The Sunspire there were floating flocks of small white swans
v e r i t a s
436 Posts
Ooc — thalia

for a moment, they were united in quiet happiness; no words were needed to bridge the divide between them that closed seamlessly, with an ease that she could not and would not replicate with any others of her family. it was her mother the withdrew, with the same kind of grace that she'd always found herself in awe (and envious) of as a child. she too had come to move with her mother's ease, and while she was largely her father's daughter, there were many careful aspects of her mother that she grew into more fully as she matured. 

somehow, her mother knew of the scars that ringed her throat like some macabre necklace, even before she could offer explanation of their lingering presence there. "we are his mistake, mother."  anger burned in her still, and she could not resist the ugly words that burned their way up her throat. "he told me I was beautiful, told me of all his sacrifices, and told me to forget him so he could love his bitch, guilt-free." the fire faded, falling slowly back to curl up in her heart. she did not regret the words, yet hated the way their ugliness marred their reunion. she could not comprehend how she had admired him so, once, but she supposed it was easy for a younger version of herself to be swept away by all his empty words.

her mother moved to prod at her, and the girl managed a wry curve of her muzzle. "I'm alive yet; I must be doing something right." she avoided the question of prayers, for she'd never had much faith in her mother's gods, something that had only increased after the darkness of the wood. their dark gods rivaled her mother's in every way, in all their twisted madness. besides, there was no sense in trusting in something she could not see; it had not been the gods that had had her leave the shadowed Wolfskull. no, that had been her own doing.
That is not dead which can eternal lie. 
And with strange aeons even death may die.

Messages In This Thread
there were floating flocks of small white swans - by Olive - February 27, 2018, 09:29 PM
RE: there were floating flocks of small white swans - by Cassiopeia - March 05, 2018, 07:45 PM