Swiftcurrent Creek He’s a unicorn with a single horn, he has a cup of tea in the early morn
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
All Welcome 
Feeling rather bored with life in the canyon, Atreus decided to set out on a scouting mission today. He thought about calling his mentor, then decided he would rather go alone. He didn’t feel like company today, which was why he didn’t head back to Brecheliant to visit Amelia but instead decided to go in a new direction.

He climbed up to Arrow Lake, then followed the water down the mountainside until he found himself at the edge of a meadow. He paused, glancing northward. If memory served, Redtail Rise was that way. That left him two directions to choose from: east or south.

Before he could make up his mind, a northerly brought to him the scents of a pack. Huh, Atreus thought, already moving. Did the Imperator know there was another pack so close by? Were they allied with Mereo? His mind filled with questions as he approached the borders.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Swordfish had not done well to rest his wounded body, since the bear attack on the coast. His travels had worn him down to a thin shape. His face was gaunt and weary.

It was Atreus misfortune that the young seafarer would be patrolling the creek’s border at the exact time that he had appeared. The redtail didn’t look pleased. His head was low. He prowled toward where the stranger stood, smelling of another pack. Swordfish had gone to Riverclan’s borders and this one wasn’t of their ranks.

What d’ya want? the young man asked in a way he hoped would make Moss pleased.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
The wolf who appeared to greet him looked like he couldn’t be much older than Atreus. He was taller and lankier, almost cadaverous. The gashes on his flank immediately drew the young scout’s attention. He was no expert but those looked pretty fresh.

Drawing in a breath, Atreus answered, I’m here to learn about this pack. And then, after a ruminative pause, he added, I’m researching all the packs in this general area, looking for one that might be a good fit. Uhm, I just came from Mereo, actually. Do you know of it?
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The other boy didn’t seem to be a threatening presence on the creek. Akavir had mentioned a gang of troublesome wolves who had kicked up drama in their home. Swordfish was keen to keep those types of wolves in their place. He didn’t think Moss would look kindly on him slacking. She didn’t seem to trust him, from what he could see. Then again, the intense woman did not give her emotions or thoughts easily. She might have thought Swordfish was delightful.

Never heard of it, the redtail answered thoughtfully. Mereo had a drawing name. It had simple power behind it. Yer lookin’ to leave though, aye? What’s wrong wit it?

The lean wolf drew nearer to Atreus. He gazed at the dark earthy colors of the other boy’s coat.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
He said he’d never heard of it, which intrigued Atreus. He wondered again if Germanicus knew about this pack and whether someone else besides this haggard adolescent might know about the barracks in the canyon. He decided to take a gamble.

Oh, uhm, I don’t live there. I stayed there a couple of days to check the place out but it wasn’t for me, Atreus replied. Nothing’s wrong with it, it’s just a really hardcore lifestyle. They’re a military pack.

His heart was beating a little faster than normal, partly because of the thrill of lying and the fear of getting caught in said lie. But he’d been pondering this sort of thing a long time now.

I’m Scout, by the way. What’s your name? And the name of this pack?
177 Posts
Ooc —
Feel free to write a few rounds and skip her; she's pretty distant but the visibility's likely pretty open.

Shardik was active, but the guardian who had volunteered to take him on as an apprentice knew that his strength was being sapped. He exhibited signs of stress, and depression; his self-care flagged, and the confidence he'd had when he'd offered to hunt for them hadn't disappeared, but seemed to have driven him into an unending cycle of doing too much. 

She had no doubts he wanted to prove himself- but he'd prove nothing if he simply wasted away. So, she hunted for him, regularly, and had caught him a partridge. She followed along in his tracks, the bird still clutched in her mouth, when she noticed that his tracks led toward the border again. He was too much like her- but he didn't have the physical strength to be performing as he was. So she kept on, until she spotted him in the distance, speaking with another wolf. 

She prowled forth with the quiet strength of a mammoth, a giant that would cast a shadow over both of the young wolves when she reached them-- eventually.
271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The boy spoke further on Mereo, drawing Swordfish in closer with his words.

They were a military pack. The young seafarer believed this would be his next destination, then. After he had learned all he needed to from the wolves of the creek, he would see what the military pack of Mereo might show him. It seemed an impressive thing that this young stranger would want to leave. Wasn’t he protected there?

Scout was the young earthy stranger – stranger no more.

Shardik, he offered in return. This is Swiftcurrent Creek. An’… well, I’d like to tell ya more. M’fraid I don’t know much. I’m new. That didn’t make Swordfish sound very helpful. His features wrinkled with thought. It’s been simple, so far. Some of ‘em are real nice. There’s some that’s a bit stern.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
His name was Shardik and this was Swiftcurrent Creek. He said he was too new to provide much information otherwise. Atreus’s heart sank a little. Well, he sincerely doubted Shardik was a leader, so if he wanted to learn more and—if he felt daring—make a bid to join, then they probably ought to call for one eventually.

In the meantime, he said, That’s cool. Shardik’s a pretty bad-ass name, by the way. How did you get the scars?

Before Shardik could answer him, movement caught Atreus’s eye. He peered over the gaunt youth’s shoulder and saw a wolf so large his first thought was, What an absolute unit! She appeared to have something in her mouth, though Atreus couldn’t quite tell what it was from this distance.

Who’s that? he questioned Shardik, gesturing with his snout.
271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Oh? Thanks…

Swordfish didn’t want to tell the boy that it was the name of a monster. Scout’s next question was about the gashes in his ribs. The redtail glanced at his side and breathed out a plume of steamy air. He’d need to visit the Riverclan wolves again, he felt. There were supposedly strong healers in their hollow.

Got ‘em from a bear. Almost took my life. The first honest thing he’d said since arriving in the creek, probably. What kinda-

The question was cut off by Scout’s inquiry. Swordfish turned to see that Moss stood powerfully in the background. Her figure was broad and daring. She had a presence, that was certain. The young redtail hoped that he was handling this visitor appropriately.

That’s Moss. She’s one of them stern ones. I keep hopin’ she’ll teach me to fight, Swordfish said.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
Atreus’s jaw literally dropped. Shardik had survived a bear attack? If he wasn’t looking straight at the gashes with his own eyes, he would’ve scoffed at the tall tale. Instead, he gawked at his peer, wondering just how the hell he’d managed to survive a confrontation with a bear.

Shardik introduced his distant pack mate, explaining that she was one of the stern ones he’d mentioned. Well, that tracked with her intimidating appearance. Atreus regarded her with a wary respect, his gaze cutting back to Shardik at his remark about fighting.

Teach you to fight? Teach you to fight? But you fought a fuckin’ bear. And lived. I think you should be the one teaching, Atreus said earnestly. How did you do it?
271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The admiration made him uncomfortable.

How was he supposed to tell Scout that he and Quennell had been barreled over by the bear before fleeing from it, praying that it didn’t find them. Only for that same monster to show up on the edge of Sapphique.

They were all dead. All of them had to be dead.

Swordfish thought of Suzu and Etienne. He hoped that they had not suffered. If they must be dead, let it have been swift and easy. Thinking of the other members of Sapphique made his stomach churn. The dark bear eyes clouded his mind. Scout wanted to know more about what had happened and Swordfish only wanted to forget.

Me’n my brother were going scoutin’. We found a cave… thought we could rest fer a bit. Bear came outta the dark so fast. Took Qu- Took my brother’s tail. Swiped at me and threw me against some rocks. What fight? It had been a fast-paced terror. We just-

Swordfish steeled himself against the experience.

Ran.

A measly smile found his snout.

But it found our pack and- They’re all dead.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
If Shardik was reluctant to recount his altercation with the bear, Atreus didn’t pick up on it. He listened raptly as the creek’s Theta explained the situation, his mouth gaping again when Shardik said the bear had taken his brother’s tail. After that, they’d run.

Oh, Atreus blurted at Shardik’s concluding sentence, blinking at the wan smile, shit.

He couldn’t think of a single other thing to say to that. He blinked at Shardik again, then glanced over at Moss lurking in the background. Atreus thought she looked pretty lively, so he must mean a different pack. Well, he’d said he was new to this one.
271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Scout had been left with few words. Swordfish thought that he had gone too far. He’d said too much to their visitor. A part of him worried that he’d spoiled the chance at making a friend.

S’alright. It wasn’t.

Swordfish lifted his snout a bit, hoping that he might redirect the conversation to something more purposeful. He didn’t want Scout to feel like he was a total downer. He’d been sad since the bear but those tragic events had also sparked purpose in his young body. If he could learn to fight, he could kill that bear and bring peace to the cliffs.

What kinda place are ya lookin’ fer? Ya wanna learn anythin’ specific?
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
It definitely wasn’t alright. But Atreus didn’t have much choice but to take Shardik’s cue and move along in the conversation. He swallowed. Suddenly he didn’t know if he had the heart to try lying his way into this pack.

Oh, uhm… is Moss a leader? Maybe we should call her over, since you said you’re pretty new. He paused. To answer your question, though, I guess I’m not really much of a fighter, myself. I bet you can guess my specialty. So as long as this place isn’t an army and might be able to use someone like me, then…
271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
I can’t give 200 to Meerkat but… I’ll give it to Atreus. ;w; <3

Scout was looking for a place that might accept him as a non-fighter. Swordfish didn’t think that the creek would have any issues with that. Akavir had seemed level-headed in their short talk. Moss was also kind, even if she made him feel like she would bite his ears off if he misbehaved or wasted her time. Scout could do well there. It would have been nice to have someone around the same age.

@Moss, ya wanna come check out Scout? he called back to her. She wasn’t a leader, exactly. She had proven to have the respect of the dark-furred Akavir, though. This was enough for Swordfish, but he wanted to make sure that he was taking every approach. I’ll call the boss, too. He lifted his head and called out for @Akavir.
177 Posts
Ooc —
For the better part of their conversation, Moss couldn't hear them over the crunching of snow beneath her own feet. She knew when she was mentioned, but didn't hasten her pace. She had no intention of interrupting their conversation so that she could take part, but as her ward, Shardik fell under her supervision. 

Their conversation continued even after she'd been spotted, but she could only see the reddish male's expressions. She saw the widening of eyes, the slicking of his ears- she saw his gaze drift over and over again to Shardik's wounds. If Shardik was trying to impress the stranger with tales of his injuries, it'd be unflattering- but she wouldn't jump to that conclusion. He'd been very tight-mouthed about his experiences when he'd been facing the leadership. 

She was called over, and grunted softly, her voice muffled by bird feathers. She did not hasten her pace, but extended her stride so she could cover a bit more distance and close the gap between them without it looking as though she was hurried by the boy's invitation. He called for Akavir as well, and she flicked one ear back. He was often swift to come to a summon. 

Moss came to a halt and abruptly dropped the bird. She set one heavy paw on it, and set her gaze upon the newcomer as the bird's bones crackled beneath her weight. He had a slim jaw, something she thought was indicative of coyote blood; coyotes were cunning and quick. He had striking features- from his odd eyes to his bold markings- things which would never fail to make him distinct amongst others. She inhaled deeply. He smelled faintly of other wolves, but not of packs that she recognized. 

She turned her gaze to Shardik, then, willing him to speak first. And if Atreus spoke up- she would step harder upon the bird she'd killed, and crackle its bones even more.

First impressions were important.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
Congrats on 200!

His conversation with Shardik made him lose his heart. And as Moss came closer, Atreus officially lost his nerve. No, he definitely wasn’t going to mess with these wolves today. He could still gather intelligence on their pack and report back to Germanicus. He couldn’t walk back the small lies he’d already told, though he could make it honest work from this point onward…

Ducking his head, Atreus said, My name is Scout. That’s my specialty too. I’m looking into the packs in this region, trying to find the best match. Would you be able to tell me a bit about—oh damn, what had Shardik called it? Oh, right—Swiftcurrent Creek?
Swiftcurrent Creek
Alpha*
797 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Winter has a way of silencing the world while also adding its own dull noise—the plodding of paws throw snow was a gentle crunching, and Akavir, while he had never disliked the season before, did find himself missing the familiar songs of the bird and the gentle noises of a busier nature.

A howl called to him—unfamiliar to him still given the boys new status amongst their pack, but easy enough to divulge. The ebony Mayfair was as quick as he could be to the border, rounding closer to sidle up along the opposite side of Shardik, gaze traipsing from the talking boy to the stranger and then to Moss.

His features studious, though blank, he lifted his muzzle, waiting for further explanation before he broke out in any sort of friendly welcome. “A match for you?” Coaxing along the reason—champagne eyes looking over the sturdy wolf with consideration.
271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Akavir appeared just as the young wolf had finished telling his reason for being there. He sought to know more about the packs in this area. Swordfish thought that was smart of him. He hadn’t taken the same care when selecting the creek. He had merely waited to see who would find him upon the borders and if he would be accepted into their ranks. He did not have attachment or feelings for the pack he had pledged himself to.

This is Scout. He’s lookin’ to learn more bout the creek, sir.

Swordfish’s lazy brogue lingered on the air.

What kinda information do ya look fer? When yer meetin’ new packs? he asked of their company. It was curiosity that had pushed the question from his mouth. How many had he seen? How many would he go to? If there was any information that he could obtain by speaking with Scout, he would not squander it.
177 Posts
Ooc —
Scout. His name was Scout, and he was a scout. It sounded like a pretty last-minute invention to Moss, whose skepticism often bordered paranoia. She squinted when he spoke his name, intentionally trying to make him uncomfortable. He'd already shrunk a bit from her imposing presence- something told her that she would not need to do much to intimidate him further. She'd looked to Shardik to explain, after all- so when Scout spoke up, Moss put a bit more of her weight on the bird she'd been carrying with her, and allowed its bones to crackle audibly beneath her weight. 

She watched his expression carefully when he spoke with Shardik. She didn't reply to Akavir when he spoke, as she assumed he was talking to Shardik. After all- this young, lean wolf was more a physical match for her apprentice than he would ever be for Moss. 

He sought information about the pack, so he could choose the best one for himself. Personally, Moss didn't want to take in yet another wolf who wasn't even a yearling yet. They'd already taken in one wanderer, who'd honestly seemed as though he'd needed refuge. This one? No. He didn't give her the impression that he needed a home just yet. He could go to Kvarsheim or Silver Creek; maybe they had room for more youths. 

Moss remained silent, keeping her gaze on the young man, willing to amuse herself with testing him to see how he fared under such a stern eye.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
A brawny black wolf with yellow eyes joined the small gathering. He seemed to have overheard Atreus’s latest question and sought clarification. It seemed he would have no choice but to tell another fib.

Yes, he answered simply, eyes cutting to Shardik when his peer introduced him and then directly questioned what information he sought. Well, what’s the pack’s focus? Do you guys seek particular trades or anything like that?

While he spoke, the giant woman made a point of crushing the bird under her paw. This caught his attention, though Atreus found it more puzzling than intimidating. She still unnerved him, though why was she crushing perfectly good food?

He blinked a few times, then returned his attention to the latest arrival, sensing that he might be the authority figure here despite his less impressive size relative to Moss.
Swiftcurrent Creek
Alpha*
797 Posts
Ooc — Rachel
Moss—in pure Moss fashion—kept a shrewd gaze upon the stranger and leaned forward, crackling something beneath a heavy, well-placed paw. A stolen glance to the noise revealed spare tufts of feathers, and Akavir steeled his gaze once more upon the scout named Scout, concealing his amusement for now.

He studied the other—there was no reason to distrust him just yet—his questions proving to be something he didn’t mind sharing. “No particular trades, no particular focus. We want to uphold the valley we reside in as a place of peace and work with the other packs in our land—a haven, of sorts, I suppose.” Then, there was a pause, and a a darker smile teased at his lips. “We also don’t shy away from a battle or fight when it’s presented.” As, he felt, should be obvious by the scars that marred him.

“I’d say feel free to ask the last rogue crew that tried to pull something. But I threw the ringleader in the creek and the others limped their way out of here.”

It sounded like a bluff. He straightened—eyes fast upon the youth. Sometimes, Akavir did wish it was a bluff.
271 Posts
Ooc — Teo
A peaceful haven, Akavir described of their land. He touched on their cooperation with the other packs in the area. It was something that felt worthy of boasting, if Swordfish hadn’t been searching for a place to teach him how to fight. The dark creek leader went on to say that they did not shy away from conflict, when it was necessary.

Swordfish regarded Akavir from the edges of his eyes. He had painted the pack well for Scout. Not too much detail, but just enough information to know that they were formidable. The young seafarer understood why he had a position of leadership. He understood how Akavir had gained followers. The man was intense, but seemed to have an eye for taking care of those around him.

The boy glanced back to their company, wondering if Scout would be satisfied, or if he had more questions burning on the tip of his tongue.
177 Posts
Ooc —
Moss caught the glint of Akavir’s eye, but didn’t react. She knew she was likely behaving in a brutish manner but it worked. The stranger needed to see them as powerful, and Akavir’s story about flinging a wolf into the creek merited little more than a blink from Moss. 

It could have been a lie, or the truth. She decided it didn’t matter which was told as the wolf asking for information was a young rogue, pestering them for information without really giving much in return.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
It all sounded like pretty standard fare to Atreus, though his head tipped ever so slightly when Akavir mentioned a certain readiness to scrap. He innately approved, of course, as a soldier from Mereo. He had never seen combat, though the Imperator had driven it into his skull that a fighter must always be prepared.

The next several words out of the leader’s mouth were much more intriguing, though. Atreus’s lips parted and his expression clearly demonstrated his fascination. Don’t mess with the creek, he thought, glancing at Moss and wondering what role she might have played in this altercation, got it.

Suppressing any urge to pry any further, Atreus said, Thank you for taking the time to fill me in. I have a few other packs I’d like to check out but maybe I’ll be back. He inhaled, exhaled. Take care, he added, eyes lingering on Shardik the bear fighter the longest before the young man turned away.