Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,941 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Joining 
Meerkat felt the deep cold in the marrow of her bones as they stepped into what would’ve been the mountain’s great shadow, had the sun not vanished beneath a dreary pall. Her body ached tremendously from their hasty, distraught journey from the ravine to the glen. They had scarcely stopped to rest and now she was too exhausted to feel anything but the sharp ache in what felt like a broken chassis.

Wearily, she leaned against @Njord, then looked to @Stingray. She wetted her lips and tasted the salt of a thousand tears that must have fallen while they trudged across the wilderness. She thought of Swordfish and felt a pain even deeper than her bones. Of the others, she thought not at all.

Drawing in a great breath, Meerkat called for @Sialuk. Her hind legs then gave out and she sank into less of a sit than a collapse, her worn-out frame hunched around what might have been the first subtle swell of a baby bump.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,197 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
Had the call been more cheerful, more vibrant, more exuberant, Sialuk would have rejoiced to hear her village sister's voice. Instead, concern rippled her brow, and her heart sank to hear it. Nevertheless, she flew down the mountain to meet Meerkat, Njord, and whom she could only assume was one of their children. The raindrop knew that their daughter traveled, but what of their other son? Had his injuries taken him to the dancing lights?

Sialuk found she could not ask, but instead rushed to Meerkat, pushing herself against her and waiting for whatever words she and Njord had to share.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
Sun Mote Copse
Laird*
935 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Historian
Advisor
Therapist
Meerkat led the small family hurriedly across the ridge, down through Ravensblood, and across the hot springs as they followed Whitefish River South. The great mountain, named Moonspear, watched them the whole way. Its massive snowcapped peak was like a church’s white steeple… the promise of the sanctuary at the end of their pilgrimage.

Njord was a stranger to these lands and relied on his wife’s deep wisdom to ferry them safely through the different territories. As loners, they were vulnerable to attack. It meant many sleepless nights, on top of their already strained hearts. Each step away from the ravine, and the last trace of Swordfish, added a stone to their burdens until they bore unimaginable weight. Unlike Meerkat, Njord also thought of Sapphique. They had meant to leave… but not like this. Not on these terms. He never wanted anyone to die.

The trio arrived at Moonspear’s borders in a state. Meerkat howled for Sialuk and immediately crumpled as if it was all finally too much to carry. Njord found it within himself to act strong. He put one leg across Meerkat and stood over her protectively. Njord looked to Stringray to huddle in close. He kissed Meerkat’s cheeks. Tasted their salt.

Sialuk did not leave them waiting long. She was here, just as his wife knew she would be. Swiftly, the healer came to Meerkat’s side. Njord moved to make room. What was there to say? Where to even begin? The man did not know if he could recount their harrowing tale and keep his composure.

“A bear attacked Sapphique,” Njord began. If Meerkat was as close to Sialuk as she said, then the pale traveler would understand the deadly implications of that event. She would know the destruction. The death.

“Our son, Swordfish, ran but we couldnae find 'im.” The words almost didn’t come out. Saying it made it feel so real. So final.

His blue eyes cascaded down to his pregnant wife. Over to his son, Stingray. Then, to Sialuk. “Please…” help.
Members of Sun Mote Copse are welcome to join all threads and power-play Njord (excepting injury or death) for cohesion and continuity, whether or not he's an active participant in a thread. Just tag me!

Sun Mote Copse
Comrade
126 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Things did not improve in the days following their flight from Sapphique.

If circumstances were better, Stingray would seize the opportunity to explore every nook and cranny of the places they stopped in along the way. His adventurer’s spirit would soar with radiant energy. He had an inkling of his calling but had been unwilling to pursue it to its fullest extent while living in Sapphique, but out here on the lam, he could enjoy it. If circumstances were better.

But they weren’t better, and so Stingray followed his parents away from the coast in a zombie-like stupor. When he wasn’t conversing with them or focused on a hunt, his thoughts were on his brother. Swordfish’s fathomless blue eyes took up permanent residence in the black space of his mind. The accusation in them cut Stingray to the bone.

Why did you leave me?

The sheer grandeur of Moonspear should have taken Stingray’s breath away. It was visible from the moment they turned inland from the coast. He ought to have been abuzz with the anticipation of exploring it, but turning his eyes up to the soaring peak only filled him with relief and a fresh wave of guilt. Swordfish should be here, goggling at the mountain alongside him. He stepped to his father’s side when silently beckoned, doing all in his power to remain on his tired feet.

Strangely, he never thought of his sister once during their flight. She had left on her own terms, which meant in Stingray’s mind that she was safe and always would be. Swordfish had not left on his own terms... Or, more accurately, Stingray refused to believe that he had.

A pretty, peppered white she-wolf arrived to console his weary mother. Njord explained in short terms what had transpired. Stingray could not bring himself to say anything; he bowed his head low and fought back his grief when Swordfish was named.

Why did you leave me?
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,941 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She couldn’t even raise her head or lift her eyes when she heard the telltale footfalls moving swiftly her way. Sialuk embraced her and Meerkat just sagged in her friend’s arms. She turned her snout to bury it in Sialuk’s ruff and let out a great, shuddering breath. She didn’t even have the energy to cry anymore.

While she tried to muster the strength to explain what they were doing here, Njord’s rich timbre filled the questioning silence. She felt nothing when he mentioned the bear attacking Sapphique. Hadn’t he tried to warn them? But her heart seized in her chest when he said Swordfish’s name out loud. She trembled as he told Sialuk why their younger son wasn’t here with them.

The final word caused Meerkat to sit up and pull gently away from Sialuk’s embrace. She reached for her husband and her son. If they allowed it, she would cling to them instead while she completed her husband’s thought for the sake of their family.

If you’ll have us, we’re here to stay with you on Moonspear, Meerkat croaked. Rebuild this village. And our lives.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,197 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
Sialuk felt all at once that the spear was here to shelter the small family. She knew what they felt now, losing one so close, and she embraced Meerkat even as Njord spoke of their tragedy and Stingray looked somberly on. Her village sister leaned on her ugi and innik, proposing that the come to live on the spear. Sialuk needed no time to confirm.

Aya, she said. It was not how she wished this visit had gone, but she was optimistic that Njord, Meerkat, and Stingray would find their spirits healing on the mountain.

She looked to the youngest of the trio. You are called Stingray? I am named Sialuk Ostrega. Come—the three of you—there is a place to rest. As they walked, Sialuk sent silent whispers to the wind and trees, hoping the ancestors might guide Meerkat's astray son toward the mountain.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
Sun Mote Copse
Laird*
935 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Historian
Advisor
Therapist
Meerkat pulled her men close and asked a great thing of Sialuk. Njord’s head bowed like a swan’s, as if in quiet communion. He was respectful, for Njord understood the gravity of this request.

Rebuild. The sentiment evoked a powerful, but sad, feeling in the man. If there was one thing Njord wasn’t good at, it was moving on. He had been moored in Sapphique despite it all - right up until the bitter end. Rebuilding implied that what they had was gone. Forever.

The Ostrega did not mince time. There was no hesitation in her decision. Njord offered a nod and a wan smile. “Thank ye, Sialuk,” the man said with real sincerity. There would be time to express his deep gratitude later… She spoke to Stingray next, and the father appreciated this gentle attention toward his son.

Njord stood and met eyes with Stingray and Meerkat. Then, he followed Sialuk across the rubicon -- into their new home where they would create a fresh path.
Members of Sun Mote Copse are welcome to join all threads and power-play Njord (excepting injury or death) for cohesion and continuity, whether or not he's an active participant in a thread. Just tag me!

Sun Mote Copse
Comrade
126 Posts
Ooc — Chelsie
Last for me here!

Stingray's breath came out of him in a trembling rush when Meerkat pulled him and Njord into an embrace. It was difficult to hear his brother's name, knowing Swordfish was out there all alone and possibly in danger, but they had to move forward. There would be time to search for Swordfish again when they were settled. Stingray would make certain of that.

He was addressed by name and lifted his head to look very briefly into the pale suns of Sialuk's eyes. Then he dropped his gaze deferentially and nodded. Nice to meet you, he murmured, wishing he could sound a little less glum about it. It really was nice to meet Sialuk, but Ray wished the circumstances were better.

With a look at his parents, Stingray followed the trio past the threshold of Moonspear, and despite everything, felt a tiny shiver of excitement for a new adventure here.
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,941 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Last from me as well!

With a single affirmation, they were fully welcomed into Sialuk’s village.

Njord thanked her but before Meerkat could muster up the energy to express her own gratitude, her friend began speaking to her son. Despite everything, there was a small flicker of warm happiness in her heart at their exchange. Unlike all the women of Sapphique, Sialuk would treat her son—her husband too, of course—like they had merit and value.

Sialuk ushered them into the territory, intent to show them someplace to rest. When Njord stood, she struggled onto all fours, leaning heavily against her husband as their new leader guided them home.