Wheeling Gull Isle A truce with trust
99 Posts
Ooc — Jess
All Welcome 
The Mother Tree grew tall within the forest, now surrounded by many others who shared her turf and entwined their roots with hers. The blue spruce that had served as somewhat of a rendez-vous point for Undersea had weathered the years swaying with the breeze, digging deeper still with its roots. At its base there were thick bushes that had grown in, which had obscured the deep cavern that had once existed at the tree's base. 

Thresher wanted to have access to the den again- but with the ground so hard, it would be too much effort to pull the bushes out by the roots. Instead, she investigated the area, and chose one point where she thought she could almost see through to the tree. There, she began nipping and chewing through the branches of the bushes, some of which were about an inch thick. The cold helped a little- some of the bushes were brittle and hard, and snapped easily. Others, the thicker ones, took more time to chew through. But she'd work away at it, eager to make just a large enough path for her to access the heart of the great tree again.
141 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Away
Blueberry was moving in her normal wraith-like fashion through the island forest when movement caught her eye. A creamy wolf, not unlike Heda, though they lacked the vibrant crimson stripe along the spine. No, someone new, and she was drawn to them, and stood watching their progress from a distance, head slightly tilted.

What are you doing? she asked after a time—if the other hadn't noticed her already. The tugging and pulling at plants was reminiscent of her mother, and other herbologists she'd known; not surprising if the religious quacks on this island also fancied plants.

It was like she had been tossed into a whirlpool of everything she'd ever tried to escape.

The more fool her, she supposed.
99 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Thresher's mind was full of memories. She rifled through them as she pulled away at the alder branches, and gnawed through thicker ones. She could see the darkness at the base of the tree, and knew she was getting closer to the den, and wondered how much work it would take to dig it out again, if the roots had grown in. Not knowing what she would find, she simply kept to her work, and worked with faithful diligence. 

A voice disrupted her labour, and she pulled back, flicking her tufted ears forward when she saw she was being watched by a young woman, with a pale coat and indigo eyes. She was pretty. Cutting through a thick tangle of bushes and alders likely looked a bit odd, so she offered a somewhat bashful smile. "This is the Mother Tree....A great spruce, that weathers the storms...There used to be a den here, beneath her roots, when I was a child...I wanted to see if it was still there but there is so much new growth in the way," She said, somewhat wistfully. She smiled ruefully. "It may have caved in, also, but...It was such a secure stronghold, if it is still there, it is worth finding." She said. She smiled, and spoke with her earthy, humble tone. "I am Thresher, I am new to...Sweetharbour," She said.
141 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Away
The woman was good enough to answer her, and explain, and Blueberry was all ears up to and including the words "when I was a child."

Unfortunately, she began to short-circuit after that, and only caught 'Thresher' before her mouth opened wide to respond again.

You were born here? she asked, eyes widening. How long ago? And. . .who were your parents?

It took only a few heartbeats for Blueberry to realize she was being completely forward, and kind of crazy, and she laughed, shaking her head. I'm sorry, she burst out. I was born here, too. My name's Blueberry. I was back here looking for my sister.

She shrugged. She's not here. A cocked brow, then: Wonder if you're a sister of mine.
99 Posts
Ooc — Jess
The urgency in the girl's tone caused Thresher to pause, and look over her way again. She could only guess that the girl was searching for herself, and Thresher knew how that felt. She explained, and apologized. Thresher, kindly shook her head to brush off the young woman's bashfulness. It did not offend her to be asked about her family, especially when it meant perhaps filling in a piece of the puzzle that belonged to Blueberry. 

Unfortunately, Thresher knew where she had been over the past few years- and she doubted, very much, that they could be related. "I was born here, when the land was called Undersea," She said. "My mother was Coelacanth, and my father was Stockholm. I had two brothers- Sixgill and Grayling- and a sister, Koi. But my family, we left the island just after my first birthday." She said. "It has been three years since then," She said, with a faint smile. If Blueberry had suspected her as a sister, perhaps it meant that she didn't know how old Thresher was and she took that as a compliment. Blueberry looked young, yet, not past her second year. "I am....Sorry, but I do not believe I am one of those you seek."
141 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Away
Ah. Not a long-lost sister. Obviously her parents had reared other litters, but once Mou had gone missing and Maegi mad, she'd lost the ability (and the will) to know about them. 

My mother, Maegi, lived here a few times, Blueberry remarked. I think it was her favorite place. I liked it a lot. Uh, like it a lot.

Still, Thresher seemed a friendly sort, and she gave the seawolf a smile. What brings you back here? she asked, given that the woman hadn't explained. 

Curious, she began sniffing around the roots of the tree while waiting for a response, enjoying the heady aroma of earth and decay in her nostrils.