Stavanger Bay everyone, step aside; this is the last warning
la llorona
Health - 0% (0/100)
483 Posts
Ooc — Moosebrawn
Her pride at being called his was soon interrupted by the appearance of the first of his gifts. Stark white spots stood out against a cinnamon base, dazzling Doe as much as the flashing pinpricks of lightning bugs in the summer. This, though, was not a myriad of far-off insects. This was something she could hold and touch, feel bristle against her tongue.

She did not hear Szymon's words, so intent was she on this new and perfect prize. Uncertain paws picked unconsciouly through the sand, and a scabby nose brushed the brilliantly painted canvas of fur. It even smells beautiful - blood and mint, tart lemongrass, saltwater...

"Thank you," said Doe, eyes turning at last to the giver of this fine gift. "I've never..." never touched something to precious. "Nobody's ever given me something like this," she murmured, strange emotions rupturing the unconscious wall that always separated Doe from the real world. Once again, Szymon had envoked in her that strange clarity, and she saw herself as if from far away, watching from another's eyes as her own gazed deeply into those of her love.

"Oh," she breathed, realizing - for the first time - that she loved him. She loved him; would do anything to make him feel the way she felt right now. All at once, she was ashamed for the way she so often treated him - as though he were something put on this earth to serve her, for her own entertainment and pleasure. Here and now, for this moment only, she saw him as he truly was.

A pale wolf, streaked with ginger and cream. Yellow eyes, filled with the kind of selfless compassion she would never achieve. Scarred face, battered body - offering fur and meats won by his own skill and power. A burgeoning confidence she could kill or encourage as easily as she breathed.

I don't deserve you, came the unpleasant realization. Your esteem, this affection - it's all so misplaced. I'm not the right girl to trust. I just take and take and never give, and you deserve someone who will treat you the way you've always treated me.

Selfishly, she kept this thought to herself, hoping he would never discover the truth on his own. Instead, she promised herself that she would do better, be kinder. The next time gifts were exchanged, she would have something to give to him in return.

For now, she pushed her muzzle into his fur once again before proceeding to fawn over the loody meats he'd presented to her. It really was a treat - so much easier to justify eating land-food when it was a gift than when it was something she hunted down for herself. Doe savored each and every bite, and then insisted upon Szymon sharing in some of the tastier morsels.
Messages In This Thread
RE: everyone, step aside; this is the last warning - by Doe - July 31, 2016, 04:00 PM