Northstar Vale Right Beside You
Raventhorpe
Læknir
540 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Very real concern swelled in her breast. His eye began to swell before her very eyes—his face must have felt like fire. A crooning rumble escaped her as the petite woman began to deftly study him, a more assertive air to her now as she nosed at him to lower his face for her to inspect it better.

She had no idea who Fennec or Aquene were nor did she bother questioning it. A withering look was given to him when he apologized for potentially hurting her—imagine! Him apologizing to her when an entire part of his face looked like someone had played darts on it. “Hush,” she admonished, lifting a paw to ever so gently guide his face to the side, touching him only where there were no quills. “Do you want pain medication before I start?”

He looked so mournful in that moment that she had a very tough time to not point out the overreaction. They both should had simply taken a walk, or gathered the rabbits and worked on a cache elsewhere.
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
-Leave them at the bottom of the grave they dug for you. -
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Ear ticked forward at the croon from her lips. Then back down. She was trying to study him. Her touch spurned him to move his body to her whims. Following where she wanted him to move. Despite their size it was clear she was in charge at the moment.

Reyson gave a pained chuckle at her withering look. He immediately quieted as she told him to hush, and waited patiently. He tilted his head.

No just do it and give it to me after, and nothing that will make my reaction speed flag, please.

He hated poppy seeds and the like. Preferred pain medicine that would only heal the pain, not make him dumb.

They should have left the porcupine alone, but well simply put they'd chalk this one up to lesson learned. Though what lesson he wasn't entirely certain yet, unless it was to move away from danger, not stay near and study it.
I will be building Reyson's personality largely in character. So his general personality and mannerisms may change as I learn more about him. I am fine with some plots with him as long as all parties are comfortable and know what is to be expected. 
Raventhorpe
Læknir
540 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
“Hold still,” she whispered gently, and thus began her work. Meadow had treated enough quill wounds to know they could fester easily—and she worried any might break if great care was not given in their extraction. Nervousness fluttered her heart, but she tried to work steadily, maintaining a firm grip and feeling even herself flinch at times when she knew it would be excruciating.

The blood trickled freely down his face more and more as she removed them. Finally, with one more gentle tug, she freed the last of them, after what felt like forever. It was hard to keep the concern from her eyes as she studied him, and standing up straighter, she gave a gentle roll of her shoulder, an idle stretch and then a nod toward the brush. “Come, we need to clean it,” she offered even more quietly—the growing laughter only moments before now quieted by the current scenario.

She didn’t wait for him to answer—her svelte form simply took lead as she began to lope toward a small stream she knew of, stopping only to pluck the softest moss she could find along the way.
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Each pull was excruciating and the pain mounted until finally, he grew numb to it as he disassociated. Something he had learned in his service to king and country from before. His eyes taking on the glassy look that most soldiers had when in pain.

The warmth trickling down his face is what woke him first. Then the salty, bitter tang of blood in his mouth and nose. Eyes watered he slowly shifted and blinked. He looked to the cache, he'd finish that after his face was cleaned and he followed behind her.

Despite his injuries and the hushed quiet that now enveloped them. He had a good time mostly. Had enjoyed their conversations and found her pleasing to keep company with.

They arrived at the water and he gave her a soft smile. Thank you for your help. Miss. Meadow.
I will be building Reyson's personality largely in character. So his general personality and mannerisms may change as I learn more about him. I am fine with some plots with him as long as all parties are comfortable and know what is to be expected. 
Raventhorpe
Læknir
540 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
He seemed impervious to pain—more unfazed by it than even she was as her empathy grew with each stolen glance at his blood-marked features. Guilt riddled her—had she left him to his own devices, he still might have been a mess taking on a porcupine, but likely not nearly as devastating as he was.

When they reached the stream she gave a sharp nod with her muzzle. “Sit,” she partially invited, partially ordered. Loping to the stream edge, she dipped the moss down, clenched gently between her teeth, and allowed it to soak up the water. It was the softest she could find—for with autumn, the foliage and plants were beginning to dry and become more brittle.

Sweeping back to him, she gently began to press the mood to his wounds, the silence of the cooler autumn air beginning to unsettle her in a certain way—winter was coming. And with this incident, she realized just how poorly prepped she was for herbs and medicines.

When the blood seeped through the moss, she would gently place it down, skeptically eyeing his face and wounds. “The bleeding is slowing,” she informed him, concern lacing her voice. “But I worry about infection.” She looked away from him then, glancing around, scouring the area with her gaze. “If I could find some marigold, it might help…”

He wouldn't have even been in this mess had he not crossed her path, likely.
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
It wasn't that Reyson was impervious, it was simply he was trained to handle it. When he got home and laid down finally able to let his mind open. It would hurt like hell. And for days after, though truthfully with them out of his face, it wasn't as stabbing.

He settled to his haunches at her order and tilted a head to watch her. He knew that most plants were beginning to grow their edges of brittle and broken. Much like winter did to everything. Making everything brittle and possibly break, even wolves. He would talk with Lady Aquene about sharing herbs and plants with this pack, as they seemed to have less than they did all starting out. Beginning a pack in Autumn was dangerous, and he was now worried for them.

He gave a soft hiss at first touch, and then he closed his eyes, the feeling though painful also a nice one. The cool water, sliding across the burning of his muzzle.

If you can't it will be okay. We are not far from you, and I can make it home with ease and see Lady Aquene or her son immediately.
Raventhorpe
Læknir
540 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
He was more of a gentleman than any other she had come across—and as he tried to assure her he would be fine, she disliked the feeling of sending him on his way with a broken face immensely.

“Lady Aquene is a healer, then?” It was mild chit chat—best to gather information on their allies while she had the chance. Nimble paws began to roam, her amber eyes cast upon the vale floor, nosing through the brush to see if she could see nay trace of the bright orange or yellow of the marigold plant. Or, even any other form or herb or medicine she could use.

“You speak her name with respect,” she noted, casting him a quick glance for his reaction. “Is she also your leader?” 

But there—past even his own bright sun kissed fur—she saw the hint of something in the brush, and she shot forward, unable to contain the excited squeal from her lips as she investigated further, nudging the marigold with a certain amount of victory. “I knew I saw some before!”

And so Meadow began her work, plucking the delicate flower gingerly, gathering it.
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reyson probably would have laughed had she accused him of being a gentleman. He was polite and mannerly most of the time, short and brusque others. Though he had found wells of patience lately.

Yes she is. So is her son, Siku. Well Siku is aspiring. I believe Lady Aquene is good friends with Lady Tamar.

Reyson watched her with interest as she moved around and still continued to speak to him.

A soft smile graced his lips at her question and words and he shook his head. Of sorts. She just recently took up the mantle of Matrona, but before that I was fond of her. I hold all healers in a higher regard than most any other wolf. They deserve the world. Regardless of their station in any pack. They will have my immediate respect.

A growly chuckle came forth from his maw as she squealed. He eyed her with ice blue eyes and amusement. She was adorable.
Raventhorpe
Læknir
540 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
The discussion of the ‘Matrona’ piqued her interest, and she once more recalled what she had hoped to ask him before the porcupine had stumbled on them and things had gone south. “I meant to ask you, about Tamar’s connection with your pack…”

She considered her words carefully, plucking the flowers delicately before gathering them to her gently. “Is it possible for a friend of Tamar’s to come visit, even for a day or so?” She paused, chewing on her bottom lip momentarily, considering what she would reveal to the tawny guard. “I think it would be nice for Tamar to just… have some time with a friend she holds dear,” she shared, offering nothing more. The mother’s struggles with happiness after birthing pups was not something Meadow had dealt with before—but she so desperately wanted to see the new mother smile more.

Gathering the flowers, she carried them to Reyson, offering a soft hum of mild amusement to his words regarding his respect for healers—it made sense, given his occupation and skills. Healers, she imagined, were extremely important to a militant pack.

She began to chew at the flowers, ignoring the bitter taste and trying to make as much a paste as she could. Once done, she would begin to administer it to his face, feeling almost foolish in doing so with long licks to him—considering only hours before they had been eyeing one another with a certain wariness.

Application done as best she could, she took a step back to admire her handiwork, but not before turning and giving her shoulder a lick, trying to remove some of the bitter taste and petals from her tongue. “Hopefully that helps.” And then, with a tilt of her muzzle and without missing a beat. “It can be our secret, if you want. No one has to know a porcupine bitch slapped you while you were saving a damsel in distress.”

It was only the quirk at the corner of her mouth that would indicate the joke. Too soon, perhaps?
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reyson shifted and shrugged a large shoulder. I am unsure of their connections unfortunately. Though if scuttlebut is anything to go by. Aresenio knows our Imperator Germanicus and Tamar is close with Lady Aquene and her husband Kallik. But I don't ask and no one tells.

Reyson lifted his head and nodded. I will ask Lady Aquene to make the journey. Perhaps she will be able to speak of different things with Lady Tamar, given that she had pups at the beginning of the season anyway. Perhaps they can find their connection again.

The hulking soldier didn't move under ministrations. Keeping himself stiff and formal, as he always did when being healed unless he knew them well enough to allow some of his guard to drop. Though he'd be lying if he didn't admit that the two of them had a different bond now than just neighbors and pack allies.

Reyson stared at her and deadpanned. Then how would I get acknowledgement for my quick thinking and princely nature? I saved a pretty damsel. I deserve accolades and medals, don't you think.

The brief twinkle in his eye the only motion that he was teasing.
Raventhorpe
Læknir
540 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
She felt a bit lighter with the potential visit from a dear friend of Tamar’s. The pale mother quietly struggled—without barely a word—and while Meadow could offer companionship, she doubted it was as likely to bring a smile or a carefree moment as one who the lady had bonded with. Otherwise, the best she could do was attempt to find some herbs to lift the woman’s mood, or energize her… Or, if the regal pair would trust her, a promise to puppy watch in the nearby future while they had a date of sorts.

Her thoughts were drawn with amusement from the hailing hero, and she gave a sage nod. “Oh, yes. A den lined with them,” she agreed, standing up and giving a light stretch. “If I ever learn to dry a pelt I will even send one your way as a token of my gratitude.”

She nodded toward the water—shallow, but clean. “You can refresh yourself if you want,” she offered, realizing only now that he was probably thirsty but felt misplaced. It would seem she had a few things to learn about hosting.
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reyson filed away that he needed to talk to Aquene as he returned to the pack lands. He knew they had the royal wedding coming up that the two of them were bade to go to, but he would tell her inbetween the journey or when they got home.

Reyson chuckled quietly. I would cherish it. Voice swirled quietly then he slowly stood up and stretched at her next words.

His face hurt, but it was easing some. He took large steps towards and dipped his head down and took a long pull from the stream. Then without another word, he moved back again and slid beside her and then past.

Shall we finish what we started? I believe I have lingered long enough for you today. you probably have much to do.
Raventhorpe
Læknir
540 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
He humored her—and then took a stolen moment to look after himself. Her gaze followed him only momentarily as he sampled the stream before pulling back, quietly noting where the marigolds remained. She would come back later, before the frosts fell and harvest what she could.

When he slid past her and mentioned returning to his task, she gave a nod, following after him. He seemed eager to return home—understandably, given the pain he must have been in. Along the way back to the cache, she stopped to pull at some herbal leaves, grabbing them swiftly and then doubled her pace to catch up to him, for his legs were twice as long as hers, it seemed. She nudged them to his feet then, when they returned. “To help with the pain. They would have been more effective if I had the time to steep them, but they should give you a bit of relief now.”

And then, her eyes fell upon the porcupine before quickly glancing away from the chaos of blood and flesh. There would be no purpose in feeling bad for the critter—it had certainly packed a punch. Instead, she moved to the cache, once more beginning to dig. Reyson had likely gotten more than he had bargained for during his visit.
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reyson wondered in the recesses of his mind if she were a healer or simply a dabbler. He lifted his head to meet her gaze.

Are you a healer? Lady Meadow?

Reyson was not in a hurry to leave because of the pain, though that had some give in his opinion. No, he merely felt intrusive being past their border lines as long as he had been. It seemed quite rude to still be here, when it had just been to deliver the rabbits and be gone.

He tilted his head. Do I steep them in water? I will save them for when i get back to the pack lands.

He noted her glance to the porcupine and then followed her to the cache. His paws tearing up more dirt than hers, but he appreciated the help all the same. When they finished and he had deposited and put the dirt back atop. He moved with quick precision to lift a claw under the porcupine, digging into it's fleshy underside. He flipped it up and over. With eyes downcast he spoke softly.

Can you bring the leaves to the border? Then leaving no room for answers, he grasped the porcupine with sharp canine teeth, digging gingerly into the fleshy underside of the foul creature and dutiful began to carry it towards the borders. He would bury it outside of the vicinity. The quills could be used for many things, but the meat was just foul.
Raventhorpe
Læknir
540 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
His question brought a certain amount of consideration, but only momentarily did she pause assisting with the dig, a light frown crossing her features as she thought of how to answer. “I have… Trained much, over the years, and learned quite a bit. I aspire to be a healer, but I do not think I have as much experience yet to call myself as much.”

When they finished, he questioned the herbs, and she nodded. “If you wish to wait until you return, then yes.” No sooner had she mentioned this, he cast a wry glare to the porcupine, and before she could even balk at him touching it once more, the wolf rolled it over, much more carefully than before, carrying it to the borders.

Scooping up the leaves as gently as she could once more, she followed after him, curious as to what he planned to do with the creature, given she had hoped to extract some of the quills for use in her trade.
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reyson watched her expressive face and waited quietly. Reyson nodded his head.

You seem like one to me. You know what you're doing. I will send those that need healing to you if you'd like if our healers are unavailable.

He could do this small favor to her. Help her gain her trade quicker. She deserved the carry the title of healer, her temperament was already as such.

He found a lone bush near the borders, but far enough away and he began to dig after laying the beast to the ground. He spoke between movements.

I'm putting the beast here. It's smell will upset stomachs, but close enough should you need the quills for something there you are. Do you want any before I bury it this time?

He looked to her with questions in his icy gaze and waited.
Raventhorpe
Læknir
540 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
It was a compliment that was given, and it took her by surprise. The shyest of smiles graced her lips briefly, a nod given to his offer—“As long as no one minds, yes, I would like to assist wherever I can.”

And she did. And perhaps here, in Epoch and the mountains, her use would prove to be noticed more.

At his explanation of burying the porcupine, she padded up to the opposite side of the hole he was digging—once more. “Actually, yeah, I plan to take some of those quills.” If she could figure it out, she wanted them for a great many things—but first, she would need to gather them. “If you just leave him there, I can do that and then bury him after. I don’t know how long it will take me.”

She paused, realizing with a light frown that this seemed to be the end of his visit. A day come and gone, and she realized what that dangerous light-hearted blooming in her chest was—comfort. Her guard had come down throughout the hours, and the silver she-wolf realized at once just how easily she came to trust others. To find comfort in them.

As she studied him, she wondered if this chapter in Epoch would also end in heart wrench somehow. It always seemed to.

“Thank you, Reyson. Tamar will love the rabbits…. And I’m sorry about your face.”
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reyson smiled at her. Her smile was shy and he hoped right then and there, that no one ever took that sweetness away from her. Because she was sweet.

Reyson chuckled. Not much can harm my face. Just some more scars to add to the ones already marring it.

He shifted and nodded, glaring down at the porcupine. Whatever comes and goes. Know you have a friend in Mereo. Lady Meadow.

Sharp teeth grasped the herbs she had lain down and he smiled at her and then with a small bow, moved to head back the way to home. He would stop if she wished him too. But for now he was content to head home. He'd seek her out again another time perhaps.
Raventhorpe
Læknir
540 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Thanks for the thread! <3

She held back a snort of amusement at the tagged ‘lady’ in front of her name. Polite as ever. As he left, she struck her gaze back down to the devilish little fiend that had caused such chaos. “Sorry,” she murmured so quietly to it, and begun to work away at plucking away the quills in a way that she cold minimize stabbing herself with them.

Reyson was right—she had much work to do, and with the pack so small in numbers, such little time to do it.