Northstar Vale i've delivered us to where we are
the oath
207 Posts
Ooc — Siro
Taking some liberties here, but feel free to ask me to change anything if it involves your character. Trying to keep things vague, too, since the bear thread isn't complete.

Nursing a twisted left shoulder and a few minor scrapes, Rian still manages to keep pace as his brother leads the pack away from the Valley and up into the foothills of the Sunspire Mountains. He takes up his usual place at the rear of the caravan and finds he is settling well into his expected job as enforcer and sentry. If any of their group were to try and deviate too far from the path (special mention to Titmouse and Redshank here loveyouguys), they would be met with a warning growl and a heavy look of disapproval. The incident with the bear had shaken him and he was unwilling to let any boundary testing slide until they were well and truly in the clear.

As they slowly filtered into the glade that would serve as their stopping point for the night, Rian let out a sigh of relief. His shoulder burned with the effort of climbing the foothills and, though he'd never admit it, he was in sore need of a rest. But he wouldn't, not yet. He shifted his weight onto his front right paw, flipped his ears forward, and began to take stock of their number to make certain everyone was accounted for. There was Rannoch, looking down on the landscape below—Mato, quiet but sincere; Liffey, always near; Cypress, of course, a constant splotch of void among the lighter members of the group. 

But Rian's mental notetaking was cut abruptly short as Rannoch's tone of voice caused a zap of anxiety to race down his spine. He blinked, tensed, and turned his gaze towards his brother with a frown. Dimly he was aware of Cypress, and knew the silver-kissed yearling was feeling that same dread. There was something about the slackness of his mouth, and the slightly wide-eyed look he gave them all that gave Rian further cause for alarm. But what came next, however, stole the breath from his lungs. Driven forward by the excitement swiftly pouring from Rannoch's mouth, Rian plunged into the heart of the group and passed between the wolves to draw up quietly beside his brother and Liffey on the overlook, leaving room for Cypress to join them.

Spread out beneath them was a veritable paradise—lush and green, surrounded on most sides by a nearly impassiable spine of mountain and rock. There came no musk of pack boundaries; no indication that it was inhabited at all. Most importantly, it was walled off almost completely from the outside world. A vale. It took him a moment to realize: it was over. Presumably. There was still investigations to do, places to scout, and markers to make. He worried Rannoch might be getting ahead of himself, but this was the first stirrings of hope he'd experienced in many, many months. It was infectious.

But they needed to be wise, and Rian was willing to put his voice to it. He swung his head a few inches towards Rannoch without looking back to the others, "It looks perfect, but we need to make sure there isn't any hidden dangers: tainted water supply, or a large family of other predators..." He said softly. But, oh, he wanted to believe. Blind faith, however, was not something Rian was predisposed to. He needed fact, and there was no better way to discover that than by doing.
As ruthless as it all may seem the wild cares not for the weaker beings.
Messages In This Thread
RE: i've delivered us to where we are - by Liffey - May 16, 2017, 06:09 PM
RE: i've delivered us to where we are - by Rian - May 16, 2017, 06:12 PM
RE: i've delivered us to where we are - by Redshank - May 18, 2017, 12:08 PM
RE: i've delivered us to where we are - by Airi - May 18, 2017, 05:27 PM
RE: i've delivered us to where we are - by Tryp - May 20, 2017, 11:43 AM
RE: i've delivered us to where we are - by Dublin - May 21, 2017, 11:42 AM
RE: i've delivered us to where we are - by Cypress - May 21, 2017, 11:38 PM
RE: i've delivered us to where we are - by Pyro - May 22, 2017, 01:19 AM
RE: i've delivered us to where we are - by Kaori - May 22, 2017, 06:10 PM
RE: i've delivered us to where we are - by Rian - May 26, 2017, 04:41 PM
RE: i've delivered us to where we are - by Cypress - May 27, 2017, 01:07 PM