got anythin' fer this?
Riverclan
Star*
681 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
Ash Paw stared him down, as he moved closer. It was unorthodox she supposed, but she wasn't certain she could heal the infection that had already set int.

Ash Paw nodded. We gotta get you to a water source, preferably fresh, and clean it, then Aloe to soothe and it should be fine. Your hip however.

She pursed her lips. That is an entire other issue, and I can't promise I can completely heal it. Or get the infection completely gone, hence why I ask for nothing. It would be unfair to do so if the healing didn't work.

Ash Paw studied him again. Can you walk? Or do you need my assistance?
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
Aye, got this far dinnae? He wasn't keen on being touched, and made it clear by the bristle of his furs and the way he pulled back from her before continuing on, striding to where she indicated. There was a clear limp to his hind leg and a swagger as he overcompensated with the other limbs. When Reyes stopped, he slouched and sprawled down against the earth, his breath heavy.

How d'you want me, doc?
Riverclan
Star*
681 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
Ash Paw studied him and spoke her tone leaving no breach for argument. This was a straightforward beast.

You realize I'll need to touch you to heal you correct? And furthermore if you take such large strides you'll keep ripping apart the wound.

She eyed him and nodded. Just fine. Now this. 

She eyed him and sighed, her mouth twisted in distaste at the next words that left her mouth.

I need to clean your wound it's gonna frigging hurt. You ready?
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
He scoffed at her but said nothing at first, listening to the diatribe of explanation and warning from the healer, and then gave a huff.

Yeah yeah, get on with it, lady. He was an ornery old man in this instance, and fortunately she was willing to put up with it - until she isn't, fool.

Reyes grit his teeth and after a second said, Look, sorry, awright? I jus' wanna git home. Lets do this.
Riverclan
Star*
681 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
Ash paw stared at him, at his scoff. I don't have to help you. Honestly.

She moved closer to start cleaning at his face first, before he could move away. She was speaking between the brush of tongue and paw. You are being given a kindness. Did no one teach you manners or gratitude.

She pressed against the wound, until the scabs were gone and the blood and gore was gone. Then she held out the plants. 

This will only need the Aloe and cobwebs, it is not as severe as it seems. Face wounds always look worse than they are.

She quickly squeezed some of the aloe out of her plant. Slathering it upon his face. The smell pleasant to her and it should have given him instantaneous relief. Followed by a thin layer of cobwebs, not even seen if not close enough. Then she backed up to give him space, and to settle before she tarted on the leg. That one would prove difficult.

Take a moment to collect yourself. Since you don't like being touched. Tell me when you're ready for your leg and hip.
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
I'm ready! He proclaimed, whether it was true or not. Reyes was impatient. He wasn't the best at sitting still and by now she'd noticed his reticent behavior around being handled, so she would have to work quickly, efficiently - or not at all, if his attitude became too much.

I'm doin' my best here. He went on to explain. It was fortunate the wound was so far from his own teeth, and the medic had him laying sprawled in such a way that he wouldn't be able to reach her even if the impulse came to him. Also the obvious - she was a woman, and thus much less likely to be the recipient of any snapping teeth.
Riverclan
Star*
681 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
Ash stared at him, and looked around. She grasped a stick and tossed it near his head, but didn't hit him with it. Chew on that if the pain gets to be too much. I have to get the puss all out.

She wasn't entirely thrilled to be licking at a festering wound and she would need to gargle with salt water and watch her own body for signs of infection, but there really was no other way. So with gentleness belying the harshness of her words, she set about cleaning at the green, and yellow fester that had begun leaking from the wound. Every so often running a tongue along her own fur to get the taste and the bile out. She would be a mess when it was all said and done, but he'd be better for it .

Once the festering would was cleaned of the yuck. She stopped for a moment ot gauge his reaction and then with quick paws, and chewed poultice, she pressed Bergamot into the wound.

This is going to sting like a mother. She warned him.
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
She threw a stick at him. He bregrudgingly took it between his teeth and held it there, feeling absolutely stupid about it, until she started to get to work. As soon as she cut in to the inflammed tissue his grip tightened and he was grimacing over the stick, teeth digging in.

Out came the bad stuff, on went the good stuff. She gave another warning before things got worse, and he hummed a sound against the stick (something like "get on with it" but he couldn't exactly enunciate), and braced himself for more.
Riverclan
Star*
681 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
They were in the home stretch now. She gently placed the cobwebs and the aloe over top to cool what was stinging and she stepped back. She would have preferred to put seaweed on it to bind it, but she just had to give him warnings and hope that he followed her directions.

She blinked blue eyes at him and spoke softly. I cleaned out the infection, put Bergamot inside to help with infection. Covered that with cobwebs and then put aloe on that to ease the sting. It will last for a few days. As long as the infection doesn't return, you should be fine to put only the aloe on it.

She placed the items in front of him. Pointing out each one. Only use the Bergamot if the infection returns. The cobwebs and aloe after the poultice comes off. You can bathe it gently with water. I don't imagine you will be staying around for me to continue to tend to you?
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
He listened to what the medic said through a haze of pain, which made it hard to focus. Reyes was too impatient to make them repeat themselves; he'd rather not go through all of this over again, and merely nodded until his faculties returned to him.

Bergamot, got it. He grumbled, and tried to stand. It wasn't a good idea, as he wavered and sank down again. The woman said something about staying around and Reyes began to bristle to the very idea.

I've gotta get home, woman. I told ya. His animosity wasn't for her, but his voice was steeped with it. Thanks fer the help. If I come back this way sometime, I owe ya. He didn't yet rise to leave, though.

In a few more minutes, maybe. He needed to catch his breath.
Riverclan
Star*
681 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
Ash Paw bristled and huffed. You're being stupid! Will you stop MOVING! If you keep this up it will kill you, do you understand what I'm saying?

She drew herself up, haughty, irritated. She had spent precious time on him, had spent her precious herbs on him and he couldn't even bother to fully listen. Granted yes perhaps she should have waited for the pain to calm before she continued. But that was neither here nor there.

So she took a deep breath and another. And bent her head down a little to meet his gaze and make sure he was listening this time.

No I said Bergamot only if the infection returns. 

She placed a paw on the Bergamot. This is Bergamot, only use for infection.

She pushed forward the aloe. This is aloe it goes on after the poultice on you falls off.

She then held out a paw of cobwebs. Cobwebs I'm sure you know. You can find them anywhere. They should go on your wound if it is still bleeding or to keep the aloe in place. But it is not as dire as the aloe.

Got it or do i need to go through it again. And will stop moving your ass. You're gonna rip it open. You realize you will need to sleep at least for a day here right? Even If I'm not here, you need to or you'll reopen. You're lucky you're not in shock or sepsis.
Ghost
backwater peon
627 Posts
Ooc — Talamasca
She wasn't having any of his back-talk. After going through it all a second time, Reyes caught more of what was needed and he finally relented, Fine, yes, okay. I'll stay here and rest.

He knew he needed it.

Thank you for your work, lady. If ya want me to sleep now, best be off. The various herbal names swirled in his mind together. Reyes watched her, waiting for her to leave so that he could do what the medic prescribed and get some sleep.

Lucky she'd called him! What kind of luck drew him away from home and forced him in to such a state, then? Only the worst kind, he mused to himself.
Riverclan
Star*
681 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Medic
She really wasn't  her auntie Thistle had taught her how to take care of others with a backbone of steel and she used it. More so than Thistle had. She sniffed and shook her head.

My name is Ash Paw. She grumbled, but nodded. 

She looked him over once more. If you need more herbs or healing. I will be near Ravensblood forest or Stavanger Bay. Best of luck to you and I hope you heal well.

Then with a huff and a dip of her muzzle she turned and loped away, leaving her extra herbs with him. Hopefully he would listen and sleep. Otherwise, she would probably find his body with crows digging at it.