Sleepy Fox Hollow it don't feel right to see you, friend
109 Posts
Ooc —
Joining 
@Wylla @Mahler for leadership but AW!

his plan was simple.

he'd find somewhere better than cranky, awful mereo. mereo with the imperator. the imperator who sent his dad away. his dad who still hadn't come home and each day that seemed less and less likely. siku couldn't even say he remembered much about him nowadays.

but he couldn't let that thought slow him.

this place was close. meaning if it was good, he could easily wrangle his brother with him.

his mother would be harder to convince seeing as she was the mother of mereo or something.

yet he had skills that he could offer. he had learned the basics of medic training and he had seen enough dumb lessons of soldiers. at the very least, he could patrol. places liked wolves who did that, right? so perhaps it was with too much ease that he stood near the borders of a homey looking valley. kinder than the red sandy walls of mereo. this place already seemed better.

now he just tipped his head back, asking for leaders.
139 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The fear that Isa might beat him to the borders was what urged Emmerich into a sprint. The call had sounded at the edge of their hollow homeland. It was a voice that was unfamiliar to the aspiring guardian. The mystery of it was alluring. If he was going to seal his first trade, the white-hooded boy would need to make sure that he responded to these calls. It was his duty, first and foremost. It would also give him a leg up above his sister.

Drawing toward the unfamiliar figure at the edge of their home, Emmerich lifted his head and yipped out a soft greeting. The white of his head did not stand above the other boy’s. Siku was fairly tall, he noted with an impressed glance of the other wolf’s figure. It would be nice to know what brought the dappled young wolf to Paleo.

Hallo, Emmerich greeted with a smile, tail flicking from side to side. This is Paleo. You called, so… my papa or mama should come, too. I can help while we wait. The young guardian squinted curiously at their guest.
109 Posts
Ooc —
he did not know why he felt so surprised to see another boy. mereo had plenty of boys being soldiers. patrolling and sparring.

perhaps that was the surprise. that this place might be just like mereo.

so his heart settled in his throat with heavy thuds. even as the boy spoke very unlike those of mereo. a voice unlike any he had heard before.

oh. thank you. he offered, awkward but good natured. um, i'm siku. i...was actually hoping to maybe stay. if paleo is a good place.
139 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Siku introduced himself with a soft voice. The Paleo native nodded his head with a smirk. It was a name that he had never heard before. He liked the sound of it. He liked the simplicity in the way it was spoken. It did not have strong sounds like many of the words his father used. Beyond this, the name suited the young wolf. He looked like someone who might be called Siku.

Oh, I believe you could stay.

There was some surprise in his voice. Emmerich didn’t want the other boy to feel unwelcome. He liked the idea of having someone around his age in their pack. The only friends that the young wolf could make were his sister or his frequently absent brother. He hoped Anselm was safe, as he thought of him.

I think it is a good place. We are small but we are focused on skills like hunting and gathering. Maybe Siku would like those things and would find their home more compelling.

My name’s Emmerich. Is your family going to come with you?
109 Posts
Ooc —
the boy thought he could stay.

siku had always been more inclined to trust those his own age rather than the adults. the imperator had only solidified that after the horrible day with his brother and jack.

hunting and gathering. he rather liked the sounds of that. more so than the days of soldier work. of having to hide himself in waiting for punishment if he did not wish to train.

only emmerich asked the next big question. one that siku didn't have an answer to, but that he desperately wish he did.

i don't know. i hope my brother will at least, but it may just be me. and the thought hurt. horribly.

his paws shuffled at the earth awkwardly.
139 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Only his brother…

Emmerich worried that something might have happened to Siku’s mom and dad. It could be dangerous in the world. He had heard the importance of caution. The white-hooded boy did not think that it would be good to ask his guest about whether his parents were dead. It did surprise him that Siku would seek to join their pack on his own.

If you decide that you would like to stay, we can send a message to your brother and ask him to come see you. Do you have a home nearby? Should we search the grounds outside the pack for him?

If their parents approached them to say that Anselm was missing and possibly in danger, Emmerich would have searched until his paws were raw and bloody. It felt like Siku might be worried for his brother, too. The Paleo boy wished that he could help.
109 Posts
Ooc —
it was a very tricky situation, he realized, as emmerich suddenly asked a million questions. all very fair. really. siku wasn't upset with the other boy, he just didn't know how to convey all of —

this.

it's kind of a lot? do you know about mereo? it's a place with a bunch of soldiers...
139 Posts
Ooc — Teo
It sounded as though Siku had a lot to say on the issue at hand. Emmerich wondered if he had overstepped, asked too many questions of the interested young man. It would not look good on their pack if he couldn’t be approachable and helpful at the borders. The white-hooded pup told himself that he needed to do better. It was important, meeting wolves at their borders.

It’s alright. Come on, you can sit vith me over here, Emmerich gestured to a spot that would give him a place for sitting, out of the way of any goings on. I do know of Mereo. They are the outpost that is neighbor to our home. Emmerich’s yellow eyes traveled toward the canyon pack. He had been curious about the soldiers there for a while. It would be interesting if Siku came from their ranks and could share information.
109 Posts
Ooc —
word vomit incoming

he followed the boy without second thought. content to go sit and discuss this with somebody who seemed like a good heart. listening ears.

it made him miss his brother all the more.

well a place with a bunch of soldier sucks. just so you know. he rolled a loose pebble under his paw. there's this...imperator guy who leads it. he sent away my dad on some soldier thing, too, i guess. he admitted as his shoulders sagged some. a heavy sense of dread and defeat settled over him.

but the fresh air of paleo gave him a bit of life once more.

i didn't like it there. i don't think my brother likes it either. my mom is pretty important there. which is why i don't know if my whole family would be here too. he was pretty sure that had become staunchly clear with the whole blow-up involving the other boy too. but i don't want to be a soldier and be told to do soldier things all day. i want to do plant things and see stuff that i like, you know?
139 Posts
Ooc — Teo
*catches all the vomit with open arms* >w<

Mereo did not sound like a pleasant place to Emmerich. The white-hooded boy listened as Siku shared some of his experience with someone called Imperator. The name alone was unwelcoming and cold. It felt strange to hear it outside of their simple Paleo ranks. The individual that Siku spoke of had sent away the boy’s father. It left a heavy feeling in Emmerich’s chest, imagining what it would be like if Mahler had been sent away on a commanded mission.

It made sense why Siku would not want to be part of that place. It hurt Emmerich to think that he had once longed to visit the military pack and learn from its strongest warriors. Isa could visit Mereo all she liked. It sounded like a horrible place to go. The Paleo boy wondered if Siku had run away from his home – if he planned to join their hollow pack without his mother or brother knowing about it.

I do not like the sound of the Imperator…

The young boy lifted his head in solidarity. He would stand with Siku, and he would vouch that the boy with mismatched eyes was a perfect fit for Paleo.

You may stay in my home if my parents allow it. I think you would feel better here. We all work hard, but it isn’t because we are ordered. We work hard because we need to take care of each other. Emmerich offered an encouraging smile to the dappled visitor.
109 Posts
Ooc —
he had not realized how good it felt to be heard by someone who was not in mereo.

somebody who was not so deeply wrapped up in it all. siku had been born into the place and even still he resented it! all mereo ever did was seem to take, take, take.

the emotions rolled over him for a moment and he allowed himself to feel grounded in them. the air of paleo ruffled the longer fur on his body. the land felt like it actually grew here. not the stony wasteland of a giant training pit.

i like taking care of each other. i know plants, i know how to heal. kinda. do you think your mama and papa like that?
139 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Yes, Siku, Emmerich nodded eagerly. He knew for a fact that his parents would appreciate the skills of someone who was talented with herbs. The white-hooded child could think of many occasions when Isa had gone off with their father to learn the arts of foliage and healing. It was not a skill that the boy with hawk eyes possessed. He had spent most of his life disinterested in such things, but hearing that Siku liked them was a coercive power.

My papa will think you have good skills.

Emmerich lifted his head and looked into the hollow. He wondered if it would be his mother or father who appeared to address their newest potential member.
2 / 3 THREADS
1,022 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Guardian
Wylla lifted her ears to listen to a howl that was too close to be any sort of coincidence. Shit, she mumbled once she ascertained the approximate location of the caller. All the way across the hollow from where she was. Of course they were.

It took her some time to arrive even at a canter. When she did, she was just as surprised to see a reedy white-furred youth standing there as she was delighted to see Emmerich on border duty. He was truly becoming a guardian and an asset to Paleo and she was so proud of him. She saw so much of Mahler in him, and not only because he already stood taller than her. Wylla nuzzled his shoulder gently on approach, grinning at the possibility of embarrassing him despite the solemn formality of a border call.

The other boy was younger by a month or so, she reckoned, judging by his ungainly proportions and overall mien. Drawing his scent into her nose, Wylla detected several familiar notes. Mereo, if she had to guess. What could possibly have brought a child of Mereo to Paleo's doorstep unattended?

Normally, she would ask the caller this question directly, but she was keen to see how Emmerich handled himself, so she turned her single eye upon her son and asked, who's this?

At least it wasn't another fucking weird coyote.
109 Posts
Ooc —
that must be mama.

he made sure to give her a proper show of respect as she neared them. shrinking into himself a bit as if to hide the way his height grew like a weed these days.

he thought of his own mother in this moment, watching mother and son interact. his own mom could often times be very formal. maybe that was why she liked being the mother of mereo. maybe that was why he worried she wouldn't understand, or even follow.

he remained thoughtful in his silence. not the bit bothered that this mama sought his name from his new friend, emmerich.
139 Posts
Ooc — Teo
It was Wylla who answered the call. She appeared before them looking sharp, interested. Emmerich was not embarrassed by her touch, but happy to see her there. His mother would leave a good impression on Siku, he was certain. She had a commanding presence and a good mind.

Glancing toward his new friend, the yellow of his eyes found Siku in a respectful position. The other boy seemed like he was trying to shrink. Em flicked his tail softly, hoping it might encourage the dappled Mereo boy to come out of his shell. He had been honest with their prospective joiner. There had been no need to give him anything but truth.

Mama, this is Siku. He is from Mereo.

Emmerich looked to his mother curiously.

He wants to live here. He says he is not a soldier and Mereo is a place for only soldiers. It was a paraphrase of what Siku had said, but he felt like it sold the image well. The Paleo boy looked to his friend and motioned with his snout for Siku to step forward and introduce himself.
2 / 3 THREADS
1,022 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Guardian
So sorry for the wait on this!

While Emmerich explained, Wylla examined Siku. Despite how he crouched, she could see the length in his limbs and the gaunt cut of his figure. If he filled out to match his frame, he would easily rival Mahler in size when he was finished growing. He was respectful and deferential, and she had always had a soft spot for children. Most children. Certainly, those who were as polite as this boy.

So he did not want to be a solider. Wylla could understand that. The rigid structure of such a pack could hardly appeal to everyone; she herself would chafe under the strict rule of Mereo. For her son, she had a proud smile when he finished giving his account. He had done so well. Mahler would be so proud of his willingness to help someone in need.

You may stay here for now, she decided, giving her tail a brief wag to try to coax Siku out of his shell a little more as she turned and beckoned for them to follow away from the borders. She had no qualms with him staying permanently, if that was what he wished, but wondered how it might strain relations with Mereo if they felt differently.

Do your mother and father know where you are? seemed as good a place as any to start on that topic. If he turned out to be Germanicus' kid, things might be a lot more complicated.
109 Posts
Ooc —
<33

he decided that mama was nothing like imperator.

she coaxed him out of submission, she asked him questions directly, she talked to him like an adult. not in the bossing, ordering way either. she just asked.

it softened him at once and he so badly wished nanuq was here to meet her too.

no. um, my dad is...gone. on a mission felt silly to say. even sillier seeing as he had seemingly never come home from it. i plan to tell my mom, i swear, but she's...really important there. so i worried she'd freak out if she didn't see that things could be good outside mereo first.

maybe it was a foolish endeavor — or maybe mama would understand like emmerich did. regardless he followed after her with a newfound softness to his body language.
139 Posts
Ooc — Teo
You can both skip me unless Emmy is talked to! ^^ <3

Emmerich knew that his mom would take Siku in. A smile stretched his mouth wide while his tail waved excitedly. She had even managed to bring the boy out of his shyness, a bit. Wylla was Emmerich’s favorite for several reasons, but primarily for her ability to tactfully assess any situation and treat it with care. Admiration bubbled up within him. He hoped that he might grow to be as strong as his mother was.

While Siku answered any of Wylla’s questions, Emmerich bounced happily alongside him. His pale silver snout nudged warmly against the other boy’s shoulder. He wanted nothing more than for the speckle-faced wolf to find a sense of peace. He didn’t have to be a soldier in Paleo. He could be anything he wanted.

Emmerich’s loving gaze found his mom’s features. He wished he could tell her how happy he was, but he opted for a joyous wave of his tail and a wide smile.
2 / 3 THREADS
1,022 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Guardian
Sorry for the wait, guys, I'll leave this either to fade here or you can continue without Wylla. <3

An absent father and a busy mother. Wylla was reminded of her own childhood, although Lusca had always been attentive. There were only the three of them, after all: her, Ingram, and their mother. How might her life have differed if Lusca was an important figure of a large, bustling pack?

That was all it took for her heart to go out to him. It helped that he was respectful and sweet, unlike some of the other unrelated children who had come into Wylla's care over the years.

We don't need to worry about it right now, she assured Siku. Take some time to rest and familiarize yourself with the Hollow. We will figure out how to talk to your mother once you have had a little time. He was old enough that his pack aught not worry if he was gone a day or two.

Why don't you show him to the river? she suggested to Emmerich with a smile before she made to part their company. Perhaps Siku would appreciate the attentive company of an adult, but Wylla suspected her presence would only prove suffocating. Emmerich was much better company for the boy.