Stone Circle Let's go back to the start
a line from a song
257 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
her mother had been gone for far too long...and the girl was none to happy about it. she had been waiting by the den mouth, her sister nowhere to be found, yet she still harboured a resentment against her ever since she'd snapped at her, though in all truthfulness she didn't remember why exactly she felt this way. she told herself that she didn't care, that she was fine. but as she lay sprawled in the den mouth, exhaused as evening set but too nervous to fall asleep, too cold without the warmth of her mother and sibling.

she sighed, and a tiny whine escaped her as she waited.
and waited.

until the evening was upon them and she had to squint into the gathering darkness for any sign of movement, feeling suddnly very alone.
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Steady had several strong emotions running through him as he trotted towards Althaia's den. He had wanted to track the scent of the murderer and rip them to shreds, but there were more important things at the moment. Althaia's pups were now orphans, and Steady, being the ever responsible one, felt the need to take on their care. 

He slowed as he approached. His eyes, already being accustomed to the dark, spotted Keoni immediately. Hey, Keoni, he greeted softly, trying not to frighten her. Is @Nikai around? He asked. Povided she allowed him, Steady laid down beside her, though left about a foot between them. Should she want to snuggle against him, he would gladly let her. He knew he would have to tell her what happened, but for tonight, he hoped he could settle their minds enough to sleep.
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~
Feel free to tag Steady if needed. Unless otherwise asked, all threads are AW.

a line from a song
257 Posts
Ooc —
she was feeling very small when a movement in the shadows caught her attention, she leapt to her feet eagerly, a word on her lips. but when she saw the figure and realized it was not mama, but Steady, she slumped, the word lost before it had even been uttered. he lay nearby, and after a moment of looking to him she stepped closer, sitting on her haunches and leaning in his side as she looked to him, disappointment still rife in her gaze. Nikai? She did not know.

"I see 'm...'for" she said in a softer tone then her normal exuberant voice. How long ago, she could not tell, but she hadn't been paying attention. "Where mama?" she asked him, the thought on the forefront of her mind and not likeley in the least to simply be shoved aside. But he was a warm lump as her mother was, and she took comfort in this as she yawned, displaying her little rows of tiny sharp teeth. She was hungry, and tired, and a little bit nervous, yet Steady alieviated her lonelyness.
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Wordlessly the boy approached, large eyes staring up at Steady. His questioning eyes requested the answer to Keoni's question. He hadn't been there to see their mother dead or their sister gone. "Ammy 'n Azy?" he queried softly, and he nosed Keoni's shoulder comfortingly before sitting down close to her.
The only rock I know that stays steady, the only institution I know that works, is the family.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
He didn't miss the disappearance of hope in her eyes when she realized it was him. He figured she would have been looking for her mother. But, he didn't take it to heart. At seven weeks old, it was expected that the number one wolf in a pup's life would be the Mom. He nodded slowly to her reply about her brother, outwardly brushing it off, but inwardly worried that he, too, might be missing. 

Keoni momentarily distracted him with the question he should have been expecting. He opened his maw, not knowing what he would say, when Nikai's appearance distracted him, and happily so. The boy seemed okay, not as if he had witnessed his mother's murder. But, he, too, was wondering where she and their sister were. Steady looked between the two young wolves, who would have to learn such a hard lesson at such a young age. He thought about giving some excuse to put it off, but Steady wasn't a liar. He sighed, looking up to the clear sky, as if it would give him an answer. 

But, it didn't. So, Steady turned his gaze back to the pups. I'm sorry, but your Momma got hurt, he explained softly. She got too hurt, and isn't able to come back. He paused there, waiting to see if they might understand, to the best their growing brains could, or if he might have to explain more.
~I am a wolf. It's my nature to be kind, gentle and loving. But know this: When it comes to matter of protecting my friends, family, and heart—don't trifle with me, for I am also the most powerful and relentless creature you will ever know.~

a line from a song
257 Posts
Ooc —
her brother was there, beside her, and she smiled at him affectionately. he too asked of their missing mother, and of hazel. there absence unerved the girl, and she looked to Steady eagerly, awaiting an explaination with hopeful eyes. however, what he told her she did not expect. she could not comprehend. mama was hurt? hurt was bad. already her expression fell, yet at his next words her expression grew bewildered. 

seven weeks. that was all the time she had had with her mother, yet it felt like forever. only recently had she even begun talking, understanding, and now this. her brow furrowed. mama was hurt. too hurt? that was bad. gone? mama couldn't be gone, mama always came back, didn't she? "gone?" she echoed back desolately, looking at Steady with a bewildered, upset expression. what did he mean?
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
'Gone' wasn't a word that Nikai had learned yet. He had heard adults say it to each other, but never to him, and he did not fully grasp its meaning. When Keoni echoed the question he tilted his head in question, not understanding what was going on. But between all the words, he knew that something was said about his mother — she got hurt, and she was not able to come back. Gone. That must be what the word meant. When someone got hurt and they couldn't come back again.

Nikai sniffled, but he knew he had to be strong. Not because he thought he had to be, but because instinct dictated that he needed to unburden his family. Even if Keoni was his only family left, he would unburden her. So instead of crying or sobbing he pushed his nose above her head with a soft-spoken "Oonie...", softly snuggling the fur behind her ear, pressing her head into the nook of his neck in case she needed the comfort. Because even though he was not entirely sure what all of it meant, he knew that mama wasn't going to come back.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
Steady wasn't generally one to hide his feelings. He felt with his whole heart and soul, and something like that was not easily squashed. And, so, it was no surprise to himself that tears would begin to well up in his eyes, and begin to overflow as the pups looked to him for confirmation. But, he wasn't just crying for them, or Althaia. he was finally mourning the loss of Niita and Ezekiel, as well. It had been easier to push back those feelings, as patrols and protecting the pack gave him something to focus on. But, here, in front of tiny eyes that held confusion, and a trust in him, he could no longer ignore it. 

He nodded slowly. Yes, she's gone, he confirmed, his voice low and soft. He moved his head to reach for Nikai. He was trying to comfort his sister, but Steady knew he would need it, as well. He moved to Keoni then, trying to give her a warmth that was now missing from her life. 

While he had just delivered some very bad news, Steady knew there were technical things that needed to be dealt with. Like, who would care for the pups and where they would stay. Steady always felt the responsibility was on him, since he had taken Althaia and her pups into this home, and considered them family. Would you two like to come sleep in my den? he asked softly. Should they refuse, he would simply remain here. As he had the den all to himself, it didn't much matter to him where he slept. 

a line from a song
257 Posts
Ooc —
Sadness. the emotion was almost tangible, and thick in the air. she whimpered, but did not cry as the implications of the word gone became clear. she did not cry, for her brothers caring prevented that. she snuggled against him as she looked to Steady as he spoke again.

"mhm" She agreed softly, not wanting to stay here any longer. but a thought occurred to the girl and she could not ignore it. "Ette come?" she asked, blue eyes wide as she gazed up at Steady. she had grown to like the hunter a great deal, and now drew comfort from the fact that she must still be here. she stayed near her brother, his gentle, caring ways a great comfort now. she sniffed, expression downcast in the extreme, yet still not grasping the situation fully, beside the fact that her mother was gone.
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai nodded, though there was a hesitance in his motions because he didn't fully grasp the gravity of what they were agreeing to. But if Keoni would come, then he would come, too. At Keoni's question, the boy glanced up at Steady questioningly, wondering the same thing. He was not as fond of Valette as his sister, because he didn't know her very well, but Nikai was an inclusive youth and as far as he was concerned, the more wolves the better. Especially if it was someone Keoni liked being with.
1,066 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Guardian
The pups seemed to be okay with the idea of going back to Steady's den, though Keoni asked if someone else was coming. Steady's ears perked, then swiveled as he tried to figure out what she was saying. Ette? he said aloud. After a quick moment, understanding dawned in his eyes, and he smiled. Valette! he said, waiting for her to confirm.

He gave a nod, I'm sure Valette will come to visit you, like she does now, he said, not understanding that Keoni might want the Beta around in a more permanent capacity. Alright, let's head to your new den! he said, trying to lighten the mood as he moved to start to lead them in the direction of his den. 

a line from a song
257 Posts
Ooc —
That Valette might come to was a comfort to the bewildered girl, and she moved to follow Steady without complaint, exhausted. She yawned, displaying rows of needle like fangs, and stuck close to her brother where he might go. She would do whatever Steady asked of her, until she could finally sleep.
529 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Nikai followed compliantly, not too fussy either way. He wondered where their mother had gone and he missed her, but he knew they needed to go somewhere now and he, too, was growing tired in the wake of all the sad things that had happened today. Nikai glanced back one time as though he hoped that his mother and Witchhazel would appear, but they didn't and he turned forward, following Steady to the den and to their new home.