Is there a random events account?
dread the day when dreaming ends
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
Dearest @WOLF! Is it possible to create a random events / narrative account for myself - like Dungeon Master Karm? I like flinging random happenings and 'background' at my fellow RPers, but I just use one of my character accounts to do it with. I figure a personal account so that it isn't anonymous (and therefore open to abuse). If not, I'll continue to post with one of my character accounts. Thanks!
25 Posts
Ooc — Admins
I dunno. I'm a bit wary of giving a single person access to a random event account, since others might want the opportunity. I also don't want multiple "dungeon master" accounts since they aren't really characters. A random event account would need to be accessible to everyone to be really fair but then it would also need a bit of policing (to make sure it isn't being abused to pick on characters / packs, which I'm sure wouldn't happen but is still a concern of mine). I know I personally don't have time to manage something like that so, biased, I'd rather not have to.

Buuut Kat and Starr might feel differently about it, so let's wait on their opinions. I'm more of a pessimist and a worrier, so they might have a better angle in mind. :)

- Chelsie
This account is used for official site communication but cannot receive private message responses. If you have a question or concern about a message you have received, please start a thread in the Contact The Staff forum.
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
No probs - on the flip side, my random event posts count towards my post count even though it's not really "the character" doing anything. I could always request a deduction. Something toconsider! I'll leave you ladies to deliberate.
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
There's the @Beast account. A few people had access and there was never any issues. I don't think I'd mind keeping an eye on it if Chelsie and Starr aren't actively opposed. :)
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
i like this idea! :) i was just thinking that it might be nice to do stuff like this for the pack every now and then to spice things up. i do like the opportunity to post or hop into random event threads. :)
267 Posts
Ooc — Laur
I always enjoyed the Beast account idea, and it would be cool to see like a Random Event or something account. Good way to inspire some creative threads :D
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
I'd rather there was only one account to monitor, so if we do decide this is OK, we either rename Beast or use Beast for prey bot + random events. I'm fine with either/or, just sayin' I don't want to track multiple accounts. :P
932 Posts
Ooc — Soap
Haha. They can sometimes be fun. Other times I've seen them randomly placed and a little bit abused in the middle of threads that don't need/want it.

As long as it can be ignored and isn't a required thing, so optional, I might not mind it as much. My initial reaction is a little "not a fan". I've been caught up in "events" in the past when my characters have been unintentionally PP'd through them and that sort of thing is less fun.
25 Posts
Ooc — Admins
I vote we rename Beast and use that.

I have sorta two requirements to prevent abuse, though.

First is a way to flag a thread for "no random event". Like Soap, I don't want to get a random event dropped in the middle of certain threads. They are fun but not when they are disruptive.

Second, the person using the account must identify themselves in every post they make. I worry about it being abused (a pack forms next to another pack, someone from existing pack goes "screw you guys!" and throws endless random events at the new pack in lieu of having their characters react, that sort of thing) and revealing yourself allows us to track who it is in the event that happens. It's very unlikely with this community but I'd rather prevent it before it happens.

- Chels
This account is used for official site communication but cannot receive private message responses. If you have a question or concern about a message you have received, please start a thread in the Contact The Staff forum.
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
Personally I'll be using it mostly to do the first post (like I've done with Bazi and Pura previously) and letting people respond. Then I would assume it's just normal rules - you're still contributing to the story, so no PP unless other players are game.

Maybe our lovely @Dante can fix us up with a "No random events" checkbox for threads or characters that don't want to play? (edit: great minds, Chels!)

Sign me up for an access request if this goes ahead! :)
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
Another idea might be to allow random events only as new threads instead of thrown in existing ones? It might be hard to spot whether people mind having a random event if they're already in the middle (or perhaps even near-ending) of a thread. Doesn't have to be, but just throwing ideas out there. :)
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
(September 29, 2015, 09:05 AM)Charon Wrote: Another idea might be to allow random events only as new threads instead of thrown in existing ones?

+1.
25 Posts
Ooc — Admins
That would certainly work. New threads only and you have to identify yourself. Any other restrictions? I'm thinking a way for a pack to opt out of random events for a time might be nice. Say a pack has had an exhausting amount of IC drama, they might not want random events coming their way. Is that necessary, or should we just leave it?
932 Posts
Ooc — Soap
I think maybe just leave it? If the player is identified via the random event, there's always a way to tap that player with a quick "thanks but no thanks for the event" PM and the option to remove/repost the event elsewhere.

In that case, does the player need to provide a primary account where they can be reached in the case of questions, comments or concerns?
Alpha
762 Posts
Ooc — Andrea
I'm really confused why we need an account for this.

Can there not just be a thread somewhere with a list of events and if someone wants to take part then go roll the spar dice and look up the corresponding event and start their thread off with that?
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
(September 29, 2015, 09:14 AM)Iqniq Wrote: I think maybe just leave it? If the player is identified via the random event, there's always a way to tap that player with a quick "thanks but no thanks for the event" PM and the option to remove/repost the event elsewhere.

In that case, does the player need to provide a primary account where they can be reached in the case of questions, comments or concerns?

That sounds reasonable enough.

And we could require them to tag their primary account, which turns into a link to their profile (from which a PM can be sent in a single click).
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
(September 29, 2015, 09:42 AM)FitzDutiful Wrote: I'm really confused why we need an account for this.

Can there not just be a thread somewhere with a list of events and if someone wants to take part then go roll the spar dice and look up the corresponding event and start their thread off with that?

I don't think a list would be a bad option but I think Karm's going for a different dynamic here. She wants to post a bunch of random events for other players, not for herself. She could definitely consult a list but she's not necessarily wanting to involve her own characters. At least that's how I understand it.
Alpha
762 Posts
Ooc — Andrea
(September 29, 2015, 09:46 AM)Peregrine Wrote:
(September 29, 2015, 09:42 AM)FitzDutiful Wrote: I'm really confused why we need an account for this.

I don't think a list would be a bad option but I think Karm's going for a different dynamic here. She wants to post a bunch of random events for other players, not for herself. She could definitely consult a list but she's not necessarily wanting to involve her own characters. At least that's how I understand it.

Ah, I think I get you. A and B are in a thread then C comes along and puts a random event in there. Still confuses me, but I think I see why an account is needed now.
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita

My motivations for asking are selfish - I want to run a little mystery plot for JFG, leaving clues and random happenings for the pack to react to. It's not optional - as in, the clues happen whether players want to get involved or not - but they don't directly affect any specific character. Kind of like a small-scale BWP!

Edit: Yep! Random events for other people. So if anyone is low on inspo, let me know. ;)
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
I'm a big fan of this idea :D

I know that personally I wouldn't mind random interjections on any thread ever XD but I'm not sure how we could make that clear.  We already have quite a few prefixes

So while I think random interjections would be awesome if there was a way to do them, I agree it would be easiest to require it to be a new thread

+1000000 on the idea :D
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
I just changed the account name to @The Narrator, does that work...?
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
(September 29, 2015, 10:25 AM)Peregrine Wrote: I just changed the account name to @The Narrator, does that work...?

LOVE IT. Do we post in Maintenance for access?

(I've planned 10 sneaky little random events for JFG - whodunnit guys >_> y there be a dead garden in your territory.)
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
I want to hammer out the rules 100% prior to releasing the account. I'll put a blurb on obtaining access in the profile!

Guidelines for using The Narrator account:
1. You must identify yourself (pref. via tag) in every single post you make.
2. You must post a new thread vs. respond to an existing thread.
3. You may use the account for random events or as a prey bot. Other uses are OK, though you are subject to the same rules as if you were posting with your own character(s).
4. Abuse of the account subjects your other account(s) to warnings and/or bans.

Did I miss anything?
run wild. live free. love strong.
321 Posts
Ooc — Riven
In Wolf's beginning, we had people submit blurbs to the @WOLF account and the CMs would post the events every once in a while from there. They were more post "prompts" than anything, and I don't believe we ever jumped into AW threads that were already started (though that could be a possibility). That was when the game was very small, though, and it fizzled mainly because at the time there wasn't much organization or interest.

Just an option for a more controlled version, though I understand the appeal/benefit of allowing players access instead of putting more tasks on the staff. ^^
ALL WELCOME threads are considered fair game to me, even if they are already in progress. My characters will often make one- or two-post cameos; if you'd like me to continue posting, just tag me and/or acknowledge my character!
3,373 Posts
Ooc — Kat
I'd love to give the members a chance via The Narrator account but if it doesn't work out for whatever reason, we can definitely look into posting them via the WOLF account. :)