Bearclaw Valley you'll have to watch me struggle from several rooms away
i will pry his bony fingers free
1,207 Posts
Ooc —
indra's hackles rifled high along her spine and haunches, and she pulled back her lips once more in a snarl at how obtuse the insubordinate wolf was being. indra drearly wanted to wring out the last bit of non-obeisance from reigi, but a white pall overcame the duo and stayed her hand.

xan.

instantly indra stepped back and folded her ears, lowering her muzzle dutifully. her hackles were slower to lose their flared sharpness -- if only because truly, her fur was still put at end by this wretch's bold irreverence.

and then she saw reigi do the same -- submit.

a loud scoff sounded from her clenched jaws: so reigi did understand hierarchy - she just refused to acknowledge indra's rank above hers. surely xan would have caught that. surely he would understand then the reason there was just an ugly current between them.

indra was tired of this wolf's feigned stupidity, of her outright hostility towards laurel and her for no discernible reason, of her flagrant disregard of her ranking position -- xan seemed oblivious, but indra knew a spade when she saw one. she knew the girl was nothing but trouble -- and would continue to be trouble, because in indra's eyes, xan seemed incapable of disciplining his star pet.

all of this showed in the sorry cynicism in her expression as she looked from reigi's prone form to xan's authoritative one. this was truly, genuinely stupid; she knew if this wolf existed in duskvale, or in larksong, that her lack of observation of pack hierarchy would have her torn to shreds. saena would have thrown her to the wolves - literally. instead, this insubordinate wolf was routinely and systematically protected by xan - an action that undermined the pack's social fabric, and ultimately, undermined her.

indra wasn't going to wait for xan to finger-wag at reigi. in indra's eyes this wolf had committed the unspeakable: she had many times been aggressive to another pack member, challenged and defied their rank, and then had disappeared for days with no explanation. in indra's eyes, she was not worth re-welcoming into the fold any longer.
now the wren has gone to roost and the sky is turning gold,
and like the sky, my soul is also turning.
Messages In This Thread
RE: you'll have to watch me struggle from several rooms away - by Indra - February 25, 2018, 01:49 PM