Mudminnow River it will break my heart to go against your wishes [m]
you're the unbreakable heart
948 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Laurel dropped the pelt to the ground, exposing the meat within, as she looked at Merrick. This wasn't how her plan was supposed to go. He'd never eat it now, with her there. Laurel considered turning and running, and hoping that he would eat it, but why would he if he knew that it was hers? Oh, my foolish girl, your plans are already foiled again. Laurel's posture was guarded, her hackles raised and her tail too, but she did not hold an arrogant or dominant posture. She wasn't here to fight over turf or rank. She wasn't here to fight at all. But it looks like you don't get to decide how things pan out once more, my dearest.

Her worst fear bubbled from his lips, and Laurel felt a rage within her stir. She'd tried to rush Sequoia and Witch and Druid, tried to make them see that they didn't have much time, but nobody listened. She was at their mercy, forced to be friendly to them every single time because they were helping her out, but in the end it made no difference. Even her only friend didn't come to her aid when she most needed it. Instead, she disappeared during her trip to search for help, and her worthless traitorous child followed suit not long after.

It left Laurel no choice. And there only seems to be one choice, doesn't there? Iliksis' voice whispered in her ear, and she could feel his hot breath on her neck. You almost did it once, my dearest. She remembered the way that Merrick's throat was within her jaws, ready for her to tear it out, when her head began to swim and she passed out. So close you could taste it. Death upon her tongue. What she could not do to Iliksis she could to Merrick. Because you saw that he had our child. My child, she murmured softly under her breath, not so loud that Merrick could hear it.

And now?

Now, she did not have a child to fight for.

You have nothing, my dearest Laurel.

She had nothing left. And it was precisely that what made her fearless today.

You're a filthy liar, Laurel said coldly as she stared straight into Merrick's single eye. It was colder to peer into as the hollow void that he had on the other side. There was only madness inside. You might've killed them for sins they didn't commit, but they would never heel to someone like you. Abel was too stubborn, and Indra was too perfect. Even now, it was easy for Laurel to conjure Indra's perfect little face, with her single white ear. So precious and beautiful. She hated to think the dreadful fear that she must've gone through being with Merrick for even a single day. The things he must've put her through. How slow her death must have been. Iliksis' voice was cold now, too. If he had eyes left to stare into Laurel was certain they would've been as cold as Merrick's.

Laurel stepped forward and headed in Merrick's direction, closer and closer, calm and collected, almost as if she was a different wolf altogether; not the cowering that she had done all her life — for what was left to live for, and therefore, what was left to fear? — and neither the rash anger she had held. Her lips curled up as she closed in on Merrick, waiting to see if he had any last words left to say before their teeth would clash once more.

I told you I would make you strong, my dearest. I told you I would give you the strength to retrieve them.

Her eyes were cold now.
Messages In This Thread
RE: it will break my heart to go against your wishes - by Laurel - March 18, 2022, 10:20 AM