Two Rivers Isle the dead are silent.
121 Posts
Ooc — siv
Pack Formation 
He decided that today he would fish for them. Even if the rivers ran cold and he had not had some practice in a while. He remembered the important things he had been taught of it.

He had been careful to find somewhere that was not just endless ice or shards of it floating by.

It would be there he'd stay perched. Until either he caught enough to feel pride, or until the sun settled. Whichever came first.

makan cannot speak โ€” i am okay if this cuts a thread short due to hard interaction!
282 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
Ulrich was patrolling the borders like usual when he came across the newest member of their little... was it a pack if there were only three of them? The borders consisting of river on all sides, he was bound to run into anyone along the banks. He hesitated when he saw the man, still unsure of exactly how to communicate with someone who could not speak. Not to mention that he looked like he was contemplating something very deeply, staring in the water with such concentration. Perhaps he did not want to be bothered? Ulrich was very aware that he did not want to be an overbearing leader. He would not force his presence onto anyone--he'd had enough of that from his king back in his previous home.

A-Ah, he began, awkwardly. Hello. I'm... just patrolling. Would you care for some company, or would you rather I... let you be?

Ulrich is my happy character. I do not enjoy a lot of IC drama, such as physical altercations, or whumps, so if you are interested in RPing such things, please do not do so with Ulrich, or PM me first. I would love to thread with you, but in a stress-free way!

121 Posts
Ooc — siv
Ah!

The man was here and Makan welcomed him openly. His tail waved behind him and a ghost of smile tugged on his features. Gently he beckoned him closer with a swing of his muzzle.

Then gestured to the water with a soft click of his teeth.

Dull blue eyes turned back to the man, did he understand?

makan cannot speak โ€” i am okay if this cuts a thread short due to hard interaction!
282 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
The man seemed happy to have him as company, so Ulrich smiled and came closer. He puzzled over the click of teeth and the gesture towards the water. Did he mean how icy the water was? The teeth clicking could indicate something hard. Or... F-Fishing? he guessed, as that made much more sense than his ice theory. I must admit I've never fished. He chuckled. Yet I picked a place to settle that was surrounded by water. I thought the rivers would be good protection against rivals.

Ulrich is my happy character. I do not enjoy a lot of IC drama, such as physical altercations, or whumps, so if you are interested in RPing such things, please do not do so with Ulrich, or PM me first. I would love to thread with you, but in a stress-free way!

121 Posts
Ooc — siv
The man was smart! Quick to read the signs that Makan could give.

It was for that alone he thought the man might be a good leader. Aside from kindness that radiated off the older man in waves.

His head nodded in agreement โ€” both to the question and the statement of protection. Softly he motioned for the man to join his side properly. Makan could be a teacher in this, he thought.

If the man had the want to learn!

282 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
Ulrich hesitantly approached the silent man and sat down beside him. He stared down into the sluggish water, though this area of the river was not as sluggish as others. His packmate had picked a good location for fishing. A-All right, Ulrich said, still staring down into the river. What now? He glanced at the man; since he would not speak, Ulrich must watch and copy his movements, most likely. Hopefully he did not make too big a fool of himself, though he didn't expect to catch anything right away.

121 Posts
Ooc — siv
He motioned for the man to stay there.

Slowly Makan wadded into the rippling waters and then stilled. Watched as the water curved around his long limbs, waited for a glint that was something unusual. Not the typical flash of the water.

There!

He snapped with a ferocity almost too strange for the silent man, but he was rewarded for it. Head pulled back to show off his catch.

282 Posts
Ooc — Harvest

Ulrich winced when the silent man waded out into the river. He knew the water was bone-chillingly freezing--he remembered falling in, himself, weeks before. Perhaps he did want to learn to fish, after all... At least, not right now. Maybe in the summer? When the water would be warmer? Then again... if his packmate could do it, then so could he, and what kind of a leader would he be if he did not follow suit?

Oh, well done! Ulrich said, as the man's head came back up out of the waters, his jaws clamped around a large fish. And then he sighed. I suppose I should go in now... With a deep breath held in his chest, he forced his paws to go forward--and gasped at the cold. By the time he stood where his packmate had stood, his entire lower half was numb with cold.

He could hardly think about anything, let alone trying to catch a fish. What had the silent man done? It seemed he had simply held still and then suddenly dived... but the dive could not be random. He stared down into the water but could see nothing. Puffing with cold and shock, he tried to hold still, though he was shivering violently. Don't scare the fish away, he thought.

When he thought he felt something bump and brush against his leg, he thrust his head down into the water and came up with... nothing.

121 Posts
Ooc — siv
He had to admit that he was joyed to see the other man try.

It brought a great sense of pride to teach another, to give them the courage to attempt these things. For if somebody had not done such for him, he likely would not be standing here today.

Ah, but, there were better things to focus upon โ€”

Even if Ulrich did not catch it! Still Makan smiled wide and let his tail wave behind him. A muffled (by default, unfortunately) boof in the back of his throat.

282 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
Ulrich quickly got out of the water after his failure. In fact, he didn't mind his failure to catch a fish so much because it meant he could get out. Of course, he could've gotten out whether he caught something or not. There he went again, overthinking everything.

He went some distance from the silent man and took the chance to shake himself, splattering water all over the place, which is why he'd gone away from his packmate. When he was about as dry as he was going to get, he padded back over to the man and smiled ruefully. Well... I suppose I can try again some other time. Perhaps in the summer when the river isn't so cold? This he asked with a hopeful tinge to his voice, praying he would not have to brave the frigid water again.

121 Posts
Ooc — siv
fade for something fresh? <3

Ha!

The man had humor and Makan's features grew brighter. Eyes crinkled at the corners some as he gave a soft lifting of his lips.

Then nodded strongly. He would not subject his own leader to the cold waters again! Not everybody cared for them โ€” and even Makan could only take it in small doses.

282 Posts
Ooc — Harvest
Sure!

Good, Ulrich said, smiling and feeling much better now that he knew he would be dry soon. But I enjoyed this fishing lesson, he added quickly, not wanting the man to feel bad. He glanced at him worriedly, and hurried on. It's good that the Isle has at least one competent fisher, or I'd feel like a fool for picking such a place to live. And he laughed, genuinely.

In the distance, he heard a cry for him, Adylaide calling him for something. Ah. I'll have to leave you for now. He nudged the man's shoulder in a friendly way with his own as he passed him, and loped off.

[End.]