Blackfoot Forest First aid
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
anyone in need of first aid or wanting to learn about medicinal plants. Maybe @Aaron since he might have an issue with one of the plants, I'm not sure. 

Liri had been meaning to start stockpiling a pharamaceopia of plants seeing as the early spring growth was starting. She knew it was only a matter of time before winter rolled back around and it was in her best interest to begin storing for the cold season. In the wild with no vets wolves had to resort to natural medicine, and the warm season was spent storing food and herbs.

She had nosed around close to her den, taking different herbs aside to the stream not too far to wash them before storing them away in her den. It was large enough for two wolves, as she hoped to share it with whomever became her mate. There was an area set aside for her medicine as well.

The day had been fruitful; as she had found many useful plants to take back with her.Iris roots with their antiseptic agents, hops that could be used as a mild sedative, clover which could strengthen the heart but was weak enough to use even in pups or elders, willow which was the simplest of natural pain relievers. 

She had fanned out further now, not wanting to deplete the area immediately around her home of its valuable herbs. She had hesitated upon finding the golden thread plant which could be used to prevent pregnancy before reluctantly taking it. With all the mating going on it was likely they would need a contraceptive. It was also possible that there were some females who shouldn't have children. Perhaps it was too dangerous for them or that they suffered too many miscarriages so that they shouldn't get pregnant anymore.

Still though maybe she would check with Aaron to make sure it was okay to administer it. He was the leader after all and she wouldn't want to go against him.
"i'll keep you here when I lose my mind."

338 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Guardian
!! teach him everything. (: i think i'm going for a naturalist trade... unsure though.

Aaron was mildly aware of how mating worked. He knew that it should be exercised with caution, and only occur between those granted permission. He was aware that he too would need permission, specifically by a female, and that there could be consequences for any mistakes he made. But he was not one to hesitate when it came to authority or risk. If others were gettin frisky without his personal consent, action would be taken, and if he was in the mood for some lovin then he would be getting some- regardless of any future unplanned occurrences (i.e. pups). 

The thought of a contraceptive never really occurred to him, nor did it really mean anything to him. Would others really need it? Would he need it? He did not know. Perhaps it was a topic for another day, he assumed others understood the ways of a pack- alphas, maybe betas, and under special circumstances the others. Well, perhaps contraceptives were needed- but did they exist? He did not know.

As he made his way through the territory, thoughts of vague concepts and solutions to problems buzzed through his head. He didn't have any solid advice to give himself, and wondered if Amara had any thoughts on the subject- she always seemed a bit more open, he thought. He did not find Amara, however, and instead found Liri, huddled over a bundle of herbs and inspecting them with interest. He watched her a moment before he let out a light bark, smiling kindly her way. "Hello, Liri," he barked. 
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
It was just the wolf she had been thinking about, Aaron. She wagged her tail in greeting, letting out a low chuffing noise. She turned to face him more easily, pushing her golden thread aside. 

She had figured Aaron would be aware of the consequences such mating pairs could have, unintended pups for intstance, that could lead to issue. She had no idea what he planned to do to keep the lovers in his pack from mating, or how he would tolerate little accidents running rampant. 

When all the females came into heat in late fall or close to it, as most she wolves did, it was going to be pure chaos. If they weren't careful they would have a swarm of litters, most who would die before getting a chance to live. The contraceptive plant was heaven sent for this pack it seemed, not many had use for it. This one would, it would help keep females from birthing unwanted litters.

338 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Guardian
ECK. it never posted ): sorry!

The man studied the herbs at her feet, his fur ruffling as he rolled his shoulders. Aaron then sat before her, watching curiously as her actions and facial expressions betrayed her friendly facade. "What troubles you?" he asked, blue eyes narrowing with genuine concern. Had she eaten something she shouldn't have? Was she worried for the mating ceremony? It was soon, after all... The pale man sat patiently as he waited for a response, still gazing occasionally to the herbs, wondering what they all were. He was no man of medicine, yet, but he prayed one day to have all of the knowledge one could ever want. 
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
that's okay

She wasn't sure how Aaron had always been able to see through her, it just had always been that way. Even from their first meeting he could see things about her no others could. It was a sign of a good leader and even she could appreciate that.

"I worry for the future. All these mates, an accidental pregnancy is bound to happen. Forcing miscarriage is dangerous, I just worry." She decided to see his response before she told him about the plants.

338 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Guardian
Aaron sat silently for a moment, his tail swishing behind him. "Do you think wolves will be mating on their own?" he asked, eyeing her curiously. It was not a problem that had really occurred to him, he felt that everyone would be asking permission. Then again, natural instinct was not something that could be changed- so he wondered. "Most know that only the higher ranks are allowed pups," he added, but shrugged as if it was a comment he knew was pointless to state. Wolves would do as they pleased, regardless.
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
"It won't matter when they come into heat. With mates on hand they would probably turn to them for relief. What male would say no?" The question was rhetorical mainly, no male would say no when he smelt the pheromones coming off his mate. 

She decided to reveal her secret weapon, the contraceptive plants. "I think I know a way of preventing pregnancy for the females not allowed to bear pups. I would need your permission of course to administer it." She was hopeful he would say yes, it was logical after all. If he couldn't stop them from mating at least he could stop any pups from forming.

338 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Guardian
Aaron thought for a moment, his tail swishing. "I'm not sure all females go into heat- do they?" he commented, but was truthfully unsure. She then made another comment, and he stared at her with interest for a moment. "A contraceptive?" he asked quietly, his head cocking to the side. "Is that possible?"

sorry! super short
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
"Yes, once they are of an old enough age. My mentor used to tell me eating Golden thread kept females from getting pregnant." She wasn't entirely sure that it was true but her teacher in her natal pack had always claimed it was the easiest way not to procreate without abstaining. 

that's okay mine is too. She's gonna be so embarrased :P

338 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Guardian
Using this herb as the one she's talking about. (: If I read correctly it's used for stomach inflammation and sore mouths. (ulcers, but I'm not sure wolves know what that is)

Aaron sat stiffly for a moment as Liri brought out the so-called contraceptive, and his head tilted slightly to the side. "Liri... I do not mean to be so blunt, but that is not within the herbs capabilities," he murmured to her, staring at the golden herb for a moment before glancing up to her. "This is Gold Thread- Coptis, if you will- but it is to be used to help with sore mouths and stomach pains," he explained, and kindly as he could. 
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
Her ears dropped in embarassment as she knew that Aaron's skills far surpassed her own. If she had not been a wolf she would have been as red as the roses that grew in the Lover's grove.

"I am so sorry. I had always been taught differently. I was so sure I could help," she told him softly. Her voice was shy and she was clearly embarrassed for her mistake. It seemed the wolves would just have to keep it in line or face the wrath of the Alphas.

338 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Guardian
The male gave her a sorry smile, shaking his head. "It's no worries," he replied calmly, his tail wagging. "We'll just have to hope not too many females go into heat, and those that do will be heavily guarded," he then informed her, rolling his shoulders in thought. He paused, looking to Liri and giving her a kind grin.

"Regardless, I actually don't know these other herbs- would you mind passing your knowledge about them onto me?" he had changed the subject, but he was genuinely curious. 
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
"Well, this one isn't completely useless. Its name is Golden Thread or a strand of it. It is good for stings and bites, small scrapes and such." She held up the would be contraceptive plant which had one certified use. She lay it down closer to him where he could study it closer if he wished.

"It grows along other plants and often chokes the other's roots until it is dead. Some must be left in the same spot or will not grow the next season." The plant was tiny delicate threads of little golden bulbs on it, often known for strangling its hosts. 

"It's best used as a wash with water against a wound to cleanse it, rid it of impurities." She waited to see if he had questions before moving on to the next one.

338 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Guardian
"Mhm," he nodded as she spoke, sniffing the delicate herb curiously. "As well as some stomach pains and sore mouths," he repeated, tail thumping against the ground. He liked adding in what he knew, it made him feel like he was not only learning- but teaching. He watched Liri curiously. 

"What about these?" he then asked, his gaze flickering to the Iris roots. His head tilted slightly to the side, watching the pale girl with interest.
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
She nudged the iris root up next to the golden thread. "It's called Iris. It has an antiseptic quality that works well on open wounds if I recall correctly. It can also be used in small quantities for stomach problems. Too much will make you sick though."

"It's found in marshy areas in the spring and summer. It can grow as tall as I am and its flowers are typically blue or purple. Sometimes it can be found as white or yellow though. It smells sweet and some like to keep it in their dens or rub it into their fur for its aroma."

338 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Guardian
"No kidding," he muttered as he sniffed at the plants. "You seem to know a lot, Liri," he commented to her, his tail wagging. He was pleased with his white subordinate, and made note of her will to earn her trades- like another male in the pack seemed to enjoy doing. He knew there was another plant, but the man stood without asking for it's uses. 

"I apologize, but I need to speak with my Amara," he dipped his head to the girl. "Thank you for the information, it is much appreciated." Aaron smiled to the other, gave her a quick nudge to the cheek, and left without saying another word.

SORRY this took so long to complete, I'm the worst. last post for me <3
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
She nodded, he had responsibilities. She gathered her things up, standing with the bundle in her mouth. Tail wagging she made her way back to her den, storing the herbs carefully in a cache set in the corner. Deciding to go wash up since her white fur was coated in dirt from digging the herbs she headed to the stream to spend the rest of her day.