Redhawk Caldera lying on the couch just chillin in my snuggie.
2,311 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Advisor
Master Coach
Finley smiled at her son's comedic conclusion, but it wasn't entirely satisfying to her. She suspected (perhaps erroneously) that he still thought it all a bit of a joke - far less significant than she was attempting to impress upon him. But, he was young, and he would learn in time. Hopefully not in a way that caused him heartbreak. Otherwise she'd have to choke a bitch.

Or.. a dick?

Her brows lifted only slightly when Lagan posed his final question. It took her by surprise, there was no doubt about that. But her reaction was a quiet, thoughtful one. Homosexuality was not a bizarre, derranged or uncomfortable thing for her. She had known many to take lovers of the same gender, including her best friend and Lagan's uncle. She had not ever judged him or anyone else for their attraction, even though she had never felt that way toward another woman. Considering all of the fairly radical ways she had sought enjoyment and excitement in her life, she simply couldn't fault anyone for what it was that made them feel fulfilled and happy. Truth be told, rubbing up on another woman would probably have been less insane than say teasing a venomous rattlesnake for fun.

But still. She was a mother and she had always seen in her son the desire to have children of his own. The twinge of pain she felt in her heart over hearing this news was not at all for the connection he felt to one of his own gender, but for what it meant he would never have. Fin had always deeply appreciated the fact that her children were such perfect amalgamations of herself and Elwood. Every piece of them was some bit of one or the other, swept up together to create this entirely new and unique being. Liffey, with Fin's fire and Elwood's logic. Lagan, with Elwood's kind heart and Fin's humor. Eljay.... was a mystery, but he did look an awful lot like them both. Lagan would never be able to create children like that - perfect mixes of himself and the one he cherished most. Not if the one he cherished most was equipped with the same parts.

"There are ways of connecting with anyone. Being the same gender doesn't limit the way you can connect physically, or emotionally, or anything," Fin replied, wanting to be honest, "But having babies with another boy just isn't possible. Boys can't get pregnant - only girls. It takes a boy and a girl to make puppies. Two of the same gender just don't work." Again, Finley was lacking in the science behind it all. Hell, I don't even know how exactly she knew this for a fact at all, but we'll call it instinct. In any case, she was certain in what she told him.

"Which isn't to say you can't have kids. I mean, look at the firebirds - your dad and I didn't create them, but they're ours just the same as you and your siblings. Maybe you could find a surrogate - a female to mate with that would have pups for you, and you and her and your boy could raise them together." It wasn't the same. But what Fin had said about the firebirds made her realize that it really didn't need to be. Yes, the kids she and Elwood had made together were incredibly special and it was amazing to see them grow into unique combinations of the two of them. But it was just as amazing to be handed kids without a drop of your own blood in them and love them just as fiercely and proudly as if they too had black stripes stretching all the way down their spines.

Messages In This Thread
RE: lying on the couch just chillin in my snuggie. - by Finley - July 28, 2017, 09:12 PM