Pledged
Bearclaw
772 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
All Welcome 
anybody wanna spree out a border patrol?

When they finally saw the rise in the distance, Lilia had let out a happy whoop. Their travel had taken so long, and they'd left only a few wolves behind- just enough to handle the borders, as long as no other bands came to claim them. She roved into the forest, focusing her scents on the border markings which remained, but smelled now of only a handful of wolves. Mostly, or Relic, Ashlar and Reki. There was another scent mixed in amongst them, one that smelled of Sapphique. Reki's mother, likely, but to see that she'd scented the borders troubled her lightly. She growled softly. 

What she didn't know, was the deal that had been struck between Avicus and Chacal- and that Chacal had offered to continue marking the borders for them in their absence, so that their claim would be stronger. 

Everywhere the siren from Sapphique had left behind a border marking, Lilia was quick to dash it away with her claws, and add her own marking. It would take some time and effort to get the borders back in order again.
we don’t pick the ballroom,
we just dance
44 Posts
Ooc — Van
how bout a potential newbie instead??

Each night for the last three days, Lycabas followed the telltale signs of a pack on the move.

At first it was out of sheer curiosity, though he fell far behind as he lost them at the rivercross along the coast. It took him a while to figure out a way across without swimming, but as he continued eastward, it was fairly easy to pick up their tracks again.

Now, he followed them out of utility. He crossed plain and field, forest and ridges, in his pursuit of them; the only thing keeping him going were the leftovers the travelers had to abandon as they went. In those three days, he didn’t have to hunt for himself. Only for the wolves preceding him by many miles. It was fortuitous in more ways than one, as he did not need to travel exclusively at night, given the overcast season.

Once at the rise, Lycabas immediately retreated from the pack’s borderscent. He had learned the hard way never to cross such a boundary. A hidden scar upon his shoulder sang its ghostly ache, reminding him. He retraced his own path, until he was half a mile away, then he howled, low and questioning, requesting to come nearer.
Himself · Teacher
Redtail Rise
Caru*
307 Posts
Ooc — ???
New Snow was recovering mostly these days, but she did what she could. At the very least she could mark the borders and reestablish their claim. And so New Snow hobbled after Wolverine, slower by plenty, taking her time to mark the borders diligently while not aggravating the injury. She was healing well, but the wound was fresh enough that she relied more on her uninjured side. Her limp was lessening, but the fact of the matter was there was still a limp. If she did too much too soon the wound on her shoulder would reopen. That, too, was healing.

Her face still looked pretty gnarly, but New Snow hadn't the slightest idea. She was not one for looking at her own reflection. The pain she experienced when eating was far from enjoyable, but something she was learning to live with. New Snow pawed at the earth to release her scent glands into it, and chuffed to Wolverine.

It was then a howl sounded. New Snow understood the call, and knew what next to do. But Wolverine was a youth soon to be an adult, and she wanted to be sure the girl did as well. So with another low chuffing noise, New Snow encouraged the girl.

Oops, shadow posted! Edited
Pledged
Bearclaw
772 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
:D <3

Lilia's mood soured the more she found the sea-woman's scent along the borders. Since when did she think she could do that? She had questions for Avicus, and would seek her out for answers, but in the meantime, she was going to empty every single ounce of piss she had covering up the siren's tracks. 

Sure, Chacal was alright. She was pretty much...Amazing. But a bit of a dork, always singing like that. She got a pass in Lilia's books, then, but not anymore. This wasn't her home, and they didn't need her charity, if that's what her markings had been intended to be. 

Her mood lightened a bit when she saw New Snow. The wounds of the others she had come to memorize, and even find endearing. They'd weathered battle together. The marks on New Snow's face might never go away. Her ear might always have that notch in it- but those were badges, the way Lilia saw it. And if they all wore them, it was as though they were in uniform. 

She chuffed to her in greeting, waving her tail low from side to side. She intended to invite her along, and would willingly go at a slower pace so that she wouldn't be aggravating her shoulder injury, when a howl sounded. A summons, from the plains. Lilia looked to New Snow. She'd wondered if any of the wolves from the Strath might come knocking, looking for more bloodshed. She looked to her packmate, wondering if she was even interested in responding to the call with her, with her injuries the way they were. As it turned out, she also intended to respond. She liked the woman even more. 

They moved beyond the borders, out into the plains. She didn't like that they were being drawn out into the open- but this close to their borders, she still felt assured they had strength at their heels. The wolf she spotted seemed to be alone. Smelled as if he'd been alone as well, only the faint hint of deer lingered about him. She squinted, and lifted her chin when they approached. She kept herself near to New Snow's injured shoulder. 

She set a firm gaze upon him, and bristled. "Who-a you, an' why're you here?"
we just dance
44 Posts
Ooc — Van
Though given no audible response, it was not long before Lycabas could see a pair of wolves traveling slowly in his direction; one of shadow, one of light. He sat erect, frayed ears forward and grubby tail wagging against the ground as he observed them, their features becoming clearer with every step closer.

The darker one moved with a more aggressive tone to her walk – as if restrained by an invisible leash. She was tethered to the limping pace of the paler wolf, whose fresh scars were notable against her pallid features, even at a distance. They both looked a little worse for wear, and when they were close enough to scent, he felt his insides clench.

Warriors. Better not upset them.

I’m Lycabas. He slid to his belly as the wood-charred girl with the golden collar spoke; he tried to make himself look smaller, as impossible as they sounded, and he inched forward imploringly to the both of them. If they approached peacefully, he would roll over for them. But if they were not pleased with his display, he would withdraw with a quickness.

This pack had unwittingly fed him for days. They were good hunters, and the boy wasn’t going to let the gravy train pass him without trying to flag it down.

Best get right to it. I wanna be one of you.
Himself · Teacher
Redtail Rise
Caru*
307 Posts
Ooc — ???
New Snow moved along with Wolverine. She was appreciative of the pace which the girl kept, and this shone through her eyes that were soft upon the girl. New Snow bore love for all of the packs young, though she felt Wolverine carried great promise. Even despite not being born to this place, Wolverine was as much a daughter to the Rise as the other girls born to it. Particularly in New Snows heart, though it was far softer than the rest.

They approached the wolf nearly as large as Mountain Boulder. He made himself smaller, which pleased New Snow. Quiet sniffs revealed that he did not wear the scents of their enemy... but... the path he had traveled was similar to their own. The same woodsy scent; some salt; ...New Snow wondered at that, but knew that sometimes young men did follow packs—not for any malevolent reason.

New Snow was as a mother then. She stood a little taller as she looked down her nose at the young wolf. The season of Spring would soon be upon them. New Snow could feel this. Her gaze assessed. Did he seek to court her Wolverine? New Snow peered to Wolverine then, nostrils flaring. She would lead the exchange, and New Snow would watch the other... very closely.
Pledged
Bearclaw
772 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
The man who came was large...But the closer they got, the more she recognized youth in his features. In spite of his size, there was something about his face, and the texture of his messy fur that made Lilia think that they must be somewhere around the same age. Her opinion isn't changed; they'd been pursing one just as young as her only days ago. One her age had killed her packmate. This one would not be given the benefit of the doubt just because he was young. She was young too- and would not be underestimated. 

She watched him with critical eyes as he slunk forward, and she unsheathed her teeth with a hiss of her breath to warn him. One could just as easily take a strike at a wolf's throat, if they approached from a crouch. But it became clear he intended no such thing- and instead, begged to join them. The display was off-putting, even though it did please her to see someone grovel at her feet. She relaxed her lips. 

She tilted her head back- flaunting her comfort now- and cackled for a moment, a wild and whooping sound, before she snapped her chin to her chest, and bared her teeth in a savage grin. "You wanna be one of uth?" She mocked, and snorted. "You an' everyone elthe," She drawled. "Why should we want you?" She demanded, arrogantly. He looked strong...And he didn't even need to clean himself up to look attractive- though Lilia hoped he would. Scruffy wasn't exactly to her taste.
we just dance
44 Posts
Ooc — Van
There was little except silence from the white wolf at the show of his willing subservience, but the gold-naped youth filled the emptiness around them with her derision.

Uh-oh. I did something wrong. They don’t want me to submit?

Lycabas rolled back onto his stomach and pushed himself up into a sit. What should I do? He glanced between them, keeping his eyes low, watching their paws for any sudden moves toward him. Maybe if I tell her she’s pretty, she’ll like me… No, that’s stupid. I hate this. What’s the right thing to say? This is such a drag.

Well, I can fight. I’ve only been in one fight, and it was a draw, but who’s counting? Maybe you want a guard? I can be a good guard. I can guard all night. Though largely without any emotion or expression on his face, because he did seemed to be thinking carefully about what to say, he did remember to smile a little. That’s it. Smile and nod, just like Teacher said.

I’m learnin’ how to be a good tracker, too. Suddenly the smile dropped. But my teacher got sick and he died, so I been kinda havin’ to figure things out alone… I can learn other things, though. My teacher said I learn fast.

He also called me lazy, but I don’t think that was a good thing.
Himself · Teacher
Redtail Rise
Caru*
307 Posts
Ooc — ???
Wolverine's caustic laughter rang in her ears. New Snow circled the other with a healthy curiosity, sniffing at them from a healthily maintained distance. Much was lost on her in this conversation. But there were words that she had heard Red Woman say often.

Whether that was a good or bad thing was for Red Woman to judge. But she waited to see what Wolverine would do, a soft encouraging look given as she lifted her head up. It did not seem this wolf intended to prey upon her, or them.
Pledged
Bearclaw
772 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
He declared himself capable of skills that were definitely valued in Redtail Rise, but whether or not he was as capable as he said he was had yet to be shown. New Snow assessed him from all angles, but Lilia kept her eyes on Lycabas. If New Snow had any concerns, she'd likely bring them to Lilia's attention. Her silence inferred that she had no qualms with the man's state. 

"Our leader will dethide if you're good enough," She said with a shrug. It mattered very little to Lilia what he was capable of unless he could meet Avicus' standards. She was relieved to hear he might not be altogether useless, but she wouldn't put any stock into his words until he had actions to prove them. 

"Why uth?" She asked, then, shifting gears for more interrogation. "How'd you find uth, anyway?"
we just dance
44 Posts
Ooc — Van
Did that do it?

Just seconds ago, she had bore down upon him with her scornful presence, demanding a reason to welcome him, and now she just shrugged – as if not interested at all – leaving the boy at a loss. Either way, it seemed neither of them had the power to accept him; the decision ultimately lay elsewhere.

I hope the leader is less scary…

The girl’s lisping tongue addressed him again, and Lycabas tossed a helpless gaze to the white wolf snuffling about in a circle around him, still silent in her assessment. I tracked you, he answered, returning his pale, softlit eyes back to the soot-and-gold wolf. Your pack was moving. I tried to catch up.
Himself · Teacher
899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
the caller is. . .young. another youth, come to the Rise. at least this boy seems rangy enough, with the promise of a hunter to come.

Lilia's already found him, and New Snow stands nearby, too. Avicus's ears cup forward to catch the back-and-forth, and she smirks at the girl's piercing queries. she couldn't ask for better.

with a chuff, the red woman descends, stops a few paces short of the trio, and gives the near-yearling a long, appraising stare.

who? she asks, though her question is directed to Lilia, muzzle pointed in the girl's direction.

she has, after all, already made some introductions, or so Avicus surmises.
but see, amid the mimic rout,
a crawling shape intrude —
a blood-red thing that writhes from out
the scenic solitude
Redtail Rise
Caru*
307 Posts
Ooc — ???
skippable during acceptance duration! NS will be observing!

When Red Woman comes upon the scene, New Snow dips her head and is swift to greet her through an approach and several whistling whines, accompanied by submissive laps at her chin.

And then she settles near Wolverine, ears swiveling as she watches, curious if this one would be welcomed into the fold.
Pledged
Bearclaw
772 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
He'd tracked them?

She'd been right.

She'd known it would only be a matter of time before someone from the Strath came to find them. Her paranoia grew. He'd admitted it so easily, though...That much was off-putting. Why would he admit that, if he'd been a part of their band?

Her hand was stayed only because her leader approached, and Avicus' decision about the stranger would be the ruling factor. Physically, she deferred to her leader as New Snow had, but she got the feeling perhaps her packmate was not quite as disturbed by what he'd just admitted. Lilia hated the notion of being tracked; it was like being stalked. Her opinion bled into the tone of her answer. Her voice was low but hot. 

"Lycabath." She answered sharply. "Tuwnth out he been twacking uth." Her distrust spoiled her words. She fumed, quietly, lightly crouched- ready to spring at him should Avicus so much as flinch.
we just dance
44 Posts
Ooc — Van
Something in the blue of the dark she-wolf’s eyes changed at his answer. Lycabas could not fathom the reason for such an accusatory look. Her stare pierced him with a spear’s likeness, and he could feel the white wolf looming. A more imaginative boy might have wished for the ground to swallow him up, shield him from this hell of scrutiny.

Was I too honest? Or was I not honest enough? Does she know I was taking their leftovers?

A flaming creature entered his peripheral then, and his head sunk beneath the gravity of her presence, as the other two greeted her with deference.

The gold-naped girl’s tone of his introduction was… concerning. But Lycabas didn’t have a full grasp on the range of emotions one creature could possess, so he took the words more at face value than anything. He nodded in agreement with the girl who looked ready to pounce on him and turned his nose towards the red wolf, certain to keep his eyes away from hers.

I did. Better not lie. I was… scavenning? That didn’t sound right. Uh, eating whatever your pack left behind? Maybe I should apologize. Teacher said it’s polite sometimes. I’m sorry. It’s hard to hunt by myself, and, and you are good hunters. I wanted to join you… so I can learn better. He was a big boy, but the bulk of him was at present just a bank of flab, fat and muscle lost in the last few weeks he’d spent on his own.

“Don’t forget your manners.” Teacher’s voice. Please.
Himself · Teacher
899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
'suspicious' didn't cover it. Avicus hears Lilia out, ears flattening slightly at the explanation, then turns to the newcomer—Lycabas—as he tells his side of the story.

well, crafty. a survivor, she supposes. and he is young—

but so had been the white witch's girl—

where you from? Avicus demands, her tone sharp and her gaze hard enough to cut glass. if he dares to lie. . .
the scenic solitude
Pledged
Bearclaw
772 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
Skipping New Snow as per request. Lilia can also be skippable unless she is spoken to!

Avicus seemed to pick up on the reason behind Lilia's sudden distrust. Still, he seemed innocent...A clever beggar who had perhaps simply happened upon their trail, not associated at all with the wolves from the Strath. She couldn't be sure- but it was also not her place to decide. Her leader would push him for more information, and Lilia would listen for any inconsistencies, and any sign that he might have been sent to scout them out, perhaps even infiltrate their pack.

She'd hold back, and linger, keeping him well watched with her icy blue gaze.
we just dance
44 Posts
Ooc — Van
Where am I from?

Oi Kryfoí? Lycabas answered, almost a question. It was one of the few names he remembered from his childhood, and some part of him hoped that the red queen had heard of it, but this hope was but a dying candlelight. No one he’d met had heard of it, and he hadn’t asked since meeting Teacher. I don’t know where it is. I could never find my way back.

I don’t think my family’s around anymore.
Himself · Teacher
899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
a lost one, just like Lilia. she glances toward the fierce girl, wondering if she's picked this up.

hunhh' for uhh', she demands, teeth bared. fine' prey. feedh our pack. 'hhen you can join.

it's unlike what she's done before, testing newcomers on the strength of their battle skills. but that's less important. now, they need to eat.

she glances over her wolves assembled, then jerks her muzzle to scatter them.

then she stares at Lycabas. go, she commands. come back when you have foodh.
the scenic solitude
we just dance
44 Posts
Ooc — Van
Lycabas’ head bowed lower when the red queen gave him a direct order, and his thoughts reeled as her tongue-bitten accent battered him.

Does everyone in this pack talk funny? Is that why the white one won’t speak? She must sound even worse.

He nodded, slowly rising to his full height while the other two were sent on their way with a flick of the nose. Yes, ma’am. Who should I call for... when I come back?
Himself · Teacher
899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
she notes his respectful speech, at least, and nods briefly in his direction. Avi, she says simply, flicking her eyes toward her other two wolves. i will come.

maybe it will take him a while, maybe not so much, but she will slip back up into the territory with a glance his way, expectant.

if he's serious about this, he'll be back with food.

if not, well. . .he'll have scavenged from them on the road, and so be it. but he will not be so lucky trying to steal scraps from their borders, should he fail.
the scenic solitude
we just dance
44 Posts
Ooc — Van
last from me! see u again soon, my loves <3

Avi, he repeated, doubling her name into a farewell as he dipped his head and turned to lope out onto the open plains. I can do this!

Lycabas felt buoyant as he went, bounding across the frozen terrain until all trace of wolves had gone and he was left with nothing but undisturbed wilderness surrounding him. The perfect hunting ground. But it was in this quiet that he hesitated, his scavenger brain trying to work out a plan of action, at last recognizing the weight of what had been asked of him...

Fuck.
Himself · Teacher
Redtail Rise
Caru*
307 Posts
Ooc — ???
last from me here!

New Snow saw the gesture, and moved away from Red Woman and toward Wolverine. With a gentle nip of invitation and a wave of her tail, New Snow went on to continue her patrol. She would leave her scent in many places before the day was done in reclamation of the Rise. New Snow's eyes would search the horizon for any other scavengers that might have followed all the while.
Pledged
Bearclaw
772 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Ranger
Guardian
Warrior
This was such a fun thread! Thanks to everyone who joined!!

Lilia's paranoia coils like a snake, preparing to strike- and ends up slithering away. She didn't know the name of the pack they'd attacked, or anything about them. But it didn't sound like he'd come from that place. If he had, he'd have been searching for vengeance, not tailing along behind them, feeding off their kills. She felt he owed them double, then- as he had been supplied with leftovers from several hunts- including two feeds of deer and a horse. 

No wonder he wanted to be with them; he'd been suckling off their teat this far. 

Avicus demanded that he return the favour, and prove to them that he could hunt as well. Lilia dispersed when she was cued to to do- keeping in mind that next time, she should ask a stranger for proof of their skills, if that was what Avicus' expectations were.