Heron Lake Plateau machines just got workings, and they talk to me
1,002 Posts
Ooc — Houkie
Midwife
Master Medic
Raven knew Finley was hot-headed sometimes, but she’d never really been on the receiving end of that side of her aunt’s personality. Now that she had, though, it changed the way the healer looked at the elder Blackthorn. She knew she wasn’t everyone’s favorite Redhawk. She was not as courageous, outgoing, or ambitious as her numerous other siblings were. She didn’t really have an exciting story to tell, or big dreams, or aspirations of greatness. She just liked plants and healing people. She wanted to settle down and have some kids, and leave all the adventuring and bravery and leadership to someone else.

But she’d always sort of hoped that maybe there was a little respect for her in there somewhere. Finley’s cold, casual dismissal of Raven’s pregnancy and newfound happiness with Quixote was all the evidence she needed to understand that Finley didn’t give two shits about her. And her refusal to lead alongside Raven and Quixote made it pretty clear what the Blackthorn thought of Raven as a leader.

A sour taste filled the healer’s mouth as these black thoughts ran through her mind. His comments about doing whatever they wanted brought a halfhearted grin to Raven’s lips. So much for worrying about having a few puppies, eh? He went on speaking, and she found herself agreeing with him. She had no idea how they were going to handle all of this, but the good thing was that at least they had each other. And Towhee. Quixote’s uncertainty gave her a measure of strength as she replied, ”We’ll figure it out together. You’re braver and stronger than me — the pack will follow you. And I know them. I’ve tended to their wounds, shared their secrets, and helped raise their children, so they’ll trust me. We’ve got this.” Towhee was not wrong when she’d said they’d make a good team. Each of them possessed skills and qualities that, combined, could bring the kind of stability and strength that the Redhawks needed. ”Towhee’s going to be our beta, too. She might not have been a perfect alpha but she’ll be a great beta.” Allowing a chilly edge to creep into her voice, she added, ”So we don’t need Finley and Elwood.”
Messages In This Thread
RE: machines just got workings, and they talk to me - by Raven - May 16, 2018, 11:03 PM