Neverwinter Forest When I called the mathematicians and I asked them to explain.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,971 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
All Welcome 
Everywhere she went in the vale, Towhee thought she saw Leona there, out of the corner of her eye. Every time she swiftly turned to look at her daughter, there was no one there. Of course there wasn’t. She had seen Leo’s broken body. She had helped bury her remains in Wraen’s Nest. But Towhee saw her everywhere she went and it was driving her to the brink of insanity.

I need to get out of here for a little bit, she told @Maxim, @Jack Snipe and @Phox. You’re welcome to come with me, if you like. Either way, I’ll be back soon.

As she crossed the borders of the vale headed west, she smelled the scents of several strangers lingering just within Epoch. Was one of them pregnant? Towhee felt a burst of angry dismay but ignored it and kept walking. She walked until she couldn’t anymore, collapsing between the quiet, snowy trees of Neverwinter Forest.

After resting, she rose to her feet and began looking around the woods, for lack of anything better to do. Towhee realized Leo’s ghost hadn’t followed her here and instead of feeling relief, she broke. She leaned against a pine, breathing shakily before it all boiled up and out of her in a wretched scream.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
He'd meant to ask Germanicus about scouting, and still, he had not approached. Was it nerves? Fear that he'd be turned down—or perhaps not meant for it at all? Or just a tie to his mother. . .?

But his mother had Germanicus now, and—

Killdeer's myriad thoughts upon scouting were shattered as he witnessed a wolf traversing down the slopes, and it could be no other. He recognized his grandmother's many-colored pelt immediately, and he followed, albeit at a distance.

Her steps carried her off the range, onto the flatlands, and into a forest. She was moving quickly, he thought, and wondered why.

It was only when she screamed that he revealed himself, stepping out of the shadows with an anguished and confused look of his own.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,971 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She expected tears to follow, yet they didn’t come. What came was a second scream, then a third. Towhee kept drawing in great breaths and letting them out in a continuous stream of agony and strife. Her throat quickly became raw and yet she kept going, exorcising this demon of tormented woe.

Her grandson stepped into view and her shrieking jeremiad came to an abrupt end. Agog, Towhee stared at him for several beats before she pushed away from the tree. She took a staggering step toward him, tears suddenly rushing to her eyes and pouring down her cheeks.

It’s Leo, she tried to say, though her voice came out as nothing more than a hoarse whisper.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
It's Leo.

He was rushing toward her even before racking his brain for the name, taking Towhee into his embrace. Leo, Leo. . .Leona. The name struck him like an arrow to his heart, and he sucked in his breath, feeling like it must be so—but how could it?—

I'm so sorry, Killer whispered, tears coming to his own eyes as he pressed his muzzle into his grandmother's ruff, hoping she'd cling tight.

But how?!
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,971 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Her limbs weren’t very cooperative after that long, wearisome trek here. Fortunately, Killdeer closed the distance between them. He folded her into an embrace and Towhee mustered the strength to balance on her haunches to wrap her forelegs around him and just hold on for dear life.

She didn’t catch his words, though she didn’t need to; just the way he held her conveyed the same message. Her eyes and nose continued dripping until she was a complete mess, though Towhee didn’t give a rat’s ass. She squeezed Killdeer, trying not to entertain the muscle memory of holding Leo’s broken body in these same arms.

After a long time, Towhee leaned back and maneuvered her forelegs to brace on Killdeer’s shoulders. She didn’t want to let go of him but she wanted them to be able to look into one another’s faces. She tried not to think of how horrible hers must look right now.

I’m so glad you’re here, she hiccuped. I couldn’t stand being in the vale but I don’t—I don’t want to be alone, Towhee groaned.

414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
You shouldn't be, he responded firmly, bearing her weight upon his young, burly shoulders. He held her tight, watching the spectrum of emotions flit upon her face. 

Had he ever seen Towhee so expressive? He didn't think so.

What happened, Gramma? Killdeer asked gently, then added, slower, You don't have to tell me now, if you don't want to.

He assumed the worst. And he didn't want gory details. But maybe it would help to talk about it. Holding things wordlessly to one's chest could do more damage than just getting them out—or so he figured.
128 Posts
Ooc — Teo
*Kicks down the door* hi... Jack is a momma's boy so he's coming with.

Towhee had told them that she would be gone for a short time, that she needed to get away. Jack had done everything he could to keep still, to stay in Epoch with his father, to help get them to a sense of normalcy. He couldn’t erase his sister’s crumpled figure from his head. Everywhere he went, he saw her small figure scrunched up in the snow, blood leaking from her broken shape.

So, Jack Snipe raced after his mom.

MOM! the boy shouted, nearly in tears. His legs pushed him quickly, trying to find her, fighting the fear that he might never see her again. What if she just left them? What if she was so broken by the loss of her daughter that she couldn’t return? Jack’s horror is what sped him along.

A familiar face was with her when the boy arrived.

Mom, he said breathlessly, pausing a few feet from where they were.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,971 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Y’all…

Lil’ bit of powerplay, so just let me know if I need to change anything!

He wanted to know what had happened. Towhee sucked in a great, shuddering breath. Before she could tell him about that horrific day, movement caught her eye. She wrenched her head to the side and beheld her youngest son, the sole survivor of his litter.

Jackie, Towhee breathed, dropping the nearer foreleg from Killdeer’s shoulder, c’mere. She held out her arm to him, choking up now as she added, I’m sorry, I didn’t want to leave you. I just had to get out of that place…

He probably understood exactly what she meant. Towhee made to place a shaky, crying kiss on her son’s head as she gathered him to her. Her leaking eyes flicked up to Killdeer in apology, promising him an explanation just as soon as she could manage one.

414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Beebees <3

Killdeer swiveled, suddenly, upon the entrance of Jack Snipe, who of course instantly wanted his mother. He shifted aside to let them have their moment, giving a nod to Towhee's unspoken request.

Hey, why don't we stay here for a while? he asked the boy, untangling himself and glancing around the forest. You both can tell me about Epoch and how you've been.

He didn't want to bury their grief, but he wanted to soothe it, a bit. And it was clear neither of them were going anywhere, so why not bed down in the forest?

Killer stood back, head cocked slightly to his right.
128 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Jack tucked himself beneath her arm, pressing his nose to the warmth of her fur. He didn’t know why he had worried that she would go. He didn’t think that he could imagine his life without his mom in it. The boy realized that he might have said the same thing about his sister…

When Killdeer suggested that they stay in the forest for a little while and tell him about Epoch, Jack brightened. He pulled his head out from beneath his mom’s arm and looked at the other boy with a wavering tail. The faded orange of his eyes remembered Killdeer. He just didn’t remember anything that they might have done.

Can we, mom? Just for a little bit? Jack Snipe pleaded at her with his wide eyes. We can even tell dad and Leo- his words faded. Anything that they might tell Leona would need to be spoken beneath the trees in Wraen’s Nest.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,971 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Killdeer’s lips moved, forming words. It took Towhee’s brain a little longer than normal to process what he’d said. By the time she managed to parse his meaning, Jack was already concurring with his older nephew’s suggestion. There was a brightness to his expression at first, then a shadow swooped in at the utterance of his sister’s name. It devastated her all over again.

We can stay here a while, she murmured, ready and willing to do anything to raise Jack’s spirits. But, yes, we should probably let your dad know. I don’t want him to be alone either, Towhee continued, breath hitching in her chest as she thought of Maxim back at the vale.

She couldn’t bear the thought and turned to her grandson to ask, Could you… do me a favor, Killer? Could you go to Epoch and call for Maxim, tell him where to find us? Towhee paused. And call for your grandpa too.

Towhee should probably worry about notifying Arsenio and Tamar but she couldn’t think past her own heartbroken family at the moment. Hopefully the leadership would overhear the howl, might even reward Killdeer’s visit with an audience.

Before he could even answer her, Towhee tightened her grip and said, And then come back here, if you can? I could really use your company right now, kiddo. She glanced at Jack. We could, she amended softly.

414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Consider it done, Killer replied. He didn't know Maxim all too well, but at least he knew him—and he knew the way back.

He gave Jack a friendly nudge, licking him over the crown of his head. Hang in there.

Then he grinned at Towhee calling him kiddo, and nuzzled her as well. I'll be back soon, he murmured. It didn't matter whether she understood him or not; she'd know his words by the warm rumble of his throat.

He was off shortly after, headed toward Epoch.

feel free to continue!
128 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Last for me but I'm going to make a new one for Towhee and... Killdeer? Maybe near Epoch. Or Towhee's will be IN Epoch and Killer's will be somewhere near. *babbling* <3

Jack leaned into the touch offered by Killdeer.

It was good to be around family, he thought. It sucked to think about his sister, though. It sucked to remember her broken, instead of the way she had been – smart and quick and stupidly strong. How had she let herself die? Jack couldn’t stop thinking about it. He wanted to go back in time and warn her. He wanted to tell her that she was a giant doodoo head and lure her into the trees with his taunting. The boy would have taken any outcome beyond what they had been given.

As Killdeer raced away, Jack pressed himself against Towhee. He closed his eyes and nuzzled into the dark of her fur.

I’m sorry, mom, he whispered, knowing she would not hear him. Tears pricked at his eyes again. The young wolf did not let them fall. He only wanted to be close to his mom.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,971 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Killdeer made haste to do his grandmother’s bidding, though not without taking a moment to comfort both Towhee and Jack. Her orange eyes followed her grandson as she turned and disappeared from the wood, feeling a fondness poignant to the point of pain.

Taking a breath, Towhee welcomed her son’s touch, pulling as he pressed. She gripped him tightly, trying not to dwell on the details of that day. She would hold him as long as he allowed. Nothing would bring Leona back or truly lessen this immense grief, yet clinging to one another might at least take the edge off the pain of their loss.