Cedar Sweep The world was on fire and no one could save me but you
232 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Private 
For countless days and nights, they had walked @Ulrich by her side. Ever the protector ever the guardian. The sharpened sword to her soft edges. Her paws hurt, the pads ripped and tattered from waking. More walking than she had ever done. Used to soft furs, and softer grasses. Nothing like this.

Pristine ears swiveled forward as she listened to all the new sounds and looked upon new sights with eyes of Umber and Wood. They had left the lifeless bodies, the screams in the night. Never had she been so grateful for the quiet strength in her guardians paws than now. She gave him a brief once over, eyes tracing along iron and steel. While he kept her in his vision.

However, her thoughts scattered and broke when the nearest site came upon them. Tall trees with straight trunks, reaching, reaching towards the stars. Shadows danced along the river bank that flowed and cut through the mossy loam. She squealed in delight and raced forward, her thoughts on the cool water, and the creatures beneath the trees. They could finally stop for a little while.
282 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
Ulrich was not paying close enough attention to his charge. He was busy keeping an eye out for danger, his nose almost constantly lifted into the air to catch the scent of anything--or anyone--nearby. Thus, when Adylaide released a squeal and rushed forward towards the trees, he flinched, gritting his teeth.

"My lady, please," he said, with a sigh, and then tsked and let her go. There was no one coming. No one around. Only the small scurrying creatures in the bushes and birds in the trees, and even those were few and far between, what with winter upon them. Most furry animals were safely hibernating in burrows, which made the hunting sparse.

Ulrich let the little goddess get ahead of him, though he watched carefully, eyes flicking here and there, keeping alert for sudden danger in the dimming light of dusk.

Ulrich is my happy character. I do not enjoy a lot of IC drama, such as physical altercations, or whumps, so if you are interested in RPing such things, please do not do so with Ulrich, or PM me first. I would love to thread with you, but in a stress-free way!

232 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ady had enjoyed watching Ully close as he had walked and studied and sniffed. He took his responsibilities seriously. Though it begged the question, was she even a responsibility anymore. After all, she had been left parentless, sibling less, alone. He could have let her to die, he could have, and he hadn't.

She giggled and called back. Master Guard! Come on. There's nothing here, see i even sniffed, just like you taught me. I smell animals i can eat though.

She bounded back to him and nudged him, taking a small delight at his closeness and then she waved her plume. 

Teach me to hunt, Ully. Please? The formalities she had learned at her mother's knees, slipping away like wisps of dust on the wind.

She looked around, anxious to learn. Perhaps this was not the best way to deal with the death of her family, but she found no reason not to enjoy her freedom now that it was given, despite how she had received it.
282 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
A small smile graced his maw at her excited words, thrown over her shoulder, though he quickly masked his face again so that she would not see. "You will hunt nothing if you scare all of the prey away with your loud and boisterous behavior," he scolded.

She came running back to him through the snow and nudged his shoulder with her nose, begging him to teach her to hunt.

He backed away, immediately flustered. "My lady, you are not to touch me, remember? Rather... I am not to touch you. You are a goddess. I am only a soldier." He almost asked her not to call him Ully, as well, but let that go as an indulgence. That had been a losing battle since she had been a pup; she'd always called him by that nickname, no matter how many times he had asked her not to. He shook his head.

"I will... teach you the basics of hunting, as it is just the two of us now. We must... both do our part, for even goddesses must eat." He looked out towards the trees in the waning light. "Now, hold still and use your senses. There are no deer or such large beasts around, so we must try harder to find prey. Listen. Smell. Watch the underbrush. What prey can you sense?"

Ulrich is my happy character. I do not enjoy a lot of IC drama, such as physical altercations, or whumps, so if you are interested in RPing such things, please do not do so with Ulrich, or PM me first. I would love to thread with you, but in a stress-free way!

232 Posts
Ooc — Danni
A small o took place on her maw at his words of reprimand about hunting. I wasn't that loud. She stage whispered as she neared him. 

A soft sigh of irritation slid from her throat and she shook her head. I am not a goddess. I bleed as you do, look.

She held up her paws, showing where they had cracked. And I'm not a lady anymore. I am simply Ady. There is no goddess here. And you are much more than a soldier Ully. Much more. I wish you could see your worth. My father was.

He throat cracked and she frowned. Well I didn't agree with him. I shouldn't speak ill of the dead.

She tried to listen to him, really she did. She was old enough to know better, but everything was so new to her. She had never been allowed to hunt before, or take baths in the river, or play. 

She stood still, her body quivering in anticipation, and a little bit of excitement. She gave a soft purl of delight at his words of just the two of them. Uncertain why she felt the need to do so, but she forced herself to pay attention.

Well I mean I smell, all kinds. Too many kinds. There's squirrel and rabbit and foxes and otters. The river and the trees are taken precedence though.

She frowned, and clucked. I'm not doing very well. Hmm.
282 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
Ulrich lifted an eyebrow at her stage whisper, telling him that she wasn't being loud. He said nothing at this, but kept his eyebrow raised so that she would know he did not believe that for a moment. However, when she came toward him and raised her paw to show him her torn pads, his face softened. "Oh, my lady..." he said, under his breath, his heart breaking for the blood she had lost and the pain endured. The pain that went much further than shredded paw pads. Louder, he said, "We should do something about that. I... I don't have much healer training, but the medics used to put some kind of chewed up moss on our paws when we came in looking like that." He paused, thinking. "I'm not sure what kind of moss it was, though. Perhaps simply resting your paws in the river up ahead may help..."

He had not even noticed her words about his worth, had been so focused on her pain that he did not hear anything at all until she began to tell him what she could smell, what prey she sensed. He shook himself, internally reprimanding himself for losing focus. That was how you died out here, by not paying attention. By allowing an enemy wolf or a bear or a cougar to sneak up on you.

"Squirrels would probably be too difficult for you," he told her. "They move very quickly and have the advantage of climbing into the trees upon being chased." He was about to say more when her next words cut through him like a thorn to the heart.

"I'm not doing very well. Hmm."

"You are doing just fine," he said, his voice harsher than he meant it to be, sounding angry at her when he was not at all angry at her. He was angry at this, their situation, angry that she was forced from the safety of her home. Angry that she looked down on herself when she had taken all of this in stride, and seemed to be handling it better than he was. He took a breath, closing his eyes, afraid he had frightened her. "You will learn." He kept his voice gentle now, as gentle as his harsh gargling voice could sound. "It simply takes time. Now... Perhaps a rabbit or a fox? They are fast runners as well, but they cannot escape into the trees."

232 Posts
Ooc — Danni
A soft titter of amusement leapt from her parted lips at his eyebrow raise. He was a wolf of many expressions and given their history she could read him quite well, even if he liked to think she couldn't. Silly guard.

At the softly uttered words, her heart tightened and stuttered and the breath that rattled around felt tight. Cheeks grew warm, but he continued on, oblivious to her inner turmoil. Would it always be like this? Him having no clue of the depth of her adoration for him. As it had always been, expanding and over encompassing as they ran from all they knew.

Were she to be alone, she knew she wouldn't have survived the night. But with Ulrich by her side, it all seemed less than.

But it burned. she whispered quietly. She had only been hurt a handful of times and the sting from the medicine had been just as bad. She curled a tail around her hocks, and lay her one ear down. Face crestfallen. Though she perked up at the mention of water, though she was still in the position to hunt. She was beginning to lose focus. 

She wanted to rage at him for not listening before she had assumed a huntress position. That he needed to think of himself too, not just her. Where would she be without him. Why wouldn't he take care of himself, think better of himself. That was a grave injustice her father had given him.

All positions were off at his next words. She tilted her head downward and lay her ears to her skull, curling her tail around her back legs. He was very seldom harsh with her, so when he was. His words cut her to the quick. She felt hot tears spring to her eyes. A small sniffle.

Though at his next words she lifted her head a bit, and blinked the mist from her eyes. Which one would be easier?
282 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
Possible powerplaying in this post?? If you want me to change just let me know. Also this post is short as fuck cos I wanted to give her a chance to either let him know what's wrong or to brush him off. Whatever you want.

'Which one would be easier?' she asked, and something in her voice, some small tremor, caught his ear.

He turned away from the forest, from its prey, and focused on her, eyes searching her face. "Adylaide," he said, his voice catching on her name, for he did not speak it often. "Are you all right?" All thoughts of hunting had left his mind at the tone in her voice.

232 Posts
Ooc — Danni
It's good

He turned to flay her open with his gaze. Searching. Searing as it always had. Though she would easily brag that she knew him well, wasn't it that he could say the same. He knew her habits, her movements, her inner workings. Their relationship was one of give and take, it had always been balanced in this way.

Though at her softly uttered name. She had to fight a gasp. It was so rare that he used her given name. That she wanted to cherish it, just for a moment. Hold it close to her chest and let it warm her. Keep it there, a treasured thing. But his next question and the moment was lost.

I'm alright, just. You don't often speak harshly to me. it was surprising and saddening. I don't like it. Though I understand it.

She had always promised open communication with him. No matter how much it hurt, because she strived for the same with Ully. She wanted him to feel free to speak of his own thoughts, ideas, anything really. Just that he would speak to her, without walls.
282 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
Her words stung him. Not because she had offended him but because he knew that he had hurt her, that his tone of voice had come through more than he had thought. He closed his eyes for a few moments, shaking his head slightly, berating himself internally. Adylaide was his charge and his goddess to protect and it was not his place to speak harshly to her, even by accident. He must be more careful.

I am so sorry, he said, keeping his voice low and calm. I… these last several days have been… I was not angry with you, but at the world. At the circumstances of our current fare in life. This—all this—should never have happened. He swept his muzzle around, indicating their location, the fact that they were here in this strange wilderness in winter, alone, because of some… sick uprising at home. You should be safe in your den, warm and well-fed by the hunters at home. Not learning to hunt yourself. His gaze wandered now as he became lost in thought, for he missed home, as well. Despair filled his heart as he wondered what on earth they were supposed to do now, where they would go…

232 Posts
Ooc — Danni
She could see the moment she said her piece, that it hurt a little, but as always testament to his breeding and his line of work he quickly forced the expression from his face. But she could still tell, she could always tell.

She tilted her head watching him shake his head. The internal words that he was telling himself were probably harsh and unfair, but he would not accept her touch or her words against it right now.

She had enough and she pressed against his shoulder with her nose, not caring that he would growl about it. But it would force him out of his reverie, and when his attention was on her, and the scandalous look would enter his eyes, she would back away.

You needn't apologize. She lifted her head high, as she was taught and spoke, forcing conviction into her voice.

I to am angry at the world, but I am also grateful. I would not be here, not alive if it were not for  you or your quick thinking. You are making sure I am well-fed and warm, that I can take care of myself, and that is more precious than other things. A small silver lining at the darkness that upturned our lives.

She frowned. Although I am sorry that you are forced to be in my presence constantly now, you get no break.
282 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
He did move away from her when she touched him, his face hard and eyes turned away from her. She must learn to stop touching him. It was forbidden.

At her words, however, he turned to her again, forced to pay attention by the tone of her voice, so full of conviction. There she was. His princess. His goddess. He was proud of her then, for how well she was taking all of this. She was doing surprisingly well, given the circumstances. He brushed aside her compliments to him with a small shake of the head. He was only doing his job, and if he was doing it well, that was no cause for celebration. It was only what was expected.

”Although I am sorry that you are forced to be in my presence constantly now, you get no break.”

His head snapped up at these words, his honey-brown eyes staring wide. How could she think that? My lady… The words stuck in his throat, so he cleared it. I have watched over you from the moment you were born. It has been a privilege and an honor and I… I could never tire of your presence. Do you understand? I have watched you grow into a fine young woman and I… and…

Suddenly he was horribly self-conscious. W-Well. Only know that I… e-enjoy your company. He turned away from her, scanning the trees, feeling hot. Gruffly, he said, If we are going to hunt we must do it now, before the light fades completely.

232 Posts
Ooc — Danni
There was her grumpy Ully. A little more of himself. Clearly irritated that she touched him. She hid a secretive smile, not displeased with her actions or his in the least. If he didn't realize it now, he would eventually that she didn't tire of touching him and she would continue to do so, if he continued to simply move. His movements were not of a malicious kind and though he clearly didn't like it, it wasn't because he didn't like it, it was because it was forbidden in his eyes. Which was absolute bull puckey if you asked her. A red tinge colored her cheeks as she used harsher language than normal even in her head.

She was able to see the brief flare of pride in his gaze, and a soft feeling entered her chest. This was the moments she adored. When he gazed at her openly, ernestly and kindly. When she was absolutely certain he could see her, not the princess that she was, but her. The wolfess she longed to be.

He gazed at her akin to horror and she was alarmed, and then he spoke. So caught up in his emotions he had to clear his throat. How unlike him. Though she had noticed this had become a thing of sorts as she had aged, though it wasn't often. It was enough.

She nodded in the affirmative. I understand.

A soft titter of laughter musical and light curled from her lips and she dipped next to him, not touching, but close enough. 

So I have to hunt something. You never answered me by the way, Master guard. Which is easier a fox or a rabbit?
282 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
Now that they were speaking of hunting once more, Ulrich found himself much more relaxed. He took a relieved breath, glad to be rid of their emotional conversation. Such things made him nervous and unsure, and he hated to feel that way.

"Which is easier: a fox or a rabbit?" she asked him.

In his mind's eye, he had a brief flash of an image, a fox Adylaide had cornered. It cowered against a rock or a tree, and as she approached it to go for the kill, it lashed out at her with its fangs, to fight to the death in its desperation. He imagined a splash of red against his princess' beautiful white coat, her face marred by blood, pain clouding her eyes.

"A rabbit," he said firmly. "A rabbit will be easier. Though we'll have to work together. Any rabbit in its right mind is nestled safely away underground right now, to wait out the night and the cold. We'll have to flush one out of its hole. So." He glanced at her. "Find me a rabbit hole." And he indicated with his head, gesturing towards the trees. "I will follow."

232 Posts
Ooc — Danni
A soft sigh at his clear movement away from the conversations at hand. It both endeared her and exasperated her, with his clear dislike of emotional conversations. How would she ever make him see her as less than a princess and goddess as her father so proclaimed. She didn't want to be his goddess or his princess.

She was not privy to his thoughts, but there was a look in his eyes that said it was not a pleasant thought. And she knew him well enough to know were she to push. He'd ignore. His words were firm, he had made a decision. Now she must follow it. 

She searched, the light at the edges of the sky darkening. The first hole she came upon was large and smelled almost sweet. Larger than what a rabbit would make she was certain. Though she wasn't entirely certain she was following a rabbit trail. She had only found rabbit after it was caught for her.

Then she found a hole beneath a tree, but the scent from there was dusky and musty. Old. Finally she found a few burrows of what she thought was rabbit and she looked up at him with wood eyes. Is this a rabbit hole, Ully?
282 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
Ulrich was impressed by her tracking skills. He followed along at a small distance behind her, letting her search for a rabbit den on her own. The first few places she came to were the wrong animal, or they were old and lacked any prey to speak of. Each time she came to such a place, she turned and went on, nose to the ground, eyes and ears alert. She twisted and turned through the trees and underbrush, and then finally stopped, asking him if she'd found the right thing.

He came closer, inspecting the dens she had found, sniffing at them. "Yes," he said, standing upright again. "These are rabbit burrows." He gave her a rare, brief smile. "You've done well for someone who's never hunted before. Now... the rabbits within will not come out willingly, especially not with the two of us standing here. We must flush them out. One of us will have to dig into the burrow from behind, scaring the rabbit or rabbits out, and one of us will have to catch one at the front. Which job would you like?"

He did not know which he was hoping she would take. He had a feeling that she might fail if she were tasked witch catching a rabbit, that it would bolt left or right or between her legs before she had even snapped her jaws at it. However, it would be good practice either way. But he gave her the option to dig if she felt more comfortable with it. She would gain some hunting experience no matter which job she chose.

232 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ady got frustrated at moments of broken concentration. And she knew she wasn't doing as well as the hunters from their home had done, but needless to say. She was finding the task not so daunting and she liked the different smells she came across. Though branches and brambles poked at her sides, sticking to her fur, because she didn't quite know how to avoid them yet. She was a genteel lady, one of breeding and wealth, who didn't know really how to take care.

I just tried to find the smell from the creatures the hunters brought.

She looked around. The simple fact was anyone could dig a hole. She knew that. She had even done so a time or two. and she had said she wanted to learn to hunt so she nodded and bounced on small paws. 

I'll try and hunt, or i guess grab it. I told you I wanted to learn. What do I do first? 

She looked up at him with blind trust, knowing he wouldn't steer her wrong, ever. He was steadfast.
282 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
He nodded when she told that she wanted to be the one to catch the rabbit. "All right. You stand right here, at the opening of the rabbit warren. Keep your body low to the ground, your head down near the entrance. At the first sign of movement, you bite, and hold tight! The rabbit will not give up immediately. You must be willing to hold it until it dies. Do you understand? Grip it firmly in your jaws and shake. With luck, its neck will snap, ending its suffering and delivering us dinner."

He waited until she was standing as he had showed her, paws spread apart for good balance, body and head low to the ground. Then he went around the hole to the back. "I'm going to dig now," he said. "It may take some time. Several minutes, perhaps. Or, they may spook early and flee in seconds. You must pay attention and be ready to strike at any moment, no matter how long you stand there. Lose concentration for but a moment, and you'll find dinner streaking away through the bushes." He took a breath, setting his paws in the snow. "I'll have to dig through the snow first, and then down into the dirt. Are you ready?"

At her say so, he began to dig, forcing his cold paws down through the hard snow and towards earth.

232 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ady listened as close as she dared, and then assumed the position. A thrill of excitement snaking along her back and shoulders. Paws akimbo, but firm. Head low. She waited.

The seconds, then minutes crawled. The only sounds were her own breathing and the sound of Ully's large paws digging at first the snow and then the dirt. She hoped it didn't hurt, him overly much. The ground was probably hard and frozen. She didn't want him to have an issue with it.

After what felt like forever, she began to hear the squeaks beneath the ground. The sound of pattering paws as they raced from one tunnel to the next. Trepidation reared it's ugly head and she was certain she wouldn't catch it. At the first sight of the small creature, she lunged and snapped. Fur and flesh against her tongue. She shook her head, once, twice three times and then it hung limp. She tried to lunge for a second one, but it was a bit to quick for her.

Then she jumped up and down and raced towards her guard and friend and squealed. Slamming into him.

I did it! Did you see that Ully! I did it!

She pranced and danced in place, her tail waving behind her, as she completely lost her in head in a moment of joy. Though when it was all said and done, tears streamed from her eyes and she wasn't certain why, but a smile still graced her muzzle.
282 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
semi-realism ftw. one wolf cries, the other does not. ahahaha.

It did end up taking several minutes, and Ulrich worried that Adylaide would grow bored or weary and lose concentration. He couldn't worry about that, however. He had to keep digging. And then, in a matter of seconds, it was all over. He heard her jaws snap on a rabbit, heard its desperate squeaks, and then she shook it hard, once, twice, thrice, and it was done.

She surprised him by attempting to go after a second one, but it got away between her legs. That was fine. He had not expected her to catch more than one.

Suddenly she was springing toward him and her body slammed into his as she chattered with excitement. He grunted upon impact with her and quickly backpedaled, but he could not keep an amused smile off of his face. He shook his head at her little dance, still smirking. And then he smelled the salt and saw the tear tracks in the fur around her eyes. Concern immediately flooded him, making him forget about all that had just happened.

"Adylaide, your eyes," he said, his tone serious and afraid. "Did you get something in them? Was it when the rabbits escaped? Did they kick up dirt into your face?" He made a noise of distress in his throat, looking behind her towards the river. "You should dunk your head in the water to clear your eyes. It will be cold, but we must clean them."

232 Posts
Ooc — Danni
I'm game.

Though it had taken longer than she had liked. She felt immense pride in herself. A sense of accomplishment that she hadn't ever really felt. Perhaps when she had been younger, and she had learned the lessons Queen Mother had granted fit to give her. But this somehow felt more important than how to dance, how to make people listen. how to command a room. This was literally life or death.

Ady stared at him with surprise. What? I'm fine. No nothing go in them. i'm just.

She worked her tongue against her teeth, uncertain what it was she wished to say. She had to think hard, on how she wished to word this. But what could she say, when she wasn't even certain herself why she was crying. She had an inkling, but it wasn't fully formed. 

I think I was just overcome. I'm so proud of myself, but well my parents aren't here to see it and neither are my siblings. THough they'd probably all call me a fool for even trying. It isn't a princess's job to hunt.

She adopted a haughty tone, though it fell hollow given the circumstances.
282 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
Ulrich had no idea why a wolf overcome with emotion would leak tears from their eyes, but he was loathe to contradict his princess. He fell silent as she spoke, the last bit of daylight fading from the sky, and the shadows overtaking the forest. He was saddened when she brought up her parents and siblings; he knew she missed them, and he was horrified that she had had to witness their dead bodies before he had gotten her away from the chaos of that night.

A low, but playful growl released from his throat. "Anyone who calls you a fool would have to go through me. Besides, it's good that you're learning. How many princesses can say that they've caught their own food before?" He looked away from her, towards the carcass she'd left in the snow. "Speaking of which, you should go eat. You need your strength. We'll stop here for the night and move on in the morning." To where, he did not know. How far would he have to take her before she was safe? And would they ever return home?

232 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Ady herself didn't know why she was the way she was. But well she couldn't really change now given her age and disposition at least not the big parts of herself. She could file some of the blunt edges and rework the round ones.

She watched with curious and awed gaze as colors bled from the sky and the sun began to leave them all in the darkness of it's other half.

At his playful growl she smiled at him. Open and easy. Loving that he was trying to make her feel better about it all.

One! Me. She laughed and gave a small bunny hop of excitement.

You need to eat too! I'll share. After all I am very small and need not much.

Then as they would find a place to bed down. She'd lay as near him as he would allow, for wherever Ully was, was safety and home.
282 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
Ulrich hemmed and hawed at her insistence on sharing. One rabbit was not enough meat for one wolf, let alone two. But she refused to let him get away with a completely empty stomach, so he reluctantly agreed to take half. They could hunt more in the morning. Maybe they'd come across an injured or dead deer somewhere. Possibly. Probably not, but he could at least hope.

When dinner was through and they were bedding down for the night, he felt Adylaide lay down close beside him, her back pressed to him. He wanted to immediately tell her not to touch him, tell her to move away, or to move away himself, but he hesitated. Out here, without a den, in the snow, they might freeze on their own. Shared body heat might be the only thing to keep them alive through the night. He gave a great sigh and said nothing, only lay his head on his paws and tried to sleep, though the image of his dead king and queen haunted his dreams...

[End.]