Ankyra Sound imma toss my hat in, floss when the track spin
Sapphique
Sandstone
hold the dark
158 Posts
Ooc — Van
Despite an evident discomfiture at the topic being turned back to him, the younger Eyjolfur was kind enough to fill in a few blanks for Svalinn as he tried to get to know his nephew a little better. He gave a small wriggle of his tail, conveying his gratitude and urging the wolf to say as much as he saw fit to give.

No mate, no children. No shame in that. His lips, typically set like carved marble into a grim expression, turned upward in understanding. Svalinn hadn’t had either of those at Val’s age either, and he’d never particularly wanted them, if he was being honest with himself.

But more than this, Val still had family. A lot of siblings, he said – adopted, so to speak, but siblings nonetheless. Svalinn might have related to this if he knew about his own adoption. But this was one thing Caiaphas had taken to her grave. Ever selfish, ever greedy, he had belonged to her and her alone.

He could, however, relate to never having known a father. Not that he had ever felt a need for one. His mother had simultaneously raised him as a golden child and instilled in him the belief that his given sex was inferior in most cases. It was a strange dichotomy, but he had been comfortable in it: feeling that he was the best of all males yet beneath every female. To him, it made sense for it to be this way.

Svalinn wanted to apologize for the things Val had never experienced, but it felt like a moot sentiment. Life was just like that sometimes. Instead, he said, I’m glad you have your mothers and a home that you love. I’m sure it’s all Raleska wanted for you, even if she couldn’t give it to you herself.

Both of their gazes fled in that moment, both of them swimming through a medium so thick it felt like it would solidify at any moment and encase them forevermore for all to see. But Val, buoyant even in his lowest moments, sought to bring up Svalinn too, with a question about Caiaphas. The goldbruise snorted, almost laughing.

Well, if by ‘gobble up’ you mean ‘adopt and brainwash,’ then yeah, she was definitely like that. His tail even wagged a little, recalling a lesson he’d received from the black-capped hauntress. Y’know, she told me once that if I ever came across any lost children, I should bring them to her. I never did, but I probably would have, given half the chance. She certainly had a way about her that made it easy to do whatever the fuck she said. A siren, through and through.

She was like the sea in wolf form, he went on, trying to paint a broader picture of the wolf who shared Val’s blood. Unpredictable as the waves. Mysterious as the deep. Terrifying as the waters at night. But still a great provider and a vicious protector. He sighed, content to remember her as he always had. Always would. Though I imagine she was always keen to take a good deal more than she gave, just like the sea, it made her a survivor, and I never minded it. She gave my life purpose, made me strong… I was lost for a long time after she passed.
Messages In This Thread
imma toss my hat in, floss when the track spin - by Val - January 13, 2023, 08:57 AM
RE: imma toss my hat in, floss when the track spin - by Val - February 01, 2023, 10:11 AM
RE: imma toss my hat in, floss when the track spin - by Val - February 11, 2023, 02:56 PM
RE: imma toss my hat in, floss when the track spin - by Svalinn - February 25, 2023, 09:45 PM