Akashingo
Erpa-ha*
902 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Chaplain
Missionary
Private 
the voices indeed did echo.

senmut did not linger beside the doorway; he went at once in search of the new soldier @Atreus, catching the newest when he had come back from answering pharaoh's call.

"you have the unique opportunity to have your loyalty in immediate demand," he told the boy, eyes boring into the young face. "i am posting you at her doorway. do not leave her for any reason unless the medjay bayek is there to take your place."

the roman boy, too attached. bayek, useful but closed. and he did not know sanguinex.

atreus then could be truly cultivated for makono's purpose.

"pharaoh calls me for the day's report often in the evenings. you will be relieved at those times to eat and to rest."

senmut must tighten the palace around her now. khaba had begged to return and now see how he turned upon their divine one, rejecting her orders, displacing noble children. nobility built a kingdom.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
Atreus paused to listen to the howl. His eyes squinted and he frowned, thinking, Who the hell is Jodie? He was still puzzling over it moments later, when Senmut materialized in front of him and started issuing commands.

The young Mazoi stared, blinking every so often. He did not interrupt. When Senmut finished, he pondered his words for a moment before formulating a response. He had about a thousand questions, though Atreus would start with three.

Whose doorway? Who is Bayek? What’s going on?

If I misunderstood any of the details in your post, just let me know and I can revise! :)
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Akashingo
Erpa-ha*
902 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Chaplain
Missionary
<333 perfect!

senmut's eyes hardened. what did pharaoh see in this little fool with no contextual abilities?

"the man who ruled this place before your lord left its politics in a sad state. pharaoh makono intends to put things right, and so far it has meant purging loyalists to another time, those not suited for her reign."

"bayek is another of her guards. i want a rotating set between the four of you, so that pharaoh is never left without a protector."

he waved atreus down the hall with him. "do you understand that your ears must be kept open?"
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
Senmut gave him a look. Atreus’s ears pulled back uncertainly, wondering which of his questions had prompted it. Perhaps all of them. Well, he needed to know if he was to understand his orders.

The term “purging” earned a blink, though he was too afraid to ask what that meant, exactly. The entire situation sounded so… political. And largely it all went right over his head.

But he did have a better understanding of what was being asked of him. Senmut wanted him to guard Makono’s door, in rotation with other Mazoi. Although it wasn’t the most exciting task, he nodded his acknowledgement. He always took to his assignments like a duck to water, plus he did not mind the thought of protecting Makono.

Yes, sir, he found himself saying.
I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Akashingo
Erpa-ha*
902 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Chaplain
Missionary
senmut was still left with the sense that atreus did not truly understand the magnitude of what was before them.

"good. a guard to the pharaoh is not only a guard. you are an advisor, a companion, a spy, and a sacrifice if necessary." something thin hummed about his mouth. "her priests are no less. remember that she is divine, mazoi. guard her as if you had watched the gods create her very vision."

he stood back then, crisply. "i may summon you from time to time, to tell me what you have heard. but i expect after today we will be rid of betrayers."

his zealous eyes warned the young man not to be among them.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
Senmut outlined the parts he might be called upon to play. Atreus wouldn’t call himself particularly great at any of those things, though he would be happy to try. He nodded along at each role—advisor, companion, spy—but froze a little abruptly at the last one. A what now?

Before Atreus could fully compute or ask what was meant by that, Senmut drew back, clearly intending to disembark on some other errand. Atreus’s lips parted but pressed together again at another severe look from the Hem.

Atreus could only offer, Protect Makono, by any means necessary. Got it.
Akashingo
Erpa-ha*
902 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Chaplain
Missionary
"by the balls of Set, stop uttering her name aloud." the priest's tail switched. "you refer to her as pharaoh. am i understood, mazoi?"

senmut did not leave at once. "she enjoys your company," he said, not to assure but to punctuate. "she shares a similar age but she is your lord as she is mine. show her goodness, atreus. but respect all she has done and given to earn her titles."
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
Rather than depart, Senmut rebuked him for using Makono’s given name. This must be one of those customs he hadn’t quite memorized yet. In his defense, Akashingo had an entire culture all its own that Atreus was pretty sure would take months to fully comprehend.

Oh, he acknowledged his mistake. Then, Understood. He felt completely at home, at least, in the role of a soldier taking orders. I’ll protect Pharaoh, he amended with the appropriate reverence.
Akashingo
Erpa-ha*
902 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Chaplain
Missionary
senmut had no patience and no defense for interlopers. outsiders. 

but for all of that, atreus would do well, he felt. 

"if you have more questions, i will answer them. come to the place of the priests at any time. or join me in the morning atop the mesa, for morning prayers to Ra."

"but for now, go. stay with her." and here he dismissed the young guard.
451 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Ranger
The invitation surprised him, if only because Atreus had a feeling Senmut didn’t like him very much. He didn’t say that, of course. His eyes brightened a little at the thought of climbing the mesa, though otherwise his expression remained neutral as he nodded.

Yes, sir, he repeated, turning to do what was asked of him and only then realizing he didn’t know the location of said door.

Despite the Hem’s offer, Atreus would not risk another reprimand by asking. Instead, he would do his best to find his way. Failing that, he would ask one of those helpful coyotes that tended to hang around the halls.

Thank you the kudos, btw! :)
Akashingo
Erpa-ha*
902 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Chaplain
Missionary
<33!

a goodly young servant.

senmut hid his snort of derision and left off. there was nothing to be gained by slighting the boy. let him be educated as well as fed in their halls.

all for pharaoh.