The Sunspire As long as you are funky at heart
Hearthwood
Dancing Queen
1,352 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Private 
She was lost.
This was a new experience for Reverie, who had spent her whole life ranging and knew a place by heart just by traversing it once. But she had never been to these mountains before, or any mountains at all, and only vaguely remembered @Phox's directions. She'd thought seeing him would be a good distraction while she worked out what to do about her brothers (while she avoided them, more like). Instead, getting lost was the distraction. It was a pretty good one.
Eventually she had climbed high enough to see the place Phox had indicated she should head for, but it was far. She couldn't even begin to see a path toward it from where she was. And the further she ascended, the more afraid she became. Afraid of falling, afraid of getting lost forever. So she stopped exactly where she was and loosed a howl for her friend, hoping he would find her. The path she'd followed up here wasn't difficult, so she didn't worry about the three-legged man on that account, but she did hope that he didn't have too much trouble getting from Epoch to wherever she'd ended up. He should know the mountains better than she did, she thought, so it would probably be fine.
Watching me is like watching a fire take your eyes from you
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,591 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
He hadn't particularly wanted to answer Reverie's call, but Phox was nothing if not polite, even in the worst circumstances. His search for a date felt so far out of touch it was laughable. In fact, all he really wanted to do right now was go check on Towhee and see how she was doing, but that would have to wait just a little bit longer. She had Maxim and Jack to keep her company, and he wouldn't be gone too long anyway.

The route was not particularly easy, but Phox made his way up the mountain until he spotted her. She was just as easy on the eyes today as she had been the first time they had met, despite the cloud that hung over Phox's heart.

Hey, he greeted.
player preferences
-speaking+ptero- -ptero- speaking
Hearthwood
Dancing Queen
1,352 Posts
Ooc — xynien
She waited, and after awhile, Phox appeared. Reverie lit up at the sight of him, all swaying tail and wiggling butt and excited nose pressed to his cheek if he allowed it. She didn't yet know him well enough to recognize the gloom that hung over him, at least not immediately.
Phox! Thank you for finding me here - I was so lost... After a few seconds, she noticed just how sad he looked. Her gaze turned gentle and worried. Oh - are you okay? Is now a bad time? Maybe she had waited too long, and now his circumstances were different. Or maybe he just regretted inviting her here? Reverie couldn't tell, but hopefully Phox would clarify.
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,591 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
To say it was a "bad time" was maybe the understatement of the year, and the corner of Phox's mouth turned downward, thinking of young Leona. He wasn't quite sure he wanted to pour his heart out to a near stranger. Not because it wouldn't be cathartic, but more because he didn't want to trauma-dump all over her. Perhaps there was a balance he could strike.

There was an unexpected death in the family, he said, I really can't stay too long, but I felt like I at least had to come find you. She had sounded a bit lost, after all. Phox shifted his weight from one front foot to the other.
player preferences
Hearthwood
Dancing Queen
1,352 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Oh, Reverie breathed, dismayed and concerned and guilty all at once. To think she had bothered him at a time like this! I'm so sorry. Do you - need anything? Or would it be better for me to leave? There wasn't much she could do; there wasn't much anyone could do, but the question was worth asking. Even if they barely knew each other, even if what Phox needed went beyond the faint connection between them. The point of a friendship, she thought, was to be there even when it wasn't an easy thing to do. Any relationship, really. Shying away at the start seemed like a cowardly thing to do, to her; a sign that there the friendship would fizzle, because there wasn't really any commitment there, or even an intention of commitment. So she had to offer, at least.
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,591 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
He hadn't really known what kind of reaction to expect from her. Sympathy, he supposed, but her offer to help was especially kind, and it didn't go unnoticed. Phox contemplated her question, trying to think of anything that might help. Not really for him, but for Towhee, Maxim, and Jack. They were the ones who were hurting the most right now, being the closest to Leona.

Actually, there is something you could do. Do you know where Mereo is—the red canyon? I have a daughter there: Fennec. Could you ask her to come visit Epoch? he asked. It would be good for Towhee, he thought, if they could see one another. And he knew it would do him a lot of good, too.

And I promise to show you Epoch if you come around. Maybe in a dozen days or so. It's just rough for everyone right now.
player preferences
Hearthwood
Dancing Queen
1,352 Posts
Ooc — xynien
He did have a request, and frankly, Reverie was thrilled. She was a little surprised with herself, if only because that meant that she really wanted to help. Often the urge would strike her only to fade away like a sunset at the prospect of actually following through. But no; Phox's request was reasonable, maybe even a little exciting. A daughter, though!
I can do that! She agreed readily, deciding not to point out that she knew nothing about Mereo or the mountains. It was fine. She probably wouldn't get lost again. A red canyon seemed pretty difficult to miss. And then I'll come back - in a couple weeks, maybe. To see how you're doing. The tour can wait as long as you need. Reverie offered what she hoped was a comforting smile with these words. Two weeks didn't seem like enough, not by any stretch, but she wouldn't tell him that. She would let him set the pace.
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,591 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
Reverie seemed surprisingly enthusiastic about the opportunity to help. And of course Phox was ever-so-grateful to have a messenger so he wouldn't have to do it himself. It wasn't that he didn't want to go back to Mereo, but it wasn't that he didn't not want to go back to Mereo, either. Or something like that. His feelings around that place felt more complicated than he had expected, as if going back would somehow cause him to relive the trauma of his missing leg.

Thank you so much, Reverie. For understanding and helping out an almost complete stranger. Think about a way that I can make it up to you, and I'll do my very best to deliver. Phox meant it. He didn't want their relationship (platonic or otherwise) to be one-sided.

I really do have to get back, though. My sister and her mate need me right now, not to mention my nephew, too. Phox had only just started to get to know Jack, and he felt like there was so much more to do.
player preferences
Hearthwood
Dancing Queen
1,352 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Fade here? <3
Phox's words caught her off-guard; she really hadn't expected anything in return, because she had expected things to be one-sided. Wasn't that always how it went when you offered to help? But no, Phox wanted to make it up to her, and Reverie wasn't at all sure what to do with that. She was almost relieved when he started to excuse himself. Almost.
Of course, She said quickly, ears flicking slightly in a small betrayal of her uncertainty. I hope - you're all able to grieve in peace, at least. And don't forget to take care of yourself, too. Her words were gentle, because she didn't want to presume too much. I'll see you in a couple weeks? If he didn't have anything else to add, Reverie would set off for Mereo — and promptly lose her way again.
Moontide
Trader
lord of the hunt
1,591 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Astronomer
Tracker
Thank you, Reverie. I'll see you soon. He didn't linger long, waving his tail in goodbye before turning back to the vale. He needed to make sure his sister and her family came out on the other side of this, no matter how hard it would be to do so. And he did think a visit from Fennec would do them some good.
player preferences