Alpha*
3,113 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
Private 
@Bahiti tag for vaire plz plz lmk if u want me to tag her another way! <3

in the growing narrow shadows of early evening, kukutux called her doe-daughter aside to the lake. in companionable silence they walked.

"i have four names for your ears. the first is aatrox. he is a man of more years than you. he called himself a raven-talker. but when i asked after the raven and the deer, he could not tell me."

"there is rhaegal. he is a man of the long salt, from the place of strong women far along the coast. sapphique. he does wish a family. and i saw good things in him, even if he was careful."

"tybault, also. his questions ring true and sharp, like a throwing-stick. but he searches for his sister. i think that is the true want in his heart."

"and last, the man chakliux. he is of our people, from farther away. a seal hunter. i am not sure he seeks a wife yet. perhaps he waits to meet the women of moonglow."

"all of these men are handsome and strong, with clear eyes and healthy pelts." kukutux smiled. "tell me any. or tell me all. i have not said your name. and i said only to rhaegal that i seek a husband for a daughter." the secrecy of this amused her. "i have made an idea: to call all these men to the place of fireflies, to bring your sister sialuk, who has come back, and nasamik, who has no husband, to make a time of dancing. and challenge. and then you look at these men and you will let your heart choose if you want a further meeting with one. else i will bring them to you all, or one by one."
Moonglow
Beta*
286 Posts
Ooc — Box
Completely fine to tag me that way! Bahiti is the easier one to reach than Vairë

The doe cavorted to her mother’s side with easy strides. She was hale, spirited, bouncing with every step like the deer who had marked her.

They had laughed when they had done it. She accepted it into her soul. Vairë was of the doe just as the doe was of her. 

Her ears took in the names, and she rolled them between her tongue and her upper mouth, testing them with every one given to her. Seeing if any spoke to her as husband immediately, if the spirits were to be good to her in this decision.

All of them interested her in many ways. The man who spoke of ravens primarily, but perhaps that was because she’d always enjoyed the company of the birds. If he spoke to ravens, perhaps he’d know of a little blonde crow with scars on his body. But the others were of greatest interest, the man of the long salt and strong women, the dedicated one who searched his sister out, to the man who came to their village.

Her mouth pursed as she thought, keeping step with Kukutux.

I would like to meet them, all of them. And I feel meeting all of them at once would be best. The time to become anaa draws closer, and I wish..I wish to become one this year. The doe thought of children sometimes, little fawn-children as she’d once been. Her eyes turned to her surroundings, then back to her mother.

The seashore man. If I was to marry him, would I go with him to the shore? She didn’t know how to feel about that, because on one hand she enjoyed the sea. But on the other? She had never been the biggest fan of swimming. Or fish, now that she thought about it.

Moonglow
Alpha*
3,113 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
<3

kukutux watched as the deer-child grew thoughtful and quiet. she knew that the younger was contemplative, and knew the answer would be as assured as vairë had become.

the deer-spirit spoke of children. kuktutux was flush with pleasure. "so you shall be."

it was the seasalt man she chose. the duck gave her an affectionate look. "that is for the two of you to decide. remember what you have asked him to bring you. use the time while a man is away to decide." she would have preferred the man live among them, but trusted that vairë would insist he walk among the village and know them all, no matter what was decided.
[Image: pSj9vo4.png]
Moonglow
Beta*
286 Posts
Ooc — Box
Her mother was very wise, and Vairë felt very small in that moment, like the little scrap of a thing she’d once been. The doe had come a long way from being fawn. And, in the absence of Lotë, though she wished her mother well, Kukutux had always been there. The doe turned her riverstone eyes to the white pelted woman, then she turned to butt her forehead against her shoulder, ears swinging back slightly to allow the motion.

Thank you. would come her gentle murmur, before she pulled her head back, eyes glinting suspiciously like tears.

I only hope that my marriage.. She swallowed around a lump in her throat.

I hope it looks the same to my children as yours did to me.

Moonglow
Alpha*
3,113 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
kukutux drew her breath softly. "you will choose a good man who brings you such love and respect as sun man does me," she assured, and put an arm around the soft-smooth shoulders.

"do you have fear of this, vairë? in anything. tell me. i will speak words to your mind and heart."
Moonglow
Beta*
286 Posts
Ooc — Box
Vairë knew not her own fear, she was quiet in that moment. Her mother wrapped her in the soft fragrance of her pelt and the limber arms of her body and she shuddered a breath.

I know my mother had troubles. I never asked after them. But it doesn’t change what happened. She left. And Vairë had wanted to follow, but she did not.

I did not get to meet my little brother. I do not know his face. She sucked in a little breath.

It is many things I worry of. What if my husband sees fit to leave? Like Shikoba’s had vanished from the spine, though he had come back home.

What if..what if I vanish from the lives of my children? The doe missed her mother greatly, but she did not want to become her.

Moonglow
Alpha*
3,113 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Missionary
Master Seer
Master Medic
"then this village will raise them to remember your face," kukutux said softly. "but i do not believe you will do this."

she hesitated to speak of adrastus and the curse he had left behind.

"we cannot see into the future. so do not spend your good years in worry over what cannot be seen over the horizon, daughter."

she sought her doe-girl's eyes with a gentle look. "you will be a good mother. a good woman. a a good wife. i know this."