Fear is the heart of love
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Private 
<3

The winter had come swiftly and harshly. Rosalyn woke aching, but despite the temptation to remain tucked away, she stepped into the foggy morning. She brushed against @Erzulie and, with a glance, silently led her wife towards the borders. These walks had become something important. Every moment they shared seemed to be in a way that stood starker than years past.

Sometimes Jorunn would join them, but today they were alone. There were a number of things on her mind, none of them settled enough to fully ruminate on, so she let them pass. Some days this lacking rankled her - with Erzulie there it was easier to discount them as unimportant. Only they mattered right now.

There will be too many children to count next year. She said quietly, a laugh behind it. They'd built something beyond imagination here.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
<3!

in warm quiet erzulie followed. she enjoyed the language that she and rosalyn had cultivated together all these years: wordless and almost telepathic in its intensity.
just them upon the sea-borders, just the pair of rubies half-swallowed by the low thickness of the white mists. "it seems every year sapphique be ambitious wid itself. an' every year, we be ready for it."
the whale had been sent by the sea herself, as if the ocean concurred with their plans.
[Image: F0ZZHqZ.png]
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Rosalyn looked out and, for a moment, her eyes were distant. So much had happened, yet she could barely remember a time before these cliffs were theirs. Many days it felt as though she'd been carved from them and always existed here.

I'm glad that she asked. Rosalyn said, returning to glance at her wife with a small smile. And I've been wondering if it was a mistake, what I said. We might not need more than each other, but what she's given is hard to describe. For both of us. She didn't know if her wife knew Jorunn had come to her as well, but if she did not, Rosalyn would have her know it.

She'd read disappointment in her answer, in choosing to hold back and refuse to be a mother this year, even in name alone. She wondered if it was a betrayal and if her worries weren't worth the results. Her wife had understood, but did she agree?
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
to them both.
erzulie had wondered, of course, but hearing it confirmed only warmed her spirit. she kissed rosalyn's cheek in silent approval. 
the children. she looked at the ground. "i want you wid us, my love, but only if you want to be. children can only thrive wid ano'ter parent, yes?" her eyes were soft. "you will always be mot'er to de babes i bear or who are borne to our den, rosalyn. i respect your right not to be called maman, but make no mistake, you be exactly dat."
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Rosalyn nodded, leaning in and allowing her eyes to close as she enjoyed the closeness of the moment. Then she drew back and sighed.

I worry. She looked off, finding the words difficult. Rosalyn had never hidden much from her wife but this she rarely spoke on. It was not something they could change, and the fear she felt was hers to bear. But this affected them all.

I’m not the mother I was. The confession caught in her throat some. Val. I didn’t know him, and there are others I wouldn’t know. I can’t even say how many, or what their names would be. They’re gone. Phantoms that appeared in glimpses every so often, only to flicker out without detail or clarity.

There was so little she could promise them.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
erzulie wanted to argue. but how could she deny these changes in her wife? and so she listened, nodding softly and holding rosalyn's eyes.
she was forgetting the faces of those she had loved, and could bear to forget no more.
"i understand, my love. my pirate. but each day dat you remember you be bound to t'ese shores, dat you bound to sapphique — it be a different kind of rememberin'. an' so long as children are in my arms; de names do not matter. only what we have between us now an' before an' again."
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
She'd refused to acknowledge it for so long, and tried to shove it aside each time it arose, but it needed to be faced if she was to continue. Rosalyn did not know how much she had lost; she had no way of knowing how much more would be taken. Every day she could be losing things that she simply failed to remember.

She no longer trusted herself. And as her body began to slow, and age bore down on her bones, she had begun to consider the time she had left. She felt healthy still, but in a way that seemed fragile... like the smallest thing could shatter it entirely. Her strength, and her resolve, thinned and patched with the passage of time.

Rosalyn knew that Erzulie could see it, and though she'd allowed herself to contemplate it on more than one occasion, she would never voice this particular fear out loud. She didn't mind death, or the rest it would bring. All that she feared was leaving behind the life she had built.

Maybe regretting it is my answer. She replied after a moment, gazing at her wife gratefully. Her entire soul, right here, always. This, here. This I'll never lose. She swore it easily.
1,689 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Medic
Master Guardian
once upon a time, eternity had spread out ahead of she and rosalyn. 
and now even as it quieted, as it grew limitations, she did not fear. the only worry erzulie had was that she would lose her wife before she crossed that threshold, and live slowly growing into a shade warped by grief.
ways enough to keep herself from that fate.
"never," she said, and her face contorted with tears she did not hide.
gently she leaned forward to kiss the long-loved mouth.
1,970 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Warrior
Ranger
Master Ambassador
Rosalyn moved to brush the tears from her wife’s face, then returned the kiss with a sweetness that lingered, igniting the spark in her soul that always lit the moment her wife was near. She knew with a sureness she couldn’t explain that even if she lost all other light, this would keep her warm.

I love you. Said so often, the words should have lost meaning by now, but her tone conveyed the well of honest emotion behind. It was bottomless.

She then wrapped Erzulie in an embrace and held her tightly. Amazed as always that this strong, undefinable woman had chosen her to walk alongside. Excited too for the prospect of motherhood once more, a chance to watch Jorunn flourish, beloved as she deserved.

seems like a good fade <3 if you want! I’ll miss these two so much but i know there will be so many more chances for amazing dynamics like theirs!