Wheeling Gull Isle They're coming undone
Loner
324 Posts
Ooc — Jess
All Welcome 
keeping some things vague <3 AW!

Suzu sat at the beach, gazing across the narrow straight that separated them from the mainland. She'd taken no interest in exploring the island, not when so many of their loved ones were still absent. She spent her time near where the landbridge was, though it was currently underwater as the tide was in. 

All that she knew was that there were many wolves in her family who had gone to fight the bear- and they had not turned up yet. As far as she knew, Sapphique had become three different parties of wolves. Those who had come to the Island for safety, those who had gone to fight the bear, and then the small family that had left. Njord, Meerkat, Stingray, Swordfish and Quennell. They'd gone from the Roja den, but had not gone with those fleeing to safety. She understood her mother's grudge toward them, now. She'd caught sight of Njord, fleeing like a child from the scene of the fight. 

But Swordfish and Quennell...She trusted them still, and it broke her heart to know that Swordfish had left, without even saying goodbye. Why did they have to get dragged along with the wolves who had done nothing to protect the pack? She did not understand, and she felt even more disdain toward Meerkat and Njord for taking her friends away from her.
Sapphique
Obsidian*
"mireille?? more like misandreille *cackles*"
thank u val, very cool!
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Ecologist
Historian
mireille felt as though death bit at her heels.
when she was not patrolling, the obsidian slept the slumber of an empty ghost. she woke. she ate. she returned to her watching and her wandering, all around the island though she saw nothing.
none of its beauty. none of its god.
her niece stared at the sea. mireille recalled how she had healed upon the blackwater islands, how she too had longed in the same stare for home.
but she feared there was no home. would that be worse than seeing sapphique forever changed?
mireille settled on the sand beside suzu and slipped a red arm around her small shoulders. "i am going to go back soon. i need you to stay here, wid aminthe an' heda." her voice tried to relax.
Loner
324 Posts
Ooc — Jess
She knew this day was coming. She pouted; she worried each and every day, when someone did not show up. She wanted to see them all coming running along the sandbridge toward the island- maybe even tell her that they might stay there, instead. She nodded sadly, and leaned against her aunt. 

"Mireille I just....I feel it will be bad news." She said, her voice trembling.
Sapphique
Obsidian*
thank u val, very cool!
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Ecologist
Historian
"oh, mon cher," mireille sighed shakily, pulling suzu against her. "it might be. but it might be good news too," she exhaled, clearing her throat. "eit'er way, we must be knowin' it."
either way, they must go back.
mireille had no platitudes. she sat in silence, watching the lap of the cold surf.
Loner
324 Posts
Ooc — Jess
She could not quiet the doubts in her head. She had seen the bear, after all. And while it hadn't charged at her or even bared its teeth at her, when the others showed up, it had become a fearsome thing. How a pack of wolves could have fought it off without any of them coming in harm's way was beyond her. The youngest of the crowd, Theo, had not been found as the others had left the packlands. What had become of him? 

Mireille was right. They needed to know. 

"Is it safe for you to go?" She asked. She grabbed her aunt, and hugged her tight. "Matant I do not want to lose you too."
Sapphique
Obsidian*
thank u val, very cool!
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Ecologist
Historian
mireille held tight to suzu in response. "oh, sweet girl. i t'ink it be at least safer den it was." she stooped, smoothed each of the satin cheeks. "but i mean to come back for you, suzu. i will be comin' back."
how could she not?
mireille knew she must hold to this faith no matter what she found upon those cliffs.
Loner
324 Posts
Ooc — Jess
She clung tightly to her aunt, the way a bird will cling to a wavering branch in a storm. She dreaded losing Mireille, who was a constant in her life, and a role model that she idolized. Her heart knew loss, now- and did not want to feel any more of it. 

”Ow long will you be gone?” She asked. She would count the days, and dread, should her aunt not return when she anticipated.
Sapphique
Obsidian*
thank u val, very cool!
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Ecologist
Historian
"at least tr'e days, baby-sweet," mireille breathed out. "i need to be careful when i go up. an' i need to prepare to stay, for whatever i fin'."
too young! suzu was too young to suffer like this.
Loner
324 Posts
Ooc — Jess
She felt her throat tighten. If Mireille could not predict the length of her absence, Suzu could not predict when she would return. Distraught, Suzu leaned closer, and felt her cheeks burn as warm tears flowed freely from her eyes. She pressed her face into Mireille’s fur, as if to stop the falling of her tears.

”I do not want you to go,” She said, her voice nasal. She tried to sniff, but her nose became congested; she felt her chest tighten. ”But I wanna know if Maman-“ She said, before her voice was lost to sobs. There were too many to name whose fate was unknown- and while she did not want to add Mireille to that list as well, she knew that someone would have to go and investigate the aftermath.
Sapphique
Obsidian*
thank u val, very cool!
833 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Ecologist
Historian
the love of many women was behind them both. mireille hugged suzu closer, closer. "yes. i need to go for maman. and for grandmaman. and for you, little one."
for them each. for them all.
she kissed the small ears with a sigh that held back her own tears.
Loner
324 Posts
Ooc — Jess
She would cling to Mireille as long as she would be allowed to- and even when her auntie pulled back, Suzu would likely draw her close again for one final squeeze. It seemed that time had become an enemy, now- for soon she would be left on the island, to simply await news with dread. 

She would see Mireille off, and then would hound the few Sapphique wolves who had come to the Island for refuge, clinging like a shadow to both them and to their gracious hosts until they were given the clear to leave.