"mireille?? more like misandreille *cackles*"
thank u val, very cool!
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Ecologist
Historian
Private 
tag for ref!

"so dis where you be, all dis time, hmm?" mireille chuffed softly. she and heda sat shoulder to shoulder in the lavender field, looking out to the good cold sea which lapped in wintry waves.
having unleashed @Quennell to bother the wildlife and denizens of sweetharbor, mireille had spirited away her friend to the edge of the island. "bart'olomew is a good man. i met him twice. he is kind." but her eyes lingered on the one she had once thought of as sister.
heda had changed. she was elegant as a gannet now, poised. and she spoke of god like she had always known him. but mireille wanted to dig into the past.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
listening
1,120 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Birdcatcher
Master Missionary
heda nodded, bobbing her head against the wind. "yes. i — well you know i lived on the glacier. then they moved to a mountain in the hinterlands. atautsikut." she drew a breath that emanated as a sigh, but ended as a little smile. "anyway. i met bartholomew not long after that. just — filled with anger."
recounting the events of the bypass and mahler's abandonment had not hurt so much, nor the story of druid or sequoia.
not this time. not here. "he is a good man," heda agreed, and no one but mireille would have caught the tightening along the front of her mouth, quickly evened by another grin. "and you. you're a leader now too. obsidian of sapphique. what's that like?"
Sapphique
Obsidian*
thank u val, very cool!
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Ecologist
Historian
mireille snorted a bit, kicked a rock into the shallows. "t'anks. but so far it has been chasin' puppies an' my brot'ers. well. dat be a lie. my da an' his wife, dey came to me for advice. i t'ink dey might leave." a second kick. "an' i mucked it up." another little stone. 
"but at least i have chacal." mireille's grin was mischievous, but soon faded, for she had not missed the change in heda's face. "are you happy here? i have to assume so, else you would not have been stayin' so long."
the emerald eyes moved to the alabaster face. "have you seen druid since all of it?"
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
listening
1,120 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Birdcatcher
Master Missionary
heda watched each little stone strike the water with the accuracy only a seawolf possessed. "no. i actually — i haven't seen anyone. ensio was here for a little while. then he was gone."
the salt air was a cold breeze for a moment, tousling both young women. heda was quiet, almost pensive; she flicked golden eyes sideways toward mireille and then back toward the ocean. 
the obsidian was wild as the breakers. she knew anyone who tried to put their arms around mireille would be shattered in the same way foam spread upon the shores.
"i'm sure you did well. that seems like a lot of pressure, your dad and his wife. what did they want?"
heda wished she could be so strong, born to the sea so fiercely that she was part of the sand.
Sapphique
Obsidian*
thank u val, very cool!
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Ecologist
Historian
"you didnae say you were happy, heda," mireille chastised with a wry look. "i wanted you to challenge my assumptions. bah!" rosalyn's laughter now. she calmed and looked more seriously at her companion.
"to ask me about mot'ers in dey pack." had that been all? she replayed the interaction in her mind. "meerkat — dat be da's wife — asked about me an' my mot'ers." mireille's turn to look more sober, the emerald of her eyes clouding a little.
"so now i have to choose."
this time there were no rocks to toss eloquently into the waves. 
"have you t'ought about it yet, being a mot'er?"
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
listening
1,120 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Birdcatcher
Master Missionary
"i am!" heda laughed, mireille's humour indeniable. "i really am. the island is so beautiful. it's so peaceful. i learned to be happy here. and to hunt other things, and to really, i dunno. appreciate things around me."
but whatever warmth she might have felt was whisked away by mireille's question. "no." 
too fast. too abrupt.
heda shut her eyes and exhaled sharply. "okay, yes. yes, i did. for a moment." and again her lips tautened, and she stared fiercely at the sea almost in desperation. "but i think my calling now is to be a hunter. to keep the mainland hunting grounds for sweetharbor."
Sapphique
Obsidian*
thank u val, very cool!
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Ecologist
Historian
mireille looked hard at heda. "out wit it, girl." and her voice was erzulie's in that moment. "we have spent mont's apart, we are older now. but t'ere be not'in' you cannot tell me."
the obsidian wondered what had her friend in such thrall, but she rooted herself there and refused to move on in their discourse until she knew.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
listening
1,120 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Birdcatcher
Master Missionary
heda let out her breath a little, but it was not a laugh. her throat hurt; her eyes stung, and her jaw jumped with a long muscle.
so she wasn't over it. so she wasn't beyond. but here heda wanted to be devoted to god, not —
"bartholomew."
heda dragged her golden eyes back to the striking face of the seagirl and felt a stab of jealousy. what if she could be so beautiful? would he have agreed then?
no. he served god as she did, and his path led somewhere else. "i thought maybe — well i told him i was in love with him."
cringe cringe cringe, but heda was determined to see it through.
"anyway he, uhhh, doesn't feel the same. so you know, that's over. we talked it out. everything's good. he —" 
is going to love someone else
"he understands, you know." the sweetharbor wolf swallowed. "it is what it is and it doesn't change how i feel about being here or staying. this is home."
Sapphique
Obsidian*
thank u val, very cool!
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Ecologist
Historian
love, unrequited. mireille listened and thought of how meerkat had suffered, how her mothers remained inseparable even though one day they would be parted.
and she wondered if love was worth such things, the way that heda's flawless face contorted in pain. anguish, for a man.
"i cannae say i blame you, heda, for choosin' him." her voice meant to be steadying joke. "when it is my time an' i leave sapphique, i had t'ought about askin' him. but he be almost too kind, hmm?"
he had spoken with such love of his pack. mireille has no doubt that heda held great favour, standing at his side. "pick someone else. what about sobo?" she suggested wryly, bumping their shoulders together. "he be handsome — i guess." the emerald eyes searched for those of her friend, hoping she had not overstepped, hoping she had lifted heda's spirits even a little.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
listening
1,120 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Birdcatcher
Master Missionary
the jealousy was swift and then passed. mireille was striking — heda did not doubt she could turn anyone's eye — but not bartholomew. he wanted someone pretty and womanly, someone established.
not her.
"he's too domestic for you," and her voice meant to tease the sea-girl.
she chuckled at the mention of sobo. the wind caught her hackles and whirled them. "i don't think he likes me much." but now she was curious, whether or not she admitted it.
Sapphique
Obsidian*
thank u val, very cool!
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Ecologist
Historian
mireille shrugged, a careless and charming gesture. "sobo be leadership wid chacal an' i. he is settled like he was not before." her teeth glowed. "an' he is not domestic."
the idea of sobo with heda was vaguely uncomfortable, simply because he was her brother and heda her friend. but it would keep them close, his children in sweetharbor.
"dis year, chacal chose a man from redtail rise," she said quietly. "she be knowin' him, an' he be knowin' his children." they did not live together but it mattered not.
mireille watched her companion. "or you can run away wid me when de time comes. we pick de same man, we come back home, an' den our little ones be siblings, oui?" the idea was preposterous, not for her, but for heda, who still grieved bartholomew in the depths of her eyes.
Rivenwood
Den Mother*
listening
1,120 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Birdcatcher
Master Missionary
the more mireille spoke, the more heda tried to picture what sobo must be like now. he had always looked well, cute even, but the way he had soured toward druid and adjacently herself had not left a good impression.
then again, neither had she. and now it was almost a year later.
heda laughed, a breathless, humorless sound. thoughts of her dark mentor squeezed at her heart, stealing any amusement she might have found.
she wanted him. and if she could not have him, if god had seen fit to move them in different directions, why should she not choose someone else? and why not sobo, if he wanted?
but it was too sad to think of now, touching as it was that mireille wanted them to be so bound. 
"i'll come to sapphique. maybe — soon." she was vague, leaning forward to brush her friend with a kiss. "you could be a matchmaker, you know."
Sapphique
Obsidian*
thank u val, very cool!
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Ecologist
Historian
"bah!" mireille scoffed in good humour, but her eyes shone. "i be holdin' you to dat, heda. come whenever."
finally the red seagirl rolled to her paws and picked debris from her coat. "now! time to collect my bad little brot'er an' find sometin' to eat. maybe we use quen as bait for your big turtle, huh?"
the young women laughed together, and by the time they had rejoined the younger wolf and the rest of sweetharbor, much of heda's bad humour had dissipated.