Pledged
Shadewood
820 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
All Welcome 
As much as she adored her new siblings, Masque found herself struggling with the memory of their birth. She respected her mother greatly for going through pregnancy, labor and delivery, but seeing it all with her own eyes made the young she-wolf all the more certain she never, ever wanted to go through it herself.

Furthermore, seeing the way @Ashlar engaged with the pups shook her belief that all of this was women’s work. That was probably for the best, though, seeing as she felt herself pulling away from that identity once more. Masquerade might not be able to change her genes or her physiology, though that didn’t mean she must identify with the feminine.

Today, they dragged the carcass of a wild turkey to @Avicus’s whelping den. They dropped the dead hen at the door, then woofed to announce their arrival. They squinted through the doorway, trying to make out the little bundles of joy. Masque could see @Redsky and the twins (@Fifth and @Mulherin) squirming at their dam’s breast.

Tags are invitational, not obligational, although I would looove a thread with baby sibs! :)
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Redtail Rise
Ulfr
Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
The firstborn of the litter, his odd eyes still hidden, was sleeping at his mothers side, unaware of the movement around him. His ears were still down and unable to pick up sound really so the woof didn't wake him.
899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
she barely registers the identity of the wolf, only the prey they bring with them. like someone straying too close to a Sarlacc pit, she snatches the turkey by the neck and begins to consume it, heedless of feathers and bones and innards.

only when she's cleaning the blood from her mouth and spitting out down does she stick her head out toward Masquerade, blinking at the change in light.

'hhank you, Avicus says fervently. the quartet nurses just as fiercely as her last litter, and with one more of them to feed, she finds herself more drained than ever before. the turkey will do wonders.

she lifts her chin in query. every'hhing okay? she asks, casting her snout in a circle around them to indicate all that question encompasses—the Rise, the wolves on the Rise, goings-on outside the Rise. . .

she hasn't had much of a chance to look into things in the last few days, after all.
but see, amid the mimic rout,
a crawling shape intrude —
a blood-red thing that writhes from out
the scenic solitude
Redtail Rise
Berserkr*
211 Posts
Ooc — April
skippable!

There were only two things the dark boy prioritized:

1. Sleeping.

2. Eating.

Those happened to be the only two things he really knew either. 

The conversation exchanged by his older sibling and mother alone failed to stir him as he had drifted off, engaging in Priority 1. At his age, his hearing was not developed. Anything loud enough to register with him sounded as if it were underwater. However, his main sense, touch, enabled him to feel his mother's movement, which was enough so to bother him. What was she up to?

The answer, though unclear to him, presented itself. The youngling squirmed as pinfeathers from her meal landed on his small, dark form. One of them squarely on his nose, prompting a dramatic sneeze—right on his littermates.
[Image: 3-F65-E08-A-A70-E-4-B2-A-BE3-E-C6805-BA727-B2.png]
Pledged
Shadewood
820 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
Avicus snatched the carcass and dragged it inside, making quick work of it. Masquerade decided not to tempt fate by coming any closer, content to lurk in the doorway while the Wealda fed. They couldn’t see much, though their eyes fixed on the little blobs latched to their mother.

After polishing off the meal, Avicus questioned Masquerade about the goings-on around the rise. The Ulfr considered the question. They hadn’t strayed very far from this den site, so far as they knew, all was well. There was no reason to think otherwise.

Yes, Masquerade replied simply, then mulled for a few seconds before adding, I’ll check in with the others and report back if—

A small sneeze interrupted them. Masquerade blinked down in amusement, wondering which pup had made the noise.

The other two are welcome to join in anytime!
MATURE CONTENT WARNING: Graphic violence is a common theme in this character's threads. Reader discretion is advised.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Redtail Rise
Ulfr
Young Hunter
79 Posts
Ooc — Ryder
His brother who was next to him stirred, waking Redsky. Then something else happened. He was barely able to register the sound but the feeling of his brothers sneeze particles hit him, making him squeak a bit. He squirmed around trying to rid himself of this feeling and go back to comfort. His little limbs flailed around some, probably hitting his littermates and mother
899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
Masque's report is interrupted by one of the brown blobs sneezing, which brings her abruptly into the land of, oh, these are actual beings, not just strange things stuck at my breast. she brings her muzzle down to soothe the first boy, the one black as night, who's now disturbed.

gives a soft, sibilant sound, hoping that he'll feel the vibration in her mouth even if he can't hear yet.

goodh, Avicus says, weariness apparent in her face. a long pregnancy with the biggest litter she'd delivered to date. she's undoubtedly tired, but the restlessness hasn't hit. 

not yet, anyway.

you look af'her Augur'hh wife? she asks, cocking her head slightly. was it just filial duty that Masquerade stuck around, or did she truly have an eye for caregiving?
the scenic solitude
Pledged
Shadewood
820 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
They watched silently as Avicus soothed the newborns, ears flicking forward to catch the croon escaping the Wealda’s throat. It was a little peculiar to hear their mother make such a soft noise, though a smile curled Masque’s lips. These tiny, helpless puppies would soften just about anybody.

When Avicus redirected her attention back to the Ulfr, they nodded and answered, Yes, I bring her food when I can, though admittedly their mother had been much more of a primary focus, especially lately. Augur looks after her, they added ponderously.

Masque knew the Wealda likely wanted that report sooner than later, though they were reluctant to leave just yet. They settled forward into a sphinx-like pose, eyeing the youngsters. They yearned to reach out and touch the pups. They looked so soft.

How often do they feed? Masque wondered.

It seemed like every time they checked in, at least one of the puppies (if not all four) were latched on to Avicus like ticks. Judging by the drawn look on their mother’s face, it was as draining as it looked. Masquerade would be sure to bring meat around as often as possible to sustain her, though there was something else they were curious to know.

Can you leave them, if you need a break? Even for just a few minutes?

I saw the notes about skipping the pups, though please tap me if I’m ever posting out of turn.

Redtail Rise
Ulfr
54 Posts
Ooc — Van
The fifth of Avicus’ children hated nothing more than to be woken up. She was quiet for the most part and easily soothed by a squishy teat, but damned be anyone who moved enough to wake her.

Two of the children squirmed, unsettled by something or other, and their blind, deaf, dumb sister quickly became infuriated by the sudden jostling. This was not a worse occasion than the times when their mother would stand up and briefly depart, but the fifth child would see to it that this didn’t come to that.

She began to throw a tiny, herculean fit, whimpering and whining and jutting her mighty bug head about as if she had been unjustly struck; her cries demanding complete stillness and utter obeisance.

cameo! <3
899 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Warrior
Deerstalker
she gives a gentle nod, pleased. Augur's been a good father to his extant pups, and she has no doubt he'll parent this next litter just as well. and, of course, to serve as father figure and mentor to this swarthy quartet. . .

noh' long, Avicus replies, shaking her head. if 'hhey are ahh'leep. an' are bein' wah'hed over. Reki has stepped into the babysitter role, but she supposes her daughter could, as well.

the thoughts that had occurred to her throughout the last few weeks were finally coming to fruition.

we needh a wolf goodh wi' care, she says, gazing seriously upon Masque's crimson visage. noh' a healer, buh'. . .one lookin' af'her puphh. Caru.

the wolf or wolves who'd served in that role in Bearclaw Valley had, in all likelihood, saved her life, shielding her and Aventus from her father's madness and propensity for bloodshed. and Masquerade, by her presence and help throughout the pregnancy, has proven herself several times over.

she cocks her head. will you?
the scenic solitude
Pledged
Shadewood
820 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Midwife
Sitter
Master Tracker
“Watched over…” Masque glanced up at their mother’s face for an instant, then looked down again. One of the puppies began to fuss. Gently, they craned forward to nudge the infant with their chin.

Their head raised at Avicus’s next few words, lips parting. So there was a term for the role Masquerade had been craving for some time now: Caru. Masque’s heart thumped gladly in their chest, thrilled at this formal recognition of their calling.

Of course, they breathed, tail thumping. Of course I’ll help you look after them, mother. Eyes falling to the four bundles of joy, their older sibling promised them, I’ll watch over you.