Redhawk Caldera this love is killing me, but you're the only one
414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
All Welcome 
He finally found his father's scent off the edge of the caldera, and went as far as the borders, moving up the slope into the trees. He was excited but nervous.

@Bronco had found a mate. Just as Fennec had. Except, presumably, Bronco was still with his gal; Fennec was not.

He wondered, as he stood at the border, how much he'd tell.

That could wait, he thought.

Killdeer howled, calling for his father and perhaps his mate (@Teya) with him. He stood expectantly, shifting his forepaws.

set to Feb. 28
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
SONNNNNN powerplaying Teya with permission <3

Bronco had had his head against Teya's side, and was listening to the soft gurgling and stirring of their growing children when his son's voice called out for him. He waited a moment, flicking one ear in one direction, while keeping the other on his wife's stomach; it brought a strange feeling of delight mixed with apprehension to be able to hear all of his children at once. His whiskers twitched as he smiled and he pulled his face away so that he wouldn't be tickling Teya's belly. The last thing he would want to do would be to cause a premature birth because he'd tickled her into labour. 

"Will you come with me?" He asked gently, his tone soft, allowing her to deny the request if she chose not to, for any reason. He knew she would be giving birth soon- but thus far, she'd been dealing with her pregnancy beautifully. 

He knew it might not be the best circumstance for Killdeer to meet Teya, but he wouldn't hide his wife away from his son, either. He felt Killdeer was mature enough to understand, and he suspected that Fennec and whoever it was she was seeing might be expecting kids sometime soon as well. He'd hoped that Killdeer might come for a visit sooner, but he knew that the Imperator wouldn't easily let him go and visit, mainly because of the reputation Bronco had made for himself. Now, it seemed, the brutish pack leader had loosened his grip a bit, and had allowed Killdeer the freedom to come and see his Dad for the first time. 

His heart leapt in his chest while he and @Teya walked toward the borders. Once Killdeer came into sight, he smiled, and allowed his tail to wave, beckoning Killdeer to come closer, meet them halfway so Teya might not have to climb too much of the hill. "Hey, Varmint," He called out. Optimistically, he hoped Germanicus had given Killdeer leave for a few days at least- and that this might just be the beginning of some actual quality time they'd get to share together. Maybe the kids might even arrive while Killdeer was here!

"I'm glad your old Imperator finally gave you leave to come visit, I've wanting you two to meet for a long time," He said. He wouldn't rib his son too much, though- he was only trying to be dutiful to his pack. "Killdeer, this is my mate, Teya. Teya, this is my son, my varmint- Killdeer." He looked upon both with shining adoration. 

And he wished he could simply keep them both together, with him, forever.
Brecheliant
Raven*
1,149 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Fisher
it wouldn't be long at all. teya found such a specific bliss in how bronco tended her with utter tenderness, and often she couldn't keep from comparing it silently to her first marriage, how she had felt so overbalanced by both pregnancy and reyes' refusal to cope.
reyes. a pang raced through her spirit.
the call that rose was familiar, if only because killdeer had once shown up with caracal, and bronco asked her to accompany him. he was thoughtful with his pace, and eventually, sides greatly rounded, she came to stand in front of killdeer again.
"hi. it good to meet you." formally anyway. now a new anxiety rose: would he recall that, how — awkward it had been?
and the fact his friend's dad had been with her at the time.
[Image: zTO57rj.png]
414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
His call was greeted by not one but two wolves, and he straightened as Bronco emerged with a beautiful, cream-coated woman in tow. This must be the new wife, he surmised, and Killdeer gave them a smile, even as his belly churned a bit. And she was—

Oh. Very pregnant. Right. That was a thing that was probably going to happen.

Hey, Dad, he replied, traveling up the slope to meet them at his father's gesture. His eyes were fixed mostly on her, though, and a strange sense of deja vu had come over him.

Ignoring the stuff about Mereo for a moment, he added, It's good to meet you. Except. . .you look familiar. We must've met before, right?

Maybe all pretty women looked the same.
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
He'd anticipated their meeting being at least slightly awkward, given the fact that Killdeer likely hadn't expected to meet Teya mere weeks before she gave birth. But he was glad that his son was at least willing to come and meet her, and give her a chance. The last thing he wanted was for his son to treat Teya the way that Sorana treated him, but they were two very different wolves, even though their lives carried some parallels. 

He looked to Teya, allowing her time to recall any previous meeting, while he considered the possibility himself. Reyes was a link between the families, he knew. There was a chance, of course, that Killdeer had met Teya through Reyes- given the fact that he was Caracal's Dad. He wasn't sure he'd told Killdeer that Teya had been the wife Reyes had chosen after he'd left Towhee- but it wasn't something that he felt was important, now that she was with him. He spoke little of Fennec to anyone anymore, nor did he know the name of the man she had moved on with. It felt better that way. The future was the only thing he could influence- and he wanted both Teya and Killdeer to feature in his. 

He gave Teya a small smile, tilting his head curiously. To him, Teya was unforgettable. So strikingly wild, and beautiful too; she was a gemstone whose cut had never been matched.
Brecheliant
Raven*
1,149 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Fisher
teya could tell that bronco held this meeting in extreme esteem. and so for him she meant to show off well, her gravid sides notwithstanding. "we have i think. once. you come to lake with caracal."
and so, she reminded him.
and so! teya hoped he would not remember, would not recall reyes.
a silence fell, one she hoped to dispel by focusing on killdeer. "you stay a while?" teya invited, tail waving softly through the air as she glanced between the boy and his father.
414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
It finally dawned upon him. Caracal, Killdeer, youngsters with no reason to be out on their own save. . .well, they had done so. A pretty woman. He didn't remember anyone else, but only because he had solely eyes for her. 

And now his father had shacked up with her. Cool. Natch. Right.

I see, Killdeer replied, giving a sheepish smile. I remember now.

Well, embarrassment was a terrible jumping-off point to his next topic. He let out a sigh and shuffled his forepaws, then returned his stare to Bronco, face serious.

Mereo is no more, he explained. Germanicus went off with a lover and the pack disbanded. My mom and I are trying to find a new place. And I thought I should let you know before we did.

His shoulders were so stiff, they ached. What would his father think?
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
It was likely when the two had met before, Teya had been with Reyes. But he didn’t feel threatened- he noticed the sheepish grin his son bore and raised an eyebrow. He wondered what his son’s first impression of Teya had been- and what he made of her now. The thought of his son appraising Teya as a beautiful woman wasn’t so strange of a thought, it was actually somewhat amusing. His wife had a face that could launch a thousand ships. 

His expression shifted to concern, and then to surprise. Germanicus had left his military ambitions for a lover? It seemed highly uncharacteristic of the man who couldn’t even allow a father’s love for his son. He snorted softly. Good riddance, he thought, albeit somewhat selfishly. 

Still, Killdeer sounded as though he’d been let down. He could do better than that pack- but he knew his son had taken away some positive experiences from it, and he couldn’t dismiss those. ”Sounds like a lot of change all at once. I’m sorry you’re going through that, son.” 

He’d made it clear that he and Fennec would be travelling elsewhere, which made his heart twinge. How far? He’d never approved of Mereo, but at least it had been close. 

Also of note- it was only Fennec and Killdeer. What about the man she was supposedly seeing? 

”I’ll admit, I’m surprised to hear that. Germanicus never really seemed like the romantic type.” He said, with a shrug. ”Any idea where you might be headed?” He asked.
Brecheliant
Raven*
1,149 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Fisher
this was interesting. first, this man who seemed to throw everything away for love. teya could see its romance while also being mindful of its destruction.
secondly, there was the matter of killdeer and fennec traveling alone. the raven's first instinct was to open brecheliant's doors for a time; the second was how odd and weird that would be, how much tension it had the potential to add just at a time she was about to be indisposed.
there was nothing more for her to say, and so she only turned her eyes with gentle interest on killdeer, encouraging him to continue.
414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
He sighed, but gave a grudging smile at his dad's reply, nodding in return. It had been a lot, though to be fair, it had been Fennec who'd been rocked a lot more by it.

And speaking of Fennec. . .

"Germanicus never seemed like the romantic type." Killdeer smiled ruefully. It probably wouldn't do to spill the beans now that Bronco's ex wife had shacked up with—and had subsequently been jilted by—the Imperator. Too long and winding of a story, anyway.

We dunno yet, he admitted. But. . . He cast a glance at both of them in turn, now, tail wagging slightly behind him. I'm hoping for it to be close. Close enough that I can pop by on a regular basis. If that would be okay with you?

He didn't think it wouldn't be, but it felt polite to ask. Packs being packs and all.
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
There were so many different facets to his life now, and not all of them shone when lined up with the same beam of light. In one part of his life, there was the home he had, and the new family he had with Teya and their soon-to-be-born children. He knew in his heart he had room for only one lover- and that Teya was the choice his heart had made, without faltering. It was the sort of partnership he had always wanted- where pasts could exist, but their intervention was infrequent. 

And then there was the part of his life where Killdeer existed- and in that part of his life, there was so much love, that it pleased him to no end to know that his son wanted to be nearby. His eyes shimmered, and his cheeks became wrinkled with smile lines.

The only thing keeping those two parts of his life separate, was the fractured past between himself and Fennec. It would be what kept Killdeer from seeing both of his parents together and happy; and he had to wonder if Fennec would even be content, living so close to her ex-husband. He hoped Fennec could finally forgive him, and allow her son to live in a place that he chose- putting her own grudges aside...But he didn't expect for that to happen easily. 

"I'd have ya here any day, as often as you want," He said, moving forward to give his son a hug, and nuzzle the top of his head, messing up the fur between his ears. He then stepped back. "Closenby sounds good to me. Plus, uh....It'd be pretty cool if you could swing by, y'know, 'cause uh, you're gonna have some new siblings pretty soon. You don't want to miss out on all that fun," He said with a grin.
Brecheliant
Raven*
1,149 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Fisher
teya wondered if bronco was jealous. 
"is fine with me, killdeer. i would like you to visit often."
her beam was swift and starlit.
but her mind: she and bronco had never spoken extensively upon fennec. suppose she — suppose she too came by? for what reason, teya could only guess. 
bronco spoke of new siblings. the raven wondered if it was too soon. but the young wolf before them wasn't a boy, not really. "i want you to know them," she said, hopeful that this time around her babies could have a connection with extended family. 
if you like, her eyes added.
414 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Everything was about the new siblings. It got under his skin more than he'd ever admit. Not wanting him here for his own sake—but his relationship with siblings. Made him appreciate his relationship with otherwise-childless Fennec more than other.

For his part, he gave the two an inviting smile. Of course, he remarked. I'm happy for you.

Would he see them as siblings? Maybe—no. He decided, no. He only wanted full siblings. Half-siblings seemed. . .off.

And he hated himself for it.

We'll let you know where we settle, he told the pair. It won't be far. At least, I hope it won't be.
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
He wanted for them to like each other, very much. He felt it was likelier that Teya might warm up to Killdeer, than the other way around- given that his son still imagine that his parents could live a happy life together. It was likely hard for him to see his Dad with his new wife, expecting more children- but he kept his chin up. Bronco was more proud of him than he could even articulate.

”You just let your old man know- we’ll make it happen.” He said. Hopefully, this time, he would not be treated like some kind of criminal at the pack’s borders. He still regretted his behavior at Mereo- but at the same time, he did not regret where he had ended up instead.

”C’mon Varmint, let’s getcha reacquainted with your old stompin’ grounds,” He invited, happy to get to bring his son in and give him a chance to relive some happy memories- and to get to spend some long-awaited quality time with Killdeer.
Brecheliant
Raven*
1,149 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Fisher
teya wasn't sure if killdeer seemed receptive to joining this part of their family. he wasn't a boy, he was a man in his own right. and she wondered if the way bronco spoke to him was predicated on that.
still, sensing her mate's eagerness to regain some semblance of normalcy between them, teya gave killdeer another look of vaguely familial invitation. "i need rest," she told them softly, assuming that perhaps the younger man would want time alone with his father. "it good to see you, killdeer."
they could find her later, or killdeer could. kissing her mate's cheek, teya set off quietly, belly swaying side to side in these last pronounced weeks of pregnancy.
Ghost
1,652 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Sitter
Master Guardian
He leaned in to Teya’s kiss with a happy, goofy grin- in part because that was his in his nature, and in part because he felt like it might make Milldeer feel less awkward to see in Bronco was being playful, rather than romantic. There was a balance to everything, and the love he felt for his wife still shone in his eyes as she went to rest. 

He then had a bit of time alone with his boy, and reached to pull him close, uttering a soft, happy chuckle that was half-growl, half sigh. It came to him has a relief, every time he saw his son. It meant he was still loved, in spite of it all. 

”C’mon Varmint. Where d’you wanna go first?” He asked, willing to let his son lead the way, fully willing to do whatever it was his son wanted to do so that he felt as much at home at the Caldera as he might have once before.