Sleeping Dragon If I had a voice I could sing
89 Posts
Ooc —
Joining 
Lagertha wasn't sure what brought her here, to this land that was barren and where emaciated animals crawled over the bare dirt. The shield maiden paid no mind to what she ate, eating the small animals she could pick off. This usually consisted of fish, rodents, the odd corpse, etc. 

It was the border that initially caught her attention. The scent that clearly marked it as a pack, the first she had come across as of yet. The second was the plume of smoke curling into the air, it was natural not fire, its tendrils unfurling from the mountain itself. 

Lag stopped her course from its straight path, feeling a pull towards the pack territory. She wasn't sure why, but she knew she had to try seeking acceptance with this pack. Stopping outside the border, she howled loudly before her hazel eyes began to scan the treeline for any sign of pack wolves.
The Gods always smile on the brave women.
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
*recycles* :)

When Wildfire managed to capture a gosling near the river and drag it back home, she found herself drifting toward the commander's den. It was almost Pavlovian by now, this instinct to keep Thuringwethil fed during this period of little food. But the yearling caught herself, paused a long time to deliberate, then changed course. She climbed partway up the sleepy volcano, found a rocky roost and settled down to feed. She felt guilty for not proffering her kill to the Alpha, yet Wildfire simply couldn't bear to face her, nor even leave the carcass for her to find. She didn't even want the Heda to know she existed right now, so great was the mortification that had flowered in the days following her admission.

After she fed, the Delta sighed and stretched out on the sun-baked stone to soak up some of the June heat. She was still slender and bony, yet the small signs of returning foliage and game made her feel hopeful that she might survive this, after all. Maybe they all would, even the unborn pups in Gyda's swollen belly. Lying there, Wildfire let her thoughts drift to them as she wondered what role she might play in their lives. Her mind then strayed much further, to the little brothers she'd never met at the caldera. She wondered how her family was doing and vowed to make the trip again once she regained her strength.

A loud howl broke through the steamy afternoon quiet, causing Wildfire to sit up straighter, then push to her feet. Feeling energized from her meal and grateful for a distraction, the yearling crawled back down to ground level and trotted toward the borders. She did not fancy herself a guardian but she was an ambassador by trade. This might be a good opportunity to brush up on her rusty recruiting skills, even if the howl itself meant the job was halfway done. A small smile curved her lips at the thought and it was with this expression—as well as a slightly elevated head and tail—that Wildfire approached the stranger and wordlessly scrutinized her, the silence inviting her to state her name and purpose.
89 Posts
Ooc —
The Valkyrie dipped her head as another appeared, a rust colored woman who bore a small smile and slightly dominant stance. "Greetings to ya. I am Lagertha though many call me Laggy or just Lag." Lagertha introduced herself ffriendly, taking on a submissive stance.

"I vish to join your pack if ya find me acceptable. I can hunt but fighting is more my style." Laggy explained, chuckling lightly. "Are ya Alpha of this pack?" The shield maiden asked curiously, head tilting slightly.
with fire in her veins
262 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Gyda let out a huff. The babes were active and one of them had decided to kick her right in the stomach. It was strong enough to wind her for a moment and she paused in her trek to find the origin of the howl. She moved her head to the side and squinted at her rotund sides — had she been that big yesterday? — and spoke softly to her belly “Behave children,” with unbridled affection in her tone. Perhaps she should not be patrolling the borders. No doubt if someone decided to attack she would be a liability in her current state: she could not move like the Shield-Maiden she was. She was lumbering and had to take frequent breaks to relieve herself and to simply rest. Still, what was she to do? Stay in her den all day? Gyda didn't do well with being cooped up and she knew there would be plenty of time to be cooped up when the babes came into the world. She took their movements — and occasional abuse of her innards — to be a good sign. They were alive and strong enough to battle one another within her womb.

When her breath returned she pushed forth, a steeled edge to her gaze, her head and tail high as she approached the scene. Her eyes touched Wildfire first: a blaze of red against the backdrop and then it slid from Wildfire to the woman who had spoken, asking if Wildfire was the Alpha. “I reign here as Viking Queen.” Gyda spoke to announce her presence, recognizing the stranger's accent as a mirror of her own. Yet, the woman herself bore no recognition from Gyda. She was not of Odinn's Cove or Freyja's Moor ...from another Viking clan, then. Gyda had heard of them — knew that they existed elsewhere but had never before came to meet one.
and armor underneath her skin
who crushes the world beneath her feet
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
The stranger wasted no time, introducing herself and stating her business. Wildfire's face had fallen into a neutral expression, though she spared a light smile of approval at the woman's courteous behavior. She had a bit of an accent too, which naturally captured the yearling's attention. She couldn't place it—she rarely could—but she enjoyed it, nonetheless.

"No, I'm just a subordinate," she answered. Before she could say much more, one of the actual Alphas glided onto the scene, her flanks noticeably rounded. Wildfire was very relieved it was Gyda and not Thuringwethil. She bowed her head to her superior, taking the time to brush her snout over the leading lady's shoulder. "Gyda, this is Lagertha, a possible recruit. Lag, this is Gyda," Wildfire introduced before taking a step back and letting the leader take over the interview.

You can skip me. Just tap me when the thread's done so I can make an exit post. Thanks!
89 Posts
Ooc —
Another appeared, a regal steel furred woman who was swollen in the stomach with unborn pups. It surprised Laggy to see her at the border considering her pregnancy, but wisely didn't question the Alpha.

Her ears perked, her curiosity captured with this woman's-Gyda's-words. It was a Norse name and her accent was similar, Lag didn't know this woman but they were cut from the same cloth. "Dronning." Lagertha intoned respectively, dipping her head in what was almost a curtsy had she been human.
with fire in her veins
262 Posts
Ooc — torvi
hover over the words for the translation!

Gyda could feel them move once more — the flutter in her womb a direct confirmation to it — and shifted her weight once but remained standing despite that she desired to recline back upon her haunches. Reclining showed an comfort that she did not feel, yet. Certainly, there was some draw of kinship with this other viking woman but it was not deeply seeded. She was not of Odinn's Cove and Gyda could not let the trickle of excitement she felt at meeting a Viking from another clan that was not directly related to the Cove or the Moor cloud her judgment. This was exactly that: a judgment. There was much Gyda needed to consider and just because they shared a culture and a faith did not mean an automatic acceptance. Gyda needed to be careful of who was allowed into Sleeping Dragon, especially as close to her due date as she feared she was. She had perhaps two weeks or so to go, yet. Not far, at all. She needed to know that she could trust the wolves beneath her rule with her children. Already there was one within their ranks that she did not and could not trust though, admittedly, she had not seen hide nor hair of the girl in some time.

Queen. The word in Ragnar's native tongue fell from the stranger's lips and Gyda took a moment to revel in it. It had been some time since she'd heard it, since she'd spoken it. It was familiar to her and Gyda had not realized how fiercely she had missed it until this very moment as it graced the air between them. It took Gyda a moment to realize that Wildfire had begun to speak, making the introductions. Lagertha, the woman's name was. “Thank you, Wildfire,” Gyda offered the flame kissed young woman with a warm smile and a sage nod. Wildfire had taken a step back but Gyda was silently grateful that she did not leave all together. Þú talaðir um að þú getur barist, Gyda drew, letting it be known that she had heard, at the very least, the tail end of what Lagertha had spoken. It was refreshing to speak in the tongue of her people, though she reverted back to the common tongue out of courtesy for Wildfire whom lingered nearby. “as you can see a famine has us in it's grasp. What other skills can you offer us that will be beneficial to us?” The expecting mother inquired. Sleeping Dragon had plenty of warriors and guardians ...they needed hunters, they needed medics. She needed to ensure that every new member could aid them. The green had begun to return but it was a slow process and the herds had yet to reappear. The worst might have been over, perhaps, but their lives were still threatened and things remained grave yet. Gyda did not allow herself the foolish hope that they were out of the deep end just yet.
89 Posts
Ooc —
ahh! Totally forgot that Wildfire said to skip over her, was waiting for her to reply

The language was similar to her own, not enough that she could speak it herself but close enough to understand what was being said. Our clans must have been far apart for such a difference. "Ja, jeg kan slåss. Jeg er gjetter din venn ikke snakke de språk." Laggy added with a chuckle, hoping that the language was similar enough that the Dronning could understand. 

Switching over to English, Lagertha spoke again. "My apologies. It probably seems rude to spek in a language only two of three know, I have just not heard my tongue or one close to it in so long. I von't lie to ya. Hunting and fighting are my skills, I possess no talent for mental skills. I cannot heal or track stars or anything of the like." Lag told them earnestly.

"I can offer ya my loyalty, another number to your ranks and another to bring food for your kin." Her eyes flicked down to the other Shield-maiden's belly. Lag would help provide for the Queen's pups if given the chance.
what do i do after all this survival?
1,834 Posts
Ooc — Kermy
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
Also, skip me. Just watching for now.

She'd been back for a few days now, tired and travel weary, and has been keeping to herself. The promise to her own that she'd see Magpie had been put on the back burner. With little sleep came minimal nightmares and none since the night with Wildfire, which left a nagging feeling something has been left unsaid. Trying not to think about either topic, Thuringwethil goes through the motions and periodically checks the borders before working her way back into the territory. The howl, however, is enough to pull her back but she doesn't quite rush to the scene.

When the scent of Wildfire comes to her nose, she slows, but it's followed by Gyda and another she doesn't recognize. Her approach is slow and careful not to disturb anything beneath her feet and draw unwanted attention in her direction, but doesn't hide her visibility once she's close enough. The inky shadow remains several yards back but she's able to pick up the last bit of conversation. Slate eyes turn toward Wildfire for a fleeting moment but her expression remains flat and undisturbed, and then back to the two speaking while she quietly observers.
Trigedasleng · Common
all that wanting, all that aching, all that capacity for love:
it never belonged to you in the first place
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
Although she remained silent, Wildfire did not move from her post beside her Alpha. She wasn't a fighter but, then, she didn't anticipate an attack. She just wanted to remain there for moral support, especially considering the queen's condition. In any case, Gyda didn't dismiss her, so that meant she would stay put until commanded otherwise. She did her best to follow the conversation, though of course she missed an entire section of it due to the language barrier. The yearling made no comment, even when Lagertha switched back to the common tongue, though she flashed her a brief smile.

Shortly after that, the fur on the back of the Delta's neck stood on end. She turned, her expression freezing when she saw Thuringwethil nearby. She stared and blinked for a moment, then remembered herself and muttered a quiet, "Heda," as she bowed her head. Wildfire then promptly backpedaled further from the scene. "I'll leave you to it," she said quietly, mostly to Gyda, since it seemed like overkill for three wolves to remain here. It was none of her business at this point and Lagertha would be in great hands between the two Alphas.

Although those were, of course, excuses, valid or otherwise. Refusing to look at the commander again, Wildfire kept her body language low and unobtrusive as she exited, keeping one ear bent backward in the unlikely event she was asked to stop or come back. She hadn't been properly dismissed, after all, and so her departure might be seen as misconduct.
what do i do after all this survival?
1,834 Posts
Ooc — Kermy
Warrior
Master Guardian
Master Ambassador
I'm breaking post order, I'm sorry >>; no more from me, whoops.

Wildfire notices her approach and her ears swivel to the back of her head at her reaction. Thuringwethil swallows a lump in her throat and watches the girl backpedal away, speak something inaudible to Gyda, and makes her exit before finishing out what she started. It doesn't take long for the girl to disappear from view and with one fleeting glance, and no sign of aggression—a typical q&a for a new joiner—makes her own departure. Her intention is not to go far, an easy ear shot away should something happen, but she follows behind the retreating wolf.
Trigedasleng · Common
all that wanting, all that aching, all that capacity for love:
it never belonged to you in the first place
with fire in her veins
262 Posts
Ooc — torvi
Their dialect, Gyda quickly realized, was a little different. Not entirely — she could still make out the words albeit with some struggle — but the subtle differences only confirmed her conclusions earlier: she was not of Gyda's own clan(s). nei, hún er ekki Gyda responded and did not intend to further their conversation in their native tongues for the sake of not wanting to be discourteous to the flame kissed girl who lingered nearby. “It is the same for me,” Gyda admitted, waving away the apology with her words. She could not help but think that it would be nice to have another Nord in the Dragon, that she would have help with the sacrifices — despite that the famine made it hard to do any such thing — and could speak with someone that understood. Still, the judgment needed to be passed yet and Gyda firmly reminded herself of this.

Her attention was briefly pulled away from her task at hand when another approached — Thuringwethil — and as her lips parted to address Lagertha, whom had spoken once more, Wildfire had addressed Thuringwethil and then quietly added that she would leave her to it and departed. Confusion flitted across the Viking Queen's expression at Wildfire's abrupt departure, followed closely by Thuringwethil's own retreat after Wildfire sparked the heavily pregnant Queen's ire. Her irritation showed on her face and a low growl threatened to rumble in her chest. Perhaps it had been her hormones to spark such an instant reaction to their strange behavior while she was trying to tend her duties as Queen but it left her highly irritated at them both.

Alas, the task at hand was not over and Gyda offered Lagertha a sheepish smile. "ég er því miður Gyda spoke gesturing at where the two women had disappeared. It had been rude, in Gyda's opinion and a situation she deigned to deal with later. “It may be some time before you can prove your true prowess as a hunter, if you specialize in big game. All that is left are small woodland creatures but I am hopeful that the herds will return soon,” Gyda spoke with a soft sigh. The famine had been hard, was still hard but the green she saw sprouting up was enough to lift the hopelessness she had begun to feel, the fear for her babes and what they would be welcomed to when they came into the world. They would not go hungry — no doubt she had milk enough for them — but she was tired of going hungry despite that she probably ate more than most of those in the Dragon if only in the interest of her babes. “I will soon be indisposed of fighting, at least until the babes are old enough to eat regurgitated meat,” Which was when she could entrust them to a sitter and tend more physically to her duties. “An extra set of ears and eyes on the borders would not be unwelcome.” At least Gyda could say that the Dragon and her precious babes were well guarded.

“Sleeping Dragon is not a Viking pack. You have seen the woman that leads beside me, the ebony one, Thuringwethil. Her title is Heda and her culture is different. Similar enough to mine...to ours that it works. She may not be a Viking but she gets the same respect that you show me. We do not tolerate insubordinate here.” Gyda herself did not tolerate insubordination but she would not tolerate it towards Heda either and she felt the need to make that clear given recent events with the Fos Goufa.
89 Posts
Ooc —
A third appeared, a woman as dark as night who watched from the shadows as Gyda and Wildfire, who seemed aptly named given her red coat, questioned her. Seeing as she lingered behind, Lag made no move to address her figuring she didn't want to be spoken with given her skulking. It didn't appear to matter, before long both departed with nary a word minus the whispers given to the Dronning.

Laggy smiled, shaking her head to ward off the apology. Certainly, something must be going on between the two for them to disappear so abruptly. Lagertha wouldn't hold them against it. The Valkyrie didn't bother speaking in her native tongue any longer, given Gyda switched over to English once more. 

The Viking Queen gave reason for the bare state of land, the lack of prey. Gyda admitted that she would soon be unable to fight with her advancing pregnancy. All the more reason for fighting wolves in Lag's opinion, though she didn't bring up her opinions. It would be unwise to make herself comfortable enough for such on the doorstep of unknown wolves. 

The Heda, an unfamiliar title to Lagertha but obviously as prevalent as Gyda's own, was the dark woman whom was called Thuringwethil. Lag nodded in understanding. "If I am admitted to the pack then she vill be shown the same respect." 
with fire in her veins
262 Posts
Ooc — torvi
One more post from @Lagertha and we could probably wrap this up! I went ahead and titled you up and everything so you're good to go! c:

The other woman did not seem to be bothered by the odd exchange...and the simultaneous departure of the two women and for that Gyda was grateful. “Good,” Gyda breathed when Lagertha made the promise of treating Thuringwethil with the same level of respect that she would show Gyda herself. That was all Gyda asked: respect and that their weight be pulled. Nothing that she did not expect of herself. “I see no reason not to welcome you into our fold so long as you pull your weight. You will hold the rank of Mu, for now.” It was the bottom of their adult tier, admittedly, but there was plenty of opportunity for Lagertha to prove herself to Gyda and Thuringwethil, and surely plenty more to come while Gyda was left indisposed with the birth of her babes. It would be soon, the shield-maiden's body told her. Every thing was ready...Gyda was ready. Now, all that she could do was wait and while she waited the Viking Queen figured she might as well make herself as useful as she could. “Come,” The shield-maiden encouraged with a soft smile and a gesture of her muzzle. “Let me give you the tour ...though it may be slow.” A sheepish grin was given before Gyda began to walk, expecting Lagertha to follow after her.
89 Posts
Ooc —
Lagertha was not pleased at being at the bottom of the food chain, no wolf would, but she made no comment. She was new here and hadn't expected to be made Beta or anything of the sort, Mu was reasonable. 

Laggy nodded and began to follow after the other shield-maiden. "I would expect so, being so far along. Lead the way, Dronning." 

Thanks. I'll archive!