Dragoncrest Cliffs Labradorite
Did someone say plants?
526 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
backdated for around feb 15th! i never got an official pregnant portia thread <3

though the wolf in question was still very clearly portia, she appeared to have doubled in size! granted, she wasn't that big, but her frame was so petite and her fur so short that any sort of weight gain was very noticeable. it was most easily pointed out by portia herself, who complained daily to dio about how fat she looked. it probably would've been annoying, but she couldn't help but follow up her complaining with a handful of coos and whispers about the fact that she was officially pregnant.

after urinating (something she did often) the soon-to-be-mother sprawled herself up on a boulder nearby the lake. it was chilly still, but the worst of the cold had passed and the sun felt quite nice against her fur. her eyes were half open, gazing out over the lake contently.
green text signifies trigedasleng.
[time & tide]
479 Posts
Ooc — -
Guardian
Warrior
WELL since this looked lonely.. u get him
He'd caught a squirrel mostly by surprise and was able to fell the red-furred rodent with ease, so with the small carcass hung slack in his teeth, he'd stop for a quick lunch break while it was fresh. Since had nothing out on their fringes demanding his attention otherwise for the time being (peace was maintaining these days, thankfully), he trotted towards the lake the instant he noticed Portia's scent meandering that way. Since there was no other company he'd rather share, or business elsewhere for at least a while, the rest of the trail was covered quickly. He moved up alongside her sunning rock next to the lake, perfectly picturesque, with a slow wave of his tail.

A piece of him felt bad for interrupting the tranquility of the moment at all. "Room for two?" he asked quietly after setting the squirrel at his feet. He gestured vaguely to it in offering, although it was not much. It was still fresh and she'd put it to better use than he would, anyway.

Did someone say plants?
526 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
YAS bae

the sound of footprints caught her attention, but it wasn't until she heard dio's voice that her eyes opened fully, her head turning to face her lover's. her summery gaze grabbed his, blinking a few times as she stared through dark lashes at him. after eyeing both him and his offering, she let out a defeated 'hmpf!'

"well," she whined-- though she began to scoot over-- "there's hardly any room with all this fat." her tongue poked out of her mouth, eyebrows furrowed in frustration-- though it was hard to tell if she was truly upset or not. after a few heartbeats, she lowered her head, her chin laying against the warmed stone. "i guess i don't mind the company though, hun," she added, a small smile playing the corners of her mouth.
[time & tide]
479 Posts
Ooc — -
Guardian
Warrior
After he'd asked, she edged aside so he took that as a go-ahead to move in and get comfy beside her.  He picked up his squirrel and muffled through it, whined softly to her complaints as he couldn't help but glance past her face for her rounded sides, which reminded him to splay his ears again. Soon they wouldn't just be two here and while a daunting realization all of its own, he was anticipating it more than ever before. 

Setting the snack on his paws, he distracted himself from it by nosing along behind her ears, grooming gently. "Aw, well I will try not to take up too much space because my lunch break could use some company, too," he smirked quietly into her coat, for although she fussed about her size, he was not complaining -- her petite build wasn't going to be overruled just by a baby belly to him. He might not have known the most about pregnancy and the like, but as much as he could tell, she seemed to handle it well enough aside from some obvious qualms here and there.. and at least she never seemed outright ill because of it.

The pale wocha  knew she was uncomfortable growing the babes like this (because who wouldn't be?) so he could spare to be a little extra sweet just between the two of them to try to make up for being the one to help her get like this. "It's not much, but it is fresh -- want any?" he asked, nudging the meat with his forelimb. "I can bring something better later if you'd rather not, because this one just kind of fell into my paws, so I couldn't really say no.." he chuffed, but would understand if she'd prefer something meatier of course and he'd do what he could to make sure her wants were met.
Did someone say plants?
526 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
truthfully, portia needed that extra sweet, desperately. she loved dio whole heartedly, and knew he felt the same about her, but these babies had her in such a ruffle that the extra-effort calmed any nerves that the hormones brought about. she had no time to doubt his affection for her, since he was so kind and loving every moment he could be. she let out a soft sight and nuzzled her head beneath his chin. "thank you, hun," she murmured, staring at the thing with a small smile, "this is perfect."

a quick 180 had her giggling, her tail tapping against the ground happily. "i'm eating for two," she purred, turning her head to face him, "or maybe three... or four... or five..." her brows furrowed as she trailed off. "that's a good many," she muttered thoughtfully, though she didn't appear bothered in the slightest. then, she dipped her head and took a bite of the warm meat, thankful he'd given it to her. she was hungry most of the time now, as compared to her rarely ever hungry before the pregnancy. after chewing the meat daintily and swallowing it, she looked to her mate. "wildfire says that it's a family tradition of hers to name their children after animals... and also to wait a month before they name them," she shared, feeling it was a solid conversation, "did your family have any traditions like that, dear?"
[time & tide]
479 Posts
Ooc — -
Guardian
Warrior
He rumbled softly to her thanks, and would still probably make sure to drag home something a little nicer — at least prey he put real effort into felling. She deserved that if he could find it, and so far, he'd always had no issue rounding up a meal to catch here by the cliffs after their relocating. His ears perked up while she listed the possibilities, though, of how many he should concern himself with feeding. Hopefully it wasn't too many.. he thought. But, all good reason to do well by them all, her and however many others would soon come of it. "Exactly why only a little old squirrel is hardly an appetizer.. just in case it is that many." Dio smirked. But, again, hopefully not.

As for family traditions, Wildfire's had him shaking his head gently. "A whole month? Hm. I'd be worried about embarrassingly descriptive nicknames sticking around if it took that long to name them.. But no. Not exactly like that, really." In the Rise, the closest thing to a family experience he'd ever reference in full (before now), puppies were a largely traditional matter. It had seemed standard procedure to him. Nothing fancy. They'd always named puppies in a few days to a week — once they appeared good and grounded in this world, for a delicate little life like that.

"I never knew my father by any more than name and my mother left me alone when I was pretty young so, nothing I'd honor pups with names of or anything. And I have no idea what exactly they had in mind when they went about having and titling me," he sighed. Since he had heard of wolves borrowing names of family and such and neither did he have any idea of lasting traditions on their behalf, it didn't seem to apply to him much. "A few of my offspring at the Rise.. they had — or were going to have — -io in their names, because there it was pretty custom for pieces of parents' names to pass on if it fit nicely. Vicario, Montorio, Giovanna.. it varied like that," he clipped his jaws shut, wondering at the faraway-feeling memory. "I thought that was kind of nice sometimes." Maybe just something to think on. "Did yours..?" he returned.
Did someone say plants?
526 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
she nuzzled him fondly, letting out a soft purr. she appreciated everything he did, but this squirrel was all she needed right now. she took a small bite of it, falling silent and still as he began to answer her question.

you could tell portia was listening by the way her eyebrows furrowed. her gaze stayed glued on his, but her face ran through a million thoughts-- very clearly written upon her freckled face. part of her expected him to say no, and it was clear in the immediate raise of her eyebrows and widening of her eyes. dio had had children prior to this-- she knew that, but she hadn't heard him speak much about his family life. he didn't seem to be attached to anyone anymore, save for the occasional hint of what portia always assumed was guilt and regret-- she wasn't sure why she'd felt that way, but it was just what she'd always heard in his voice when he talked about his past.

it wasn't, per say, a tradition, but it was something, and portia noted that. if it was something he'd done before, and maybe wanted to do again, she didn't mind it. his question earned an unladylike snort (followed by a furious blush across the bridge of her nose) and a shake of her head. "the women in my family have a knack for naming the other women ridiculous names... frilly, froofroo... just ridiculous names," she responded with a small laugh. "but... if we have any boys, i think i'd like for them to have part of your name. maybe they'll turn out just as handsome as you."
[time & tide]
479 Posts
Ooc — -
Guardian
Warrior
It had never been an issue to him in the past that his puppies could, and would, never know his parents. His pack structures were always just as secure as he imagined they would need to be. The Rise had nurtured its share in its time, and here and now, he had high confidence that Drageda would do just the same. He, too, was in a far better mindset to be a proper parent (or a semblance of one) here than he had been at his point in life at the Rise where his interests had pulled in a great many directions. That already selfishly made him think it would only tilt further in their favor; their litter would have him, Portia, and the rest of the pack.. so there were few worries on that regard.

He felt his brow scrunch when she told him about her side of things with the ridiculous names. "Well I guess that's one way to do it," he said, glad that Portia had made it out from such things unscathed— as far as he knew. "I'm sorry but I can't imagine naming anyone Frilly in good conscience," he snickered. It sounded a lot like one of those bad nicknames he'd thought about when Wildfire's family's ways had come up, but to have it be intended that way? Not his style. "I mean.. there are plenty of names that still have a cute feel about them without being.. entirely ridiculous. I like when it can be distinct.. and simple at the same time," he thought out loud.

But, boys. His boys, and the thought of sons that looked a like him wasn't so bad. He was vain enough to appreciate it and excited about this whole prospect. "Hm.. that could work. I'll think on it. Odds are favorable that they'll have no shortage of good looks, though.." he added with a nod, even if they didn't take after him or bear any piece of his name.
Did someone say plants?
526 Posts
Ooc —
Medic
dio seemed to think the adjective she'd mentioned was an actual name, but she didn't correct him. for christ sake her mother named her portia-- and don't even get her started on her twin sister. though portia did grow to love her own name, and truthfully it fit her quite well, she knew her mother had a knack for something a bit more prissy than she herself would choose for her own children. the names might as well have been frilly.

portia giggled, lowering her head to bury it in her soft, pale chest. "you dog," she teased, though accepted the compliment with open arms. she was the first to tell you that she thought she was quite the stunner, and would only turn away the compliment in playful banter. "what if i had a litter of all boys, and they all looked just like you," she began, eyeing her mate playfully, "and then i named them lavender, poppy, marigold, and magnolia." she snickered.