Pledged
Dragonspine
851 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
All Welcome 
Today, @Relic thought it would be funny to inform his sister how babies were made. Some of the crude terms he used were unfamiliar to Masquerade, though the process wasn’t. She possessed an innate understanding, corroborated by observing other creatures’ life cycles and, of course, questioning her elders from to time.

All the same, the reminder made her curl her lip and shove at his laughing face. Masque quit his company soon after, though she couldn’t quite forget the conversation. And soon enough it led her down a neural pathway previously unplumbed: would @Avicus whelp again someday? What about her daughters, herself included? Would they one day bear young?

Mating, conceiving, carrying and delivering offspring was one of life’s most natural processes. Masque found herself thrilling to the idea of witnessing Avicus’s next litter. And even the thought of @Redd having pups one day brought her joy. But when it came to herself, the idea made her cringe internally. She decided right then and there, as she sidestepped a log and began winding down a familiar game trail on the rise’s northern slope, she would never want pups of her own.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Redtail Rise
Wealda*
288 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Masquerade was quietly thoughtful.  At first Redd thought she might be hunting, but there was no sense of follow to her today, and no intentional silence to her steps.

Then there was nothing to interrupt.  Redd wondered if she would wrestle with her for a short moment and came into view to crouch, tail waving with invitation.  She smiled, then slapped her paws to the leaves and jumped back a short ways... only to repeat her crouch a moment later.  She would not hurt her, but wished to hone their skill.
Pledged
Dragonspine
851 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Despite her resolution, Masque couldn’t stop thinking about it, just like she hadn’t been able to shake off the conversation with Relic. She pictured herself full of pups and shuddered. It was more than just unpleasant. The thought of carrying living beings inside of her—and forcing them out into the world through her privates, of all things—made Masquerade recoil. It was visceral.

It actually made her stop in her tracks to take some deep breaths and try to divert her mind by force. She still felt slightly dizzy when Redd appeared, a playfulness about her. Masque smiled wanly and dipped her head to her sister, though she didn’t engage her invitation right away.

Feeling an explanation was necessary, Masque told her, I need a minute. I’m feeling a little dizzy. She took a couple breaths, then sought to distract herself by asking, Do you ever think about being a mother, Redd?
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Redtail Rise
Wealda*
288 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Redd straightened and tilted her head, appraising her sister, before moving silently to her side to sit next to her.  If she wasn't feeling well than she could give her company instead, support as well.

Masquerade was often an enigma for her reticent sister.  She had emotions and moods, thoughts and feelings that Redd couldn't follow.  But she was pack, family, and loved in her own quiet way.

This conversation would be one of those times.  Redd wasn't sure why she was asked this question or why it was even a question in the first place.  She had no reason to think of these kinds of things yet.  She shook her head, the simple answer being no.  It wasn't her decision to think about.  Why did Masquerade ask?  Redd looked at her, concerned by both the way she was breathing and the way she seemed off-balance - in many ways.  Wealda decides.  she said, hoping to reassure her.  There was no reason to even consider such questions.
Pledged
Dragonspine
851 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Redd’s voice grounded her, before she even registered the words. When she did, she slanted her muzzle toward the ground and then glanced at her sister out of the corner of her eye. It felt sacrilege to think it, much less voice it, but one day, Avicus would no longer be the Wealda. That Redd was her obvious heir was a foregone conclusion in Masque’s mind.

When you’re Wealda, Masquerade said, trying not to dwell on the fact of Avicus’s implied death in the consideration, do you think you’ll want to have pups?

Redtail Rise
Wealda*
288 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
When you are Wealda…

Redd gave her sister a long look, surprised into considering the meaning behind that statement for a time.  It was not a position she had ever thought to seek.  They had a Wealda, strong and capable, and it hadn’t crossed her mind that Avicus would not hold the position forever.  Wealda is Wealda.  She finally replied, dismissing the concept entirely from her own mind.  

But then she did smile and give her sister an affectionate kiss on the chin, an acknowledgement for the compliment.  She did not understand why Masquerade would ask or think such a thing, but if she held her to that esteem, it could only be good.

If Wealda wished her to have pups then she would.  If not she would not.  Every fiber in Redd was loyalty, and everything she did, she knew she would do for the good of the pack that surrounded them.
Pledged
Dragonspine
851 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Her mouth opened, then shut. Masque wouldn’t press the point of their mother’s death. Redd seemed ready to drop it and move on to something else, based on the touches carrying mostly affection but a little bit of puzzlement too.

I don’t want to have pups, she thought again, more vehemently. She supposed she could confess as much to her sister, though Masque decided to just let it go for now. It wasn’t like she wanted to keep thinking about carrying and birthing young. A light shudder wracked her.

Still want to spar? Masquerade wondered, though before her sister could reply, she added, Oh, there’s something I wanted to show you, and, in fact, she couldn’t believe she’d nearly forgotten.

Motioning for Redd to walk alongside her, Masque began walking toward the north face of the rise. She stuck close to its foot, guiding her fellow Toweard into a deep copse of trees tucked against the natural curvature of the hillock. The pungent smell of moose urine made Masque glance at her sister. It reminded her of the mother and calf they’d stalked once, though it was different: powerfully masculine.

She faced forward and led Redd to the base of a tree, where she hunched her back and proceeded to claw at the leaf litter and soil underneath. She had only buried her find shallowly, so it wasn’t long before Masque unearthed several tines and then the entire span of a single shed Alces alces antler.

Redtail Rise
Wealda*
288 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
For Redd, Wealda was endless.  More so, when she chose to step down, the one to replace her as Wealda would do so with her blessing.  None could hold this place that she did not find worthy.  Redd would not assume the one chosen by her, and by the Rise as a whole, would be her.  This would make her little better than the ambitious one, who she saw with both grudging respect and wariness.

Her sister did not press the issue, so Redd would not explain.  She likely wouldn’t have known how to either way.

They could spar but first she would see this thing.  Redd followed and watched with interest as Masquerade unearthed something.  It smelled of moose and dirt and saliva.  Redd stepped towards it and sniffed it, then lifted it slightly to judge its size.  It was larger than any she’d seen dropped.

Her tail lifted and she gave Masque a look that was impressed, nipping at her shoulder proudly.  It would make a good gift to any she wanted favor with, or a good thing to chew if she wished to hone her teeth.  It was an impressive find.  Her expression grew curious, and she looked at it again, then back to Masquerade with a tilt to her head.  Where had she found it?
Pledged
Dragonspine
851 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
When the antler was mostly exposed, Masque took a step back and shook herself, giving Redd an opportunity to inspect it. First the red she-wolf sniffed it, then grasped it to test its heft. When she was through examining it, Redd turned toward her sister and offered a congratulatory nip, which prompted Masquerade to drop her head and wave her tail.

I only found it, she said modestly. I didn’t even see the moose. But from his scent—and the size of it—I bet he’s enormous and powerful… She mused for a moment before proposing, We could try tracking him, if you want? Or I’m still up for that spar. Whatever you want to do.

Redtail Rise
Wealda*
288 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Her sibling was a strong hunter.  Redd knew this to be her preference over sparring, and knew that in time they would teach each other and strengthen.  She did not mind changing her plans.

Her answer was to bend and take the scent of the antler again, then begin to scent around it.  If she caught any hint that Masquerade had found it here, she would begin to follow the trail, knowing her sister would follow.  Otherwise she would follow her sibling’s lead instead to the place where the tracking would begin.
Pledged
Dragonspine
851 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
She watched as her sister scented the dropped antler again, recognizing it as Redd’s decision. Her tail waved as she waited for Redd to begin tracking, wondering if they might actually catch up to the moose with one (or perhaps no) antlers. She doubted they would attempt anything if they did; even with twice their number, they might not risk chasing a bull moose. But it would still be good experience.

My guess is he headed toward the grotto, Masque mused as they began to walk in tandem along the scent trail, recalling the same game trail she’d followed several times before.

Where he might’ve headed after that, she couldn’t guess. Masquerade hadn’t ventured any further than the foot of Nova Peak, though she’d scaled it once and spied a great valley spanning eastward toward some sprawling woods over yonder. If moose liked the cover of trees, then perhaps he’d headed that direction.

I was thinking this may be a good place to fade? :)

Redtail Rise
Wealda*
288 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Redd didn’t respond but allowed Masque to lead them.  In tracking her sister was superior; Redd did not mind this.  Her own thrill lay in the chase and the kill.

By watching she learned.  If Madquerade seemed to lose the trail she would assist in finding it, but until this she observed the way the other Toweard led.