Tuktu Weir june bug, the weather breaks
266 Posts
Ooc — Tweet

The unfortunate hare hung limply from between Queenie's jaws. It had been a short hunt, something to take her mind off of work, but a satisfying one, nonetheless. Moving at a trot, she marked a few spots around the bend of the weir to reassure herself. It wasn't that she was frightened of anything beyond the borders — Queenie? scared? please. — but she was wary, especially once the season was considered.

I've spent enough time worrying, she whispered to herself with a sigh, before finally beginning to tear into the tender flesh of her kill.
Hiya!
Please take the time to read through this post.
Happy roleplaying!
20 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater

There was nothing in this space for miles that served to interest the ink stain as she cavorted about. Nothing save for the softly falling snow beneath which she paraded, snapping her gator-teeth at flakes as they drifted. Her steps were fluid despite the erratic course. Her head was canted back as if in supplication to the clouds, but her eyes remained wide open and wild. A snap here, a snap there, and in between some scattered steps.

She had no reason to look upon her surroundings but the sound of water bubbling about, coursing its way, made her nose dip and her big, bright eyes to stare with crow-like fixation. In the distance she could spy some piled sticks but did not think they were that interesting. What was interesting came later - as she perused the waterway's edge - and her snout was blasted by the sour odour of urine.

The ink stain snorted and shook her angular face, as if that would help matters.
266 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
With the distant snaps coming closer, Queenie had already geared herself for yet another battle. It didn't make sense to her why the wolves around these parts liked to cause so much trouble, but the unpredictability of the region was a part of why she'd grown to love, no, like, not quite — not hate it. Off in the distance stood a leggy creature who Queenie didn't recognize, only furthering her defense. 

Initially, she was against speaking up; the last two times she'd done that, it hadn't turned out the way she'd planned. For a moment, she stood silently surveying and judging the girl, wondering what her problem would be. It was the thought that maybe she didn't have a problem that brought a chuff from Queenie's maw, albeit apprehensively.
Hiya!
Happy roleplaying!
20 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater

In her peripheral vision she saw a snow drift marred by smudges of color, and it called out to her with a sneeze. She did a double-take on that.

Wha — no, that wasn't a snow drift. That was a wolf! Possibly the first real and living person she'd seen since her departure from the Oaks. Kratha's big dumb ears fanned forwards like fleshy wings, and she fixed her big-eyed stare upon the stranger.

She had something in her mouth that looked interesting, so Kratha closed the distance between them with the ease of her long strides, happy enough to have found company and even giddier at the prospect of food. Hey girlie! What you got there? Her pupils seemed to grow upon mentioning the food, blackening her eyes and making the iris seem all that more unnatural in their brightness.
266 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Great. Another one.

For each step forward, Queenie took a step back. Though she would have liked to have bared her teeth and raised her hackles, she was too confused by the incredibly unexpected demeanor of the black doe. A furrow was written through her brows as her jaws clamped down onto the hare's neck. Was this what Nathaniel had felt the first time they'd met? 'Cause boy, did she feel bad.

Was she high? Maybe she was high. Are you high? Queenie asked, having now dropped the hare and firmly planting her paw onto its head. No one was this happy, right? Good for her, sure, but it couldn't have been natural. It's, uh--, she began again with a shake of her head, my...snack.
Hiya!
Happy roleplaying!
20 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater

The response from the stranger made her toss back her head again, but this time instead of snapping at the snow that fell in dandruff-sized chunks, she was laughing uproariously. High! She thinks I'm high, but on what? The cold? Well, it was possible. Heaving a breath back in to her narrow-set lungs, Kratha looked at the odd girl and snickered, shaking her head and blinking away funny beads of tears at the corners of those big eyes.

You takin' that home with you? She slunk forwards a step, slowly, as if she were approaching something incredibly dangerous or incredibly interesting; to be honest, Kratha hadn't decided which type of person this stranger was. Or are you gonna eat it here? Can I watch? Her eyes zipped between the rabbit at her paws and the girl's face, to and fro, frantically, before she had to lick her own lips to stop the drool from pooling from her sharp face.

Sorry! Sorry! I must be so weird to you — ahem, Kratha plopped her butt down and crossed her forepaws, looking almost dainty if it weren't for the concave nature of her empty belly or the way her shoulders and hips jut out from their sockets. I just — it's been a while, y'know, since I've seen anyone.

266 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
There was a lot of silence on Queenie's part (imagine that!) on account of her mouth being so agape with shock that she couldn't close it enough to say much of anything. A moment or so after the she-wolf finished with all that she'd had to say, and boy, did she have a lot, Queenie finally composed herself. Um, she began with a gulp, No.

It wasn't meant to be a dismissive or rude comment, but nothing else came to mind. She gave the girl a look, silently asking, Can we slow down a bit? The rabbit was plump enough to share, and Queenie wasn't particularly starved anyway. So, with the hope that stuffing the girl's mouth would make her shut up for even just a blink, Queenie decided to offer a cut. We can share it. 

Not wanting the stranger's scent all over her kill, Queenie took the liberty of dividing it into two more or less equal sections; one lean, the other filled with fat from the rump of the winter hare. Go ahead, take your pick.
Hiya!
Happy roleplaying!
20 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater

The girl stared at her, and Kratha stared back, breath puffing from her own open maw while her pulse continued to race; she wasn't tired or anything, her blood just ran hot in her veins. Probably to counter the chill of the winter and her lack of nourishment, or something. She had always been hot to the touch.

When finally the stranger spoke, it was to offer her something to eat. Kratha was overjoyed by this eventuality and her whip-like tail swat at the falling snow behind her body, her hips wiggling a little. She stared without meaning to be creepy (but lets be real, there was nothing Kratha could do about that) as the rabbit was sectioned off. The pungent smell of red hit the air, metallic and inviting and warm, and she inched closer.

Before Queenie could finish offering the thing to her, Kratha lunged and snapped, grabbing the nearest section (which happened to be the leaner portion) and began to chew at it. Red splattered about as she hurried, naturally inclined to eat as quickly as she could, and the last bits she tossed up, playing with them, and one by one caught them and thus, her section was gone.

266 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Take my half, Queenie offered, now without much of an appetite, Are you that hungry? The idea of starvation and struggle was foreign to her. Sure, the journey from Daddy Bruce to the Wilds hadn't been fun, but she'd made it without too many difficulties. Seeing someone on the opposite side of the spectrum from where she sat brought up a strange discomfort.

If, and that was a big if, this stranger really was going through something, Queenie would consider offering to bring her home. It would take a bit more conversation for the idea to really grow on her, but something in her was pulling for it. Was this compassion? Empathy? No, couldn't be.

Queenie opened her mouth to speak a few more times before finally getting something out, I'm Stephanie.
Hiya!
Happy roleplaying!
20 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater

A long pink tongue slapped at the bits of blood and tissue that marred her dark snout, slurping and cleaning in a frenzy. Kratha heard the offer and set upon the rest of the rabbit without further inquiry thereafter, but this took more time to break down. The rear portion had rich fat and a bulbous stomach (the rabbit must have fed well prior to its own death) adn she tore in to it greedily. Using her paws to pin the thing and her long face like a violently stabbing beak, she picked at it and made quite the mess.

But, it too was consumed with haste. Her concave belly had a nice plumpness to it afterwards and she, warm and buzzing from the activity of finally feeding after so long without, grinned toothily at her patron. Nice to meetcha, there was that tongue again, slicking across her shiny burgundy teeth, working at a chunk of gristle in an ugly manner only to deftly swallow it — M'name is Kratha.

Pleasure, I'm sure.

266 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
The plan seemed to have worked; Kratha's introduction was simple, and with the weight of a plump winter hare on her belly, it seemed like the worst of her motor-mouth was over. Still, Queenie held her breath, never once letting her guard down. You must've been starving, she laughed, You're so thin. Did she not know how to hunt? That was certainly a disqualifier, but if she knew how to fight, it could redeem her.

You know, I marked this place for a reason. I normally like to eat in peace. And right now, we're too close to home for my comfort.
Hiya!
Happy roleplaying!
20 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater

Thin? Her? This seemed to be news to the gaunt hybrid, or she effectively behaved as such. Her eyes widened again and she, with a small gasp, looked down at her chest and then shifted to look at her belly, glance over her own hips, and wrap that whip-tail around her haunches. As much as she wanted to snipe back with a comment, Kratha couldn't formulate anything quick enough - Stephanie was jolting to another topic, which would save her some sass.

I just thought you had a UTI or somethin', she jested, head tilting and ears flopping. That was a lot of piss. Not that I was attracted or anythin', uh, now she was just digging a hole. Taking all her narrow feet and shoving them in her proverbial mouth. Restarting this bit! Uhh, I didn't mean to invade or nothin', like I said, I was just happy to find you.

Cue another grin. At least this time the blood had been cleaned from most of her teeth, so they were more of a dingy yellow. That was better, right?

266 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Snarky, eh? Queenie's lips quirked up into a crooked grin while she formulated her response. Clearly not enough to do what it was supposed to. You know borders are pissed marked, d'you like crossing those, too? She could've continued with quips, the two of them going back and forth, but it didn't seem like Kratha was interested.

You didn't really invade, she sighed, licking her chops with a wide yawn, You should be more mindful of how you approach folks, though. Someone else might not be so forgiving. And what the hell was up with Queenie to where she was? It didn't suit her, this persona; she'd have to tighten her ship.

Straightening up, she looked down her snout to where Kratha stood. Be careful. There's a lot of idiots around here.
Hiya!
Happy roleplaying!
20 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater

The girl had a point but it had been such a long while since Kratha had encountered a person let alone an entire pack — the mention made her give pause though and she seemed to be thinking about something. 

You should be more mindful —
cautioned Queenie, and Kratha put her thoughts aside for another time. She'd spent enough of her life chasing ghosts and running from those that lived, and was ready to change things. Idiots you say? her ears perked and she chuckled, I'm lucky to have met you first. Don't think I'd have any hope left if I ran in to some fool.

That carried over to another thought, and this one did not give her reason to hesitate: And you? Do you find yourself surrounded by idiots or do you persist alone? Like me?

266 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Queenie shrugged and made a meh sound. In my pack, she began with a deep breath and a point of her snout, not really. It's once I leave. The loners around here, God help 'em. Everyone seemed to have a constant attitude, and around these parts, there was only enough for one. Then again, Queenie didn't mind competition; it kept her on her game.

Can you fight? she asked, not sure how to ease it into the conversation. Besides, Queenie was known for being blunt; what was the big deal?
Hiya!
Happy roleplaying!
20 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater

Her pack? So she wasn't just a vagrant hunting for her dinner. She could afford to give away to strangers and be charitable because she had a whole pack to support her? Sounded like a nice gig.

Hm, yeah, came the hybrid's nonchalant response to the question, I mean look at me, I'm the pinnacle of health. Strapped with muscle, trained from birth to infiltrate and murder! She was jesting again, pointing out the obvious flaw in Queenie's line of questioning. Why would she ask such a silly thing of Kratha? 

Okay but in all seriousness, I have no idea. I've never had to fight. I mostly roam around and try not to die, which could be said for anyone. Her ears fanned either side of her skull as she stared wistfully at the falling snow, thinking briefly. I was in a pack once before. Hunting came easy, and I was learning all sorts of things, but it wasn't... It wasn't meant to be.

Yeah, because you screwed it up, she thought suddenly, and her gaze dimmed.

266 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Queenie's face twisted into both frustration and annoyance, but it was quickly replaced with another sly smile and a raised brow. I would think that trying not to die would be motivation enough to learn how to fight. Hunting wasn't really Queenie's forte either, so she couldn't blame her much for that, but the lack of concrete skills was admittedly disconcerting.

So what can you do? she asked, hoping it didn't come off rude (but also not caring if it did). There was clearly some sort of sob story that she was missing out on, but at this point, she wasn't too keen on hearing it anyway. Everyone had a sob story, so what?
Hiya!
Happy roleplaying!
20 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater

Had Kratha realized she was being interviewed then maybe she would have fibbed a bit and come up with something meaningful to share, or something worthwhile. Paint herself in a better light. Instead she thought this was just a casual conversation - so she took some offense to the tone of Stephanie's voice and the implications within it.

I can do whatever the heck I want, is what I can do, her fur puffed a bit, but it was naturally short and her irritation easily missed. What about you? Hunting is a no-brainer, she had caught that rabbit somehow and it wasn't even that impressive; wolves hunted to survive, and if you sucked at it, you died; Can you do anything? Aside from talk.

266 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Defiance. A trait that Queenie admired, but not one that she was sure she could tolerate. Maybe in time, this Kratha would break. After all, this was their first meeting; Queenie knew that first impressions didn't always go as planned. I'm not a hunter, she scoffed. It was a logical assumption to think that she was a half-decent huntress, given the circumstances, but when it came to fighting prey, she was useless. Best she could do was that winter hare, and even that'd been a struggle.

I'm a mercenary, she told Kratha, and I'm not asking you any of this because it's good for my health. There was a firm look on her face as she examined the girl. I'm asking you because I want to bring you back to my pack. What would Delight say if she showed up with a sick puppy at her hip, no real reason for bringing it? It was important that they had a story together before making any proposals.
Hiya!
Happy roleplaying!
20 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater

It should not have surprised her as much as it did, and the expression Kratha wore for that split-second did not hide anything. Following this she felt only indignation rather than glee; that this wandering pack wolf thought to offer such a thing, as if Kratha needed any help what-so-ever in surviving when that was her forte, was an insult more than it was a blessing. She wanted to snap a comment at her to the same sentiment but, she did not. 'Pack's aren't always bad, Kratha,' said her concience, 'You know that - you can't keep running around forever,' but the last time --

Oh, she blurted, turning off her thoughts as quickly as they came. You're vetting me. I should'a clued in on that. Good, now we're getting somewhere. Whatever tension had arisen within Kratha seemed to dissipate then, and she regarded Stephanie in a new light - So? Did I pass?

266 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Kinda, Queenie sighed, Not really. I still wanna know what skills you have. The conversation that she'd had with Delight popped back into her mind then, and she was reminded of her duty to train. Kratha had potential, she'd decided; that fire inside of her needed to be put to more use. If you don't have any, Queenie began to offer, you can shadow me.

It was a proposal that could have been accepted or denied, she didn't mind either way. It was up to Kratha, really; accept, and she had a home. Deny, and she was on her own again. Queenie hoped that she would accept, as she could easily see Kratha making for one hell of a soldier when the time came. I'll teach you what you need to know, no strings.
Hiya!
Happy roleplaying!
20 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater

She squinted her eyes at the other girl briefly, but understood and couldn't fault her for anything really. It was up to her to decide if Kratha was a worthwhile investment; so far she had nothing that she could offer, or it seemed like it. The opportunity to shadow someone was unique too, but held her interest. If nothing else, Kratha could use that time to fatten up and survive the last vestiges of winter.

I can tend caches, keep myself fed - probably hunt for more mouthes as needed. But anyone could do that, they'd gone over as much already. On the topic of being a shadow though, While I keep stock of the food, I'll 'shadow' you, I guess? Learn... What kind of stuff, do you think? Fighting maybe. She didn't look like an herbalist or anything esoteric, which would make whatever Kratha was being taught much, much easier.

266 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
While they could use a hunter in their ranks, Queenie wasn't sure if she would be a good enough teacher for Kratha to learn anything of use. Nonetheless, she planned to try; it would be a learning experience for both of them. I'm a mercenary, she repeated, so you'd be handling borders with me. For a while, at least. Queenie wasn't sure that she could trust this girl with her more intimate priority: Delight's safety.

Part of it was instinctual, her need to care for the Morwinyon, but there was also an element of personal attachment that she didn't like but couldn't shake. I'll teach you how to fight, too.
Hiya!
Happy roleplaying!
20 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater
Fade here? Have another @ the borders?

It seemed like a good deal. Kratha had sussed out as much information as she felt she needed, and now she was faced with a choice. She knew she could survive on her own for as long as she must - her whole life had been built upon a foundation of single-lady-skills so it wasn't like she'd be struggling too much. It was an opportunity to be around her own kind though, to learn some new skills, to better herself... And if it didn't work out, she'd make some connections and fatten herself up, survive the winter. Seemed like there was only one choice to make, after she thought a tick about it.

Okay, lets go. Her face broke out in a crocodile grin, spreading up her sharp snout. Those big and buggy eyes widened again with mirth, and she bat her tail. I'll do whatever you want!

266 Posts
Ooc — Tweet
Much to her pleasure, Kratha accepted the offer. Queenie nodded her head and turned to walk back toward the borders. Follow me, she called back, The leader is Delight. When we get there...
Hiya!
Happy roleplaying!