Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Birth 
Less than a day after losing little Narwhal, the pains returned. This time, they came in the familiar ebb and flow of labor. Compared to yesterday, this felt right, though the timing still frightened Meerkat. She paced across the ulaq, fretting that the other babies were also arriving too early and wouldn’t make it.

There was nothing to fear, in the end. Just after midday, Meerkat delivered a baby girl, then another a short while later. They were both on the smaller side, though not nearly as tiny as their brother. The one could’ve passed for Narwhal’s twin. Perhaps because of this resemblance, she found herself fussing over the youngest in particular, making sure she could breathe.

Eventually, Meerkat tucked her newborn daughters against her belly to feed and turned to @Njord with a bittersweet smile on her lips. She reached for him, her pale snout sliding along his cheekbone as she nuzzled against him. She was still sad about their loss, though these two little girls restored her hope and joy.

Can you announce the good news? Then I suppose we should pick names for introductions, the proud but tired mama murmured.

I wasn’t going to post this for a few more days but then I realized it’s International Women’s Day and this felt like a great way to commemorate that. Welcome to the world, @Orca II and @Seal! Please allow babies and dad to post first, then this is open to everyone.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Sun Mote Copse
Laird*
933 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Historian
Advisor
Therapist
After losing one child, Njord did not stray from Meerkat’s side. To prematurely bid farewell to their son was truly sad… but now, the seafarer feared a complicated birth and worried as his wife paced when her labor began anew.

"Dinna fash, luaidh mo chèile,” Njord encouraged her. He doted on her between contractions and played the role of the supportive spouse. Njord did his best to shutter away his troubles and turn his focus upon Meerkat – not wanting to feed the grief that grew around them like a long shadow at dusk.

Then, when Meerkat began to push… there was nothing for Njord to do but hold his breath.

The mewling cries of not one, but two, babies were like music to his ears!

The man was overcome with indescribable emotion and gave his wife a gentle kiss on her cheek.

“Aye,” Njord agreed. He stepped away from the den just long enough to sing a happy song that could be heard all across their mountain. Moonspear’s children were here, alive and well.

Then, he returned to the den and settled down. He laid with his belly pressed against Meerkat’s back, gazing down upon their new daughters -- taking them in. Their pink noses and toes. The dusky hues of their coats. The way they wriggled and fed. “They’re so bonnie, mo cridhe,” he said, admiring them and wondering what names could possibly befit such perfect creatures.
Members of Sun Mote Copse are welcome to join all threads and power-play Njord (excepting injury or death) for cohesion and continuity, whether or not he's an active participant in a thread. Just tag me!

Brecheliant
Family
299 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
She wasn’t and then she was.

The warm touch of her mother. The smell of her. The first taste of milk.

Seal was a small thing, but ate voraciously and thrived in this new world.

Pure love, happiness, and peace.
59 Posts
Ooc — ?
No one had told her not to go toward the light.

But surely this was the origin story of such a saying. She had gone toward it, and went straight to Hell. Orca II was an ornery baby who wailed nonsensically (oh! the humanity!) to any who might listen. Was anyone listening? What the hell had that light been? Back to the pit of darkness she was, but now she was both cold and alone. The new real estate was nice, but the cold?

She wanted out. And Orca II would be sure to inform everyone to never go toward the light when they saw it.

But then there was warmth, and that was... not so bad. Her stomach dropped rather suddenly as she was lifted (aaaaaa!!!! came her mighty roar mousy squeal), but the horror yielded a bountiful and delectable meal. Orca splayed her paws out on her mothers side and began to happily knead and smack her lips with newfound joy.

Alright. Ok. Yeah. This wasn't so bad. Add to that the sudden additional warmth of something familiar (oh, hello again @Seal! when the hell did you get here?! you've got to try this stuff), and Orca II decided she could get used to this.
Moonspear
Head*
who stole my toe?!
1,195 Posts
Ooc — aerinne
Missionary
Seer
Medic
welcome to msp's first babes! skippable going forward. <3

Sialuk did not stray from Meerkat's den, save to gather food and relieve herself. She worried more might happen to the children that still grew inside her sister. When she heard commotion in the den, just as the sun began to descend in the west, Sialuk kept herself even closer, ready to busy herself with assistance when it was needed. She gave the small family room, delighted when she heard the little whimpers of two small babes—two girls!

The starwoman breathed a sigh of relief. They appeared healthy, happy, and already they had found food. She smiled, weary eyes watching as they breathed alongside one another.
Atkan Aleut
MORE INFO
Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
She hoped as many would flock today as yesterday, allowing these two little girls to restore their hopes and lift their spirits too. Meerkat’s ears twitched as Njord’s voice poured over the mountaintop. She leaned back into his embrace when he settled behind her a moment later. They could both gaze upon their daughters this way.

They really are, she murmured happily, bending to nose at the crowns of their heads in turn.

She took a moment or two to simply breathe in their scents and marvel at their breaths. Swallowing a little thickly, she then drew her head up a bit to look at them more properly. One wore a black pelt with pale smudges that would likely become more defined as she grew. The other was a bit lighter, a slate gray that reminded her of Swordfish, along with the soft freckles that called poor Narwhal’s markings to mind.

As much as she resented the memory of Sapphique, Meerkat could not deny that, I want to give them names that fit with their brothers’, that was to say, in honor of the sea. Have you ever seen an orca? Maybe that would suit her. And it’s a family name too; I have a late aunt by that name, she mused in the next breath.

She kissed the darker babe’s crown, then tried to turn her head to read Njord’s expression in profile. Did he approve of that name? Would he like to name the other, the one who would always remind her mother of the sons she had lost? Perhaps that thought should make her sad, though Meerkat liked the idea that her daughters would both honor lost loved ones in a way.

Sialuk peeked her head inside the ulaq. Meerkat returned the pale Alpha’s smile, feeling a small touch of pride at birthing Moonspear’s first litter. She motioned for Sialuk to come closer or at least make herself comfortable if she liked. She was more than welcome here.

We were just deciding on their names, Meerkat said, then wondered, Did you see @Stingray on your way here, by any chance?

Anyone’s welcome to drop in anytime! There’s no posting order; I’ll just post a new round after everyone’s had a chance to post.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Moonspear
Councilor*
544 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Alaric was in the vicinity. He stopped by to lay gifts at the door of their Ulaq. Rumble a soft greeting and then he retreated to the outside. He wouldn't force his presence on them, but he wanted them to know he was happy for them and couldn't wait to meet them. He was already planning all sorts of adventures if Meerkat and Njord would let him when they were old enough. They could chase birds and rabbits. They could look at bugs and maybe even taste a few. The ones that wouldn't hurt them. All the fun things. It would be a good time. And he'd be less dangerous with them of course.
Sun Mote Copse
Laird*
933 Posts
Ooc — Lieu
Historian
Advisor
Therapist
If others arrived, Njord would regard them with a warm smile – thankful for this new blessing and the support of their pack.

But in the end, sea-colored his gaze would be stolen away, time and time again –  completely entranced by the two little blessings mewling at his wife’s breast.

And when their mother conjured a name, Njord blinked. “Ye ken tha sea wolf?” The coastal man was both impressed and surprised. Though the wounds Sapphique had scoured in their heat still stung, a large piece of Njord – and of their sons – would forever belong to the sea. He would have never thought to propose such a name, knowing Meerkat’s sentiments… but a part of him was glad. Touched.

“Tis’ a braw name,” he agreed. “Our Orca…” he tested. The small smirk of his lips telegraphed the father’s delight. “Welcome to tha world, wee one…”

As if not to be ignored, the other pup suddenly chirped in protest.

I am here! And I must be named!

Njord sighed a breathless laugh, amused by their daughter’s vigor.

“Then we must name this one Seal,” he recommended with a mischievous look. “Her dusky fur looks jus’ like one… a powerful an’ swift creature who dances tha wheel o’ life with sister Orca.” The duality of their name was not lost on him. “An’ sometimes… a seal ventures away from its ocean onto land an’ becomes a selkie.” Much like their journey to Moonspear.

Njord kissed Meerkat’s cheek. Alaric’s scent was nearby. Sialuk was close. All was well. And he was happy.
Members of Sun Mote Copse are welcome to join all threads and power-play Njord (excepting injury or death) for cohesion and continuity, whether or not he's an active participant in a thread. Just tag me!

Sun Mote Copse
Lady*
1,934 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Coach
Master Therapist
Master Ambassador
Sialuk hadn’t seen Stingray, though Meerkat knew he wouldn’t be far. Knowing he would come soon to greet his little sisters, she let her attention drift back to them as well.

Narwhal, Meerkat whispered their son’s name, then continued in a louder voice, Orca and Seal. You are so loved.

Her eyes flicked upward when Alaric popped in to drop some gifts at the door. Meerkat smiled at him before he retreated, her gaze lingering on the sliver of world she could see outside the ulaq, still waiting for Ray’s sunny face to materialize.

In the meantime, Njord kissed her cheek. She angled her face into it before slanting her snout to press her nose to his jaw. Meerkat then dropped to brush her nose over the girls’ foreheads. She drew in their babyish scents and kissed their tiny, wrinkly faces. She was so happy they were here.

She closed her weary eyes and thought not only of their ill-fated litter mate but also of Swordfish and Vixen. Three of her children weren’t here. But the other three were. Meerkat wouldn’t for an instant take that for granted.

I wanted to move this along and get it wrapped! I’ll leave it up for a bit so others can post if they like before it’s archived.