Jade Fern Grove Stay Gold
Kvarsheim
NPC
474 Posts
Ooc — tazi
Private 
@Reverie

She cut through the woodland and followed the river upstream. The sun was going down and the evening was golden. She found her perch in the roots of a fallen grand elm, some high ground where she could observe rousings of the vesper.

Finches floated through the trees and emerged into her clearing—pairs, singles, groups. She watched them arrive quietly from her throne of thorns. Some chattered in hushed, excited tones, others came wordlessly. She wondered how many other lonely roving beasts they’d made company of in their wandering.

She inhaled deeply, trying to consume it all. There were rare moments of simple content in a solitary life, she knew to hold onto them when they came. 
Hushed Willows
Dancing Queen
1,395 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Gilded light over the valley, a warm glow almost calling to mind the flaxen expanse of her home. Too different to be truly the same, though; where The Gilded Sea was nothing but tall golden grass for miles, the valley was filled with woods and hills and secret places all dusted over with the pale of winter. Beautiful in its own way — and more importantly, far too cold for fire.
Reverie knew the cold would not last, so she savored it while she could. She wandered the grove and listened to the sounds of the wilds, so different from those back home. Even the birds! She followed the happy little noises of their general existence, eyes on the trees, until the scent of wolf caught her attention. Unfamiliar to her, but the gilded girl was feeling chatty, so she pursued the trail until it took shape. The shape of a girl far too skinny, beyond even Reverie's sickly slimness, with fur like ash and eyes like stars. She was perched among tree roots, eyes on the birds which were now flitting away in alarm at Reverie's approach.
Oh - sorry! Her apology was hushed, but it was far too late. The birds had retreated. Looking crestfallen, she added weakly, I didn't realize...
Watching me is like watching a fire take your eyes from you
Kvarsheim
NPC
474 Posts
Ooc — tazi
If ever she did see an immortal being, it was on this day. Light came from everywhere at once, pelt warm like honey, streaks of bronze flashing from a sun-tipped tail as it fell into soft sway.

Taurus flinched, as if all that gold could set her ash ablaze. She pressed her chin down to her paws, ears flattening across her skull, lips raised to show teeth in distance-making instinct, raising a wall of ice between this being and herself. She could hear her pulse, loud in her ears, calling to mind her latest encounter with the thieving waif. But this one’s face was soft with youth, and the mouth that parted in startled greeting looked kind, not cruel. And beyond them lay a stretch of forest, if she was in danger, she would run.

The gleaming creature was close, peering up between the twist of root, ends of golden feet disappearing into snow.

“And now you do.” Her ridge bristled, a bite in her voice. But gray eyes held wide with awe, unable to part with that lambent gaze.
Hushed Willows
Dancing Queen
1,395 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Blazing eyes and scathing words, and the ghost of a snarl. Reverie wilted under the girl's venom, undoubtedly deserved but distressing nonetheless. I'm sorry... She repeated softly, though it wouldn't bring the birds back. I can't fix it, but... is there anything else I can do? For you? Honestly, she figured the girl would ask for food. No one starved by choice, did they?
But that was an assumption she wasn't ready to make. Not when the girl blazed with so much silver fire, as if the woods were alight even in winter. Too cold for fire here, perhaps, but not too cold for hers. Reverie was fascinated despite her dismay, but cautious all the same. She never could run from fire, but she knew enough to avoid grasping for the flames.
Kvarsheim
NPC
474 Posts
Ooc — tazi
“Help me: stranger.” Shoulders held rigid but she gave a skeptical hike of muzzle. Her eyes raked freely over the girl, as if trying to gauge her character by sight alone. She too was slight, but not in the same way that marked Tauris with hunger- in a natural way that many would denote as feminine. Delicate. Were all southern wolves spun with such elegance?

“You offer charity, but there is no give without take.” She’d learned well by now that everything in these freelands had a cost. Even this unearthly creature with warm air and words sweet as honey.
Hushed Willows
Dancing Queen
1,395 Posts
Ooc — xynien
No give without take. Reverie huffed a soft laugh; not unkindly, but she knew it was a rude reaction nonetheless and tipped her muzzle down in a quick gesture of apology. There's a lot of give without take if you're a sucker like me, She smiled a little sardonically, thinking of Tybault and the twins and even Rose. Listen, I feel bad about interrupting you. Helping you would make me feel better. Think of that as the take, if you have to.
It was clear the girl hadn't led an easy life; Reverie knew what that was like, but she wasn't sure she'd ever been quite so jaded herself. She knew kindness existed, at least enough to recognize it when it fell into her lap, enough to meet it with desperate gratitude rather than wariness. This was different. This wasn't just staring in disbelief at the helping hand extended, this was flinching from it in fear of what else that hand might do. Her heart ached for the ash-furred wolf, but she didn't step closer, as much as she wished to.
Kvarsheim
NPC
474 Posts
Ooc — tazi
She took a chance and rose, slinking between branches and coming to set herself before the gold one. She stuck a curious nose out, testing the air in audible huffs, “Pack wolf?” She asked, face carefully blank. How many unsuspecting beings could this great beauty ensnare? And how near was this family of her’s? Would they not chase off a scrappy stray from their boundary? All this debate reflected in her tail as it ticked behind her.

Though, Tauris had not forgotten the benefits that were afforded wolves who ran in packs. Liberty to explore things was an option when basic needs of survival were met. Charity, or otherwise. Maybe even goodness, just for the sake of doing good. And Tauris was not so proud that she would refuse help when it so readily offered itself. She pulled her nose back to better study the nameless girl arrayed in gold.

“What are you called?”
Hushed Willows
Dancing Queen
1,395 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Something she said must have gotten through to the girl. Reverie hadn't thought she was that convincing, but she was pleased for it nonetheless! The thin ashen wolf remained wary as she extracted herself from her tree-root perch, so Reverie stayed where she was and only smiled at her. It was a little disconcerting, to be identified as a pack wolf before anything else, but she was getting used to it. Pack before individual: a concept she did not think she could ever fully accept in her heart, but one she could learn to live with.
I'm Reverie, She said carefully, a subtle rejection of the custom; the only small rebellion she would allow herself for now. And I live with Kvarsheim. You? It was obvious the girl was alone, Reverie thought, but maybe she wasn't meant to be so. Maybe she was looking for someone.
Kvarsheim
NPC
474 Posts
Ooc — tazi
Reverie. A pretty name. A fitting one. This girl was a reverie, enough to graze at the edges of Tauris’ being, if just a little. She tasted the names, foreign and butchered on her tongue. How queer was the language here.

“You are too trusting, Reverie from Karsheen.”

Was it a fault, or a virtue? Surely both, Taurus would imagine. Her mind lingering over the encounter with her thief, and all the other fiends that plagued the shadows of their wood. Or maybe she wasn't trusting at all, rather generous, and this was all simply a testament to how pathetic and gaunt Tauris had come to look. Regardless, the black female was at the receiving end of this aid, and she would not question it further. She returned to the matter at hand.

“I’m Tauris. I desire a hunt, if you would join me. Here, in the freelands.” She was still wary of an ambush. Neutral ground would at the very least give her a chance to get away should Reverie change her color.
Hushed Willows
Dancing Queen
1,395 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Maybe Reverie should have been offended, but — well — being insulted by a beautiful girl was still being acknowledged by a beautiful girl! Her name was Tauris, and she wanted to hunt. The gilded girl was reminded distantly of Lestan, who had also wanted to hunt; Lestan, who she also would have done anything to keep in her orbit when she first met him. She nodded eagerly to the girl's request, and tried not to think of the blood.
Okay! Um - do you have anything in mind? Or should we just... see what's around? She stepped closer without thinking, and froze a little when she realized what she'd done. Oops! Reverie stayed where she was, because stepping back again would have looked very odd, and hoped that Tauris wouldn't take offense.
Kvarsheim
NPC
474 Posts
Ooc — tazi
A heavy dose of fear was what had kept her Northern pack alive in the height of winter’s onslaught. Kept lone wolves from bull hunts or tracking too near packland. And it was fear that caused her nose to quickly recoil, her tail to tuck as her companion advanced unexpectedly.

But... she found herself wanting to believe in the ways of her. That perhaps there could be more in this life than fear and being feared.

So Tauris slowly righted herself until their narrow breadth was shared, nose held close as it learned Reverie’s scent.

Where she was cold, Reverie was warm. Offered grace where she had given none. She was likable- Tauris had never been that. But maybe she could try to be. There was little harm in it? And the girl was deserving of that much.

“Thank you,” her voice came softer. Sincere. She blinked and drew back, allowing the muscles in her limbs and belly to loosen, brimming now with more curiosity than skepticism.

“Do you know these woods well? There could be mule deer here,” She reasoned. She’d not be able to fell one herself in this state. But with a willing partner, perhaps the pair of them could.
Hushed Willows
Dancing Queen
1,395 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Tauris seemed to soften, even thanked her, and Reverie found herself smiling with helpless delight. Already she wanted to see her again! Maybe she would take her to Bjarna, to Kvarsheim — no, no, it was too soon for that. Reverie told herself to focus, to live in the present. And at present Tauris was speaking of mule deer.
Oh! I've seen deer - I usually avoid them, but they're around, She didn't know much about hunting deer, but she wouldn't tell Tauris that. It couldn't be too different from hunting other hoofed creatures, could it? Suddenly Reverie wished Lestan were here. He knew something of the herds in the valley, whereas she knew... nothing. She almost suggested that they head toward the meadow, but thought better of it; she would let Tauris take the lead in this. Reverie felt that the other girl would be more comfortable if she was in control.
Kvarsheim
NPC
474 Posts
Ooc — tazi
Avoid deer? Curious words they had here, perhaps curious diets, too. “No taste for them?” She asked Reverie with a click of teeth. Her jowls were already heavy with slaver at the thought of a proper meal. There was a briskness to her step as she trodded alongside her companion, dropping her nose to the earth to sift through an abundance of scents. Her steel eyes would stray to Reverie as they worked. It simply felt right to share the hunt with another. And with her golden coat glinting in the dappled sun, it was hard to look away, anyways.

The air was growing thick with mist as the heat of the day steamed off snow into the pewter light of dusk. When at last they’d converged onto a trail, she’d fix Reverie with a low yet equally eager whine.

Deer.
Hushed Willows
Dancing Queen
1,395 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Reverie followed along with none of Tauris's hunger, but just as much enthusiasm. But — she was not sure how to answer her question! For a moment Reverie only stole glances at the other girl and thought about what she might say. I - well, I don't eat very often, or very much, so there's usually no point, She said when she'd gathered her thoughts. There. That sounded... normal-ish. More normal than the full truth:
She did not want to hurt the deer. But she would, for Tauris, who desperately needed the sustenance. So when they came upon a trail and her ashen companion whined, Reverie answered with a chuff of agreement and started to follow it further with eyes trained ahead. She steeled herself for what was to come.
Kvarsheim
NPC
474 Posts
Ooc — tazi
Reverie was not quick to respond, and Tauris watched as the Karsheen girl with her eyes cast inward drifted to internal thoughts. She too did not eat often, though not by choice. Her nose twitched, making little sense of it. It was just as well some pack wolves ate less with ample prey in the valley, not ravaged by the singular ache of hunger. Though a seed of doubt sowed there, judging by how she’d seen the girl stiffen.

Tauris shook out her pelt, tossing away the thought. There was no way better to foster kinship than a hunt, and Reverie would change her mind as soon as she smelled the riches of their kill. The herd was their's to take, the birthright of a wolf. 

She retook the trail, blood beating as they snaked through the trees, hawthorn whipping her ankles and dusk licking her nose, driving onward until the scent of ungulate grew thicker and vaulting pines thinner, yielding to a misty meadow. Soundlessly she stole along the clearing’s edge before falling to her belly, tail hovering just off the ground in anticipation. Silhouettes grazed in the final rays of sunlight ahead. A delicious shiver barbed the ruff at her throat.

“There, Reverie, do you see them?” A glance over her shoulder towards her companion.
Hushed Willows
Dancing Queen
1,395 Posts
Ooc — xynien
When Tauris shook out her fur, Reverie wondered if she'd said the wrong thing. Maybe there wasn't any normal way to put it? But the silver-eyed girl said nothing more on the subject, so Reverie was happy to leave it lying in the snow behind them. She focused on Tauris to avoid thinking about the hunt, staying at her side but allowing her a slight lead as they pursued the trail. Her dread mounted as they neared the end of it, and then —
There they were. Serene, limned by the evening sun, simply existing among one another. Reverie remembered when she had been like them: only one part of a whole, lost in the overlap of so many hearts joined as one. She tried to swallow back the sudden lump in her throat. Yes, She whispered, eyes already searching for signs of weakness among them. It was natural; it was what wolves were meant for. But Reverie did not want it.
Kvarsheim
NPC
474 Posts
Ooc — tazi

I'm so so sorry for the late reply! Been buried in obligations the last couple weeks. I couldn't resist twisting the knife here

She saw something there- apprehension in her comrade’s eyes. Tauris felt it too and gave a reassuring chuff, a silver shoulder to brush against her gold. Pangs of excitement trickled down each limb as the wolves waded down wind through swaths of the ear-high veld. Eyes and nose surveyed the herd, before a suitable mark was made.

Between laps of slathered lips came a hushed voice, “The fawn.”

She tipped her nose to the dappled calf, who teetered beside their mother.
Hushed Willows
Dancing Queen
1,395 Posts
Ooc — xynien
Now it's my turn to apologize for the wait LOL I'm sorry, hunting threads slay me. We can continue if you're after a hunter trade with Tauris, but otherwise maybe we could fade here? <3
The young one. Of course. Reverie knew that it was only logical, and it truly was their safest option if they could separate the pair. She fought the rising urge to cry and reminded herself that Tauris needed this. Food, real food, because berries could only sustain a wolf for so long. It had been a viable option with Lestan because he was a pack wolf who did not need to worry about where his next meal might come from. To offer such to Tauris would be an insult at best; cruel at worst.
So she steeled herself for what was to come. The blood, the shrieking, the struggle. She looked to Tauris to take the lead, and would follow her cues closely. But she would not take part in the meal that would follow; could not. Not with the memory of the fawn's death fresh in her mind.
Kvarsheim
NPC
474 Posts
Ooc — tazi
all good with me! Thanks so much for the rp <33

She flies through the herd despite her weakened winter bones, severing the fawn’s route to his mother and weaving his trail like a shepherd would her flock. Reverie is a passive yet capable accomplice, and together they move in the ancient dance between hunter and hunted.

When it is over and she’s taken her fill, she looks curiously to the girl who refuses to feed. She will pull a knee from the kill and draw some paces back into the dimming light.

“Thank you,” comes her voice muffled. She was a wolf fed by the kindness of a stranger, and she would not soon forget it. “The rest, for your Karsheen.”

A debt paid.

Her lips curl over the leg into a timid smile of sorts, one that doesn’t quite manage to express the gratitude she feels for the little golden wolf. Then she turns and braids with the night, belly a little less empty now and maybe her heart too.