Redhawk Caldera And my nose is froze
783 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Master Ranger
As much as she was aware of the danger of being outdoors during this terrible stretch of weather, Liffey couldn't help herself after dragging the carcass inside to turn right around and go back out. Her family needed a nap perhaps (and she probably did too, come to think of it), but she wanted to explore the aftermath of the overnight blizzard a little more before retiring. After all, the worst of the heavy snows had passed. It wasn't like any more would find a way to fall down on them from above, so she felt perfectly confident as she headed towards the center of the Caldera, wanting to get a better look at the frozen lake as it was buried beneath the snow drifts.

Upon arrival, the young wolf had done her best to stay back from where she believed the water's edge to be. It was difficult to tell where exactly that spot was now, seeing how covered the lake was. She could only spot the darker blue-gray plates a number of yards further in from where they usually were, which she found fascinating and nerve-wracking all at once. She circled the area for a few hours, even daring once to walk out over it before the faintest sound of cracking made her scurry back to safety. Even so, with so much ice littered about from the ice storm, it may not have even been the lake that she'd heard. But Liffey, breathless with excitement, would tell Lagan and Gannet that it had been the lake cracking beneath her paws for sure. And they would be excited and think how cool she was, and then they would swear together to never EVER tell mom and dad.

A wide yawn had stretched her jaws and sent a shiver along her already trembling spine when Liffey turned and decided to head back home. She'd been gone far longer than she'd intended already and could only imagine the trouble she'd be in. As she started the trip back, her mind was already working on exactly the wording she'd use to tell the boys about her adventure. Only when her eyes lifted at the sound of distant rumbling did her mind cease to think of anything at all and she stopped to stare as the side of the Caldera broke apart and came sliding down to the base of the slope in a colossal cloud of white.

The little Blackthorn didn't understand what she was seeing at first, and so she stared blankly, almost thoughtfully as the avalanche began. But soon enough, her shivers from the cold turned more violent as fear drove them instead. Without thinking, Liffey sprang forward in the snow and ran as quickly as the deep snow would allow towards home, panic causing a strangled howl to wrench free as she moved. She didn't understand fully what was happening even then, but instinctively she knew that it meant danger for her family, and so she ran as hard as she could as the snow clouds settled in the distance.
if I knew where I was going, I'd lose my way.
~•~
Messages In This Thread
And my nose is froze - by Elwood - January 27, 2017, 03:13 PM
RE: And my nose is froze - by Liffey - January 28, 2017, 09:20 AM
RE: And my nose is froze - by Elwood - January 31, 2017, 09:13 PM
RE: And my nose is froze - by Liffey - February 04, 2017, 01:47 PM
RE: And my nose is froze - by Elwood - February 14, 2017, 01:24 PM
RE: And my nose is froze - by Liffey - February 19, 2017, 11:36 AM
RE: And my nose is froze - by Elwood - February 20, 2017, 09:33 PM
RE: And my nose is froze - by Liffey - February 26, 2017, 06:00 PM
RE: And my nose is froze - by Elwood - February 27, 2017, 09:32 PM