Moonspear Yes it's into the fire we fly and the devil will burn
starboy
2,684 Posts
Ooc — Iris
Master Astronomer
Master Guardian
Master Warrior
At first it seemed as if his words put Gannet at ease. Whatever was bothering him and for whatever reason, Charon didn't really think he was the one to do anything about it. It sounded like more of an internal thing, to him.

The peace that seemed to come with the words didn't last very long. When Gannet said he 'should have more', Charon quirked an eyebrow though he did not seem to get angry or think much of it otherwise (at least nothing that one could read from his face). It didn't really matter, in Charon's view, what anyone should have or deserved because life wasn't fair. Gannet should've learned that by now. But he had made the choice to do this; maybe he did not have much choice to become thrall here -- for otherwise Charon would have likely killed him -- but he did make his choice when he assaulted wolves chasing Galaxy's murderer and had his leg broken. There had been moments of choice and he had made his. He'd made his bed, now all he could do was sleep in it. But's and if's and should-be's weren't of much good.

"That's right," Charon said. "You chose. If you want more than you have, all you can do is work for it. There's no use moping around or thinking about past choices or feeling like you should have more, because guess what, life isn't fair and you only get what you grab. I shouldn't have seen my mother get murdered by a bear when I'd only just learned how to walk or had most of my family die on me, but I picked myself up and worked for what I own now." He didn't mean to say Gannet should work to become king of the mountain. That wasn't really an option for him, now. But if he worked hard enough without complaining then maybe he would be released from his thrall-ship and maybe he could take a real place in this pack then, a different place. Family? Charon thought it unlikely, but he did not say this, because who knew. Maybe Gannet would impress him some day. Probably not today, though.
Messages In This Thread
RE: Yes it's into the fire we fly and the devil will burn - by Charon - June 18, 2018, 07:09 AM