Pledged
Shadewood
840 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
All Welcome 
The sight of wild horses on the neighboring plain excited Masquerade, reminding her of one of her first successful big game hunts. There had only been two that day, one of them so ill it had succumbed to the four wolves. But here she counted nine and all appeared hale and healthy as they marched across the open grassland, heading east.

Unable to resist coming closer, Masque trailed behind the herd. She dropped her nose to sniff at the hoof prints and heaps of dung they left in their wake. The scents stirred the hunter’s bloodlust and she thought to fall back and collect some of her pack mates to hunt one of them, perhaps the young mare who appeared to be pregnant.

Before she could act on this thought, the stallion at the head of the herd abruptly whickered and broke into a trot. The other eight horses quickly followed suit, their hooves thundering toward the moraine. Masque knew the rugged terrain would slow them, though there was no time to summon her comrades for a hunt.

Nevertheless, the young she-wolf galloped after the herd, keeping pace about fifty yards behind the elder mare straggling in the back. This required her to run close to her top speed, her heart thudding in her chest as she chased the wild horses purely for the excitement and adrenaline rush.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Redtail Rise
Wealda*
270 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
since our others closed up!

A silent shape joined Masquerade, cutting across the field in a mad sprint and coming to run alongside them.

Redd had followed her sibling out with mild interest and hadn’t intended to remain close by.  Once she’d seen what they were doing she intended to move on, but when the activity revealed itself similar to a hunt, those plans changed.  Even if this was more game than true sport, it was not a chase that Redd could bring herself to pass by.

She’d cut in slightly behind Masque and was pushing herself to catch up.  Her legs hit the ground with a rapid and satisfying rhythm, and while they would not catch the herd, she felt exhilarated as she surged up, alongside and yet slightly behind, Masquerade.
Pledged
Shadewood
840 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
She saw Redd careening toward her out of the corner of her eye but didn’t turn her head. Masque was staring determinedly at the mare’s hindquarters, trying her damnedest to catch up even if there was no hope of felling such a beast. She did glance sideways when she heard her sister’s paws pounding up beside her. Actually, she directed a wolfish smile Redd’s way, tongue flopping from her mouth so freely that the wind carried a long string of drool toward her unfortunate sibling.

Facing forward again, Masque decided to pour her energy into a final burst of speed. She didn’t have to pace herself; they weren’t going to pursue these horses over a long range. Her feet flew over the ground, kicking up dirt and snow as Masque slowly closed the gap. She could feel her heart slamming against her ribs, faster even than her paws thrummed against the earth. They may as well have been wings; she felt like she was flying! She wasn’t sure she’d ever run so fast in her life. It was absolutely exhilarating.
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Redtail Rise
Wealda*
270 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
opened this one back up, we can finish it quick if you want, just wanted to make sure I resolved it ^^; since I love these two.  Hopefully I’ll be able to be quicker this time around

Redd tried to keep up, but the horses sprinted in a way she wasn’t able to hold for long.  She gave up before Masquerade did and fell from her place alongside, slowing to a lope while she panted and watched her sibling run.

She would push herself to a run again if Masquerade got close enough for danger to exist, but at the distance they trailed, the hooves were not a threat.  Instead they merely formed a fading thunder beneath her paws, one that she would be sure to remember belong to these distinct and dangerous creatures.  Something told her they were bolder than the elk they usually hunted.
Pledged
Shadewood
840 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
As wonderful as it felt at first, Masquerade couldn’t maintain this speed for long. She began to lose ground as the herd swerved slightly right. Rather than lope after them, she let them go and angled to the left. Slowing down the whole way, she ran in a wide arc before facing the direction from which she had come and loping back to Redd’s side.

Panting heavily, she grinned at her sister before promptly flopping to the grass. She collapsed onto her side, flank rising and falling rapidly at first, then more slowly as the minutes ticked past. Eventually Masque caught her breath and found the energy to push partially upright, her weight supported on her elbow.

That was a rush, she said, her muscles ticking like a cooling car engine. Although maybe we should find something we could actually catch, Masque mused, eyes clinging to the dust cloud in the distance: the only sign left of the herd.

I’m happy to continue and we don’t need to rush it. :)

Redtail Rise
Wealda*
270 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
She let her tongue loll out happily as she watched Masquerade run a ways further before circling round to rejoin her.  Redd let her sister regain their breath, then her ears pricked with interest at that suggestion.  Something they could catch.

There was a drinking location nearby, a spot where a stream widened out and stilled enough for easier access.  If nothing else they could slake their thirst before looking, but there was a chance they’d find something suitable already there and distracted, doing the same.  

Redd let out a soft whuff in agreement, then began making her way in the direction, clearly inviting Masque to follow with an occasional glance.
Pledged
Shadewood
840 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Masque rolled onto all fours when her sister disembarked, shaking bits of grass off herself with a bodily wiggle. She was pretty spent, so she didn’t race to catch up with Redd, though eventually the gap between them closed as they approached their destination.

She hastened to the water’s edge and dropped her head, the air filling with the sound of her greedy lapping. After she quenched her thirst, Masquerade backed off with a gasp of air as she licked the stray droplets from her chops. This time, it only took a moment to catch her breath again.

Now her eyes cut over to Redd, a look on her face that said, What’s next? She was happy to let her sister take point on this next venture.

Redtail Rise
Wealda*
270 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Masque would allow her to lead now.  She read the intention and considered it, then quietly began to pick her way along the stream north, intentionally slinking to hide her progress some.  She knew that her sibling would follow suit.

There was a place where the river widened and slowed, where the water along the bank stilled in a sort of bowl as it was cut from the swifter current.  Her ears pricked at the telltale sound of geese.  They had returned!  And with them the opportunity for a hunt.  She had done so once or twice since Ashlar showed her, but never alone.

She crept towards the bordering growth, then paused and waited for Masquerade to place themselves similarly.  She would catch her gaze again before, ensuring they both were ready before they attempted to break cover.  If this went well both would have lunch and some to share with another.  One goose could easily feed two.
Pledged
Shadewood
840 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Some sort of buzzing insect whined past her ear. Masquerade flicked her head and snapped at it, then saw her sister begin to move. She trailed after her, muscles still ticking gently from her hard gallop. Part of her hoped that Redd was leading her toward a shady patch where they could rest a while and maybe catch a nap.

Instead, her sister took her to an eddy in the brook, where the water was calm and deep. Masque picked up on the sound of geese and raised a brow, curiosity piqued. She figured they’d have better luck going after the band of mustangs again, though hopefully she was wrong. Anyway, she trusted Redd.

Smiling to herself, the gray hunter positioned herself and crouched among the rushes. The swampy scents of algae and goose droppings were stronger here. Masque sniffed the air interestedly, then looked toward Redd. Their eyes met and she tipped her head to show that she was ready.

Redtail Rise
Wealda*
270 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Masquerade seemed willing.  Redd let the ghost of a smile flit across her expression, then settled into the focus of the hunt.  Geese were formidable but cowardly when not nesting… with nothing to defend they would flee. They needed a pair with few others nearby.

She circled, creeping behind the growth, and allowed her ears to determine the sparser outskirts of the flock.  Here.  Three lingered nearby, floating placidly and occasionally dipping below for the plants in easy access near the shore.  The water would slow their approach, but with a leap, Redd thought them within fairly easy reach.

A glance to her hunting partner and a pointed look at the one she herself would take.  Masquerade could choose to assist or to pursue their own - but Redd would erupt forth once the decision seemed settled.

feel free to make some assumptions <3 I’ll prob roll to see how Redd’s goes next post
Pledged
Shadewood
840 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
As Masque ascertained the geese, she couldn’t help but think of the pheasant she’d killed the night before. It had been eerily easy, though she knew that wasn’t going to be the case today. She had never really bothered with birds. The hen had been an exception. They were complicated prey at best and at worst, downright dangerous.

But if Redd was up for the challenge, Masquerade would rise to the occasion. She waited patiently for her sister to take point and make a move. When Redd indicated her target, Masque nodded her assent and readied herself. When her sister sprang into the shallows to tackle the goose, she observed, assessed and then launched after her.

She dove for one of the goose’s wings, which had spread and begun beating the air as its defensive honks rang in the wolves’ ears. Masque registered the rest of the flock taking flight around her but maintained her focus, trying to get a good grasp on the flailing pinions.

When that proved nearby impossible due to the bird’s utterly chaotic movements, Masque changed tack. Planting her hind feet on the slimy stream bed, she reared and then drove her forelegs down on the goose’s back. She tried to avoid knocking into Redd as she attempted to shove the bird underwater. Maybe if Redd also pushed it down, they could manage to drown the damn thing.

Redtail Rise
Wealda*
270 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Redd had originally intended them each to catch a goose of their own but that plan was quickly proven to be overly optimistic.  The geese she’d chosen were apart from the flock but were also larger than she was used to, and as they sprang, the one Redd had gone after she only managed to snag by the feathers as it took off.

It took a moment’s recalculation for her to switch strategies.  Redd released her jaws just as the goose’s webbed feet shot out and caught her a glancing blow on the muzzle.  It stung but didn’t break the skin, and Redd ignored the unpleasant tingling it left behind as she pounced on the goose Masquerade had managed to pin down.

Her sister had it’s back pinned, but it was clearly still thrashing, and Redd saw it lifting it’s head to attempt to peck at the weight holding it down.  With a growl she came in from the side and snagged it by the neck, shoving it’s head back underwater and shaking it for good measure.  Between that and the water, it wouldn’t be long before they had a meal to share.

if you want to wrap this feel free! Otherwise I can fade it out with my last post <3
Pledged
Shadewood
840 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Every successful hunt involved violence, though this was more like pandemonium. In the end, though, the two young she-wolves managed to slay the goose and drag its soggy body to shore, wings spread so wide that it seemed even larger in death than in life.

Masquerade stood panting for a few moments, then felt a stinging sensation on her shoulder. She craned her head to inspect a gash there, which she licked carefully. She supposed the goose must’ve pecked at her. She glanced at its bill, which looked far too dull for such a thing, then shrugged.

I’m more tired than I am hungry. Help yourself. I’m going to catch a nap. I’ll eat what’s left when I wake up, Masque said to Redd, stretching out beside the water, smiling as she added, if there’s anything leftover.