Northstar Vale Alepoú
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
All Welcome 
Set before the family road trip. <3 If you have time!

Another member of Towhee’s family had joined them. Arsenio carried a goat’s pelt on his back as he searched for the man called @Phox. The fur was a welcoming gift, made smooth and soft by the treatment that the Arche had given it. It smelled faintly of juniper berries – a touch that he had added after hours of practice with the pelts.

Lifting his head, Arsenio called out to the man. He found a quiet space where he could wait.
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,591 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
i was hoping they could thread!

On some level, Phox wondered if the leaders here were actually okay with two of their members being disabled in some way or another. He knew his one blind eye wasn't outwardly visible, and he rarely mentioned it, but it was a "thing." Towhee was deaf. And now he was missing a whole damn leg.

When he was summoned, Phox wriggled his way to his feet and headed toward the leader. Arsenio, right? I think Towhee mentioned you a time or two, although I don't believe we've been formally introduced. Phox vaguely recalled seeing him at Mereo, but he could have been wrong about that. His memories of names and faces was really going to shit these days.
player preferences
-speaking+ptero- -ptero- speaking
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Anytime! :3

That is me, he answered with a toothy smile and firm nod.

Arsenio eyed the other man, curious about his travels and the life that had created the marks on his body. The disabilities that stood out had been concerning, but only from the perspective of a soldier. They were not intended to march to war. Epoch was a place of learning and teaching. It would benefit from the type of man who had endured.

Here, a gift for you. I have prepared it, myself. I believe I’ve gotten it to where the smell of juniper is- ah… faint.

The goat skin was pulled from his back. He stepped forward and presented the soft fur skin to the other man. Arsenio bobbed his head in approval before he settled onto his rear. 

I hope you are settling in well enough.
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,591 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
Phox had scarcely noticed the thing on Arsenio's back. Some part of him just assumed the guy had a weird skin/fur condition. It was a rather nice gesture, but... why?

Oh, that's... very generous. Phox suddenly wished he had something to give in return. Perhaps he could work on that in the coming weeks. It would have to be something very nice. This rather lavish skin would definitely be going straight to wherever Phox decided to make his home base here in Epoch.

I think so, yeah. Is there anything... I can do to help out? I did plenty of training back in Mereo, but obviously... with the leg and all. Figured I could be of use doing other things here. Maybe focus more on teaching others to read the stars for navigation, how to track, that sort of thing.
player preferences
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Nothing was expected in return. Arsenio nodded enthusiastically at Phox’s mention of generosity.

It is nice to have something warm for your home in these cold months, the Arche explained with an easy shrug of his broad shoulders. If Epoch was to grow into a place for families and learning, it would need to have the comforts of such a place. The vale was beautiful. With a few personal touches, it could house future Redhawks and Galanis’ for years.

Now that you mention it, my daughter Zosime is interested in the stars. I think she would be a fitting first pupil for you. It warmed his heart to think that there was someone who could expand her knowledge on that subject. Arsenio had done his best to answer her questions and offer her names of the constellations. Phox would be able to trump his teachings in a heartbeat. He loved it!

Is there anything that you hope to learn while you are here, though? You can never be too old.

Glacial blue eyes pierced Phox questioningly.
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,591 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
Zosime, got it, Phox repeated aloud, wanting to cement the name in his memory. Getting on the good side of the leaders would definitely be beneficial. He had learned that lesson while living at Mereo. Germanicus, while a bit distant, had at least been amiable. Arsenio seemed a bit more approachable based on this one little interaction, so that was a nice departure from the stone-cold, business-only attitude of the Imperator.

I'll give it some thought, but there's nothing that comes to mind right now, he replied. Phox had never been terribly interested in plants, healing, or that sort of thing. He had just enough practical knowledge to get by, but he'd always been far more interested in the intangible sky above, tracking the herds, and hunting small game.
player preferences
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
It is fine, Arsenio assured him.

Take your time to settle. Make this place feel like home, for you.

The Arche could only assume that Towhee would appreciate having more of her family around. Epoch was large enough to house the ones who wanted to stay. Phox, though disabled by the hardships that had found him, would make a fitting teacher. Even the redstone man thought of joining in on a lesson, when he decided to offer them.

How did you lose your leg?

The question was asked without fear of a sensitive subject. The glacial blue of Arsenio’s eyes remained fixed on Phox.
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,591 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
There he went, flinching again. It was going to take time until he could settle his nerves around the issue.

I, uh, don't exactly know. It's all a bit of a blur. Phox only knew that he was lucky to be alive. He could see flashes of memory, but they were few and far between. Nothing he could hold onto for more than second or two at best.

Phox wondered if folks ever asked Towhee when she lost her hearing. Although, as far as he knew, she'd never had it to begin with.
player preferences
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
It was a difficult subject, either way. Arsenio wondered if it was easier not to know. He could never imagine the loss of a limb. To see that Phox was able to hold himself up and go about his life was impressive. It spoke to his character, the Arche thought.

That is fine. Some memories do not need to be kept, he waved the subject away before circling back to it, still curious.

You do not suffer from it? Pains? I have known soldiers who have lost their legs. Some of them could feel it, still. The man’s blue eyes were piercing upon Phox. He felt morbid, wishing that he hadn’t worded his query in such a way. The man across from him likely felt pressured. I ask only so that Meadow might assist in treatments, he assured the other man with a toothy grin.
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,591 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
Arsenio seemed at least a little bit content with Phox's answer, though the Redhawk felt another wave of unease when he was asked about pain. Although, when he explained why he was asking, Phox relaxed. It made sense that Meadow would want to know if she could help in any way. Besides, it wouldn't hurt to strike up a friendship with her—would it?

It does sometimes feel that way, but it's more disorienting than painful, thank goodness. Phox paused, wondering how odd it would be to ask about her. If it's not too weird to ask: are Meadow and Reyson an item? There was only so much talking he could do about his missing leg, after all, and he'd much rather keep his mind off of it.
player preferences
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Phox asked a curious question about the healer and the soldier. Arsenio’s features scrunched thoughtfully.

I believe they are close. He has left Mereo to be with her here, the Arche answered. They had not announced their intention to be married. He had not heard from Meadow if she wished to carry children this season. It seemed as though they were in the early stages of love – uncommitted and learning of each other. The redstone man wondered if Phox had an interest in the healer, as well. She was lovely. He could not blame them for their beating hearts.

I do not believe they have married each other. Perhaps an early romance, Arsenio offered with a shrug of his broad shoulders. Have you an interest? There was a smile on his snout and a gleam of curiosity in his glacial eyes.
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,591 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
Moving packs was not what Phox would consider "early romance," but kids were pretty outrageous these days. He had certainly never done anything of the sort for a mere love interest, and he couldn't imagine doing that now, especially with his close connection with Towhee. Not to mention the only three legs thing being a handicap.

Eh, I'm not trying to step on toes, if that's what you mean. He was reminded of when he had first met Niamh and she had been with Colt. Phox didn't wish death upon Reyson, but things did happen from time to time. Plenty of other fish in the sea that don't have sharks ready to bite, he added with a wink.
player preferences
Raventhorpe
NPC
676 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Arsenio chuckled at the other man’s remark. Phox didn’t strike him as the type to tread on other’s toes. Maybe it had only been his curiosity that had sparked the question. The Arche did not know much about the soldier man. He believed Reyson was hurting from a difficult past. It made him wary to think of their sweet healer growing close to a man like that.

You are a fine man. I do not believe it will be hard, when you find the one you want, Arsenio assured him. His head nodded in confident confirmation. The Arche could see nothing wrong with the Redhawk family. They were close-knit and supportive. It would not be difficult to find a woman who would see the great benefits of that. If Phox was the kind of man he made himself out to be, Arsenio felt he would find a mate when he was ready.

I’ll leave you to your peace. Perhaps we can hunt later?

The Arche moved to go.
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,591 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
He wasn't sure how great of a hunting partner he could be, but Phox nodded nonetheless. Sure, he replied. It was nice to get to know his new leader, if only a little bit at a time. Phox had a feeling they'd be running into one another plenty if they were living on the same land and all.

Just gimme a holler. Phox watched as Arsenio made his way elsewhere, and then the Redhawk decided on an impromptu nap.
player preferences