Phoenix Maplewood A record year for rainfall
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Desna watched Reek claim the meal for him and his mate. She watched with a soft sigh as they ate. The teenage girl's ears hung a bit luckily Luna sat next to her but it gave her little comfort. She wanted food. Desna watched at after the alpha pair the middle ranks started eating. It was followed by the lower ranks.

After they had their fill the girl who loved food approached the carcass. There as little left and with the surrounding cold none of it was juicy and warm. Desna struggled on the tough meat that was left. No right on juicy organs. The teenager felt a bit played. She had worked so hard for this meal and she had gotten the left overs. In this moment she missed her sisters, no one to share her fate with. Her ears fell back looking at the carcass with a pout before trying again to strip it from meat.
confidence, charisma, character
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
As the hunt wound to a close with Reek securing the killing blow, the injured Alpha female rose from her place on the hillock and limped down to meet the pack. Reek beckoned her forth and she approached with her head canted high, though her heart skipped anxiously. She was not at full strength and had hidden her face for many days—it was entirely possible that any of the females here thought they would make a better leader than she. She reminded herself that this pack was a dictatorship and that Reek would never allow someone to unseat her without good reason, but even so, she was careful to watch each woman as she stepped past and lowered her snout to the doe.

Presumably, nobody threw her down from her position at the head of the pack and she withdrew shortly, licking her lips. She hadn't gorged herself as she normally might have; her appetite was still shaky and eating too much made her rib ache something fierce. She settled some distance away, wincing as her side touched the ground, to watch the rest of the pack establish itself and feast.
Sometimes You Just Have To Believe
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
Spring padded over to Laika, sitting down, and showed her neck respectively as her leaders passed her by, waiting for Reek and Saena to finish their turn in the process.  As Reek and Saena finished their piece of the meal.  Spring padded up to the kill as the third most dominant wolf in the pack, as a Gamma.  Taking a smaller piece of the kill, wanting to make sure their was enough for every other wolf that ate after her.

Spring took a small bite of the deers hind.  Then padded back to her position next to Laika, sitting down once more, happily next to her best friend.  As the brown, cream and black female awaited the next wolf in line to take their turn after her.
Epsilon
Hunting threads: 3/5 Caregiver threads: 1/5
218 Posts
Ooc —
Lunar raised her head as the wolves went about eating their food, the doe getting smaller. She hadn't noticed Saena's nerves but then she didn't know the female very well. She would never have dreamed of challenging her, even with her Alpha injured recently she wouldn't last very long in a fight with her. It was obvious who had the upper hand. Saena not only had a larger,more muscular build,she had a pack full of supporters and an Alpha mate. She doubted the thought crossed any of the womens' minds. When it came close to being Lunar's turn she got up and moved off. There was hardly any food left, she wasn't about to take it from Desna. When she was older and moved up in rank she would be expected to follow the pecking chain. As it was,Lunar had a soft spot for pups. Even one's who were nearly grown and already had a trade. She decided to let Desna have the deer and go find something smaller she could eat on her own. With that thought in mind she paced into the woods.
I promise I will love you forever.
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Laika felt the deer falling from beneath her, and she leapt from its back. Her delicate paws hit the ground just a as the deer's lifeless body did. She turned to Reek and gave him a respectful nod, congratulating him, and all the pack, really, on the hunt.

Then, she caught Reeks signals and padded over to the side, sitting down on her haunches. She took the time to lap at her paws and clean up her muzzle, even though she knew they would get bloodied again. Once she was satisfied with just the faint stain, she lay down, the cold snow underneath cooling her belly fur. Her blue eyes searched the wolves for Spring, aiming to have her friend sit with her.

She caught sight of Saena approaching Reek and she watched with admiration. She always admired her female alpha, even thought she'd never met her. But she knew about her injuries and thought she was a very strong wolf. If she hadn't known about those injuries, she would have never guessed.

She then lay on one side, belly fur exposed. The adrenaline had finally drained from her body, and her heart slowed to a comfortable rate. She was finally exhausted.

After Spring took her share, Laika stepped up. She wasn't one to waste time, and took enough for herself, stepping back to her spot beside Spring. She lay the chunk of meat upon her paws, her jaw widening to take a bite.
all you did will be undone
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
Witnessing the pack moving like a well oiled machine was... Gratifying. Aside from the excitement of having the doe right in front of her and knowing they would soon be eating a warm meal, Tavi was thrilled with the entire experience of the hunt. She felt a twinge of jealousy as the doe veered out in front of Reek, and was wide-eyed watching the creature succumb to his will. The doe was swiftly dispatched, and with a look to her hunting partner, Tavi then bolted for the remains. She didn't know if Esaro was on her tail or not; she only wished to pile in with the others. As soon as she reached the still-warm body, she heard the warning growls issued by Reek and backed off without protest. She was hungry, sure - they all were - but there was an order to things.

When the body was released for consumption by the others, Tavi still hung back. She thought about retrieving a portion for Ukko, since he hadn't been present - there was a lot to go around - and then a spot opened up for her to dive in. She lunged for it, sinking teeth in to flesh, and began to pull apart a chunk of the exposed belly. Some went in to her belly, yet there would be some choice morsels saved for Ukko. Over time the pack would pull this doe apart and sequester bits of it throughout the territory too.
Hope is for presidents and dreams are for people who are sleeping
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
Free-for-all time! This thread will remain open until the evening of February 19th when I tack on a final and closing post. No post order or structure for this last bit, post as much as you want until the thread concludes! Thanks everyone for sticking around and making this a great Pack Activity!

@Saena @Spring @Laika @Esaro @Lunar Eclipse @Tavi @Desna

Together the alpha pair tore into the doe in an eager and hungry frenzy, pulling away the choice and quality cuts for themselves until they finally had their fill. Withdrawing shortly after his mate, Reek stole away to the sidelines and settled in beside her carefully, as to not futher inflame her injuries. Just the fact that she made it out to the hunt brought joy to Reek's heart, and while she had not been able to truly participate, he was happy just to have her near. Allowing himself to gently preen the fur at the base of her neck, Reek watched as the rest of the pack made their rounds with the kill.

One by one, they filed in in order of rank. Each taking what they could and enjoying the bounty that they had helped acquire. It was a beautiful thing to see the pack come together this way, Reek thought, especially after the chaotic and failed hunt that had taken place only hours prior.  

Curiously, when it came to Lunar's turn to enjoy the fruits of their kill, she refrained and instead set off into the woods without a word.  Reek's face was wrought with confusion, but he abstained from calling out for her.  It was her choice after all. With Lunar gone, it came time for Desna to pick over what was left. It was unfortunate, seeing as Reek respected the youth possibly the most out of his pack members (barring Saena, of course), but it was the natural order of things. He could see the frustration written across her tiny face.

Immediatly after she had finished, Reek rose from the spot and made his way toward the frustrated teen. Dipping into a deep play-bow, Reek hoped he would coax a smile from the girl. He hoped the rest of the pack would follow suit. With so much tension hanging in the air as of late, they needed a moment to cut loose.
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Laika finished her meal, her pink tongue traveling long her maw and swiping across her black nose. Blue eyes caught sight of Reek's playful manner. At first, she was surprised. She had never seen this side of Reek yet. Her tail thumped the ground with pleasure as she watched, tongue beginning to loll. Finally, she couldn't bare it anymore. She leaned over and swatted Spring hard on the nose, then jumped up with a playful bark. Her eyes were playfully challenging as she stared down at Spring. Then she turned and made her way towards Reek, tail wagging with glee.

She awaited Spring's reaction, turning around and bowing down just like Reek. She was ready to spring into a play-fight with her at any moment. Her tail wagged back and forth as she stood near Reek and the younger wolf. She had yet to learn that she-wolfs name.
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
Spring jumped back with a startled yelp as a hard white silverly object hit her stone hard on the nose, but Spring chuffed a playful laugh as she realized it was Laika.  Spring too sunk into a play bow tail wagging, finding herself more playful than she had been in a long long time.
Epsilon
Hunting threads: 3/5 Caregiver threads: 1/5
218 Posts
Ooc —
Lunar paused at the woods boundary when she heard the commotion,turning back to see the pack engaging in play fights. She smiled and wagged her tail at the sight but didn't turn back. She had no close friends amongst her pack to play with. She had Esaro and Spring but it wasn't the same. Spring was more of a colleague than anything. They were friendly but that was all,Laika was her friend. She couldn't picture herself running up and swatting Spring like Laika had just done. As for Esaro..they were friends she supposed. They weren't that close that she would do that though. So she turned back around and continued on her way. Pride for her pack's hunt and happiness for finally having a pack to be a part of making her step light.
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Desna had a hard time getting some meat of the carcass. Eventually she just let it be, but she looked quite gratefully at Luna who had skipped her meal. Desna watched her leave before continuing to get through the tough muscle. Eventually her hunger was lessened but she hadn't engorged herself. Not even close to it. One time she would. Reek came towards her when she was done, offering to play. Desna let her ears fall back for a moment. Not really wanting to play and grow hungry again. Yet, she also didn't want to reject the alpha male. He technically hadn't done anything wrong.

Desna looked at the two playing wolves she didn't know. Her eyes then turned to Reek once more, it was clear that she didn't not feel much for the playing. She was quite tired and still a bit hungry, which resulted in an annoyed teenager. Desna plopped back on her butt, scowling slightly. "It is unfair," she stated with a pout. "Why do I have to eat last? I worked just as hard! I'm a hunter! I have a trade and this is how I get treated?!," she let out, just wanting to let her frustration out. Maybe she just wanted to hear from Reek how unfair this whole rank system was. She could totally join the adults. She was close to an adult now anyways.

Teenage dramatics...
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
Tavi was peeling back a fleshy layer of skin, ready to nibble free a second chunk of meat before anyone could protest - but she heard Desna speaking, and gave pause. With a turn of her head, she saw the girl talking to Reek. The struggle that the girl faced was common for youngsters - even Tavi had been put off by the common rank-and-file approach when she was growing up, but she dealt with it. Desna seemed.. Softer, somehow. Not weak exactly, but less  push-and-shove than Octavia or her own brothers. Tavi shrank back from the kill and circled back to where Desna was sitting, plopping herself next to her and playfully, jovially, bumping the girl's shoulder as a sign of camaraderie. "Chin up, little lady. You did good."  She licked the warm blood from her snout and tried to pass a happy wolf smile towards Desna, glancing at Reek in case he was preparing to speak as well; but she continued carefully. "If you want we could do some tracking and hunting together? I'm not quite up to snuff - I think that was the first pack hunt I'd been apart of since home. I mean, my last home." Gulp. But they brought it down, so no harm in stating that. It would give Desna a chance to show off, Tavi the opportunity to learn, and maybe make everyone feel better.
Hope is for presidents and dreams are for people who are sleeping
1,343 Posts
Ooc — Ryan
Medic
The friendly wave of Reek's tail slowed, and eventually stopped after seeing that his playful advances had been shot down in the wake of Desna's frustration. His brow furrowed, not with frustration but from confusion, and his body slackened as he rose from his bow. The rest of the pack around him had all begun to engage in jovial play, but Desna it seemed would be having none of this.

Reek understood her frustration, because like all wolves who grew up outside of the Alpha's bloodline, he also ate last. But despite the pecking order, at least Desna commaded a level of respect from the pack that was surprising for a pup, and unheard of in Reek's situation. In time, she would have her place among them; high ranking and respected. But today, she was still a child.

Tavi quickly moved in to quell the youngster's frustration and as Reek watched, a thin smile spread across his features.  "See Des?" said Reek, cocking his head toward Tavi after her comment.  "We respect what you do for us and we're thankful to have you around. When you're older, I promise you'll have a spot among the best of us."
Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Luckily it seemed that Reek wasn't too offended with her deciding his offer to play. Tavi joined and even nudged her. Desna gave her a lick in return and curiously listened to what she had to say. It was tough to keep your chin up if you didn't feel appreciated. "Thank you, Tavi," she spoke. The girl liked the offer of hunting together. It also meant the pack order of eating would be less demanding. They could just eat together. Share a meal. Reek joined in and told her as well that she was wanted and that they were very grateful to have her. Having two wolves giving her a pep talk definitely cheered her up. Desna's tail gently started thumping. She just needed the little encouragement.

"Really?," she asked with a soft gasp and smiled more a Reek. "I kind of needed that," she admitted and looked gratefully at the two of them. She didn't want to be ungrateful but sometimes one needed support from others. "I will keep on working hard to earn that spot," Desna spoke with some new found motivation. "Thank you for cheering me up," she smiled and now showered both wolves in playful licks.
545 Posts
Ooc — Java
Last from me! Short and sweet.

Tavi didn't know what else to say. Nothing else seemed to be needed, so she fell quiet, passing a contented smile from Desna to Reek and back. With the hunt concluded - and Desna happy once more - it was time for the pack to pick the kill clean. With a friendly nuzzle of her nose across Desna as she turned around, Tavi headed back to the kill to secure some chunks for the caches.
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Laika barked and leaped at Spring, bowling her over and nipping her snout. Then, she turned and got off, settling down on her rump and letting her tongue loll. Her ear twitched and she turned to listen to Reek, Desna, and Tavi's conversation. She smiled to herself. If a young wolf in her pack had been complaining in front of her old Alpha, they would've received punishment, but Reek was layed back and understanding. Plus, the young she-wolf had a good reason to speak up. The pecking order was very much unfair, for sometimes the wolves of higher rank do less to help the pack, while the lower ranking members work the hardest, and do not get rewarded.
734 Posts
Ooc — Emma
Away
Spring padded over to her friend, Laika, once more after their miniature play session.  A wave a content feelings rushed over her as she sat next to Laika.  Letting her own tongue loll happily.

"That was fun."  Spring remarked contentedly.  She flicked an ear absently, and swish her tail enjoying this moment for what it was.  Hoping it to last as long as possible.

Last post from me.
362 Posts
Ooc — Amelia
Laika laughed, ears twitching as her attention was drawn back to Spring. Yes, it was very fun indeed. Laika enjoyed goofing around with Spring. 

"That was very fun!"

The she-wolf wished this moment would never end. Sometimes, the smallest moments were the most important, and this was definitely a jolly one.

This will be my last post here. ;)