Sleepy Fox Hollow gelassen
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
All Welcome 
mahler returned to the elk corpse by the waterway, cracking bones for rich marrow, chewing it down even to leather. small game had sustained the small pack, but they had grown in strength. and if wylla was to bear a new generation, she would need fresh meat and fat.
he contented himself for a moment to gnaw an antler for the sheer pleasure of it, growling somewhat.
[Image: 2711649b07fc604164cb120b1b417fa3cf47bccc_00.gif]
139 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Young Emmerich had just returned from an extensive patrol at their borders. He could smell that there were newer wolves among them. As he adjusted his path and trotted inward, the guardian wondered if he might see an unfamiliar coat of fur in the hollow.

The sound of gnawing drew him. Emmerich emerged upon his father, chewing on a thick antler. The grunts and growls that rose into the air were a sign that the gargoyle was enjoying himself. As the white-hooded boy approached, his tail wavered.

Hallo, papa, Emmerich greeted.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
"hallo, emmerich." his teeth gleamed in a grin. "look vhat the ravens showed me." enough meat to last several weeks, and far enough inside paleo to protect from outsiders.
he looked solemnly at the boy.
"but soon, soon ve must go outside for a proper hunt." his nostrils flared with the pleasure of it. "do you think you are up for it? siku too?"
139 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The boy’s father spoke of a real hunt. Emmerich’s sunyellow gaze was intense on the gargoyle’s face.

I am prepared for anything, papa.

To hear that Siku would be invited was pleasing. The white-hooded boy wagged his tail. It was good to know that his parents had accepted the pale runaway into their happy home. The hollow was good and warm and peaceful. Emmerich thought that it was perfect for the type of wolf that Siku was. The guardian had no idea what it took to heal someone, but he imagined that Paleo was a good place to start.

Siku will be ready, too! You know he has a nose for plants, papa? You could share some of your knowledge with him.

Emmerich thought that Mahler would bring out a light in his friend.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
mahler chuckled. "ja, in der tat. er interessiert sich für grüne dinge." and it was true and so.
"it is good you think highly of him. vhen you validate those who are your brothers and sisters, it helps them to feel stronger inside themselves."
his eyes shone with affection.
139 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Emmerich nodded his head, as if understanding his father’s sentiments.

The boy was quiet for a moment, feeling the warmth of the gargoyle’s eyes on him. He thought of Anselm having left. He thought of Isa, gone now. The boy looked to his father with a serious downturn of his mouth. Sunyellow eyes pierced Mahler inquisitively.

Is that vhy Isa left, papa?

Because Emmerich had not validated her interests or her feelings. He had only seen her as competition and he had been persistent with his taunting. Was this the reason that Siku remained and Isa had left?
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
mahler was caught off-guard. he swung his great head slowly. "isa vas — i think she vas traveling. lost in rain."
he believed she lived.
it still hurt to feel so used to the departure of his children.
"but it is good to still take the lesson, my son. vhen ve know how speak better to those around us, ve do better in life." mahler smiled. "you are very perceptive, emmerich."
139 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Emmerich nodded, a soft bobbing of his head. The compliment was nice. The boy was pleased that Mahler had offered it to him.

His mind was still on Isa. The yellow of his eyes shifted to the trees. She had always been smart, though he never would have let her know he believed it. It didn’t seem right that she had gotten diverted by a rainstorm. It didn’t seem right that she would not disappear intentionally before she would allow herself to be swept away and lost in the rain. Emmerich didn’t know, of course. He had spent many hours thinking about it, regardless.

Anselm found his way back.

This meant Isa would, too.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
"he did."
and mahler heard the message in his young son's words. he heard the strength of them and found in emmerich's tone a good truth.
isa would come back. "how far have you gone yet, emmerich?" mahler asked gruffly, as much for curiosity as his own peace of mind.
139 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Not far.

Emmerich wondered if this would be disappointing to his father. Mahler had expressed his thoughts on journeying outside of Paleo and discovering the land beyond. He had even taken the white-hooded son on small scouting trips, searching for things that they needed in the hollow. These were fine. They had not sparked a desire to explore in the young man.

My place is here, papa. Protecting Paleo.

It was his home. Emmerich did not plan to leave.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
mahler smiled. "you are a good son and a good guardian, emmerich. but in order to protect paleo to the best of your abilities, you must meet another enemies. you must know a vide range of things that might come to paleo."
his amethyst eyes were thoughtful. would his son understand?
139 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The boy listened and held his tongue for some time after Mahler had finished speaking.

Emmerich wasn’t sure that he liked how he had interpreted those words. He must meet new enemies. He must know a wide range of things that could breach their home. It didn’t settle well in his belly. There was something special about keeping close to the comforts of his home. There was something rewarding in knowing that he was never far from anything that might happen in Paleo.

Vhat do you mean? the young wolf asked his father. His hawk yellow eyes were sharp with wonder.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
"i mean that a guardian must know a thousand things if he is to protect his home from vone," mahler said, more cryptically than he meant. "it means you vill not know alvays how to protect paleo if you only stay here."
reaching out, a brush to the shoulder of his strong and growing son, his pride.
139 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Emmerich mulled over his father’s words with a creased expression. His eyes were fixed on the earth, burning hot with intensity.

Mahler’s teachings were always sound. However, the young wolf couldn’t help but feel conflicted over this instruction – that he must leave to learn so that he might return to offer better protection. Emmerich thought of the wolves in the canyon and wondered if that was the sort of place his father expected him to learn. Siku had run from Mereo.

But if I leave, then I know that I cannot protect Paleo. Because I vill not be here.

Hawk yellow eyes fixed on the gargoyle.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
mahler smiled gently. "vhen i vas young, i vent everyvhere. i traveled to the sea. i traveled to the taiga. i saw many mountains. and vhen i was ready to settle, i knew how to guard any sort of place."
the calm stoneflower eyes touched that of emmerich's own.
mahler would explain as many times as he was able.
139 Posts
Ooc — Teo
It seemed grand, traveling the earth and learning from the different lands his paws touched. Emmerich thought that he might enjoy a life of that sort. Then he thought of his father and his mother. He thought of Anselm and Siku, his brothers. The young guardian thought of Isa and how she had disappeared, likely to chase dreams of her own.

I- the boy’s features were knit with frustration, with uncertainty.

I do not know if I vant that, papa. To leave you, or mama. Or the others. I just vant to protect Paleo.

For now, anyway.
2,664 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Guardian
Midwife
Sitter
emmerich spoke with a passion in finality. mahler saw both himself and wylla in that moment, and knew he would not suggest again that his son venture out into the world.
not until he was ready.
"dann bleib hier bei mir, mein sohn," the chieftain grunted, gathering emmerich against the barrel of his chest.