Swiftcurrent Creek grey eyes gleaming
unshakeable, unbreakable, unkillable
201 Posts
Ooc —
Away

it was a cold morning.

the days had bled into months now that she'd been alone, another relationship unable to battle the bitter chill of winter.  the man who had always found solace and warmth in her fiery eyes had left one january evening without a trace, and she knew the moment she woke without him at her side that it was over.  she also knew that it was undoubtedly her fault.

a frigid breeze cuts past, through her thin pelt and she snaps back to reality, shivering, a plume of frosty air escaping from between her clattering teeth.

the girl's curled form is hidden beneath the tall grasses, blending with the snow, betrayed only by the halo of pink morning light that casts off of her guard hairs and the metronomic sound of her breath.

where do we go from here?

— he hit me and it felt like a kiss
7/5
1,293 Posts
Ooc —
Alarian had decided to go hunting early, hoping to bring breakfast to his conpanions. A lucky encounter had left him with a plump old fox already, but he decided to go to the creek to look for more.

A familiar scent came to him on the wind, then-- he turned his head and froze. A small figure in the grass, nothing spectacular, but that scent. He would know it anywhere. The boy approached slowly, carefully, not yet alerting the other to his presence.
It was only when he was close enough to see, to recognize, that he chuffed softly, then greeted her.
Lanawyn. Alarian's voice was soft, warm. He knew her without a doubt-- few wolves forget the scent of a littermate.
201 Posts
Ooc —
Away

a voice breaks the relative silence of the pastel january morning, and it swims around her ears before pooling to the surface.

alarian.

she pulls her nose from under her tail and opens her eyes, the fiery orange of her stare meeting the beautiful and ever-shifting hues of her brother's.  her own eyes well up with tears.

it had been so long.  she wasn't exactly happy to see him but it didn't quit bother her either, an emotion she, in her addled state, could find no name for but did not like.  but at least she was no longer alone.

brother, she breathes, you're hurt!  oh, god, had it been him?

7/5
1,293 Posts
Ooc —
He blinked at the greeting, and then he couldn't help but smile. It was a smile like sunlight breaking through the clouds, lighting up his features despite the stress he carried from recent events.
Alarian moved forward to push his nose into her cheek affectionately. Don't worry-- I've been taking care of it, and I have friends with me.

When he pulled away, there was a mischievous twinkle in his eyes. He half-wondered if she would believe the real stories behind the scars. The cuts on my side and my jaw-- that was a cougar. The cheek was... some guy trying to kidnap my friend.
Then he studied her intently for a moment. Why are you alone, Lana?
201 Posts
Ooc —
Away

she is both surprised and a little offended that he is faring better than she, but tucks it beneath a veneer of amusement.  a cougar? a kidnapper?  boy, ever since brutally murdering their father in cold blood even if he deserved it, her brother had really become.. something.

still, he is her brother.  the question he asks of her brings on another bout of silence as she pulls her cheek from his nose.  how could she bare to tell him that she was just like their mother?

no reason, she tries to assure him, things just didn't go so well for me.

7/5
1,293 Posts
Ooc —
Alarian was a little hurt when his sister pulled away from his touch, and it showed for a flashing moment. But he dropped it quickly-- the last thing he wanted to do was ruin this. Now that she was here, he couldn't imagine letting her walk away again.
I've missed you. The boy admitted a bit breathlessly, finding himself nervous about the possible response. All of you. I was too young and stupid to regret leaving when I did it, but now... things are different. Now I've just been too scared to face mom.

Come with me. He said in the next moment. Please. I don't want you to be alone out here, it's dangerous, and-- I know my friends will like you. We take care of each other.
Ali reached out for a moment as if to touch her cheek again, but seemed to think better of it.
201 Posts
Ooc —
Away

oh.

she hadn't expected to be missed.  maybe to be scorned, or cast aside.  but alarian was not one of her unfortunate lovers, he was family.  

reluctantly, she pulled her face from under her tucked tail.  and what if they don't?  she had yet to experience the tension back in sunbeam but already she was apprehensive.  

before waiting for a response, she reached out and touched his cheek. sorry.  i-i'll go with you.

7/5
1,293 Posts
Ooc —
They will. He insisted, licking her nose a bit playfully. The boy was ecstatic that his sister had agreed to come with him, and he wasn't trying to hide it.
Just... Suddenly Alarian looked worried. Please don't mention our past-- our father. I know what you must think of me-- all of you-- but it's... different. I just want to start fresh, leave that behind.

Ali lowered his head after a moment out of shame. I'm not him, Lanawyn. But it seems like life has been trying to make everyone think otherwise, with all the bad luck I've had.
He paused for a few beats-- and then he wanted to move on from the sad subject. I'm happy I found you, though. More than happy.
201 Posts
Ooc —
Away

their father was something she tried not to think about anyway, trying to put him in her past as well. of course  her brow furrows, lip protruding in a kind of pout.

you're too good to be him, ali.  she fails to meet his gaze.  it was true that she harbored conflicted feelings towards her brother.  maybe their father deserved punishment, but death?

no, no.  it's over.  it's done.  nothing like a second chance, she says, the first hints of happiness pouring through her voice.  tell me about your group.

7/5
1,293 Posts
Ooc —
Archiving
The boy felt a rush of relief at Lanawyn's words; her hesitance didn't go unnoticed, but if she cared enough to say it-- perhaps he could salvage the rest. He nosed her cheek again, then bounced happily before he began to lead the way back to the cave.
Ali talked all the way, occasionally pausing in his narration of his life after he had met Lennon and Korei to remind his sister how happy he was to have found her. He had a terrible tendency to repeat himself when he was excited, and few things could match the amount he was feeling right now. His family meant more to him now than ever, and the boy fully intended to make sure Lanawyn knew that.