Ouroboros Spine the one who devours
Moonglow
Beta*
breathe fire
635 Posts
Ooc — H2O
Guardian
All Welcome 
aw! shikoba is performing extra security measures with more active border patrols!

she has known that the hellcat has returned to spill blood upon stone once again.

as shikoba walks the borders this night, the sky is darkened with clouds. despite the lack of moonlight, she still walks with purpose in the darkness and pushes her scent against every inch of her home. she would not allow Moonglow to fall victim, as Lost Creek Hollow had done before in the past. she had survived once, perhaps she would do so again if lucky. when the spine would come to call for her to protect it, shikoba would heed.

there is a phantom pain that flickers on her scars, faded but not gone away. across her face and her shoulder, she remembered the greyed cat who left her for dead. and every day she hoped that his head lay upon a stick somewhere, as he earned no respect for a peaceful death and burial.

she pauses as she looks out, breath billowing from dark lips in a plume as smoke would from a dragon. she has been on edge since she had heard from moon woman that tulukiri had fallen. star hunter would promise herself that no others would be lost under her careful watch and power. her hackles are spiked, her tail flagged as she rumbles an anxious growl.

a terrifying gnarl, one that might echo through the open lands of the spine. moonglow was hers to protect.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Moontide
Alpha*
-I am a gentleman. My natural inclination is to be on my best behavior.-
1,251 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
No matter how hard he tried, the first hunter couldn't get the sight of Tulukiri's broken body out of his mind. He had nightmares and sometimes he swore he could smell the coppery tang of blood. The blood had stained the fur of Chakliux as they had walked. It had made his stomach turn and twist and he was so angry, at the unfairness of it all. Yes she should have called someone to go with her, but not everyone knew what cat smelled like. Not everyone was safe and now he was like a wild man as he patrolled the borders.

He hadn't passed Shikoba, but he had smelled her scent on the wind. She was as frenzied as he was with protecting their borders. It was with these thoughts and that sick feeling you only got form nightmares that he moved through the pack lands and heard the growl and snarl.

Ears perked forward and he raced towards it, anxiety tightening the muscles of his abdomen. His breath leaving in sharp takes. But it was Shikoba and no threat that he came across of her. He took a moment to take a deep even breath and closed his eyes. Fear and adrenaline still racing through him.
Moonglow
Beta*
breathe fire
635 Posts
Ooc — H2O
Guardian
had she known that anxiety struck rodyn's heart with her threatening call, shikoba would have apologized.

she would come to look at his hurried figure, concern lacing her face for a moment. it felt wrong to tiptoe around the matter at hand here. "i greet you, sivullik." she comes forward to nudge her muzzle against his shoulder in a friendly manner. though her tone is grace when she speaks. "there is danger near our village," a gaze outward for a flickering moment, "yet we cannot be afraid of it."

she wonders if rodyn had any experience with large cats.
Moontide
Alpha*
1,251 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
Rodyn smiled. It is good to see your face, Star Hunter. A soft noise in his words of affection. He had grown to care deeply for all the wolves of Moonglow and Shikoba was no exception. Another mother figure.

A shuddered worked through his body. I know. It was me and two others that found the remains of our pack mate.

A sad frown tugged his maw downwards and he tried to control his reaction, but he had never seen such carnage and such death and sadness.

My father had a naturalist poison a big cat once, but I'm afraid I don't know what they did. He always told me if you are to fight a cougar, you need quite a few wolves.
Moonglow
Beta*
breathe fire
635 Posts
Ooc — H2O
Guardian
she knows of the ugly scene that a mountain lion can create when hungry. shikoba was thankful for the fact that she was not there to see the body of the girl, fearful of what may have struck her heart at that moment. she comes to look back to Rodyn.

"they are devils," she would come to tell him, "never underestimate them." for their hunger, their power, and their ability to kill. it was the law of nature that things must be killed for the other to survive, shikoba has known this all her life. yet the fact that something was able to topple a wolf secretly haunted her at night. they were not the top species in these wilds, perhaps they never were meant to be.

"we cannot risk our safety with spring so near. there will be too many mouths to feed if we are picked off or weakened." moonglow was going to welcome a [hopefully] healthy batch of puppies into the world once spring would come. and shikoba knew that they would grow their teeth sooner than later and require meat. even more so, mothers would require meat to make milk.

yet, was it safer to be sitting ducks and allow for the mountain lion to draw possibly closer and closer to their home? "if rodyn were to choose," she would come to drawl out to him, "what would he do about the cat?"
Moontide
Alpha*
1,251 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
There had never been a sight so horrific that he had ever seen, except that day. It still got to him and he wasn't even sure what to do with it. He sighed and met her gaze.

Rodyn grimaced and nodded. I saw that and I won't. He didn't understand how to handle the cougar. He wasn't sure how to fix this one. And he had never been up against a cougar before. It made him a little ill.

Rodyn sighed and looked down. I worry Shikoba that I will choose the wrong thing. He gave a soft whine and looked up to the sky. He didn't wish to be responsible for losing other's lives, but he saw no other reason.

I think if we could with little harm to others, kill it. But I am unsure if we can do it without harm.
Moonglow
Beta*
breathe fire
635 Posts
Ooc — H2O
Guardian
"your fear comes from a place of care," she would come to say in a comforting tone, "there is much at stake for Moonglow." for her, for him, for everyone. no one within the village could say that the effects of the hell cat would go unnoticed if something drastic happened.

"walk with me." she invited him to come with her for a patrol around their home, wondering if they may spot anything while together. there was much to discuss.

"they are strong," she would come to tell first hunter, "smart; they can easily kill one of us if caught alone." why the gods would decide to make a creature so overpowered, shikoba would never know. "but they walk a path by themselves." 

solitary beings as they preferred to be known. had they been able to form prides, the wolves may have been run out of their homes. "and they know when to run." with enough able bodies and intimidation, the cat would have to realize that the risk was too high when there were too many warriors in the village it preyed upon.

"if enough of us were present, there is a chance of scaring it away. but it puts us at risk for an attack, or even an ambush when we leave the others alone in the village." strategy was something shikoba was vocal about, though it required a lot of smart thinking and planning in order for it to be useful.
Moontide
Alpha*
1,251 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
Rodyn listened closely he was glad that she understood where he came from. He didn't wish to cause more harm. And this was a moment of grave truths and learnings.

Paw step to paw step he walked with her. Shikoba who he had grown to love very much as another mother figure, sister figure all of it.

A shudder worked through his body at the mention of death. He had seen what the hell cats did. He saw how Tulukiri had looked.

Then what can we do? If we scare it away, won't it return? If there was chance that it wouldn't return, perhaps he would be fine with doing this.
Moonglow
Beta*
breathe fire
635 Posts
Ooc — H2O
Guardian
he asks a question, one that she is unsure of how to respond to for a moment. was there a correct answer, even? both options had their consequences, and she was not sure which one she was willing to risk more than the other. she has seen and felt what mountain lions can do, rodyn has seen the smeared blood and torn chunks.

she sighed for a moment. "it is hard to know," she admits to him, "every choice we make will have its risks. that is what makes this all so scary." and who was she to decide which one outweighed the other? moon woman and sun man surely had words for such a topic, not to mention rodyn was sivullik and had reason to be included in the meeting.

"i planned on meeting with moon woman and sun man to speak and hear their words," she would come to tell him, "but as sivullik, you should be present too." rodyn held a position of power and trust, she knew his words held value to the ears of leadership. 

"but no matter what, moonglow will protect itself. that is something that will never change." perhaps it was comforting to know that there was always one consistent part of the village. shikoba would have to shed her inner fears once again when it boiled down to it.
Moontide
Alpha*
1,251 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
The first hunter knew that star hunter may not have the answers he wanted or requested and that was alright. Just asking helped to calm some of his trepidation.

Rodyn nodded. I will be glad to be included and I will do my best to help us come to a decision.

Though a part of him wondered if he could come up with one. IT was such a scary undertaking, making such a decision. One that could seriously hurt those he loved. Just as he was sure it weighed heavy on the three leaders.

He gave a firm nod. He would protect his home and the wolves within it, with all that he had.
Moonglow
Beta*
breathe fire
635 Posts
Ooc — H2O
Guardian
"you are wise rodyn, have faith in your decisions."

he was picked by shikoba for many reasons to take her place when she ascended to her role as star hunter. shikoba held trust within rodyn, that the man was born with a pure heart that wished to guide others and help those around him. thus far, he has not proven himself unworthy of such a high pedestal he sits upon in the woman's mind. and shikoba would prefer if he just kept establishing her trust in him to be reasonable.

she sucks in a breath. "come, the borders need tending." she quite enjoyed working with the trader man. despite the fact that his specialty perhaps did not lay within protection as hers did, he still put the effort forward. that was enough to please shikoba. and for a moment, she wonders of other things to speak with him about. "have you been spending more time with samani?"
Moontide
Alpha*
1,251 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
He smiled at her words and gave a soft nod of agreement. He would try, but sometimes it was crippling. To come with decisions and results.

Shikoba was a wolf Rodyn cared deeply for. Sometimes he wondered if his affection went deeper for her than Kukutux, but he always disagreed. It seemed the same. Motherly and kind he loved them both.

He followed with her. Working to add new scents overtop of old.

He shooks his head sadly. We see each other when we can. But we both have duties. And Samani hides much of herself from all. But i trust that she an i will learn to coincide and be more open.
Moonglow
Beta*
breathe fire
635 Posts
Ooc — H2O
Guardian
the golden child had always been a little on the quiet side; in many ways, shikoba saw that the daughters of moonwoman were reserved and held her respectful and dutiful nature. except for perhaps kau, but the woman still loved the girl for her nature. all of kukutux's daughters have been fodder for shikoba to dream of having her own daughter someday.

"she's careful," she would come to say to rodyn about his soon-to-be wife, "observant and quiet like her mother. and she bears a large heart." shikoba was like a proud auntie when it came to speaking of the daughters of Moonglow. each of them was considered by shikoba to be her own kin. and for a moment, shikoba wondered if there is a desire to bear children this year, or if the two still needed time with one another.

"a good thing is that you are not pushy," she would come to look towards rodyn with a light smile, "samani will grow with patience and kindness, both of which you have plenty of." perhaps there was no better match for samani than the wayward trader!
Moontide
Alpha*
1,251 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
Samani had been quite and reserved, even shy since Rodyn had met her. It was some of the things that he loved so dearly about her. Because when she looked at him, really looked at him. He felt as if she was seeing all of him, not just his skill or his looks or anything, but him. The heart and the soul of the man, and that was priceless to the first hunter.

A fond smile graced his face. That she does. It is one of the many things i love about her. He liked that she looked and learned before she made a statement or a movement. She was always thinking.

Rodyn chuckled. What is the point of being pushy? It gets you no where, but hurt feelings. And I hate hurting feelings.

he bowed his head and nudged the woman kindly, a shy smile on his face. Thank you Shikoba.

He looked her over fondly a smile on his face. Shikoba was as much a mother figure to the boy as Kukutux, possibly even more so. And he loved her as dearly as he loved the other. But he was unsure how to tell her as such.
Moonglow
Beta*
breathe fire
635 Posts
Ooc — H2O
Guardian
one day, shikoba would come to track down Rodyn's mother and come personally to thank her for creating such a wonderful boy who brought joy and comfort to those in Moonglow. who knows, maybe his father deserves some credit too.

"some would argue that being pushy does wonders for them," she would come to joke, "Mojag needs a little push to decide what he wants to do with his life." she would never force him to do anything that made him uncomfortable or sad. but shikoba wanted her son to find his purpose sooner than later. "I think he's afraid he will make a wrong choice."

while shikoba does not know of their relationship entirely, she does understand that Rodyn has been present in her son's life. she has to wonder if he knows more about her son than she does! besides, shikoba only knows life from her perspective. perhaps rodyn would have his own words of wisdom for her?

"When did you know you wanted to become a trader, Rodyn?"
Moontide
Alpha*
1,251 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
The majority of his inner workings and his polite mannerisms liked with his mother. And he would admit that readily to any who asked. His father had given him a strong back, a love of the hunt, and possibly some trauma, but that was nothing major. he loved his father as much as his mother, they had always been present, but as a male. Rodyn had known eventually he would be chased away by the teeth of his father.

Rodyn made a soft snrr sound in his throat at her speaking of Mojag and he smiled softly. Mojag does not feel that he walks as a hunter, but he doesn't wish to disappoint you. He loves you more than anyone in the world. I told him I'd imagine you'd be proud of him for anything he chose, but I don't know if he listened.

Rodyn smiled at her. You raised an amazing son, Shikoba. He is very much his mother's son.

Her next question surprised him and he made a soft hnn sound. Honestly, not until Kukutux told me off it and I went on my bride price journey. I found out that I loved talking with other packs and offering things to them, they may not be able to get otherwise.
Moonglow
Beta*
breathe fire
635 Posts
Ooc — H2O
Guardian
Mature 
she listens to his words closely and has trouble finding any parallels between rodyn and mojag in her mind. while they are both kind-spirited, shikoba wonders if mojag could even handle such a mission if he were to be tasked. and her suspicions were correct; mojag does not feel the blood of a hunter course through his veins.

shikoba has done her best to not pressure him, but time and time again, she knows that her role is one that he cannot ignore. she walked the path of first hunter and now the path of star hunter. she's upheld the idea of the name and titles being the most important thing. and perhaps this is what continuously felt like a slap in the face to her son. she's given him no options to see the importance of other roles, and this is something that shikoba blames herself for.

"perhaps i will speak with moon woman," she says thoughtfully, "and see what she thinks i should do." she pauses for a moment before looking to her companion. "if mojag was your son, what would you do?" rodyn was wise enough that shikoba could trust his answer, so she was curious about his thought process on the entire thing.
Moontide
Alpha*
1,251 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
Rodyn and Mojag were similar, but also very different. Perhaps once upon a time Mojag would have made a wonderful hunter. But the time near the sea changed him. Made a growth in him that they wouldn't understand until he told them of it. But that was the way of things. The world helped to shape you. Just as Rodyn had grown into his own during his bride price journey.

Rodyn met her gaze and said softly. I would speak honestly with him. I would be sure to tell him that no matter what he chose I would support him. That I would be proud of him no matter what. Sometimes as young men, we need to hear those words. Not that we don't know it, or can believe it. We must hear it. It helps to fully solidify it in our spirits and in our hearts.

A frown marred his face and he sighed. As males we are given a set of rules. Even if they aren't the right rules. We feel that we must provide. That we are incapable of feeling things fully. We are not told it is okay to be sensitive, to not follow the path laid before us. Sometimes we just need a reminder. That it's okay.
Interested in Moontide? Rodyn is always available for threads.
Moonglow
Beta*
breathe fire
635 Posts
Ooc — H2O
Guardian
she listens and nods as she does. 

from the very beginning, mojag lacked a father in his childhood. and from this damage, he has seen the unraveling of his own mother during his impressionable periods. shikoba holds guilt for this, knowing that she should have done more to shield her son from her own troubles. and to think, she even had sat him down to tell him that his father was no longer in the picture -- and yet he accepted her answer and offered her comfort in the trying time.

mojag was forced to become a man when he was still a child. and shikoba had no one else to blame but herself for this forced metamorphosis of her child. 

"mojag did not have his tataa when he was young," she comes to say to rodyn, "i think he always felt the pressure to try and become what he lacked; what i missed." a deep sigh leaves her. "they are not very close, him and inutsuk."

"he has become so strong and independent so quickly. i hope he can see that in himself."
Moontide
Alpha*
1,251 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
Rodyn knew that the burden between Mojag and Shikoba had been hard to bear, but as he saw it. They both had choices to make and he held no ill will towards either of them. But of Inutsuk, he was angry with him still. Though he tried very hard not to be, it was not his battle.

A soft smile lit up his face. He is all these things and I Think with a little help, he will see this of himself. I will do my best to show him his worth if I can, Shikoba. I promise. I will help you where I can.

There was a soft dip of his head to the woman he had grown fast fond of.
Moonglow
Beta*
breathe fire
635 Posts
Ooc — H2O
Guardian
can i just say i love threads with these two? this seems like a good place to fade if you're happy to! <3

"you are a good man, rodyn." 

there were not many that shikoba could say that about. she comes to take a breath now, feeling a small grumble in her stomach after the most recent marking she did of the border.

"that should be enough for today," she comes to say to him with a smile, "will you come eat with me?" she didn't like to eat alone, first off, and second off, rodyn had done enough work for her to earn a little more meat in his belly for the day.
Moontide
Alpha*
1,251 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Deerstalker
Trapper
They are super cute <3

A shy smile. Thank you.

He nodded. He would gladly eat with the wise woman. Enjoy small talk and lighter topics and just enjoy the day. He was looking forward to it. So with a jaunty step he followed behind her. Eager to finally rest for the day. They both worked hard, it was only justly deserved.