Dragoncrest Cliffs birth me from your bones again
gubraithian fire
3,000 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Trapper
Master Ambassador
Master Ranger
I've been told the following assumptions are safe to make but if I've gotten anything wrong, just tap me and I'll happily revise my post. :)

They gradually regrouped to the north of Sleeping Dragon, some in better shape than others. When a few faces were still missing even after a few hours, Wildfire wanted to turn back and look for them, despite the danger. At the very least, she wanted to attempt to howl for them. But she knew her voice would never carry, especially not after inhaling smoke. Thuringwethil assured her that the others had likely just fled in another direction and would turn up soon. With no other choice but to accept the commander's lead, she followed suit when they filed even further north, then west. She forgot to look back for a final glimpse.

She couldn't be sure whether it was hours or days that passed before the smoky air gave way to the smell of sea salt. Wildfire thought back to a previous foray to these very cliffs. It had been a stormy spring day not long before joining Drageda. She had run into Warbone here. Then sometime later, during the locust swarm, she and Gavriel had sought refuge along another escarpment a little further south. These memories were more muddled than anything, overshadowed by literal or metaphorical storm clouds. But now the air was totally clear and fresh, albeit bitingly cold.

The commander's nudge caught her as she was gazing off across the sea toward the horizon. The Bandrona turned to listen mutely to her mate's announcement to the pack. Her eyes watered, partly due to the frigid sea breeze but also as her emotions began to catch up to her. She couldn't help but worry about the missing faces, chief among them Freyja and the other pups. Wildfire knew it was too dangerous to send anyone back—they couldn't risk losing even more members to the volcano's fury, especially not at winter's doorstep—but she couldn't help but worry that they might be hurt and stuck back there somehow.

And both those present and those who had yet to arrive were all homeless now, a realization that kept hitting her over and over like a baseball bat to the head. It was hard to fathom that they'd lost literally everything but a handful of warm bodies overnight. Wildfire wanted to collapse beneath the weight of it all, especially considering the unexpected journey which had taken a toll on her especially after the tense days leading up to it. But there was no way she was going to sleep anytime soon, especially not in some strange place so far from the one cave she had actually grown to love.

Feeling paralyzed by loss and frozen down to the marrow of her bones, Wildfire could only turn back to gaze over the sea again. She remained motionless otherwise, ears cupped slightly backward to catch any snatches of conversation or other important goings-on behind her as the ocean filled her eyes and formed icicles on her cheeks.
Messages In This Thread
birth me from your bones again - by Antumbra - December 18, 2016, 10:22 PM
RE: birth me from your bones again - by Wildfire - December 18, 2016, 11:00 PM
RE: birth me from your bones again - by RIP Blodreina - December 19, 2016, 03:16 PM
RE: birth me from your bones again - by Portia - December 19, 2016, 05:28 PM
RE: birth me from your bones again - by Dio - December 20, 2016, 12:15 AM
RE: birth me from your bones again - by Tanja - December 20, 2016, 10:27 AM
RE: birth me from your bones again - by Hush - December 21, 2016, 06:33 PM