Northstar Vale Teaching the youngsters, and anyone else who wants to join
Raventhorpe
NPC
Ike Means Laughter
81 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
All Welcome 
Ike has been tasked to teach the youngest members of Epoch some things about hunting and fighting and such, but anyone is welcome to join! tagging the pups just for ref, don't feel pressured for them to show
@Antigone, @Jack Snipe, @Zosime, @Zulema, and @Phox since u said u wanted to join <3

After the tour of the territory and the welcome Arsenio had given Ike and Ethan, Ike parted from his dad, making sure he was in good hands first, of course, before setting off right away to his task at hand. He looked around Epoch's camp for the pups of the pack, and rounded some of them up, along with an older man who said he was interested in joining. "Right, so before we start the teaching, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Ike. I just joined the pack like, 2 days ago, with my dad Ethan, the wolf that looks just like me, but older and expecting pups." Ike said. "Let me get some of your names, and then we'll hop into some hunting and battle training." Ike said
++Signature++
Ike is great with pups and younger wolves, and wishes to be a caretaker towards them and even a teacher

Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,591 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
gonna assume this is pre-leona's death, as that makes the most sense. <3

Phox probably didn't need a lesson on hunting and fishing, but he figured it would be a good opportunity to let a younger wolf go through the motions of teaching. Wasn't that the best way to learn anything? Phox figured he would be doing him a favor.

He settled down near the back, his single leg tucked awkwardly beneath him, and his tail curled around the front. Phox pressed his ears forward and listened as Ike introduced himself and began his lecture.

I'm Phox, he offered, not at all nervous to be the first to speak up.
player preferences
-speaking+ptero- -ptero- speaking
Raventhorpe
Óskírdr
120 Posts
Ooc — bee
welcome! also assuming that as well, if not I will edit my response ^^

Zulema had sat herself in front of the stranger when they had been called. She tucked her paws neatly in front her, wondering if this would be anything like what her lesson with Towhee was. Zulema didn't question his appearance in Epoch, assuming the larger wolf had spoken with her father.

She listened intently when he had introduced himself, but her face contorted with thought as he spoke of his father expecting pups. Yet, her mouth had remained shut in the moment, attention quickly stolen at the mention battle training. Zulema's inner ramblings were quieted at another unfamiliar voice. She remained seated but her head bent to glance back at the dark wolf. There were so many names for the young girl to keep up with.

❝I'm Zulema,❞ She looked back to Ike. ❝Which is first?❞

There was a faint hope this would cure her boredom, tail stirring behind her.
-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-
Raventhorpe
NPC
Ike Means Laughter
81 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
Only 2 showed up. That was alright. Ike looked around, to see if other youngsters or any wolves of Epoch for that matter were around and just hesitant to join. Well, if they were, perhaps if he got started they'd see he was alright and want to join in. That would be fine.

"Well, since there's just two of you for right now, I think battle training would work all right, despite the age and size difference." Ike said, answering the young girl, Zulema,'s question. "That work for you two?" He asked, mostly aiming it at Phox as the man was older than him.
++Signature++
Ike is great with pups and younger wolves, and wishes to be a caretaker towards them and even a teacher

Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,591 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
One other appeared, and Phox went out on a limb to guess that she was quite a bit younger than himself. Zulema... was that the one that Phox was supposed to teach about star things? He did think her name had started with the same sound... and her age matched up; he supposed he'd have to ask her afterward.

I've got a huge handicap, Phox said, figuring that his missing leg was an obvious enough thing that he wouldn't have to point it out, so maybe we'll be evenly-matched after all.

So, teach, who gets to pack the first punch?
player preferences
Raventhorpe
Óskírdr
120 Posts
Ooc — bee
Zulema glanced behind her again, a small laugh following after.

❝Maybe?❞ He was bigger than her, but she tried to look past it.

The girl looked back to Ike, he said his name was, and waited for a response at Phox's question. While she refused to show the anxiety that lingered, she was rather nervous about how the situation might play out. Zulema hadn't learned much other than an introduction from Towhee, her only other experience being wrestling with her siblings when they were no bigger than a fox. Despite this, her head was high and her posture was straight, meeting their gazes with no struggle.
-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-
Raventhorpe
NPC
Ike Means Laughter
81 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
"I'm going to demonstrate a move, and then I'm going to demonstrate a defense for it. I'll start with letting Zulema do the defense, since she's probably better off right now just learning how to not get hurt, and let you, Phox, start with the attack, but you'll both switch after a few attempts." Ike said.

"So, the first move i'm going to show is a basic yet effective move. It can trick your opponents mind, if they don't know it. What you want to do is fake a bite towards your opponents chest, and then really go for their leg, trying to knock them to the ground." He demonstrated that in the air.

"The defense, is a bit tricky, especially when you're on the smaller side. What you want to do is try to catch your opponent before they actually go for your leg. So they're going to be fast, but as soon as you see them lunge in for the bite, you need to back up a tiny bit, rear up a little, and try to wrap your paws around their head and push it to the ground. It'll pin them in a way they didn't expect." Ike explained. He demonstrated the defense on the air as well.

"I want you two to try that now, Phox starting on the attack. Go slow for a time or two, but then move up to real speed. Try to get 5 or so reps in before we switch." He instructed.
++Signature++

Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,591 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
Zulema seemed less than sure, and Phox chuckled, trying to reassure her that he wouldn't go bowling her over just for the fun of it. Ike went into a lecture then, and while Phox tried to pay attention, he had to admit he spaced out until he heard his name near the end.

Phox did as expected, going slow at first. He mixed up which side he feinted on each time, going a little quicker and giving Zulema more than enough time to react. If she missed, he'd pull back and slow down again, making sure she got it the next time.

When the roles were reversed, he moved slowly, but he did find it to be good practice for getting more acquainted with his new leg... configuration. Phox realized he was pretty unsteady when he tried to move too quickly one way or the next, so he tried to keep most of his weight on his front feet, leaving his hind leg open to hop left or right if needed.
player preferences
Raventhorpe
Óskírdr
120 Posts
Ooc — bee
The ruddy girl listened intently, but there was so much to keep track of! Zulema may have gotten a little confused, but she understood the general point of what was to happen. She inhaled a sharp breath as Phox moved to start.

Her movement was neat and coordinated as she followed Ike's direct instructions. Zulema had to make a conscious effort not to tense up as she moved backwards from Phox and the move that Ike had displayed. When she had reached a distance that felt comfortable, Zulema lifted her front legs and pushed towards the mock opponent with an aim to wrap her limbs around his head. There was no doubt Phox was taking it easy Zulema had figured as she had landed, though perhaps she was wrong.

As the reps had sped up, she found it hard to keep up. She assumed it showed, but for the most part she was able to match Phox's pace. When they had switched it was rather difficult for her get used to the movement, even with the repetition. Though the girl met a struggle in this scenario, her confidence hadn't knocked. Zulema was fond of the heat that built in her muscles, how clear her head felt.
-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-
Raventhorpe
NPC
Ike Means Laughter
81 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
Ike nodded as both wolves picked up the moves quickly. "That was very well done, especially for you Zuelma, being a beginner, but nicely done to you too Phox." Ike said, making sure to compliment the noticeable effort the girl put in but not ignore the work the man had done as well.

"This next move is good for you, Phox. It's directed at teaching you how to fight without the use of one of your legs, in case you get hurt. In my experience, I've always used my tail for balance when i've injured a leg, sometimes even using it to brace that leg. So thats what i'm going to use as a base for this part. Basically I want you to pretend your paw or leg go hurt, Zuelma, and Phox, well, you don't really need to do anything, and use your tail to 'replace' it almost. It's harder to fight like that because your tail won't be balancing your body, and you can't really move, so the best thing to do in my opinion is use your mouth rather than legs, as lifting a front paw is tricky when you've lost a back one." Ike explained

"So what I want you to do is practice balancing without the use on one hind paw, and try to aim a bite at your opponent. I want you to use your head on your own for the defense/counter. Phox, you start with the 3-legged part." He instructed
++Signature++

Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,591 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
Phox did as Ike explained, though he didn't attempt to use his tail to catch his fall. He felt like it was likely to break if he did that! Instead, he used it to balance himself a little better, swaying it to the left when he went right, and to the right when his body went left. These were tricks he had already learned a little bit, but he had to admit there was something nice about being able to practice them intentionally.

Once he'd gone through a few test runs, he gave Zulema a nod to let her know he was coming in for an attempted grab of her leg. This wasn't the time for surprise attacks, and he wanted to give her a fair chance, anyway.
player preferences
Raventhorpe
Óskírdr
120 Posts
Ooc — bee
The encouragement coaxed her chin to tilt outwards, tail waving behind her again. It was when the next drill was explained that the smile dropped. She couldn't use her leg?! Zulema wasn't sure at all, but she listened intently. It was paying close attention or embarrassment, the girl clearly preferred one.

She watched Phox try the instructions out, seeing the words put into action spurred her to try it herself. Zulema hesitantly lifted her leg, attempting many different motions with the help of her tail. Then Phox was ready, the girl felt a faint influx of panic. She was still wobbly! Zulema recognized the intent to reach her leg, she moved back with no shortage of stumbles. Embarrasing...

While the move she put together in her head would've worked in theory, the execution of it, minus the leg did not work well. Zulema decided there was nothing to do other than get to his side, head on wasn't something she preferred. She pulled the leg Phox intended to get to further towards her, ever so slightly leaning to the side, waiting for him to move closer. Zulema finally moved, seeking out a grab to the back of his neck. It was an attempt to implement what they had previously learned. Without her back leg in order, she was simply to slow.

Surely those watching could see what the girl had attempted, but Phox had gotten to it first.

❝So close,❞ She panted, a breathy laugh following her words.
-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-
Raventhorpe
NPC
Ike Means Laughter
81 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
Ike watched, noting how Phox executed the technique, and how Zulema had done not much more than try. He knew Phox had the experience though that she lacked. "All this battle training was great, I want you both to practice the things I showed you, but I think its time we move on to hunting training. Unless, you're tired out and want to pick this up tomorrow." Ike said, noting Zulema's heavier breathing
++Signature++

Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,591 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
last one from me!

Though Zulema faltered, Phox thought she'd done a good job for her first try missing a leg. He certainly didn't feel one hundred percent missing a leg, and he doubted he ever would. He simply had a bit more practice with the technique.

At Ike's words, Phox glanced at Zulema, then shook his head. I think tomorrow would be better, he said, smiling. Besides, they would need time for the lesson to sink in.
player preferences