Moonglow
Alpha*
3,114 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
a thought came to her.

the air was bitter with ice. the hairs of her pelt gathered a glittering. 

she piled dried deer meat into strips of birchbark and called for @Kivaluk and @Nasamik, who she had allowed to stay close if she did not seek her own shelter.

"i greet you, kingullimik," she said when the young hunter had come. "i greet you, nasamik," she said, speaking the new one's name aloud for her nephew's ears, and her relative's high title for the same reason.

kukutux handed them each a bundle of meat. "nasamik has the want to find her own ulaq. go with her, kivaluk. in the night i heard wolverine brother, high on the mountain."

moonwoman kept her voice a conversation. but her mind worked quietly as she waited for them to speak and to set off.
[Image: pSj9vo4.png]
Brecheliant
Family
371 Posts
Ooc — delaney
he is summoned by ajakuluk and with haste kivaluk makes his way to where the pale moonwoman waits for him. ajakuluk, kivaluk greets kukutux with rumbled affection turning frostbound gaze to the newcomer. he does not recognize her. one of the new ones he's smelled upon the border, then.

a small puff of his chest is given at the title of 'second', carrying the weight of the armor with pride though he quick to temper it before it could get the best of him.

he peers at the bundles of meat that kukutux sets before each of them, ears cupping forth to accompany nasamik, kukutux had called her, on her search for a ulaq.

the news of nearby wolverines sets his skin prickling and he understands why he was tasked with offering company. protection, perhaps if it was needed.

he turns then to nasamik, frostbound gaze taking her in. do you have a general idea of where you'd like your ulaq to be? he asks.
181 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
Moonwoman called for her. Nasamik would not keep her waiting.

Approaching at a paced gait, she slowed and neared Kukutux. Like before, the girl touched her nose to the woman's shoulder, offering a warm rumble as well. Moonwoman, She voiced gently.

Then her attention shifted to another. Nasamik dipped her head lightly in greeting.

They had both been called. And the reason was soon shared. 

Kivaluk was his name. The two would travel to find an ulaq for her. She was quite surprised, but did not show much of it in this moment.

Somewhere at a higher elevation. Animal hides are best preserved in colder temperatures. I intend to keep many in my ulaq, and to use the surrounding space to skin and cure them. Thus far, this was the only condition she had for where she was to sleep. This, and one other. ... but I also would like a space that is safe for the young. When it is time to marry and give birth, I would prefer to not have to move to another space. Wherever I choose, will remain as my own.

Nasamik looked to him with a curious gaze. Did he have somewhere in mind based on these ideas, or would they both be searching somewhat blindly.
pregnancy (9/9)
Moonglow
Alpha*
3,114 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
last for kuku! <3

kivaluk spoke to the woman. nasamik, after offering respect to kukutux in her way, answered the man.

the atsak's knowing green eyes saw no sign that they had been moved by one another. 

and so she would send them off. "go now," she said, and gestured to the bundles. "no need for hunting today. more snow is coming. nasamik," she said gently, "if you have the want of help when you have found your new lodge, call for me."

with that, she chuffed toward the new northern woman and secondhunter then turned, calling to ariadne. the two would set off to dig a new cache in the ice.
Brecheliant
Family
371 Posts
Ooc — delaney
well met, nasamik. kivaluk greets her with a gentlemanly tip of his head in greeting.

kivaluk considers the conditions of what sort of ulaq she looks for: higher in elevation to preserver the skins she intended to use to line her ulaq ...and a ulaq spacious enough to house a husband and children. even older children so there was no reason to move.

both reasonable enough requests.

kivaluk draws on his mapping of the spine during his many patrols and explorations: sometimes with purpose and sometimes simply to learn the secrets of the spine.

i know of a good place to begin looking. there are a few abandoned dens, ones that he'd considered for his bachelor's den but ultimately decided against for some reason or another. they may not be as big as you want but there is room for expansion. as to which, since he was accompanying her: he'd be willing to help with if she found one she liked.

his gaze turns back to kukutux as she speaks again, informing him of snow and that he was not needed to hunt. when she departs, his gaze focuses back up nasamik. if you're ready, i'll lead the way. he offers, picking up his bundle of meat.
181 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
They wouldn't be traveling so blind after all.

As he spoke, he mentioned knowledge of a few similar areas. Perhaps they wouldn't be exact in standard, but it would still be doable.

We can begin there, then. Nasamik nodded, reaching for the bundle given by moonwoman.

Kivaluk had the means to send them off. She was ready. And with a final nod of farewell and gratitude to Kukutux, the girl fell in step behind her guide.
pregnancy (9/9)
Brecheliant
Family
371 Posts
Ooc — delaney
the walk is not too far; scenic. the higher up in elevation they go, doubt erases from kivaluk's mind in regards to whether it would snow or not. he could feel the glacial bite upon his flesh, seeping past the coarse, heavy winter coat he's grown.

he keeps his pace even, slowed so that she did not have to rush to keep up with him.

when he reaches the spot he thought might work for what she was looking for ulaq wise, his steps slow and he sets the meat bundle down on a stump for safe keeping. there's one to the left there, he gestures with his muzzle. and two more a bit back, more towards our left.

kivaluk pauses then, shifting his weight slightly. they may not fit perfectly into what you're looking for but they all appear like they're structurally sound enough to renovate as needed.
181 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
The trek was not far, and even more pleasant than she had hoped. Her excitement to see these sites was great, but perhaps not as much so as her awe for the sights they passed. This place had certainly been well chosen by moonwoman for this village.

Nasamik was grateful for the secondhunter, as he did not rush. With shorter legs than his, her muscles would have begun to ache trying to keep a quick pace.

When they finally arrived, Kivaluk explained his findings. They were not everything she sought, but they were far better than nothing at all.

Chuffing softly with a small "thank you" in mind, she slipped away from his side to explore the hollows he had led her to. The front was decent, but the farther ones seemed a bit more appealing. Her focus remained there, until eventually she had decided upon one of the two.

This one will do nicely. She decreed allowed, returning to view with an eye in the direction of her chosen ulaq. It lacks much space, but the walls are soft enough to be dug out... and there is plenty space surrounding to expand. I may go ahead and create an additional hollow within to store and cure my pelts. Moonwoman has already offered some to me to prepare and use as bedding and decor within.

Now she looked back to him, curious to see if she approved of her plans. It was for some odd reason that she felt she was in need of it.
pregnancy (9/9)
Brecheliant
Family
371 Posts
Ooc — delaney
as she leaves his side to explore the ulaq's avaliable, kivaluk sets the bundle of meat down nearby. he does not explore the dens himself, instead straddling a strange line between standing sentry and inspecting the immediate area for any signs of the wolverine kukutux had mentioned hearing.

he does not smell it: not recently nor any sort of stale scent trail. still, it does not entirely put him at ease. just because it wasn't around at the moment didn't mean it wouldnt't eventually wander this way.

kivaluk's attenion is drawn from sweeping the area to nasamik as she emerges from a den and declares that it will work. nice. he encourages with a grin. sounds like a good plan, he hums, contemplative. if you need help expanding ...let me know. he offers with a soft wag of his tail.

i don't smell the wolverine nearby. so, you should be good on that front. kivaluk gives her the report of what he's deduced during his brief sweep. with any luck, her scent upon the area would keep the wolverine away.
181 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
His approval given, Nasamik dips her head to him again in thanks. Without his knowledge of the region, she may have never found this spot.

If you need help expanding, let me know.

I appreciate the offer. When the time comes, I may just take you up on that. Or, if she was already married to another by then, Kivaluk's help may not be sought after all.

If I catch any scent of the critters, I'll be sure to let someone know. Not only was their presence endangering to her ulaq, they were so to others of the village as well.
pregnancy (9/9)
Brecheliant
Family
371 Posts
Ooc — delaney
kivaluk feels a deep sense of duty: to be useful to moonglow and the wolves that call it home. it's likely an unhealthy front to avoid the things he knows he needs to confront but ultimately shies away from ...but he does enjoy having things to do.

he was not born to be an idle creature.

good, he rumbles, content by this answer. kivaluk takes a breath, shifting his weight for a second as he tries to combat the sudden swell of awkwardness he feels, knowing that he's not the greatest at small talk.

do you need anything else? he asks, not wanting to leave her here in her lonesome but also not wanting to be a weirdo just standing around, either.
181 Posts
Ooc — Heretic
end here?

No, thank you, She answered, offering a smile and a grateful dip of her head.

Until next we see one another, Kivaluk. A hasty send off, but he seemed eager to be free of what awkwardness stood between them.
pregnancy (9/9)