Gyrfalcon's Keep window
328 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
@Asvoria ...? :)

where was she?

it didn't matter. the sea sprawled in her gaze in the dark distance from here. had she ever seen it before? she only thought of the lake she had left behind.

she only though of him.

and wept loudly with the still mourning sounds of a widow. a banshee in the night, given form upon the young claim.
76 Posts
Ooc —
Someone unknown now walked this land. 

Asvoria searched, nose seeking they who had wandered here. And when she found them, she halted, watching them closely from a distance.

Hail! Eventually she would speak, coming a step closer.

You walk upon sacred land, stranger. Why have you come here?

Old Norse | Common Tongue
— —
Hover over text for unknown tongue translations.
328 Posts
Ooc —
a divine fallen so low.

crumbled upon the earth. mourning, weeping. twisting in her pain and hungers.

hail!

sacred land.

she lifted her head, blinking through a teary gaze.

you, she rasped in a tired breath. you are a priestess?
76 Posts
Ooc —
Watery eyes. This stranger, she knew grief of some sort. 

But Asvoria would not ask now. Later.

You are a priestess?

I am. 

This woman knew? But oh — was she a priestess too?

— —
328 Posts
Ooc —
pray for me,

she asked in her quivering, tired tones. voice drawn tight against her own hoarse vocal chords.

the blessings of akashingo felt far from her and they were no longer hers to hold anyway! a husband who she wondered if they even mourned. a daughter and son left behind.

a girl-pharaoh who had banished her.

she did not wish to beg for blessings here too.
76 Posts
Ooc —
This woman wished that she would pray. For a moment, Asvoria was puzzled. This stranger had come seeking prayer? Of all things? Or perhaps they did not know what they had come for, only to happen upon someone who could give them something.

Gaze softening, a step closer was taken. But space was still given. You must tell this woman what it is she must pray for, or else these words will be useless to you.

— —
328 Posts
Ooc —
for me.

she repeated, slipping into the begging. was such her life now? to crawl upon the earth before holy figures and seek redemption?

for my dead husband. for the children i had to leave. please, let the gods hear me!
76 Posts
Ooc —
She grieved losses of many. 

The old gods would already know these things, but they would hear them again.

Placing her muzzle close against the woman's cheek, Asvoria whispered close, The old gods, known best by the former viking clans will hear this woman's plea. A promise. For they had not failed to listen before.

Taking a small step back, she sat, head bowed and eyes closed. Hear me. Hear us. Angrboða... you have brought this woman great sorrow. She feels this pain that you have set unto her. Hel... you have taken life and cannot return it. But you can be mindful of the spirit now in your wake. A husband and father has come to you. Watch him well.

The priestess went on, not moving an inch, nor blinking in slight. There were many gods and goddesses of old. She could name them all and ask things of each, but perhaps even this would not be enough to heal the spirit of this woman.

Eir... you know ways of healing, by spirit and of body. Take this grieving soul and make it whole. Take these tears, and turn them into laughable and loveable memories. Heimdall... you are protector. Watch this woman, along with those she has left behind. They may never be reunited again—but with your keen and watchful eye, they may all be kept safe and walk the paths of the future with your shield hovering above them.

Silence, now. But only for a few moments until Asvoria would stir.

Her gaze set back upon the woman, she chuffed lightly. You have traveled long. Your body is exhausted, both from it and your sorrows. Return with me, She invited, knowing full and well she still knew nothing of this stranger, aside from her recent losses. You will need time to rest and mourn, so that you may continue on as you once were with strength and happiness.

— —
328 Posts
Ooc —
not a single name she recognized.

no Nwt, no Osiris or Hathor. not even the flaring of the Apis Bull was heard now. the world was silent beyond the worshipful words of the priestess.

treva could only look down at cracked paws. heard the prayers for her safety and health. her healing. she wondered if toula could feel these things even if it was suddenly cultures apart. gods apart. her daughter had always been willing to learn.

could the dreadfather hear it? would he tell her daughter?

return with me.

she blinked at last and felt the burn of her eyes. felt as sunken as she was in form now. how quickly she had dissolved into a bag of bones and angry teeth.

i was a queen. she confessed softly in a broken voice. i was an advisor.

the time before felt too far away to matter now.

let me offer myself and my knowledge in payment for healing and prayers.
76 Posts
Ooc —
Rather than remain silence, this woman spoke more.

She was queen, and advisor. But the way she mentioned them was not in a way of pride.

Hljóðrfell is a place of worship and healing — but also of learning. If you choose to stay and teach what you know, you may decide to learn from us as well. The way of vikings is long told as prosperous and divine, filled with those of strength, willingness, and knowledge. Asvoria explained these things for simple reason. She did not want this woman to think that she owed a form of debt. It was a choice to walk the path of the temple, not a punishment. 

Our temple is sacred, but welcoming to those who seek the eyes and ears of our gods. If you walk with us, you are accepting them in some form or another. But would she agree to this?

— —
328 Posts
Ooc —
vikings, a primitive cry from akashingo.

yet this woman was holy. divine. blessed by gods in some way or another.

i accept them.

what else was there to do? as she stood on shaky legs and looked to the woman now. ready to be guided into these new things.
76 Posts
Ooc —
The acceptance was greeted with a soft smile.

Asvoria then waved her tail gently, beckoning the woman to walk alongside her. Should she fumble, the priestess would not be far to aid.

You will not be pushed to decide yet, but there are many roles we offer, both within the temple and not. When you are ready to speak of them, we may. But not yet. It was too soon. This woman needed more time.

Further into the keep, she led them, occasionally sparing a glance to be sure the woman was still with her. 

Ah, but— Suddenly, she'd realized something. I do not even know of your name. Please, tell it to me.. and I shall tell you mine.

— —
328 Posts
Ooc —
she walked close alongside the other woman, the priestess. holy and blessed.

when would she be ready? even she did not know! there was no burning passion that encouraged her to clasp onto things now.

she felt much more akin to a small thing, floating along with the waves.

treva, but it was not carried strong. it felt like a broken fragment that settled on her shoulders like an old cloak.
76 Posts
Ooc —
Treva. Yet another part of this woman not spoken with an ounce of pride or belonging.

A beautiful name, Treva. But perhaps one changeable, if desired. I am Asvoria, but often called Skörungr by my people. It is the title of high priestess. Though, it wasn't of importance to know this yet. They had barely begun to form.

Back to a matter of concern. You do not speak as though you are pleased with your given name. Nor did you when speaking of your past roles. But then, the past was always a sordid thing, often rejected when ill times arise.

— —
328 Posts
Ooc —
she would do no disservice by trying to poorly pronounce the woman's title. it only mattered to know that this woman was a high priestess.

she thought of the toying we'eb she had left behind too — she did not miss him in a way beyond selfish indulgence.

i am burned in hot shame, asvoria. molded by it now in the tangles of her grief. a project of blown glass that felt prepared to shatter when things cooled. how can i be pleased of the things i was so easily pushed from? of what a husk of a woman i am?
76 Posts
Ooc —
She disliked who she was. Who she had been.

Your past has misgivings, but this does sour you as an individual. You may not enjoy who you had been, but you must learn to go on with what is left of you. For a moment only, Asvoria paused, offering a gentle touch to the woman's shoulder. Your spirit has great strength. I feel it in you, Treva.

It could only be that this woman wanted change for herself. But there was only so much change that could happen. This new place will be good for you. But here, I cannot give you new life. Only a fresh start. You must decide how this new start will look for yourself. However she saw it for herself. Asvoria would do her best to accommodate.

— —
328 Posts
Ooc —
it was a muddied thing to explain.

she had no shame in being queen, in being advisor. only shame in how quickly it had all crumbled and that she had let a spoiled girl exile her!

a flame of anger. she should have struck for the throat when she could have.

but it was only a thing to think about, to comfort herself with at night on this...new start.

but you will pray with me still, won't you? on these things and my new start?

greedy and unwilling to let the high priestess go. they must have met for a reason!
76 Posts
Ooc —
Of course I will. And there was no questioning it! This was what the high priestess promised. So she would deliver.

There is something we can do. Only a thought. The choice still belonged to Treva. As is tradition of my people, you can choose to take a name given by the gods. They will see in your heart and find a name that resembles your worth in their eyes. It is a way to revitalize yourself and perhaps see you in a new, better light.

— —
328 Posts
Ooc —
it was not such an outlandish thought.

she had carried different names and titles in akashingo. perhaps the detail was even more fitting here, for a new start. away from the eyes and grasp of a childish pharaoh who still might harbor hate.

there could be no traveling whispers of a wayward queen who had struck pharaoh if she was hidden among a temple with a new name, hm?

i can do this,

she meant to say she wanted to, needed to. yet there was only so much begging she could handle!
76 Posts
Ooc —
She was willing, but was she ready? Perhaps it was better to wait.

When we have returned, I will go to the temple and seek a name from the gods. When they have given it, and you are ready, it will be bestowed to you.

— —
328 Posts
Ooc —
happy for any follow up threads but maybe a fade here? :)

thank you, i understand.

and she did. only she grew tired and weary.

ready for the moment that she could rest body and mind. even if only for a few hours.
76 Posts
Ooc —
absolutely! I will archive it here, then!

Asvoria would nod curtly in response, but would not speak more.

The returning journey was silent from here. Both were given time to think, but of their own thoughts. One of planning, and one of mourning.

When they were soon upon the mountains, Treva would be led to the caverns in which they slept. There, she could choose her chambers and rest for a time. 

The high priestess would not linger long, leaving their newest arrival with her own space. And meanwhile, she would make for the temple, so that she may fulfill her promise and find a new name fit for she who would be made anew.

— —