Redsand Canyon Boot Straps
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
-Leave them at the bottom of the grave they dug for you. -
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Beset by herbs and foul smelling things of some sort of plant. A mouth full  of a dead rabbit. Amd upon his back a freshly washed and sun dried goat pelt. He'd been saving for what he didn't know, but he figured @Towhee could use it.

He headed towards the den where Towhee and Maxim resided. Though briefly he faltered. Remebering well his first disastous visit and he had not come since. So he stood a little further away and chuffed. Forgetting that Towhee couldn't hear briefly.

So he pressed nearer the den. He placed a paw upon her doorstep. He lay the rabbit down and spoke. Would you accept brief company or would you rather sleep?

He moved foot to foot. He didn't wish to cause her anymore pain. And she may like a rest.
I will be building Reyson's personality largely in character. So his general personality and mannerisms may change as I learn more about him. I am fine with some plots with him as long as all parties are comfortable and know what is to be expected. 
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Towhee had decided to go for a short walk, just to the miniature caldera and back. She was hoping to bump into @Maxim when she returned to the den. There was something important she wanted to discuss with him.

But she found Reyson there instead, the sight of him prompting her to say, I don’t have any coin for your wares.

Chuckling under her breath, she moved closer, looking at all the items he’d brought. Were these for her? Sheesh, Towhee thought, stepping past him through the doorway and motioning for Reyson to come inside.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
He met her gaze a slight upturn to his lips as he spoke. Mirth in his gaze.

I take trades of pound flesh or fish.

He followed behind her with his wares as put it. And he settled to his haunches. Feeling unease. He jad never been fully inside.
I will be building Reyson's personality largely in character. So his general personality and mannerisms may change as I learn more about him. I am fine with some plots with him as long as all parties are comfortable and know what is to be expected. 
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She turned just in time to catch his joke. She didn’t say anything right away, gesturing at him to make himself comfortable. Towhee did the same, carefully folding her haunches onto the bedding near the far wall.

Are you saying you want to give me a pounding in exchange for all this? she quipped casually once he was more settled. I mean, I would, but bad back… and husband… and all…
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reyson shifted attempting to make himself more comfortable. He downed a muzzle and almosy choked at her next words. Though he gave a soft chuckle.

I also said fish, like food.

He eyed her with a smile. I wouldn't wish to fight maxim for your honor. And it would be a shame to blow out your back further.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
I’m not going to make the obvious joke here, Towhee deadpanned, mirroring his smirk.

Shaking her head at their banter, she pointed at all the things he’d brought with him and asked, For real, what’s all this?

Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
He chuckled and then let the joke drop. Though he had enjoyed their banter himself. And to had done more to ease him than anything else.

Reyson shrugged a shoulder. I didn't know you were able to be up and about yet. So i brought food. The goat skin is for you and your family Maxim has treated me very kindly and i hold you in high regard as well. And i dont sleep in a den it has just been sitting collecting dust.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Oh, well, I appreciate it, Towhee said.

She abruptly remembered that Reyson had helped dispatch the cat. He looked fairly hale, so if he’d sustained injuries, they hadn’t been major. Well, Towhee had taken one for the team. She was just glad nobody else had been hurt.

Speaking of Maxim, do you think you could call for him? I need to speak with him. And it’d be nice for you to be able to say ‘hello’ and show him what you brought us.

Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reysons wounds were healing fairly well. He felt guilty for it, truthfully. But there was nothing to be done now.

Reyson heard and nodded. He leaned upwards and wnet towards thr den mouth and threw a howl out to @Maxim.
483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
he had not been far, overseeing something at the sparring pit.

he thought nothing of the call from reyson. perhaps the man wished to discuss some things further, as maxim had offered early on in their friendship. perhaps this was a call of duty (ha) from the other male.

although as he pinpointed the call it came from...his own home?

and there were things he could only assume to be gifts for towhee.

his look bounced between them with brief confusion and appreciation. figuring he'd be looped in on this little gathering more.

learing ptero from towhee. words that are signed will be portrayed -like this-
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
He ducked his head outside to send up a call for her mate. Towhee took the opportunity to sniff at his offerings. She had never seen anything like the pelt he’d brought. She would have to ask Reyson what kind of animal it had been before he’d turned it into a rug.

A few moments later, both men crowded her doorway. Towhee smiled at her mate, tail waving, and stepped back toward the bed to make room for both Maxim and Reyson to reenter the stone dwelling. She sat a little too fast, wincing as the muscles in her back protested, but soon she was comfortably settled again.

Look at all this shit Reyson brought us! Towhee exclaimed to her mate, winking at their guest before posing the aforementioned question, Reyson, what kind of animal is this? Was this, I guess I should say…

As she waited for an explanation, she glanced at Maxim and signed, -I need to talk to you after he leaves.-

Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Maxim clearly looked confused, but he handled it without any issue. Reyson noticed the silent language between the two and wondered at it. how nice it must be to be able to speak to another and not have any issues, and to be silent.

Reyson heard Towhee's words and chuckled to himself. She was very much a woman's man so to speak. She had been a soldier all her life clearly and very comfortable in her skin. He liked that about her, glad he had met her and her mate.

Goat. It's been rinsed and dried. It will be very warm come winter.
483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
towhee signed, reyson spoke. his cut already clenched at the silent words his mate. and so he did his best to turn his attention upon the other soldier.

you are too kind to give us this, reyson. he answered warmly as he seated himself near towhee. i am sure it will get much use here.

some part of him wondered how long it would take before the children ruined it, or even one of the wedded couples! regardless it would bring comfort to towhee, he hoped.

we will have to give you something in return. right? he offered a warm look to his wife.

Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Huh, Towhee thought, admiring the skin for a moment but quickly looking up again, lest she miss anything being said. She caught Maxim’s comment about giving Reyson something in exchange.

Oh, uh, yeah. Let’s see, we need to offer him something warm and fuzzy, something that took some time to make… Towhee made a show of tapping thoughtfully at her chin before raising a toe. Got it! You can have our firstborn, she said brightly to their guest before catching her mate’s eye and asking, Do you remember if Jack or Leo was born first?

Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Towhee and Maxim both seemed to like it, and that was all that really mattered to the scarred warrior. Though her next words drew him pause, and his wolfish brows beaded in the middle and absolute fear lit up his eyes, though a small smile of amusement played with his features.

Oh that's quite alright. I could never dream of separating two doting parents from their precious child.

He grinned. Besides. Pretty sure both Jack and Leona would beat me up.

He was remembering the disastrous spar when Towhee had sicced not one, but both her children upon him.
483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
ha! it was hard to say how reyson would react but the man took it in stride. his tail waved warmly for it all.

there's always next year's first born... although the trailing in his voice was mindful and careful. maybe they'll be less bitey!

but he was far too worried and intrigued in what towhee had to say. had he been a person he may have slapped his knees and stood in some Midwest manner of wrapping up a social gathering.

we really do appreciate this. thank you, reyson.

Raventhorpe
Vorðr
1,084 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Warrior
Ambassador
Reyson stood and gave a small stretch. He knew when it was time to leave. He dipped his nose to both towhee amd Maxim.

have a good day you two.

Then he left the den and headed towards the borders.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
You’re not wrong, Towhee rejoined with a laugh that made her back twinge.

Reyson pardoned himself a moment later. Towhee raised a paw in farewell, then promptly moved to stand beside the goat skin. She wanted to drag it over their old, worn-out bedding, but she would need her mate’s help if she didn’t want to aggravate her wound.

Sorry for dropping the ‘we need to talk’ line, I know it’s ominous, even in ptero, Towhee said while standing there. I won’t beat around the bush. The Imperator and I talked earlier today. I think I’m at a point where I need to seriously consider retiring into more of advisory or teaching role. And we agreed that Epoch may be better suited to that. But I told him I wouldn’t make any decisions without discussing with you first, of course.

She paused there, one paw mindlessly toying with the edge of their new goat rug.

483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
it was ominous! yet he seemed to have every right to find it ominous too. his teeth clutching at the edge of the goat skin. silently he motioned for them to get that settled first. might as well break it in on their bed with a heavy conversation, right?

some childish part of him wanted to say just challenge for matrona but that was hardly an option. nor was it very kind to aquene who had earned the position just as much.

i want you to be happy and healthy. safe. he finally spoke. and you have enough knowledge to be a boon anywhere. he admitted. although perhaps that spoke to his own stroke of worry about himself. so much time put into soldiering that he faltered elsewhere.

and epoch is where -you- he did his best to stress the word in every way possible to her. — would want to go?

Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Together, they placed the skin where it would serve them best. Towhee immediately climbed onto it and settled, carefully sprawling on her belly. The entire time, she kept her face toward Maxim, catching every word he said and signed.

Well, there’s a few reasons why I think it makes sense. I think it would strengthen the bond between Mereo and Epoch, especially after the ‘psyche!’ thing with Aquene put strain on things. Then there’s the fact that even before all this happened, Towhee continued, gesturing at her own backside, I was already questioning my role here. I considered taking the Matrona rank before Aquene did, though it’s not just that. We’ve talked before how I don’t agree with the stipulations for leadership here, et cetera.

But her rank wasn’t the only one which mattered. Towhee knew Maxim had been working hard to prove himself and carve out a niche in Mereo. She wouldn’t just mindlessly drag him elsewhere if he wanted to stay put and continue that work. Retiring in Mereo was a viable option for her. She could step aside for him, if he would prefer that, and now she waited to see what he would say on the matter.

483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
it was all fair. presented logically and with information the both of them already knew. the stipulations for leadership here were a bit hard — but wasn't that the whole point of mereo? his tongue pressed hard against the back of his teeth.

slowly and mindful of her position, he settled himself down with her.

i'm not opposed. he admitted, voice hushed. not that it would matter too much when she had to only read his lips. are you hoping for something like matrona in epoch? or are you wanting...full retirement?

no leadership, no spotlight.

maybe she wished for something quiet now.

Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Every question he asked was valid, though this one was perhaps one of the most pertinent of all. Although Towhee’s physical capabilities were waning, they both knew she had a lot more to offer. Even Germanicus knew that, though the system here remained rigged against her. As much as she loved Mereo and enjoyed the military lifestyle, there was part of her that was ready to get away from such an intense focus on brawn over anything else.

I wouldn’t demand it or anything, but I like the thought that we could have a fighting chance at being, like, the Betas there, Towhee admitted, nose wrinkling, without having to abandon one another or our kids. She paused. Speaking of them, if we did decide to relocate, I’d obviously invite them to come along but I’d like to give them the agency of choosing. They’re old enough. And the packs are right next door.

Her orange eyes caught his, wondering if Maxim agreed with her on this. Towhee had a lot of experience with raising kids and seeing them leave the nest. This would be the other way around, funnily enough, bu the point was she knew he was a first-time father and it might be harder for him to contemplate parting from their offspring just yet.

483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
there was a moment of bliss. imagining them as a shared, supportive force in epoch. towhee could offer her wealth of knowledge and maxim could offer...himself.

although he quickly replaced the thought with their children. he had selfishly assumed that they would just come along! but they had grown up here. mereo was home to them, all they had ever known. towhee softened the blow by assuring him they were old enough and that they were close.

i will be making a lot of trips if they stay. he informed her with a serious face. maybe more attached to his growing children than he had ever realized until this moment. they had always been there. the thought of them not being?

i think it's a good idea. for you, for us. because he would not part from her. even if epoch was a stone throw away. worse case scenario we go overthrow somewhere else for you to retire. his face skewed with humor. attempting to lighten his own mood some.

Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
I’d say the same, she replied with a smile, but I fully expect them to come to me. Towhee snorted. I imagine there would be a lot of back and forth, which would help keep the alliance strong.

That made her think of something else. Was Epoch just as tied to Akashingo? Towhee didn’t really know, though she thrilled at the idea of being one step further removed from such a place. She wouldn’t say it out loud, though she didn’t like how often envoys came and went from that place, strangers seemingly always lurking in their midst.

Chuckling at his joke about usurpation, Towhee said, I’m deaf as fuck but it kind of sounds like we’re leaning toward doing this…? We should call for the kids and tell them, then I’ll need to speak with the Imperator. Whether or not Jack and Leo go with us, I imagine we might have something of a convoy, so be prepared for that.

She didn’t want to speculate too much but if she had to guess, Towhee supposed @Phox would almost certainly go with them. @Fennec might enjoy the opportunity for a change in scenery, though her garden was here, so maybe she would prefer to stick around. @Killdeer would go wherever his mother went. Towhee figured Tierra would want to stay, though honestly any of them could surprise her.

And @Aquene is probably going to kill me, she quipped dryly.

483 Posts
Ooc —
Tactician
he snorted softly, a small smile on his features. some part of him hated this. how much of towhee (and so in turn himself) had become rooted in mereo. only to find a bit of a dead end. not that the injury was the only thing to blame but it had seemed like some sort of final red flag.

yeah. leaning hard into it. he assured her with a nod too.

i'd like to speak with the imperator too. i don't know if we want to do that separate or not... he would be content to leave that entirely up to her. and maybe you can get the jump on aquene, before she kills you. he returned with a lazy smile.

ready for the kids now? he imagined @Leona may already be close at hand, @Jack Snipe likely off tumbling with other kids.